Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mens Rights Thread

Comments

Calhoun wrote: »
    Nothing to do with not agreeing with me I don't care if your opinion differs it's drawing conclusions on my motives and implying that I am downplaying things ECT because I am not fire and pitchforks.

Your timestamps are a bit mixed up. Perhaps consider when I said that as opposed to what you posted? In order of posting... You were the one who started implying things first (and second).
    However I also know that things are nuanced and acting like a hardline feminist would just become the thing I hate.

Which I never suggested.. so the relevance? Exactly. None.
    Also when is the council of men getting together to go on the attack ?

It's not. It's called a reaction within culture. You can see it in the rise of logical thinking and the numbers of people (both male and female) beginning to call out this BS. It's a pretty good trend considering the downward movement over the last twenty years.

I'm not suggesting anything hardline or excessive. I said "a reaction" by men. You're the one taking what I've said to extremes.

iptba wrote: »
    Did he kiss her? This is the heading:

Good call. My mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Listen if you want to come across as a stereotypical enraged MRA head then off with you. Getting irrationally angry over things will only damage the cause like it already is.

I am not really interested in arguing further with you because we are on the same side of the fence but our reactions differ to it.

There's nothing wrong with male anger. Really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

py2006 wrote: »
    Apparently Nick Jonas was groped by a female fan while he was performing on stage. Not the same level of furore or coverage if it was a female star of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

There's nothing wrong with male anger. Really.

There is not but it's using it in a meaningful way and not becoming like a hardcore feminist and hating all things women because we may have had bad experiences in the past.

If we allow the discussion just to become the usual circle jerk of women wrong men good then it doesn't serve anyone.

Your timestamps are a bit mixed up. Perhaps consider when I said that as opposed to what you posted? In order of posting... You were the one who started implying things first (and second).

Which I never suggested.. so the relevance? Exactly. None.

It's not. It's called a reaction within culture. You can see it in the rise of logical thinking and the numbers of people (both male and female) beginning to call out this BS. It's a pretty good trend considering the downward movement over the last twenty years.

I'm not suggesting anything hardline or excessive. I said "a reaction" by men. You're the one taking what I've said to extremes.

As I said no point continuing further, your looking for a fight which isn't there.

As I said no point continuing further, your looking for a fight which isn't there.

I give up. Utterly bizarre.

Being careful? So... zero interpersonal contact with a female... because that's essentially what you're suggesting. Which leads to other forms of claims by women about discrimination because male managers will prefer to hire males to avoid being targeted.

I should also mention that no man should put his life on the line for a woman who isn't his wife/daughter/mother. Times have changed and masculinity has also and men do not need to put themselves second due to the advance in technology and the changing working sphere which prizes soft skills over hard skills. So, lads, it's not a masculinity crisis, it's a chance to redevelop your place in the world:D

Just reminds me of articles that complain about men not mentoring women anymore while also mentioning #Idon'tbelievehim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Something I can't help but notice recently is the...well, a certain amount of erasure of men and boys from the family picture in a number of adverts.

The first one was Lidl's "The X family saved Y euro this month!", which depicts a large family made exclusively of women; There's an older one who is supposed to be the mother, and a bunch of teenage girls with her.

Just today I saw a sign on the DART for some "motrgage help" service (well, probably "legalized scam" is the term) goin on about "protecting your family" where there were two women, clearly meant to be mother and daughter by age range, forming a "house roof" over the heads of two little girls. Two not better defined figures, which might be men by the clothing and accessories (wristwatch on one of them), are in the background, basically invisible, their faces covered.

I frankly don't care about the "Classic Family Picture" with mom, dad, boy and girl; Make it what you want - parents of the same gender, more than two, single parent, whatever really, but it's a bit strange that I've noticed a couple of adverts already where only one element is missing - guys. Even from the children perspective, which makes no sense whatsoever...and it's probably even more worrisome than deleting fathers and grandfathers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/1030/1087525-teacher/

Interesting case. Sentencing tomorrow. Roles reversed etc. No use if the words 'sick' or 'pervert' in the article

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Interesting case. Sentencing tomorrow. Roles reversed etc. No use if the words 'sick' or 'pervert' in the article

Did the crime occur in Dublin as a matter of interest or could it have occured in another part of IReland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

just caught headline on news but 3 year sentence 2 suspended so will do 1 year, assuming a year means a year.

I don't know how this compares to a male in a similar situation?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

silverharp wrote: »
    just caught headline on news but 3 year sentence 2 suspended so will do 1 year, assuming a year means a year.

it doesn't compare to a male at all, male with an underage is worse.

Had the same conversation with the wife, first its statutory rape and she technically is a pedophile or thats what she would be called if it was a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Is that your view or are you just noting how it’s perceived by many? If the former can you articulate why you feel that way?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I didn't think she would do any time tbh. She is also on the sex offenders register.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why?

I didn't think she would do any time tbh. She is also on the sex offenders register.

Color me surprised, sentenced for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

(Minor post)
    (Irish Times)
    Is there a female equivalent to "man-child"? How likely is that it would be used to describe a female CEO in the business section of the Irish Times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

The case is disgusting. What really got me was her defence that she waited until what she thought was the age of consent. Ffs you are a teacher, he's a student, its never ok no matter his age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

zapper55 wrote: »
    The case is disgusting. What really got me was her defence that she waited until what she thought was the age of consent. Ffs you are a teacher, he's a student, its never ok no matter his age

Yeah the grooming outrageous, like 15 is incredibly young

Yup. That got me too. The premeditated aspect of it all.

I've been a teacher for over a decade now (began in my 30s), I do encounter students I find attractive, and i also encounter students who will attempt something with me. The problem is one of trust. Sleeping with your student invalidates that trust because there's no real argument that can show that you're improving their lives by having sex with them. Instead, you're stunting their growth and causing their perceptions to be altered beyond what someone else of their own age group would have.

Personally, I think she should have been punished far more severely, and I feel the same for any teacher that sleeps with their students. If you're really that attracted to them, wait until they've graduated from university and have the maturity (and experience) to know what they're getting themselves into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Had the same conversation with the wife, first its statutory rape and she technically is a pedophile or thats what she would be called if it was a man.

No she is not.

iptba wrote: »
    (Minor post)
    (Irish Times)

Is there a female equivalent to "man-child"? How likely is that it would be used to describe a female CEO in the business section of the Irish Times?

Very unpopular thing I'm gonna say...I apologize in advance to all the no-nonsense, though-as-nails women that I know DO EXIST - some of them read this threads as well.

But I'm gonna say it...a non-irrelevant amount of supposedly adult women I've met dream about "white weddings" and fairytale princes, talk for hours about fictional characters in fictional romances, refuse to take responsibility for their actions and shortcomings, always blaming something or someone else, cry when faced with even moderate difficulty - and some I've dealt with couldn't even take a negative quarterly review without getting the waterworks going...so how would we call this specific, quite well represented, type?

Come think of it...have we ever heard Elizabeth Holmes, a "CEO" so childish she felt she needed to put on a silly deep voice to seem more "mature", been called names in the press?

Disclaimer: I certainly DON'T like Mark Zuckerberg, let's be clear. Nor Elon Musk, but that's all to do with the fact he actually is a supervillain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Closest comparator I can think of would be Tom Humphries. Albeit the grooming in that case seems more severe based on what we know about this one and the victim was a little younger. He got two and a half years, none of it suspended, with mitigation for his guilty plea and good character references (those referees were later excoriated in the media). I think the leniency of the sentence received a lot of criticism at the time

• Advertisement

I was listening to RTE 1 on the way home and it sounded like they were going to do a talkey piece on it but didn't catch it, however they mentioned "we will talk about what lines were crossed" no sh1t Sherlock , would they have suggested having a discussion about lines crossed if the genders had been reversed?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Very unpopular thing I'm gonna say...I apologize in advance to all the no-nonsense, though-as-nails women that I know DO EXIST - some of them read this threads as well.

But I'm gonna say it...a non-irrelevant amount of supposedly adult women I've met dream about "white weddings" and fairytale princes, talk for hours about fictional characters in fictional romances, refuse to take responsibility for their actions and shortcomings, always blaming something or someone else, cry when faced with even moderate difficulty - and some I've dealt with couldn't even take a negative quarterly review without getting the waterworks going...so how would we call this specific, quite well represented, type?

Come think of it...have we ever heard Elizabeth Holmes, a "CEO" so childish she felt she needed to put on a silly deep voice to seem more "mature", been called names in the press?

Disclaimer: I certainly DON'T like Mark Zuckerberg, let's be clear. Nor Elon Musk, but that's all to do with the fact he actually is a supervillain.

Elon would be the supervillain that everyone cheers for though :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    Elon would be the supervillain that everyone cheers for though :)

Uhu...privatizing space exploration? Taking joy out of driving with playstations on wheels? refusing to realize the "future of mobility" is not EVs but moving away from the private car as the main way of transport? Nah, thanks, I'll take The Joker or Lex Luthor over Elon, at least they don't pretend to make sense :D

Granted he's getting a lot of help - something like SpaceX shouldn't even need to exist, weren't countries and government too absorbed playing Candy Crush and watching Jersey Shore to pay attention to the fact exploration is one of the pillars of human culture. But I digress :D

H3llR4iser wrote: »

The bolded part could be called 'toxic femininity'. I dunno, I feel like an annoying amount of women see men as closer to animals and lacking in emotional intelligience. So, easily led by crying, anger, or other soft skills.

Imo, it's very strange as there are plenty of studies that show that men gain just as much emotional intelligience when put into feminine sphere's of existence.

But, times are changing and I imagine women are getting a bit fed up with the toxic women giving all women a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

I dont hear the toxic femininity phrase used in real life, seems to be confined to social media. I'm female and so are most of my friends. None of them would be like the description hellraiser referred to. I hear women described like that but I'd imagine most people are too busy living their lives to be too into such dramatics.

I was going to say thankfully but it's no accident. If someone started a conversation like he mentioned I wouldnt be long changing the subject.

• Advertisement

Frequently of results in Google searches:
    "Toxic femininity"
    About 102,000 results

"Toxic Masculinity"
    About 2,140,000 results

Google Scholar (i.e. academic publications)
    "Toxic femininity"
    About 78 results

"Toxic Masculinity"
    4,790 results

I remember there was a discussion where "toxic masculinity" was being used in critiques of an English literature text in school, but a pupil was mocked for using the term "toxic femininity"

I dont hear the toxic femininity phrase used in real life, seems to be confined to social media. I'm female and so are most of my friends. None of them would be like the description hellraiser referred to. I hear women described like that but I'd imagine most people are too busy living their lives to be too into such dramatics.

I was going to say thankfully but it's no accident. If someone started a conversation like he mentioned I wouldnt be long changing the subject.

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say?

In regards to the part in bold, women wouldn't act like that towards women as women wouldn't put up with it :P

py2006 wrote: »
    No she is not.

Ah right i don't know what you would call it, statutory rapist but if it was a man you can be sure he would be called a pedophile.

For the most part i don't hear the toxic masculinity being used in real life either, its confined mostly to social media and a bubble of people around montrose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

For the most part i don't hear the toxic masculinity being used in real life either, its confined mostly to social media and a bubble of people around montrose.

And The Guardian...I'd imagine the results would be the same for CNN, New York Times, BBC etc....it is typical of the passive aggressive language of this wave of feminism, like Mansplaining, Pale Male and Stale, Male Gaze, Manspreading etc terms which have all been normalized in recent years, it is everywhere and it is repugnant ... it is consistent with the infantile language and tone of today's feminist...you know the type, the empowered woman who thinks just the same as all the other empowered women!

https://www.google.ie/search?source=hp&ei=xau8XfWnK9a61fAP8fmP-AY&q=toxic+masculinity+the+guardian&oq=toxic+masculinity+the+guardian&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0.1773.9343..9647...0.0..0.164.1835.29j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131j0i22i30.U57HZ-dB5No&ved=0ahUKEwi1nqaggsrlAhVWXRUIHfH8A28Q4dUDCAY&uact=5

And The Guardian...I'd imagine the results would be the same for CNN, New York Times, BBC etc....it is typical of the passive aggressive language of this wave of feminism, like Mansplaining, Pale Male and Stale, Male Gaze, Manspreading etc terms which have all been normalized in recent years, it is everywhere and it is repugnant ... it is consistent with the infantile language and tone of today's feminist...you know the type, the empowered woman who thinks just the same as all the other empowered women!

https://www.google.ie/search?source=hp&ei=xau8XfWnK9a61fAP8fmP-AY&q=toxic+masculinity+the+guardian&oq=toxic+masculinity+the+guardian&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0.1773.9343..9647...0.0..0.164.1835.29j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131j0i22i30.U57HZ-dB5No&ved=0ahUKEwi1nqaggsrlAhVWXRUIHfH8A28Q4dUDCAY&uact=5

I am going to be honest with you for the most part i have turned away from news media that fights the genderwar politics.

Its like earlier on this thread when i was explaining whats happening in games media. Essentially the same infiltration of politically minded journalists had taken hold of the gaming media and they used them as vehicles of their own agendas. For the most part they were attack on white males but also allot of race baiting.

Best example i can give is Kingdom Come Deliverance, they got into a big spat with the developer of the game because there was no POC in the game. However the game was designed with historic accuracy and the developer knew their history that it would be impossible for POC to be in the game. They still branded the game racist but the gamers themselves just ignored the media.

Net-net of all this is that the subscriptions in gaming media have been falling steadily and a group nearly went under earlier in this year but were purchased by a new company. When the company tried to earn some income off the websites through advertisement the editorial staff who don't seem to understand how bills are paid pushed back.

The publisher was having none of it and pushed back even further and now they all have to keep away from the politics or be fired.

The media on a whole needs to start getting with the program, attacking your audience might get you some click bait but its not sustainable and you loose credibility as an institution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I am going to be honest with you for the most part i have turned away from news media that fights the genderwar politics.

Its like earlier on this thread when i was explaining whats happening in games media. Essentially the same infiltration of politically minded journalists had taken hold of the gaming media and they used them as vehicles of their own agendas. For the most part they were attack on white males but also allot of race baiting.

Best example i can give is Kingdom Come Deliverance, they got into a big spat with the developer of the game because there was no POC in the game. However the game was designed with historic accuracy and the developer knew their history that it would be impossible for POC to be in the game. They still branded the game racist but the gamers themselves just ignored the media.

Net-net of all this is that the subscriptions in gaming media have been falling steadily and a group nearly went under earlier in this year but were purchased by a new company. When the company tried to earn some income off the websites through advertisement the editorial staff who don't seem to understand how bills are paid pushed back.

The publisher was having none of it and pushed back even further and now they all have to keep away from the politics or be fired.

The media on a whole needs to start getting with the program, attacking your audience might get you some click bait but its not sustainable and you loose credibility as an institution.

This wave of feminism, and the broader woke culture, is hysteria, it is the consequence of people naively being radicalised by media/social media rabbit holes...who know how to make noise on Twitter in particular, we all know the narcissist type I am referring to...

It is not congruent with Free Market Economies, it will continue to reek havoc with the Corporations that have embraced it, the list will get longer and longer as each year passes until there is a fight back....Gillette has already been badly burned by embracing it...it won't get any better for them anytime soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SByx5SkeL8A

Gerry Harvey from Harvey Norman makes some good points but goes to show you how we find ourselves in a very strange corporate culture....this culture is seeing men, across the Multi Nationals and Public sector being discriminated against!

This wave of feminism, and the broader woke culture, is hysteria, it is the consequence of people naively being radicalised by media/social media rabbit holes...who know how to make noise on Twitter in particular, we all know the narcissist type I am referring to...

It is not congruent with Free Market Economies, it will continue to reek havoc with the Corporations that have embraced it, the list will get longer and longer as each year passes until there is a fight back....Gillette has already been badly burned by embracing it...it won't get any better for them anytime soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SByx5SkeL8A

Gerry Harvey from Harvey Norman makes some good points but goes to show you how we find ourselves in a very strange corporate culture....this culture is seeing men, across the Multi Nationals and Public sector being discriminated against!

Look at blizzard as an example of hypocrisy, they made allot of the same mistakes as corporations that embrace it. They don't actually mean it and are only virtue signalling, similar to Gillette.

I don't think Gillette or Blizzard were taken down by these politics its just that they thought embracing them would somehow save them from the markets and they found out that, 1. the people who go for these politics in the extreme don't like capitalists so for the most part wont buy their product, 2. you drive off allot of your actual customers by embracing this **** in an insincere way and making your customer base out to be the bad guy, and 3 when push comes to shove you will always be expected to act in accordance with the current FOTM protest going on.

For blizzard they are so afraid of pissing off China on the topic of Hong Kong they have protests at their main game release event.

It's indeed no accident - it's the same course of events that makes it so I don't have any male (nor female!) friends talking about "them bitches", making jokes about women and sandwiches, guzzling beer until they pass out, spending their life at the gym (actually, I'm the ONLY person with a gym membership in my group!!!) or with questionable Chinese writings they can't read tattooed on a forearm. I despise these types and steer clear of them - in no small part because I'd have nothing to share with them.

But I know these dudes DO EXIST and there are a LOT of them; I see them around, I sometimes interact with them in "open" environments.

Same with the "type" of woman I described - not a single one to find amongst my friends, and dare I say, I'd struggle to find one in the wider acquaintances (the office coming in mind first). But I've met an absolute TONNE of them - friends of friends, girlfriends of friends, through relatives, even dating.

I could tell you how I also ended up dating one of these and the slow process of realizing who she really was behind the "perfect woman for a month" facade...but that'd be a longer story :)

Actually, I hear it quite a bit abroad used by women from western countries. Mostly Americans, but also English women of University student age. I've also encountered it from US/Canadian women in their 40s.

You'll find a lot more radical feminists traveling around Asia and willing to spout their nonsense. Probably because most other travelers aren't confident enough with their English to argue or the locals don't understand it at all.

Lastly, I've encountered it from visiting professors with majors in Philosophy, psychology, and HR. Mostly coming from American universities, but also universities in the UK. Being the sort of person I am, I queried the term, and found most of them unable to truly argue their points. Didn't change their stance in the slightest when faced with logical opposition. They're living within a reality of their own making, and are completely unwilling to consider any other possibilities.

In many ways, it's like a religion. Sometimes facts and references to studies are used, but they'll fall back on "faith" as being justification for their beliefs.

• Advertisement

Actually, I hear it quite a bit abroad used by women from western countries. Mostly Americans, but also English women of University student age. I've also encountered it from US/Canadian women in their 40s.

You'll find a lot more radical feminists traveling around Asia and willing to spout their nonsense. Probably because most other travelers aren't confident enough with their English to argue or the locals don't understand it at all.

Lastly, I've encountered it from visiting professors with majors in Philosophy, psychology, and HR. Mostly coming from American universities, but also universities in the UK. Being the sort of person I am, I queried the term, and found most of them unable to truly argue their points. Didn't change their stance in the slightest when faced with logical opposition. They're living within a reality of their own making, and are completely unwilling to consider any other possibilities.

In many ways, it's like a religion. Sometimes facts and references to studies are used, but they'll fall back on "faith" as being justification for their beliefs.

Luckily we don't encounter much of that here and for the most part i would say they would be told to cop on. It reeks a little bit of westerners looking down their nose on other cultures.

Luckily we don't encounter much of that here and for the most part i would say they would be told to cop on. It reeks a little bit of westerners looking down their nose on other cultures.

That's common but then, Asians do the same towards western cultures. In any case, you're lucky that Toxic ... is so uncommon. It bugs the crap out of me when I hear it being used.

That's common but then, Asians do the same towards western cultures. In any case, you're lucky that Toxic ... is so uncommon. It bugs the crap out of me when I hear it being used.

Imo, there the female version of a guy who tries to make male friends by complaining about women. It's just a sign of a failing of character tbh.

I imagine most women get cringed out with that type of needy behaviour

Finish this sentence:

Man who forced his ex into sex at machete-point sent to,...

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1190544334212517890

Finish this sentence:

Man who forced his ex into sex at machete-point sent to,...

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1190544334212517890

As is trending on Twitter, what is another word for forced sex ?

20 years, even if it is in a psychiatric hospital, is not a lenient sentence, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

As is trending on Twitter, what is another word for forced sex ?

‘Sexual intercourse without consent’

She initially was charged with aggravated burglary, assault with a deadly weapon and unlawful restraint, among other counts, the station reported.

She was sentenced Tuesday to the custody of the state Department of Public Health and Human Services for the offense of sexual intercourse without consent — as the world “rape” is not used in Montana code.

The judge ruled that Mears be placed in “an appropriate mental health facility.”

She was also designated as a Tier 2 sex offender and required to complete appropriate treatment and counseling, according to the station.

Mears suffers from a “mental disease or defect,” according to the court documents — and she was given the maximum penalty allowed by Montana law under those circumstances.

We have similar legislation in Ireland where the offence of aggravated sexual assault carries the same maximum penalty as rape - life imprisonment. They’re different offences but have the same effect in law.

My point is more that had it been a man it would be called rape no matter what it's call in Montana as it was a newyork paper reporting.

In fact we have gotten to a stage where in some cases we lesson the meaning of rape as we equate it to women engaging in sexual intercourse but then decide later to change their mind (Rosemary McCabe comes to mind.). Yet in this case it seems hard to label correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

My point is more that had it been a man it would be called rape no matter what it's call in Montana as it was a newyork paper reporting.

In fact we have gotten to a stage where in some cases we lesson the meaning of rape as we equate it to women engaging in sexual intercourse but then decide later to change their mind (Rosemary McCabe comes to mind.). Yet in this case it seems hard to label correctly.

No I get where you’re coming from, I really do, but the case above is a bad example to make the point because it’s just as likely a man charged with rape who had mental health issues would be given an equivalent sentence upon conviction. That’s why I was saying even though in law the offences are different, the effects are the same, in law at least.

Socially, of course, anyone can call it whatever they like as their opinion has no effect in law, and therefore has about as much effect in law as Ruth Coppinger swinging her knickers about in the Dail when she disagrees with a man who was charged with rape being found not guilty in a Court of Law.

• Advertisement

I am fine with the sentence and I get what your saying. I'm concerned about the language used by the media to describe what happened.

I am not so sure had the situation been reversed if they would have used it in that way.

In a home grown example this week we only have to look at the teacher convicted of having sex with a 16 year old. Allot of the articles are written in a very sympathetic way.

Advertisement