Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs España

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭drumlover22

you know your team is rubbish when thats all you have to cling on to. small fry mentality

But we are a small fry, our country is the same size as Birmingham, we will not have the same size talent pool as most other European countries, it's an achievement to get to the competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Worst team in a european tournament by far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Trap has to go tbh just has to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Can't get ideas above our station like taking it to big nations, can we?

Are you for f*cking real? We have a population of 4millions people.

No national soccer league worth talking about. Our best team is paying out wages along the lines of €600/€700. Whilst the boot cleaners in Barcelona and Real Madrid are getting that.

You need to wake the f*ck up.

In football terms we are minnows and Spain are great whites or even a Blue whale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

PauloMN wrote: »
    Best fans ever. Only positive really. Still singing, fair fcuks to them.

Doubt half of them know their arse from their elbow when it comes to football. Let's be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Schorpio wrote: »
    Amazing fans though, we showed the rest of Europe what it means to support your team.
    What, by turning up for a pissup once a decade? Delusional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

fans just amazing...brought tears to my eyes, theres few countries that would cheer their team at 2 never min 4 nil..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

du Maurier wrote: »
    Yes, celebrating failure is a f*cked up concept. We need to stop it. Seriously.

the original post was talking about the fans being heroes, not the players ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

No national soccer league worth talking about. Our best team is paying out wages along the lines of €600/€700.

you know what, if those "great fans" got off their arses and went to LOI games consistently the league would be a LOT better

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

But we are a small fry, our country is the same size as Birmingham, we will not have the same size talent pool as most other European countries, it's an achievement to get to the competition
    no its small fry mentality. all the best "footballers" were on the bench or at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Eamon forgets we can borrow players born in Northern Ireland...like James McClean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

No national soccer league worth talking about. Our best team is paying out wages along the lines of €600/€700. Whilst the boot cleaners in Barcelona and Real Madrid are getting that.

In football terms we are minnows and Spain are great whites or even a Blue whale.

And in comparison to Croatia?

Fingers crossed Apres Match is just being recorded now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Croatia game was gutting. We were Never going to beat Spain 4-0 was allways on the card. We could have some retirements coming up I think. The only position I be worried about is if Given retired. I am gutted but proud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Croatia's population is 4million aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

dsmythy wrote: »
    OK success too good a word. To finish 3rd in a group we are expected to finish last is still exceeding expectations.

If you're not 1st/2nd, you're last!! :P It's not exceeding our expectations though. We expected to go and be competitive but we haven't been. Whether or not we get a result against Italy doesn't matter a toss because we're gone after 2 games. It's exceeding people's expectations and the bookie's odds but certainly not my expectations or most people's I'd imagine. We would have hoped to qualify, we expected to be competitive. 2 games and being completely honest we've been smashed in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

du Maurier wrote: »
    Yes, celebrating failure is a f*cked up concept. We need to stop it. Seriously.

:rolleyes:

It was a game of football we lost, not World War 3.

Some people need to get a grip, getting all pissy cos a crowd of supporters showed good spirit at losing to a great team instead of booing the team off the pitch for not going on and winning the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Doubt half of them know their arse from their elbow when it comes to football. Let's be honest.

you pay so many thousands to go to poland to watch this team you deserve credit so dont belittle them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

closeline wrote: »
    Worst team in a european tournament by far.

Do you have to keep saying it? What's your agenda here. I feel bad enough as it is without hearing you repeating this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Unlucky.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

CiaranC wrote: »

Have you heard any of the other fans, even the host nations, singing and cheering on the team when they are being played off the park? You are a small, bitter man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

CiaranC wrote: »

You're right. Real fans spend their time at home bitching on forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Looking on twitter, German and other and others including 5live just stopped commentary/analysis just to listen to the fans sing.

I was yelling STFU Ronnie and George, almost tearing up at the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

closeline wrote: »
    Dont see why it is so great to see the fans singing. I would rather be a good team and **** fans. The majority are just pissed.

What a load of glory supporting drivel.

Supporters are the very essence and life blood of football.

Every Irish fan in Gdansk did us proud tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

They sang the same verse over and over, but by god did they sing that verse well. Incredible support.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭theavenger

you know your team is rubbish when thats all you have to cling on to. small fry mentality

Amen, of course its disappointing but come on, look at the spainish set up developed from a extremely young age, irish set up shipped off to england

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

conor-mr2 wrote: »
    Croatia's population is 4million aswell.
    5.5 million. They also have more people playing football over there. Half of our suitably aged men play GAA not football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

They sang the same verse over and over, but by god did they sing that verse well. Incredible support.

It's all we know...all we know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

markie29 wrote: »
    you pay so many thousands to go to poland to watch this team you deserve credit so dont belittle them!

Yeah, fair fux, thanks for coming out tonight but my post was a direct response to "best fans ever".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

That was the chorus ;)

An absolute credit to us all. Almost brought a tear to my eye, tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

RGDATA! wrote: »
    the original post was talking about the fans being heroes, not the players ffs.

So was I. I was agreeing with the post. Not every reply is a shrouded sleight or attack. Cop on a small bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Have you heard any of the other fans, even the host nations, singing and cheering on the team when they are being played off the park? You are a small, bitter man.

I've been in Rovers crowds singing at 5-0 down and 4-1 down. It isn't that unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

titan18 wrote: »
    And in comparison to Croatia?

How they teach their youngsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

The 'shure we can't expect to compete' responses are embarrassing.

In 1988, 1990, 1994, 2002 we were competitive, and pretty much deserved those homecoming bus tours, even if it bemused Big Jack.

SEVEN goals conceded in two matches - that is reaching N Korea level from the last World Cup. Unlike previous tournaments, this team (ones who started both matches, bar Given) and their arrogant and phoning it in manager can go f*ck themselves.

If some people don't like that, fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

flyswatter wrote: »
    Roy Keane ripping into Ireland on ITV.
    I'm a big fan of Roy Keane and what he did in his career but he always seems to focus on the negatives. When United were winning all around them he criticised the prawn sandwich brigade. When Ireland go out of the Euros tonight he rips into the team etc. He should be there tonight talking about how great the Irish fans are. Say something positive for a fcuking change Roy!

Its remarkable that we qualified for the Euros with the squad we got. Its brought some pride back to the jersey and looking forward things look like they could improve. These players deserve great credit for playing out of their skins to get us there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭CSF

bizmark wrote: »
    Trap has to go tbh just has to
    Why? Lets not make the man a victim of his own success. Nobody else would have gotten us this far. Is there anyone better qualified to get us to Brazil?

At the same time though, if someone was to say that the country was going to undergo a specific change of philosophy, with work from grassroots up towards meeting that end, that'd be different. 2014 could be sacrificed, 2016 we'd probably qualify for anyway, all towards making a country that could compete in the future.

But does anyone see that happening under the FAI? Hell no. Would a Martinez be any better with Ireland than Trappatoni? Hell no.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Helix wrote: »
    you know what, if those "great fans" got off their arses and went to LOI games consistently the league would be a LOT better

You are right in a sense the fans are needed to get monies for the teams but unless the players or the league is developed it will never happen no matter how many fans we have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

My thoughts are with Jedward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

At least the majority of our squad got a taste of a major tournament, hopefully we can push on for WC qualification and learn from this experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

German commenter on Reddit

"
    What the Irish fans are doing there is the absolute pinnacle of fan support you can expect.
    The commentator here in Germany stopped speaking in the 88th minute. He didn't say a thing for 4 minutes now. You just hear these Irish guys sing. Constantly. Without interruption.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Stop knocking the fans. They have been amazing and after living thru the ****e politicins and banker and the elite have put us thru the last few years Im delighted to see the true Irish spirit rise again.

As one pissed up fan who travelled for the craic said ..
    better to have a head full of memories than a life full of dreams.

Brady summed it up just now, theres alot better teams , alot better players and millions of other fans watching us play in this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Moneymaker wrote: »
    What a load of glory supporting drivel.

Supporters are the very essence and life blood of football.

Every Irish fan in Gdansk did us proud tonight.

In what way did they make you proud? are you happy that opposition fans will think we are great or what?

Irish supporters are certainly not the lifeblood of the irish game

They are the very opposite by their nature.

One night of self indulgent singing for Europe won't change that. They will get plaudits in fairness but the genuine question is will they turn up the next day? and the next day?

Will they support their own league? Will they f*ck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Still singing Verse 1 and chorus...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    German commenter on Reddit

"
    What the Irish fans are doing there is the absolute pinnacle of fan support you can expect.
    The commentator here in Germany stopped speaking in the 88th minute. He didn't say a thing for 4 minutes now. You just hear these Irish guys sing. Constantly. Without interruption.
    "
    you can have your singing.spain'll have the result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Eden Hazard on Twitter "The fans singing gave me goosebumps oulalala"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

There was something noble about the Irish fans. When England was being hammered 4-1 by Germany their fans starting leaving the stadium early and booing. Most other countries would to the same.

What do our fans do? They start singing and clapping. Being proud of thier country despite everything. I used to thing this "best fans in the world stuff" was just a corny cliche. Tonight I believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

really makes me sad to see people in here talk about watching ITV and agreeing with roy keane and saying we need better team fuk the fans over there. How can you say such a thing when we are down 4-0 and have better support then teams winning there games, aka france italy etc.

Turn on RTE, be proud of your country in bad or good times and cop on. The lads over there singing are just glad to be there, and we should be glad to be even in it. Yes trap made some silly choices, we all knew he would we lost to the best team in the world(lol suprise suprise) and we arent good enough to get outa grp again captain fecking obvious, if you thought otherwise then you know feck all about football a.k.a a sunny day fan or glory hunter fan.

But that didnt stop me from getting them daft flags for me car, for me house and to sing on Ireland in the 2 games so far, I knew spain would destroy us and most people should have, its like barnsley losing to man utd 4-0 and there fans calling for heads, makes no sense. Just have the craic and enjoy the games, at least all you itv and roy keane fans can go support England now since we are outa it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

What kills me is that it wasn't our best team on the pitch starting and not our best players in the squad. Bad substitutions in both games too.

We need a complete shake up after the Euros. Too much reliance on older players - Not a recent issue though, we should have been blooding the future of Ireland at the start of the qualification process. There is great Irish young talent out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

So do we get one of those participation trophies thanks to the fans :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Keane: 'Lets just not go along for the singsong'.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement