Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Music Before/After**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

screeeewed wrote: »
    ChemHickey wrote: »
    We all know chemhickey will be coming out with an A1 anyways..fair play to ya helping everyone:) would ya know in bo-rhap..would the 'magnifico' in operatic section would be an example of reverb?
    I doubt ill get the a1 in the end though.

Yes, it should suffice. you could also mention it's called the Bell Effect.

I wanted an A1 until our teacher was replaced by a bollox and had to learn all of Bach and Barry..and the melody writing myself;( nah, you will, come on ya know everything:L if ya had good practicle,your sorted:) sound, thanks:D

It went well, not perfectly! Praying for a nice paper. Check out the post primary music teachers association's website under resources and then under our set workA. It is helpful and explains everything. =D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Freewheelin_

Panning is when the sounds come out of different speakers..'easy come easy go'..so its not that anyway:P

Yeah, in the book it just says "bell-like arrangement of the chord Cm7 ...which is spread out over 5 voices".

Also, if you listen with headphones, the voices come in at different sides, which is arguably panning.

EDIT: Not that anyone should try to argue on the exam. I mean, the course is wrong in one aspect as it says that there is a bell tree on the bit "sent shivers down my spine" but it really is Brian May playing below the bridge on the guitar, not that I'll say that on the exam :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

leaveiton wrote: »
    Well yeah, obviously :P But that's not really to do with the structure

Hey now, I only learned minors earlier today. Quite proud I remembered that. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

We were always taught it was reverb, never heard of the bell effect until now, thanks guys! :pac:

Just a very quick question, we only really skimmed over dynamics in melody writing in class. Is it just a simple matter of adding in a few things like f, p, mf, mp, and things like crescendos/diminuendos? I'd know where to put them and everything, just making sure that's all you need to do.

• Advertisement

Panning is when the sounds come out of different speakers..'easy come easy go'..so its not that anyway:P

Yeah, in the book it just says "bell-like arrangement of the chord Cm7 ...which is spread out over 5 voices".

Also, if you listen with headphones, the voices come in at different sides, which is arguably panning.

EDIT: Not that anyone should try to argue on the exam. I mean, the course is wrong in one aspect as it says that there is a bell tree on the bit "sent shivers down my spine" but it really is Brian May playing below the bridge on the guitar, not that I'll say that on the exam :P

To be cert call it the bell tree effect. That's what I've been calling it and then give an explanation for it. eg, he plays the area behind the bridge to produce a bell tree effect which aids an exquisite use of word painting.

Just a very quick question, we only really skimmed over dynamics in melody writing in class. Is it just a simple matter of adding in a few things like f, p, mf, mp, and things like crescendos/diminuendos? I'd know where to put them and everything, just making sure that's all you need to do.

Yup, I normally start mf < f > mf > mp or something.

Here's hoping for a major, upbeat-less melody.

Yep, that's it. But don't use too many! It takes away from its brilliance!

Ah yeah, my fantastic melodies! :pac: Might just do a Gerald Barry on it!

Ah yeah, my fantastic melodies! :pac: Might just do a Gerald Barry on it!

I did that before and handed it into my teacher! I put my friends name on it though but she saw through it as she said she knows my style! I usually end up going into the 'stratosphere' with them. Or changing to bass clef.

But all that has changed as I need that a1!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 screeeewed

To be cert call it the bell tree effect. That's what I've been calling it and then give an explanation for it. eg, he plays the area behind the bridge to produce a bell tree effect which aids an exquisite use of word painting.

I'm sooo confused but anyways..what would be an example ..a definate example of reverb?:P

I'm sooo confused but anyways..what would be an example ..a definate example of reverb?:P

The very first line :P. "Is this the real life?". You can hear 'life' slightly echoing which is basically what reverb is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 screeeewed

The very first line :P. "Is this the real life?". You can hear 'life' slightly echoing which is basically what reverb is.

As simple as that...:L what an eejit I am, thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

Interesting little fact, maybe ye all know it already but it's thought that the uncertain key of Bb major/ G minor is to reflect the lines "Is this the real life?" :P Probably won't get to mention that tomorrow though!

is-this-real-life-or-is-this-just-fanta-sea.jpg

dmca93 wrote: »
    Interesting little fact, maybe ye all know it already but it's thought that the uncertain key of Bb major/ G minor is to reflect the lines "Is this the real life?" :P Probably won't get to mention that tomorrow though!

Cool! Hopefully it'll be Q1! It'd be lovely! =Q

Can anyone give/link to a list of instrumentation in the different sections of Tchaikovsky?

I'm awful at identifying instruments with Tchaikovsky.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

okay i'm just after reading "Batman Motif". apparently it's in the opera section. O: what does it even sound like!? :eek: help? :o

ChemHickey wrote:

Me too, although when my class was saying it to our teacher she was hoping it wouldn't be, but they can't asking you anything too difficult with Queen, can they? Also I hope there is minimal imputing of notes, like one at best. I absolutely despise it!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sheeba7

If I was to learn only one irish essay , which one is most likely to come up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 whatsec

ChemHickey wrote:

Me too, although when my class was saying it to our teacher she was hoping it wouldn't be, but they can't asking you anything too difficult with Queen, can they? Also I hope there is minimal imputing of notes, like one at best. I absolutely despise it!

Yeah my teacher said she hoped it wouldn't be queen too, apparently queen is usually the worst answered question on the paper. I guess people think they know it and don't study it, I could understand how that would happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 M.R.B

They'd probably love that type of crap, but when you think it out, it couldn't really be Gmin, because the Bb would then be minor as its the 3rd chord...

From someone who despises Barry, is there a name for the "technique" he uses in section G, the one where he mashes up the beginning and end of all the other sections ? I generally just say he "creates an interesting melange" (:p) but is there an actual term for it !?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 M.R.B

whatsec wrote: »
    Yeah my teacher said she hoped it wouldn't be queen too, apparently queen is usually the worst answered question on the paper. I guess people think they know it and don't study it, I could understand how that would happen

Although I'd love it as the main question, I don't think they would/could put it. Generally they print off music to accompany the main question, Ive always wondered if they are allowed to print off the music seeing as its copyrighted...:confused:

Mind you, you could probably say the same for The Beatles on the other course, but that has come up as the main question !

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭clairey__Ox

M.R.B wrote: »
    They'd probably love that type of crap, but when you think it out, it couldn't really be Gmin, because the Bb would then be minor as its the 3rd chord...

From someone who despises Barry, is there a name for the "technique" he uses in section G, the one where he mashes up the beginning and end of all the other sections ? I generally just say he "creates an interesting melange" (:p) but is there an actual term for it !?

It's called telescoping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

I'm feeling a bit doomed, you know the feeling when you realise everything you don't know will probably come up together and i need this to go decently well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm feeling a bit doomed, you know the feeling when you realise everything you don't know will probably come up together and i need this to go decently well :)
    I know nothing tbh..

OMG. I've only ever heard The Bass Recitative in Bach for the 1st time this morning, my Teacher was so ridiculous it wasn't even funny. She didn't half finish Queen/Bach with us.. Useless fúck..

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

I know nothing tbh..

OMG. I've only ever heard The Bass Recitative in Bach for the 1st time this morning, my Teacher was so ridiculous it wasn't even funny. She didn't half finish Queen/Bach with us.. Useless fúck..
    it's the worst feeling ever, bach for question 1 please God, most of the questions are just naming the pieces, barry will be a nightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

If Minor Melodies doesn't come up i'm done! They've been on 2006, 2008, 2010. Surely they have to come up? Last year they gave them a 6/8 anacrusis, so the only really tough melody left is minor! Please god!

My teacher is a corrector and apparently they weren't happy with the 6/8 melody last year...... so it could make an appearance again!

I'm praying for a 6/8 minor melody! I hate 3/4 with a passion especially with an anacrusis.

• Advertisement

I'm praying for a 6/8 minor melody! I hate 3/4 with a passion especially with an anacrusis.

Most of the exams have been fairly easy this year other than Maths so I'm hoping for a major melody in 4/4 and no upbeat :P

Advertisement