Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Music Before/After**

• 14-06-2012 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

I know it's not for another week but I think everyone will start focusing in on it from now due to being largely finished with other exams. I'm probably still going to leave everything until Wednesday though :P :pac:

So, thoughts? What's everyone hoping for for Q1?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

I will sob uncontrollably if Barry is up as the main question!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

leaveiton wrote: »
    I know it's not for another week but I think everyone will start focusing in on it from now due to being largely finished with other exams. I'm probably still going to leave everything until Wednesday though :P :pac:

So, thoughts? What's everyone hoping for for Q1?

Uggghhh. Haven't even thought of Music yet. And kinda hoping for an A2..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I will sob uncontrollably if Barry is up as the main question!
    Barry is the easiest main question though, there is only so much that can be asked on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Barry is the easiest main question though, there is only so much that can be asked on it.

True that, Barry is actually one of the nicer ones you can get for Q1!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

wouldn't mind Bach as Q1. favourite! :)

• Advertisement

Bubbleope wrote: »
    wouldn't mind Bach as Q1. favourite! :)
    eww

eww

O: the questions on it are SIMPLE! :D that's why i like it. i prefer listening to queen but the questions they ask on that are a bit more complicated tbh. bach all the way. :) or tchaikovsky. barry can g'way cause he gives me a headache. D:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Hoping for Barry as the question 1 atm, good questions and the music really grows on you after a few listens...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lamph

Nazata wrote: »
    and the music really grows on you after a few listens...

No. No it doesn't.
    The emperor has no new suit. He's actually just naked. :P

what essays are people gonna focus most on? :) i still need to go and get my music folder from wherever it is.. :L didn't even look at any music yet! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Can anyone post essay plans or how you go about answering the essay question? I really need full marks on it! I have never done one really and don't know where to start! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

Personally i'm concentrating on sean nos, changes in the 20th century, north america, song tradition, harping and ornamentation. Changes in the 20th century hasn't come up since 06 i think :)

I'm only learning Sean Nos, North America and stuff about Micheal O'Suileabhain and hoping I can fit them in somewhere :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Hoping for Barry or Tchaik for a nice Q1 :D for the essays I'm focusing on Fusion, Sean-nos singing, Influence of trad music in North America and Canada, The Harping tradition/Bunting/Belfast Harp Festival and I'll probably know abit on the Uillean pipes. You only need around a page lads so keep it short and to the point! My teacher said to think of it like geography! To get full marks they wanna see SRPs not waffle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lamph

Music is one of my favourite LC subs...
    ...I've gone thru the past papers and have put together my findings in a video.
    This is it:-

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

Woah woah woah. We all know Tchaikovsky is coming up on Q1.

lorrieq wrote: »
    I actually think Barry could be the Q.1 this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I actually think Barry could be the Q.1 this year!

Yep, agree. Barry Q1, discussing the C movement/sections with a division of a question on C4-Hommage to Horowitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Really want Tchaikovsky as the main question!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

lorrieq wrote: »

Two words:

Sylvia Plath.

• Advertisement

Two words:

Sylvia Plath.

Nah she's not on the course for this year ;)

In all seriousness though it's not really the same thing, all 4 works will be on the paper so it's not like people will be leaving any out (or at least I hope not :P)

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Can anyone post essay plans or how you go about answering the essay question? I really need full marks on it! I have never done one really and don't know where to start! :(

which essay/s? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Dreading the listening and Irish music. I'm going to try cover fusions, North America, collectors and I could waffle on about sean nós or harping.
    For composing I'd love just a normal minor melody writing and major backing chord question. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ehshup

how much do you need to write for the essays? i wrote a sample answer on The Chieftains for fusion but it's not too long, it's about 320 words, I basically just list the different types of music they experimented with and give a detailed description of one of their fusion projects. Is that enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Murphdog94

ehshup wrote: »
    how much do you need to write for the essays? i wrote a sample answer on The Chieftains for fusion but it's not too long, it's about 320 words, I basically just list the different types of music they experimented with and give a detailed description of one of their fusion projects. Is that enough?

320words??!!
    Its only 10 marks. They only give you a little bit of space to write in.
    I'd be happy with 125 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ivanh

So I'm hoping that Barry/Bach is question 1

And for Irish Music I'm leanring Sean Nós, Harping Tradition, Regional Styles and The Chieftans :D

And I mean that in the sense that I have to learn them all before tomorrow :/

Happy Days..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lantern..

I know this is last minute,(better late then never!) but I'm just listening to all the works and I'm getting stumped.

What sort of questions do they actually ask in the works? I looked at past papers but still getting stumped. I feel like I'm either not learning enough or learning too much.

So what sort of questions do they ask for all the different works?
    And if there's another thread with this exact question, I would appreciate it if you could link it. Thanks!

melodic features(repetiton, sequence, repeated notes, broken chords/arpeggios, chromatic)
    rhythmic features(syncopation, dotted, smooth, changing time signatures, unusual time signature, polymetry)
    compositional features(canon, imitation, antiphony, ostinato, word-painting, wedging, splicing, diminution, retrograde)
    instrumental features(pizzicato, arco, virbato, con sord, hand clusters, harmonics, flautando, detache, glissando, bending)
    themes
    sections/movements of the work
    instrumentation(melody & accompaniment)
    texture(homophonic, monophonic, polyphonic)
    explain a certain term(ritornello etc.)
    features of the style[(Baroque Era: Bach = continuo section, figured bass, canon, word-painting, aria, recitative, chaconne, pedal note, melisma)(Romantic Era: Tchaikovsky = large orchestra, rich harmonies, programme music, lyrical melody)(20th Century Era: Barry = changing time signatures, polymetry, atonal, no fixed structure, retrograde)(Mixture of Styles- Ballad-pop/Opera/Rock: Queen = solo vocal with broken chordal piano & guitar accompaniment; antiphony - polyphonic texture, imitation, stacatto chords, italien text; heavy drums, loud dynamics, syncopation, guitar techniques such as distortion, bends, licks and riffs)]

they can ask you to fill in a bar or two as well. so it's no harm in learning the themes. S:
    they like asking about "changes" that happened so make sure you know one or two differences between each section of each work

hopefully that sorta helped? :)

All good advice above! They can also ask things like "Describe what happens next," where you just have to have a good knowledge of the work and what comes after the excerpt. They can ask wordy questions like "Describe Barry's use of Irish melodies in Piano Quartet No. 1" and I think there was a question on my mock asking about Tchaikovsky's use of programme music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 screeeewed

What is the timing for the composing.and harmony questions would ye say..?:)

Advertisement