Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Music Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

leaveiton wrote: »
    I'm not sure what kind of structure you follow for your major melodies but minor melodies are pretty much the same except you don't have to modulate.
    And raise the 7th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

biohaiid wrote: »
    And raise the 7th.

Well yeah, obviously :P But that's not really to do with the structure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

leaveiton wrote: »
    Well yeah, obviously :P But that's not really to do with the structure

No one else going to modulate into the relative major? Or raise the 6th?

excellent-racoon1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sheeba7

For the minor melody b , third phrase do we have to start on the first note of the minor scale or can we start on the third

sheeba7 wrote: »
    For the minor melody b , third phrase do we have to start on the first note of the minor scale or can we start on the third

Depends if you modulate. If you modulate, you should start on third, if not, whatever pleases you! :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sheeba7

Thank you ChemHickey .
    You are a lifesaver:D

Anyone have any fool proof way of knowing which section the Tchaik is from? I can tell, but it takes a whilín... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ehshup

So am I right in thinking you raise 6th and 7th if you are ascending like that in a scale, but apart from that when descending from 7th to 6th you have to lower them by a semitone, and if not either of these situations you can raise the 7th whenever you like as long as it sounds musical?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ehshup

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Anyone have any fool proof way of knowing which section the Tchaik is from? I can tell, but it takes a whilín... :o
    Well the intro is obvious, if the strife is just strings without tutti then it's exposition, if it's love theme and it's played by either cor anglais and viola, or flute and some strings, then it's also exposition. If you hear the warped Friar Lawrence theme then you know it's the development (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxvGO0Ac1Qk&feature=fvwrel ) then if you hear strife with tutti it's recap, if you hear love theme with the strings playing the love theme then it's recap, (especially if you can hear timpani or fast violin playing), and the coda is pretty clear too...if that helps...Look at the videos though, it helps a lot

ehshup wrote: »
    So am I right in thinking you raise 6th and 7th if you are ascending like that in a scale, but apart from that when descending from 7th to 6th you have to lower them by a semitone, and if not either of these situations you can raise the 7th whenever you like as long as it sounds musical?

Finally, another melodic man!!

For melodic minors, you raise both the 6th and 7th when ascending.
    Then, on the descent, you "lower" them once again. eg. F# G# A G♮ F♮

But, in auxiliary notes, you must be careful. Eg, you would go A G# A not A G A.

Also, you would go G# F# G#

You would also go E F♮ E etc.

But, in turn, you can ignore the melodic minor and just do harmonic. (More marks for me :P ;) :P)

• Advertisement

ehshup wrote: »
    Well the intro is obvious, if the strife is just strife then it's exposition, if it's love theme and it's played by either cor anglais and viola, or flute and some strings, then it's also exposition. If you hear the warped Friar Lawrence theme then you know it's the development (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxvGO0Ac1Qk&feature=fvwrel ) then if you hear strife with tutti it's recap, if you hear love theme with the strings playing the love theme then it's recap, (especially if you can hear timpani or fast violin playing), and the coda is pretty clear too...if that helps...Look at the videos though, it helps a lot

Thanks! I answered your question while you were answering mine! :D TEAM-WORK!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

nice question on justin bieber would be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Lads Im after really confusing myself in regards to Cantata No.78! Dunno which way is up now when it comes to the movements, arias etc. Anyone wanna help me out? :/

Lads Im after really confusing myself in regards to Cantata No.78! Dunno which way is up now when it comes to the movements, arias etc. Anyone wanna help me out? :/

You'll know the opening.

The aria duet is the one with the women voices (can't miss it)

The tenor recit is quite bare and disjointed, huge jumps and quite high

the tenor aria is in 6/8 and the flute obligatto.

Bass recit gets really low, deep voice and string accompaniment

Bass aria sounds like an oboe concerto!

The finish is just the voices and you can barely here the accompaniment!

Hope it helps a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Freewheelin_

excellent-racoon1.jpg

Don't be spouting misinformation. You only raise the 6th when going to the 7th through the 6th. Not necessary and basic will get you full marks so I won't bother trying to be fancy.

Now lads. Can someone give me a list of features of Irish music? If it's not in Irish and isn't sean nos, I hate that question.

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    nice question on justin bieber would be grand

Sure S Club 7 came up in 2002!

excellent-racoon1.jpg

Don't be spouting misinformation. You only raise the 6th when going to the 7th through the 6th. Not necessary and basic will get you full marks so I won't bother trying to be fancy.

Now lads. Can someone give me a list of features of Irish music? If it's not in Irish and isn't sean nos, I hate that question.

I'm not spouting misinformation. Anyone doing LC music should know the difference between a melodic and harmonic minor. It's not necessary but examiners find harmonic minors less 'Western' which is effectively what our exam is based on.

The first one (chorus?) is all 4 voices and a little faster than the chorale.

Everyone knows and loves the aria duetto though

The recitatives sound ****, that's how you recognise them. The one with barely anything is the Tenor recitative (dry/secco), the bass one sounds a little better.

Tenor aria is the only other solo voiced movement that isn't a recitative

Great way to remember the bass aria is that the oboe plays it like it sounds - it goes "bass ah-ria, bass ah-ria" etc. Works for me at least.

The chorale is all four voices, slow and church like (funnily enough)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I'm not spouting misinformation. Anyone doing LC music should know the difference between a melodic and harmonic minor. It's not necessary but examiners find harmonic minors less 'Western' which is effectively what our exam is based on.

Nowhere on the syllabus does it say that you need to know that, it doesn't make a difference at the end of the day. Why are you trying to be controversial?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 screeeewed

We all know chemhickey will be coming out with an A1 anyways..fair play to ya helping everyone:) would ya know in bo-rhap..would the 'magnifico' in operatic section would be an example of reverb?

• Advertisement

M&S* wrote: »

Nowhere on the syllabus does it say that you need to know that, it doesn't make a difference at the end of the day. Why are you trying to be controversial?

It's not mentioned on the syllabus because it's a given. You're expected to know it. Like you're expected to know musical notation and instrumentation.

I'm not trying to be controversial, but on several occasions different teachers have told me to try and avoid the harmonic minor as it is too Eastern for the exam.

Just stick to whatever you've always done.

screeeewed wrote: »
    We all know chemhickey will be coming out with an A1 anyways..fair play to ya helping everyone:) would ya know in bo-rhap..would the 'magnifico' in operatic section would be an example of reverb?

Yes :)

It's not mentioned on the syllabus because it's a given. You're expected to know it. Like you're expected to know musical notation and instrumentation.

I'm not trying to be controversial, but on several occasions different teachers have told me to try and avoid the harmonic minor as it is too Eastern for the exam.

Ah okay that's fair enough, sorry if it sounded like I was having a go. I just would have presumed that the leaving cert standard would be slightly lower than that sort of understanding. But yeah, sticking to what you know at this stage is best!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ismiseaoife

Can someone give me a list of features of Irish music? If it's not in Irish and isn't sean nos, I hate that question.

Just remember MRS FROSTED

M - Modal
    R - wide Range
    S - Seventh

F - Flattened (flattened seventh)
    R - Repeated last note
    O - Ornamentation (Donegal - little, Munster - more, Connemara - lots)
    S - Solo
    T - Ternary form
    E - tunes learned by Ear
    D - little use of Dynamics

I doubt ill get the a1 in the end though.

Yes, it should suffice. you could also mention it's called the Bell Effect.

M&S* wrote: »

Ah okay that's fair enough, sorry if it sounded like I was having a go. I just would have presumed that the leaving cert standard would be slightly lower than that sort of understanding. But yeah, sticking to what you know at this stage is best!

Nah you're fine. I hope I didn't come across to harsh either. Just trying to help people out. =P I'm just praying it'll be easy!

I didn't think it was, I thought it was panning.

For example, this a plain track:

http://soundcloud.com/user4817211/tangerine-12-string

And this is the track with reverb:

http://soundcloud.com/user4817211/tangerine-12-string-reverb

The "Magnifico" doesn't really sound like that. Of course, I may be wrong.

I wanted an A1 until our teacher was replaced by a bollox and had to learn all of Bach and Barry..and the melody writing myself;( nah, you will, come on ya know everything:L if ya had good practicle,your sorted:) sound, thanks:D

It's the bell effect alright with multi tracking?

• Advertisement

Panning is when the sounds come out of different speakers..'easy come easy go'..so its not that anyway:P

Advertisement