Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Music Before/After**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Yessssssssssssss. I ****ín' LOVED that paper! Composing was amazing! Loved the Melody and the Backing chords, definitely got an A in that paper! Listening was class also, really really liked it! :D

Did anyone else pick the Hiers De Picardie (or whatever) yoke for the Bach? :P

Yeah actually what was that answer? It definitely wasn't Tierce de Picardie (sorry :pac:), I didn't think it was obligato, and I'd never heard of chaconne... so I picked chaconne :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 water_piano

Bubbleope wrote: »
    wtf was that!? never even saw it in me life like! :pac:
    i picked chaconne as a guess... :L probably wrong :pac:

It was the Chaconne, the picardie third is in the Chorale and its how it ends on Gmajor :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭checkcheek

Was back Mvt 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Lads random and pointless question, but I was an attendant for the exam today and does anyone know the name of that really lovely Irish song, think it might've been on the 2nd CD? It's the kinda song you'd have heard before but wouldn't have a name for it, if you get me. My brother does music and he said he can't think of any of the studied pieces that fit what I'm trying to explain but meh, need that song. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

It was the Chaconne, the picardie third is in the Chorale and its how it ends on Gmajor :)

god lucky day for me so. :D got the slip jig too as well. :D people seemed to have got that too so i'm happy. :D ? did everyone write slip jig? S: please say yes. :P
    my foot was pure going to the rhythm in the exam centre like. :pac: trying to figure out the dance haha ah. :D

• Advertisement

Bubbleope wrote: »
    god lucky day for me so. :D got the slip jig too as well. :D people seemed to have got that too so i'm happy. :D ? did everyone write slip jig? S: please say yes. :P
    my foot was pure going to the rhythm in the exam centre like. :pac: trying to figure out the dance haha ah. :D

I said reel, pretty sure I'm wrong though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Slow Show wrote: »
    Lads random and pointless question, but I was an attendant for the exam today and does anyone know the name of that really lovely Irish song, think it might've been on the 2nd CD? It's the kinda song you'd have heard before but wouldn't have a name for it, if you get me. My brother does music and he said he can't think of any of the studied pieces that fit what I'm trying to explain but meh, need that song. :p

It's not a studied piece but if it's the one I think you're on about that's Mo Ghile Mhear (sp?)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Kakes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auSa0YfkxFE this?? called mo ghile mear :)

Kakes wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auSa0YfkxFE this?? called mo ghile mear :)

i really liked this. (': music is a lovely subject when ya can just listen to pretty music during an exam. hehe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭checkcheek

leaveiton wrote: »
    Yessssssssssssss. I ****ín' LOVED that paper! Composing was amazing! Loved the Melody and the Backing chords, definitely got an A in that paper! Listening was class also, really really liked it! :D

Did anyone else pick the Hiers De Picardie (or whatever) yoke for the Bach? :P

Yeah actually what was that answer? It definitely wasn't Tierce de Picardie (sorry :pac:), I didn't think it was obligato, and I'd never heard of chaconne... so I picked chaconne :P

Tierce de picardie is when u start in a minor key and modulate through keys to get to the major. Mvt 1 starts in g minor and ends in gmajor. So tierce di picardie

• Advertisement

checkcheek wrote: »
    Tierce de picardie is when u start in a minor key and modulate through keys to get to the major. Mvt 1 starts in g minor and ends in gmajor. So tierce di picardie

Theres also a chaconne so either would could be right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

checkcheek wrote: »

That's somewhat of a definition, but more accurately a Tierce de Picardie is where, during the final cadence of a piece the 3rd of the minor tonic is raised a semitone to make it a major...
    Not sure if they'll give marks as it didn't occur during the excerpt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Nazata wrote: »
    That's somewhat of a definition, but more accurately a Tierce de Picardie is where, during the final cadence of a piece the 3rd of the minor tonic is raised a semitone to make it a major...
    Not sure if they'll give marks as it didn't occur during the excerpt...
    Did it not occur at the very end of the excerpt though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iMMer5ion

I thought the Bach extract was from the Chorus (the first section), and I had seen Chaconne in the Chorus the night before, so I'm hoping it was actually the Chorus!
    I also said it was a Slip Jig, 9/8 Time signature.
    If I can remember other stuff I'll say...

I was bricking myself cos Barry might have been Q1
    When I saw Boh. Rhapsody I swear I heard "HALLELUJAH, HALLELUJAH, HALLELUUUUUJAH!!!!" !!!!!!!
    Composing section was awful though....minors... grr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Lovely paper! Made quite a monumental mistake on Q1 on the composition paper however.. Wrote the whole thing in the bass clef, realised three quarters of the way through :pac: Got it changed to the treble clef (except the last bar) with seconds to spare :pac: Happy enough!

iMMer5ion wrote: »
    I thought the Bach extract was from the Chorus (the first section), and I had seen Chaconne in the Chorus the night before, so I'm hoping it was actually the Chorus!
    I also said it was a Slip Jig, 9/8 Time signature.
    If I can remember other stuff I'll say...

I was bricking myself cos Barry might have been Q1
    When I saw Boh. Rhapsody I swear I heard "HALLELUJAH, HALLELUJAH, HALLELUUUUUJAH!!!!" !!!!!!!
    Composing section was awful though....minors... grr

i didn't appreciate the minors either.. :pac:
    Oh well i tried them :D The harmony Q5 was a nice question though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

For Q.5 because there was an upbeat at the start, didn't you have to just put 5 beats in the last bar? There was a quaver rest at the start in the bass, so in 6/8 that counts as 1, so you had to just put 5 beats in the last bar? I did a group of 3 notes and a crotchet to finish off the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TIMR007ROX

The third song on the Irish music today was, I am almost 100% sure, by
    Michael O Suilleabhain (www.mosmusic.ie/). If it wasn't that song was almost identical to his style anyway so check his stuff out :)

Did anyone else think the 2nd song sounded like Sting singing? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

TIMR007ROX wrote: »

Did anyone else think the 2nd song sounded like Sting singing? lol

Pretty sure it was ha, it was by the chieftains - 'mo ghile mear', I remember hearing sting did something with them

For Q.5 because there was an upbeat at the start, didn't you have to just put 5 beats in the last bar? There was a quaver rest at the start in the bass, so in 6/8 that counts as 1, so you had to just put 5 beats in the last bar? I did a group of 3 notes and a crotchet to finish off the bar.

That's what I did for that question too I think!

• Advertisement

M&S* wrote: »
    That's what I did for that question too I think!

What do ye mean? . .Was there an anacrusis or what?/:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Freewheelin_

Does anyone know the Irish music song from excerpt 2? The one that had a solo voice in irish, went to a few voices and it sounded almost African. It was sick.

What do ye mean? . .Was there an anacrusis or what?/:

Isnt an anacrusis an upbeat? If it is then yes it was an upbeat!

Does anyone know the Irish music song from excerpt 2? The one that had a solo voice in irish, went to a few voices and it sounded almost African. It was sick.
    That was Mo Ghile Mear, it's already been mentioned!

Was this in the given chords harmony?. . .if so DAAYYMN

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

Well, it could've been a lot worse. Generally nice paper though!

HATED that Q1 and Q5 were both in minor keys though. I did them anyway, but I would've preferred them in a major key. Was surprised at Bo Rhap as Q1, I thought it would've been too obvious or easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ivanh

Gahh I forgot to put in the accidentals in the bass line of my harmony!

Bastard!!

Fine paper otherwise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 pio94

messed up on the last bar on the harmony,didnt take the upbeat into account...........do you think ill loose a lot of marks??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

Yeah what did you do for that? All I did about it was in the very last bar I left our a quaver in the bass line. Is that ok or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

To clarify. There was no Tierce de Picardy in that extract. The only time that occurs it at the extreme end of the first and seventh movements. The chaconne, the G G G F# Fnat F Enat Eb Eb, which moves from the continuo to the bass and higher was the answer.

Advertisement