Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City of Culture 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

pilate 1 wrote: »
    u try to do something positive and everyone seems to knock/suggest it wont work/throw stones. ffs give it a bit of support.we irish are a bunch of knockers and im fed up wit that attidude:mad:

Do you lack reading comprehension? Look at my post again. Limerick is not suited to be a city of culture, they should be concentrating on what actually does draw the crowds into the city. Unfortunately for whatever reasons art events just don't. As I said - food, sport and certain music gigs. Be sensible about these things. It's not begrudgery, it's realism. You can have the city council throw money at this city of culture thing with marginal results or you can develop a scheme that will actually suit the city and work well for it. Don't just take the easy way out and say that I'm talking the city down, I'm actually trying to do the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Do you lack reading comprehension? Look at my post again. Limerick is not suited to be a city of culture, they should be concentrating on what actually does draw the crowds into the city. Unfortunately for whatever reasons art events just don't. As I said - food, sport and certain music gigs. Be sensible about these things. It's not begrudgery, it's realism. You can have the city council throw money at this city of culture thing with marginal results or you can develop a scheme that will actually suit the city and work well for it. Don't just take the easy way out and say that I'm talking the city down, I'm actually trying to do the opposite.

nothing wrong with my comprehension!unlike you,re ability to think outside the box.you say the city isnt suited....why?lots of top class venues..lots of bedrooms...lots of talent(not just certain music gigs)imo if the product is right success will follow.limerick will always be associated with sport/food why not culture?you are taking the easy way out im afraid because it dosent suit youre narrow vision of the city.yours a former inter county hurler and ex thomond park season ticket holder(recesion:()

Be logical. What was the last turn out for a match in Thomond Park versus a play in the Belltable or an exhibition in the gallery? I would like for Limerick to have a strong cultural scene too but the interest isn't there on a large enough scale. I never said that the talent wasn't available, but the audience is too small to make a difference. Right now Limerick needs large scale events to get going to pull the city centre out of the doldrums. Because it IS dying and it has been for a few years now. If the city gets back on it's feet again in a few years then maybe they can start to build a stronger cultural scene to compliment the other themes running. But right now they need to get into something into gear in a major way and some feeble title like "city of culture" that has no grounds in truth or realism isn't serving anyone any good.

When I say certain music gigs, I mean artists on a fairly popular level that attract people from different ages into the city. Thomond Park is underused on this I feel. A few years ago they had Pink, last year they had JLS and Olly Murs. I'm just citing these two examples but they pulled thousands into the city for those nights. Think of how much good that could have been done if the city council had applied some thinking and run a special event in the cc afterwards to get people to stick around after the concerts keep the place busy. But what happened was the city had nothing to offer them so the majority of people just hopped back into their cars and drove home. Even when something right is done these no cooperation or collective planning to maximise the benefit. It's so disappointing and illogical.

pilate 1 wrote: »
    nothing wrong with my comprehension!

By the way I'm sorry for being rude earlier, I was in a cross mood and I shouldn't have spoken to you like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

Taco Chips wrote: »
    By the way I'm sorry for being rude earlier, I was in a cross mood and I shouldn't have spoken to you like that.

no need to say sorry at all.youre making very valid points if im honest.bottom line here seems to be that its going ahead and im sure all posters will support it and lets see where it brings us.you never know:rolleyes:(posts when the year of culture is over should be interesting!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

it's official Limerick will be capital of culture for 2014, time to rake in the millions http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2012/0709/media-3339642.html#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

well, I suppose Limerick couldnt possibly do any worse than Cork did...
    knitting map anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

I can't help but see this as a hugely positive event for the city.

It's seem's a lot of the criticisms surrounds the fact that Limerick may not have a "reputation" for culture in comparison to places like Galway or Cork. Low attendance at various events is used as the barometer of this.

Even if this is your perception, revising & reversing a reputation has to start somewhere.
    Personally I reckon the low attendence at paid events has to do with the punters lack of cash and not enough people living in the city centre.
    (Rather than locals relative lack of culture compared to other destinations)
    but until then this is just more image over substance

I don't believe so. There's "culture" everywhere.
    With a little imagination I can envisage some really interesting stuff happening in the city based upon the current infrastructure in place.
    IMO it could have long-lasting effects in terms of engaging people, creating hubs of artistic talent, the "know-how" and inspiration to continue creating in the city, ......etc etc..
    Thomond Park is underused on this I feel. A few years ago they had Pink, last year they had JLS and Olly Murs. I'm just citing these two examples but they pulled thousands into the city for those nights.

Wouldn't be my thing, but the more the merrier.
    Is it not a bit narrow to just concentrate on big events?
    Is the goal here not the long-term sustainability of city centre, and if so, is whacking in 40,000 people for 1 night every-so-often really going to fix things?
    Is the bar to be set long-term at rugby, pop concerts burgers & pints to the detriment of all else? Really?

Anyways, surely every expression of humanity shouldn't be dominated by the need for footfall, bednights & economic breakeven?

Is it not a little limiting to think in such a linear manner?
    Why not have both big concerts & various cultural events?
    It's not as if it's the same person being asked to organise both!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

God I hope that's only a provisional logo. Looks a bit bland. Looking forward finding out the line up of events though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Just like to say, sports, food and music are all culture in their own right. Limerick has massive potential for a city of culture if you look at what we have the castle, the hunt museum, the belltable, city tours, cat dig, roaches St arts festival, the milk market, the new fashion quarter, and this year is also going to be the inaugural year of a new culture festival too, which ill be posting a thread on later when I'm not on Mobile.

So we have potential, and the get go in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Excellent post, Johnny Barvo III !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

People who want to advertise Limerick as a City of Culture are burying their heads in the sand. Yes the city has it's cultural aspects, but unfortunately these, for me anyway, are out-numbered by the negatives. That's the way it is. It's not pessimism, more realism.

Fix the city first. Reclaim it for the people. Then maybe we can think about a 'city of culture' event.

grenache wrote: »
    People who want to advertise Limerick as a City of Culture are burying their heads in the sand. Yes the city has it's cultural aspects, but unfortunately these, for me anyway, are out-numbered by the negatives. That's the way it is. It's not pessimism, more realism.

Fix the city first. Reclaim it for the people. Then maybe we can think about a 'city of culture' event.

What an absurd position! Why not have Limerick as a city of culture? What are the possible downsides? There's only benefits. It'll go a long way to improving the city too. I don't get why people are so negative about this. It's happening, and it's a great thing for Limerick.

vkid wrote: »
    well, I suppose Limerick couldnt possibly do any worse than Cork did...
    knitting map anyone?

I presume that's some sort of joke.

Cork city centre got a multi million euro facelift because of it's 2005 designation as European City of Culture.

You do realise this, right?

zulutango wrote: »
    What an absurd position! Why not have Limerick as a city of culture? What are the possible downsides? There's only benefits. It'll go a long way to improving the city too. I don't get why people are so negative about this. It's happening, and it's a great thing for Limerick.
    Other than rugby, ham, King John's castle and a half decent Hunt Museum, I'm really struggling to find much to attract the average joe to Limerick. And i don't need to mention the troublemakers around town who don't exactly entice people back to the city.

Why do you think people go to Dublin, Cork and Galway for their holliers but not to Limerick? Because there's nothing there worth seeing. It's a largely working class city, it's not a place the public at general associate with culture, other than a sporting one. It's unfortunate, but true.

Other than rugby, ham, King John's castle and a half decent Hunt Museum, I'm really struggling to find much to attract the average joe to Limerick. And i don't need to mention the troublemakers around town who don't exactly entice people back to the city.

Why do you think people go to Dublin, Cork and Galway for their holliers but not to Limerick? Because there's nothing there worth seeing. It's a largely working class city, it's not a place the public at general associate with culture, other than a sporting one. It's unfortunate, but true.

It's Ireland's oldest city and is steeped in heritage. That culture isn't it? We have probably the most vibrant art scene in the country. There's all kinds of reasons why Limerick isn't flooded with tourists, but lack of culture isn't one of them. Culture isn't simply a happy-clappy middle class thing by the way. Working class culture has just as much value. Frank McCourt's 'Angela's Ashes' was a literary gem born out of the Limerick working class culture of the 1930's, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Other than rugby, ham, King John's castle and a half decent Hunt Museum,

This is also a problem that the people running the city need to take into account. 99% of tourists here don't care about rugby, or soccer, or hurling, or "sporting limerick" nonsense. They want to come here to see sh*t and do stuff!!

seachto7 wrote: »
    This is also a problem that the people running the city need to take into account. 99% of tourists here don't care about rugby, or soccer, or hurling, or "sporting limerick" nonsense. They want to come here to see sh*t and do stuff!!

Well said. We talk up the rugby thing way, way too much. It only appeals to a very tiny percentage of the tourism market. The big days out are great, but we have to sell ourselves as something much more than a rugby city if we're to have a long-term, sustainable tourism industry in Limerick. And the thing is, we actually are a lot more than a rugby/sporting city. It's just that those pulling the strings don't seem to realise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

Fix the city first..........Then maybe we can think about a 'city of culture' event.

I find this type of thinking odd.
    Are events like the "City of Culture" designation not part of the "fix"?

• Advertisement

I find this type of thinking odd.
    Are events like the "City of Culture" designation not part of the "fix"?
    At the moment there is not enough in Limerick, IMO, to warrant it being designated a city of culture. Giving it that status is to me like building a house without a foundation. There is huge potential in the English town part of the city, around Nicholas St, some amazing buildings and streets there. But it's not been developed to any extent. This and a lot of other possible areas of cultural interest are being pi$$ed away by the City Council. Thus we must "fix" problems like this before we talk about such cultural events.

zulutango wrote: »
    It's Ireland's oldest city and is steeped in heritage. That culture isn't it? We have probably the most vibrant art scene in the country. There's all kinds of reasons why Limerick isn't flooded with tourists, but lack of culture isn't one of them. Culture isn't simply a happy-clappy middle class thing by the way. Working class culture has just as much value. Frank McCourt's 'Angela's Ashes' was a literary gem born out of the Limerick working class culture of the 1930's, for example.
    Waterford is Ireland's oldest city.

I'll give you the Angela's Ashes tour, that's a good un.

Waterford is Ireland's oldest city.

Since when? Waterford got its charter in 1372, while Limerick got its in 1197.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

What do you think is worth seeing in Galway? Genuine question because although it's undoubtedly a great place to go, what does one go to see there? It's more of a place to experience, ie pubs/atmosphere/vibe. It's far stronger on intangibles than tangibles, imo. Indeed, what building/site/sight in Cork city is a must-see?

But as ever with Limerick, circular arguments abound. Tourists won't come as there's nothing to do here/nothing to do here because tourists won't come.

I don't know what the average tourist wants to see in Ireland, do they want to see King John's Castle, St. Mary's Cathedral (which has an amazing history), the Hunt Museum etc.

Limerick city would be a lot better off if it turned the Market quarter into an actual quarter. Move the Civic Museum, the Library and the Art Gallery there, vastly improve the street scape, etc. Build a small square on the carpark beside the Printmakers (also, reopen the Printmakers) that was capable of hosting events ranging from childrens' petting zoos to open air film/theatre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I presume that's some sort of joke.

Cork city centre got a multi million euro facelift because of it's 2005 designation as European City of Culture.

You do realise this, right?

It doesnt matter what Cork got, Their year as European City of Culture was a non event, a failure. Limerick coudlnt do any worse.

Also they were Euiropean city of culture. Limerick is not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Limerick city would be a lot better off if it turned the Market quarter into an actual quarter. Move the Civic Museum, the Library and the Art Gallery there, vastly improve the street scape, etc. Build a small square on the carpark beside the Printmakers (also, reopen the Printmakers) that was capable of hosting events ranging from childrens' petting zoos to open air film/theatre.

The printmakers have reopened, they are down where O'Sullivans shoes was across from Debenhams.

Thought of a few more culture areas aswell, As mentioned, Angelas Ashes, Leemey house is now the Frank McCourt Musuem, with Angelas Ashes walks taking place. We have the Number 2 Perry, as mentioned with the Civic trust, We have the Raggle Taggle Consortium which runs constant events and exhibitions, we have a few EV&A Exhibitions, we have the parks, We have the Whitehouse poetry night, UCH, The Irish Academy of Music and Dance in UL, Friars Gate, Limerick Writers Centre, Lunch time theatre, Adare Manor, Limerick Pride, Stand up comedy nights.

We've a lot more then people thing.

And people that point out Adare Manor, and Friars Gate etc. aren't in the city, they are still close enough to be considered, and often used!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mairzydoats

What do you think is worth seeing in Galway? Genuine question because although it's undoubtedly a great place to go, what does one go to see there? It's more of a place to experience, ie pubs/atmosphere/vibe. It's far stronger on intangibles than tangibles, imo. Indeed, what building/site/sight in Cork city is a must-see?

But as ever with Limerick, circular arguments abound. Tourists won't come as there's nothing to do here/nothing to do here because tourists won't come.

I don't know what the average tourist wants to see in Ireland, do they want to see King John's Castle, St. Mary's Cathedral (which has an amazing history), the Hunt Museum etc.

Have to agree with you here. I never understand the obsession with Galway. It's a nice city with some good bars and it's a good place for a night out, but that's where it stops for me. There isn't a huge difference between Galway and Limerick as far as I'm concerned but Galway seems to have built up this reputation for itself. And they should be congratulated for that.

Limerick is no different from any small city in the World - it needs to find a way to draw in visitors both nationally and internationally. I would struggle to come up with an itinerary for a visitor that would keep them within a 20km radius of the city for a few days. You can't expect locals to be going up to King John's Castle every weekend. It's a 'been there, done that' kind of place. Limerick needs a unique selling point. Off the top of my head I can think of selling points for 3 other cities that Limerick is competing with for visitors. Kilkenny came up with the comedy festival where people travel from all over the country and beyond, Cork has the jazz festival and the midsummer festival. Galway has the Oyster festival and the races. Limerick race track is a cracking venue but we shafted ourselves with the timing - Stephen's Day. The best quality racing is in Leopardstown so you get the real racing enthusiasts going there. So the Limerick races don't get the crowd they could at another time of the year (imho). You can't tell me that the Kilkenny/Cork/Galways equivalent of the belltable is packed to capacity every night. Limerick needs to come up with something whether it be an annual event on a grand scale or something smaller on an ongoing basis with package deals being offered and advertised (at reasonable prices) throughout the country. I don't personally belive that Galway, Kilkenny or Cork people are any more cultured than Limerick folk. That's my humble opinion anyway.

Sorry for my post being all over the place. Diarrhea of the hands ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

@Mairzydoats. Galwegians like to think that they are more cultured and leftie than the rest of us. Maybe this is what they are selling? The arts festival etc in Galway is way better than anything Limerick has had in recent times, and you will get people who go to that would like rugby as well ;)

I think Galway is a nicer city visually to look at, which is part of the appeal. I have heard Galwegians give out about the place, saying the whole arty vibe is a bit of a front, but that was coming from just one person........

seachto7 wrote: »
    @Mairzydoats. Galwegians like to think that they are more cultured and leftie than the rest of us. Maybe this is what they are selling? The arts festival etc in Galway is way better than anything Limerick has had in recent times, and you will get people who go to that would like rugby as well ;)

I think Galway is a nicer city visually to look at, which is part of the appeal. I have heard Galwegians give out about the place, saying the whole arty vibe is a bit of a front, but that was coming from just one person........

Yeah, I know what you mean. They've marketed it very well. But whenever I go, I just see bums necking cider in Eyre Square 'park' and plenty of crusty types hanging around/busking in front of the overpriced craft jewellers that seem to be on every street. But each to their own! Still like the city mind you.

I agree with you about the arts festival. But they're building on years of marketing the city as mecca for arty types. Hence, you get loads of visitors interested in that kind of thing. Locals alone couldn't make it the success it is. And that's the crux of my point, we need something to attract people to Limerick. We have to find a unique selling point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

You are talking, yet again, like someone who has never witnessed crime anywhere else in the country, I too lived in Cork for a number of years, and would struggle to find fault with it, however, it is not a far superior place than Limerick, I fell victim to a number of different crimes during my time in Cork however I put that down to the area of Cork I was living in, these things happen in urban areas, ALL urban areas.

I don't know anybody who has gone to Dublin or Cork for their holidays, a weekend break maybe but people tend to stay away from cities for their holidays, I do know of people who go to Galway but it is more of a large tourist town IMO, like a bigger Killarney,

I have always thought that Limericks biggest challenge is overcoming the attitude of our own citizens

The one thing Cork and Galway have in common is that their own people do not project negative opinions about their own towns ( did you ever say anything remotely negative about Cork to a Cork person?, Do you ever read about Galway crime? ) this has an huge knock on effect, we can blame politicians all we like, we can blame press coverage ( with good cause ) but until Limerick people stop expressing negative opinions all the time we will be fighting this battle

We get a chance to become a cultural capital for a year and we get Limerick people actually objecting to it??? Madness

• Advertisement

The one thing Cork and Galway have in common is that their own people do not project negative opinions about their own towns ( did you ever say anything remotely negative about Cork to a Cork person?, Do you ever read about Galway crime? ) this has an huge knock on effect, we can blame politicians all we like, we can blame press coverage ( with good cause ) but until Limerick people stop expressing negative opinions all the time we will be fighting this battle

We get a chance to become a cultural capital for a year and we get Limerick people actually objecting to it??? Madness

Hear hear. Limerick people need to have more pride in their city. I live abroad and anyone I speak to who has been there thinks it's a lovely little city with great restaurants and bars. Ask a Limerick person and they'll tell you it's a sh*thole. It's embarrassing.

With Oxygen gone and 45,000 turning up to see Swedish House Mafia (?) and Snoop, can Limerick not try to fill the void? Think big!

Advertisement