Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Music Before/After**

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Nazrata is correct a Tierce de Picardie is when a piece is minor and changes during the last cadence to major.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Got on rather disappointing than what I thought. Karma got me in the ass today, had wrote down an answer..saw somebody elses and changed mine, turns out their answer was wrong!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Anyone know the name of the piece played for the first part of question 6? I thought it was from lord of the rings :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Anyone know the name of the piece played for the first part of question 6? I thought it was from lord of the rings :p

I think it was Greensleeves, written by Henry VIII!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Yeah what did you do for that? All I did about it was in the very last bar I left our a quaver in the bass line. Is that ok or what?

I did 5 beats in the last bar, not entirely sure what exactly way I did it might have been three quavers and a crotchet. Not really sure if this is entirely right though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

M&S* wrote: »
    I did 5 beats in the last bar, not entirely sure what exactly way I did it might have been three quavers and a crotchet. Not really sure if this is entirely right though.

Yes this is right! I asked my Teacher after the exam and she said it was the first time they did it but it was right! Apparently I was the only one who noticed it, so if you did notice it you'll probably do very well in that question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Can't remember exactly what I did for the last bar of the chords, I just copied what they had anyway :P Loads of people I know didn't realise that the melody was minor either!

Yes this is right! I asked my Teacher after the exam and she said it was the first time they did it but it was right! Apparently I was the only one who noticed it, so if you did notice it you'll probably do very well in that question!

Phew! That solid 10 minutes of looking at the last bar and wondering what to do should have been worth it so :)

Did anyone else think the Music dictation within questions was incredibly easy? I had the bohemian rhapsody one down before it started 'cause I knew how the melody went! And the one in Q6!! :D :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iMMer5ion

Was Q1 on the Composition Paper major or minor?

• Advertisement

iMMer5ion wrote: »

It was minor, it had an F sharp accidental!

leaveiton wrote: »
    Can't remember exactly what I did for the last bar of the chords, I just copied what they had anyway :P Loads of people I know didn't realise that the melody was minor either!

OMG.. :eek: Will they not lose a load of marks?

It was minor! It had the F#.. B flat major- G minor!

Guys how hard is it to get full marks in a Melody? I had steps learnt how to do a perfect melody in G minor and it fit the metre of 6/8 aswell. I modulated to the relative major in the 2nd phrase, showed I knew how to use the harmonic scale in the 3rd phrase (by raising the 7th) and show I knew how to use the melodic in the 4th phrase (by lowering the 6th, 7th going down) and raising the 6th, 7th at the end of the composition before I ended on Doh. I did the phrasing, put in dynamics, some performance instructions and chose the Clarinet as my instrument!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iMMer5ion

M&S* wrote: »
    It was minor, it had an F sharp accidental!

oh thank fúck:D

It was minor! It had the F#.. B flat major- G minor!

Guys how hard is it to get full marks in a Melody? I had steps learnt how to do a perfect melody in G minor and it fit the metre of 6/8 aswell. I modulated to the relative major in the 2nd phrase, showed I knew how to use the harmonic scale in the 3rd phrase (by raising the 7th) and show I knew how to use the melodic in the 4th phrase (by lowering the 6th, 7th going down) and raising the 6th, 7th at the end of the composition before I ended on Doh. I did the phrasing, put in dynamics, some performance instructions and chose the Clarinet as my instrument!
    They never give full marks in music ever. You could get 39/40 but you wouldn't get 40. It is just showing how a melody can never be perfect. Did anyone else do q4?

ChemHickey wrote: »
    To clarify. There was no Tierce de Picardy in that extract. The only time that occurs it at the extreme end of the first and seventh movements. The chaconne, the G G G F# Fnat F Enat Eb Eb, which moves from the continuo to the bass and higher was the answer.

Awhhh damn. Kickin' myself. Had a Chaconne ticked and knew exactly what it was, then in the last minute I rubbed it out and put in a Tierce de Picardy! :mad: raging..
    ChemHickey wrote: »
    They never give full marks in music ever. You could get 39/40 but you wouldn't get 40. It is just showing how a melody can never be perfect. Did anyone else do q4?

Really? :O That's a bit shítty. I was sooooo happy to see the 6/8 minor. They're the only ones i've ever gotten high A1's in class for! :D

For anyone who did Q.5, did ye find that you didn't use many of the D flat chords? I used a lot Fm, B flat M and G diminished.. :confused: I think I only used the D flat chord twice!

Yep they will sadly! I nearly didn't notice it myself, just started writing the tonic solfa under the notes and thinking "la la la this is great, lovely major melody.... oh hi there accidental on the last note!"

Yep they will sadly! I nearly didn't notice it myself, just started writing the tonic solfa under the notes and thinking "la la la this is great, lovely major melody.... oh hi there accidental on the last note!"

Oh god, I feel sorry for them! Our Teacher had it stuck in our brains how to know if it was minor! Another handy way is if it doesn't ask you to modulate in the instructions, you know it's a minor! :) I absolutely loved that composing paper though! Possibly my best paper of the entire Leaving!

For anyone who did Q.5, did ye find that you didn't use many of the D flat chords? I used a lot Fm, B flat M and G diminished.. :confused: I think I only used the D flat chord twice!

Used it a bit, not sure how much though. I remember having to go back and change it to D flat halfway through because I'd just written it as D :P I only used the G diminished once though.

Used it a bit, not sure how much though. I remember having to go back and change it to D flat halfway through because I'd just written it as D :P I only used the G diminished once though.

I used the G dimished at least 2/3 times! :P My Teacher was saying that a number of the chords can be different though, so there can be a choice in the chord you select, so it probably doesn't make any difference.

I just wrote it as D NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Was bricking it over the thought of minor keys on the composing paper but Q3 and Q6 were both major. Luckiest thing! :D Found the listening ok to be honest. Thought last years was a lot harder. Hopefully I'll get a decent grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

They shouldve asked about nicki minajs stammer I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I or pitbulls needless urge to say Mr worldwide at the start of every song

They shouldve asked about nicki minajs stammer I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I or pitbulls needless urge to say Mr worldwide at the start of every song

If nikki minaj was on it, it would have made my leaving cert!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

She has an awful stammer as does jjjjjjjjessssie j

Advertisement