Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs España

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Fabice Mumba loves us too:
    @fmuamba: Credit to the irish fans the way they support they team. It incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Eden Hazard on Twitter "The fans singing gave me goosebumps oulalala"

Hazard to Shamrock Rovers then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

People knocking supporters for singing their hearts out should be ashamed of themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

From Fabrice Muamba on Twitter:
    Credit to the irish fans the way they support they team. It incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I'm signing off this now because I cannot take the fan bashing anymore! I am so disappointed in you all. Can't take it any more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

lempsipmax wrote: »
    Keane: 'Lets just not go along for the singsong'.....
    hammer nail head. the "sure arnt we a grand bunch of lads " attitude is what holds us back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,475 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone know what age Wes Hoolihan is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Germany will slaughter us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

The 'shure we can't expect to compete' responses are embarrassing.

In 1988, 1990, 1994, 2002 we were competitive, and pretty much deserved those homecoming bus tours, even if it bemused Big Jack.

SEVEN goals conceded in two matches - that is reaching N Korea level from the last World Cup. Unlike previous tournaments, this team (ones who started both matches, bar Given) and their arrogant and phoning it in manager can go f*ck themselves.

If some people don't like that, fair enough.

All those other teams qualified convincingly (or at least with a good points total and major results vs their peers). This team qualified almost beside themselves and beating no one of note along the way.

In time to come this tournament won't even be mentioned in the same breath as those other four. It's simply a case of a team that aren't good enough to compete, lucking their way into the finals and then getting found out in the worst possible fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

cristoir wrote: »
    There was something noble about the Irish fans. When England was being hammered 4-1 by Germany their fans starting leaving the stadium early and booing. Most other countries would to the same.

What do our fans do? They start singing and clapping. Being proud of thier country despite everything. I used to thing this "best fans in the world stuff" was just a corny cliche. Tonight I believe it.

English fans follow their own English clubs in droves. They are not glory hunters.

Too much emphasis is placed on a sporadic bit of singing.

How many times have we been booed off at Landsdowne? Many times.

Great fans under Staunton weren't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Jayob10 wrote: »
    In what way did they make you proud? are you happy that opposition fans will think we are great or what?

Irish supporters are certainly not the lifeblood of the irish game

They are the very opposite by their nature.

One night of self indulgent singing for Europe won't change that. They will get plaudits in fairness but the genuine question is will they turn up the next day? and the next day?

Will they support their own league? Will they f*ck

Dont turn this into a LOI pissing contest, it has nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Passion from Keano there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Well Trap did get rid of Brady & brought in Platini. So I think he is open to change. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭CSF

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I'm signing off this now because I cannot take the fan bashing anymore! I am so disappointed in you all. Can't take it any more.
    britney_alone_88u3_Who_is_the_most_emotional_Girls_or_guys-s300x218-83182-580.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

would it not be better but to be able to compete in the tournament and then sing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

You are right in a sense the fans are needed to get monies for the teams but unless the players or the league is developed it will never happen no matter how many fans we have

development cant happen without money. money wont come without fans. fans wont come because they've no interest in it because it's not the premier league

best fans in the world my bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Ah no, wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Fields of Athenry is trending worldwide on Twitter now.
    michael owen ‏@themichaelowen

Imagine how loud the Irish fans would be if they had something to shout about! #properfans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Roy Keane on ITV: "Ireland never turned up."

Yes they did Roy. That's you you're thinking of - in 2002, remember?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It is entirely relevant though although perhaps only worthy of a mention in passing. Praising our fans for turning up in droves for the big occasion is self-defeating. There'll still be approximately the same attendance for our HOME qualifier against the Faroes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

irishgeo wrote: »
    would it not be better but to be able to compete in the tournament and then sing about it.

No ****. Is it also not good we can sing our hearts out when we lose? Talk about missing the point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I have no connection with Ireland but those last minutes were fantastic. Brilliant from both sets of fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

lempsipmax wrote: »
    Keane: 'Lets just not go along for the singsong'.....
    LOL, what a bitter dickhead.

No ****. Is it also not good we can sing our hearts out when we lose? Talk about missing the point

its a football competition not a singing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

kitakyushu wrote: »
    All those other teams qualified convincingly (or at least with a good points total and major wins vs their peers). This team qualified almost beside themselves and beating no one of note along the way.

In time to come this tournament won't even be mentioned in the same breath as those other four. It's simply a case of a team that aren't good enough to compete, lucking their way into the finals and then getting found out in the worst possible fashion.

Latvia at Euro 2004 had no star names, yet were unlucky not to get a point against the Czechs (eventual semi finalists), and a deserved one against previous winners Germany. They ran out of steam against Holland, but it was still an admirable tournament performance.

When you look at them, their is no excuse for our campaign so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

The other end of the fan spectrum is to riot......Keane should realise that the fans singing while losing is not an endorsment of losing...and booing the team would not have any positive effect.

Keane is just a harsh and unforgiving person, his analysis is either utterly banal (he actaully said we need a player like Darren Gibson who can 'put his foot on the ball in the middle of the park'). The rest of his analysis is just a reflection of his personality i.e. harsh and black & win. Makes me wonder if his management style was also a mixture of unforgiving harshness and cliche....it would explain a lot...

PauloMN wrote: »
    Fcuk Roy Keane.

Wouldn't be Roy's biggest fan but on thing that drives him mad and i have to say it drives me mad too, its our unwillingness as a nation to drive ourselves to the next level. To set an example to the rest of the world for once rather than follow the examples of others. We seem to accept mediocrity not just in football but in all sectors of life be it sport or politics, education, healthy living.. As a society we always moan about not getting enough but we never ask for better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

People knocking supporters for singing their hearts out should be ashamed of themselves

You can't help but lol @ people knocking them. The result is irrelevant, you have to support your team in the bad times and the good. It'd be easy to just turn on the team but when they put in the effort then tough shít to the nay sayers, just support them.

Just because you support your team in the bad times doesn't mean you can't review and analyse what's going wrong, but that's something that won't be fixed by Monday so we should just stay positive then get back to square 1 for WC qualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Basq wrote: »
    Yes they did Roy. That's you you're thinking of - in 2002, remember?

Don't mention the war! I did earlier and nearly got away with it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Don't be so stupid! We are not choosing between the two. We're stuck with quality of players we have but one thing we don't need to improve on is the passion of our support.

• Advertisement

LOL, what a bitter dickhead.

no, he's a winner

there's a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

People here fan bashing are a disgrace. They were a credit to the country and it was the one positive of the night

Cheek of some people giving out about fans who've paid thousands to actually support the team rather than needlessly bash people on the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Fields of Athenry > Vuvuzela.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

There are fundamental issues with Irish football which no-one is interested in hearing about. Our schoolboy, underage and national league structures are in bits. The british football pyramid is tasked with developing our national side. But some lads sing on a jaunt to Poland, thats the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

yes and when it is clear that we are going out, we still stay proud and sing. Or would you much rather we sulked out at 70mins and said fuk national teams time to get my man utd pjs on. Or of course you could have the gift of making ireland have a better national team? i think san marino or faroe islands might have some jobs for you.

or better yet you could shut up :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The supporters were just amazing, loads of praise on German television for the 'Fields of Athenry', so I heard.

CiaranC wrote: »
    There are fundamental issues with Irish football which no-one is interested in hearing about. Our schoolboy, underage and national league structures are in bits. The british football pyramid is tasked with developing our national side. But some lads sing on a jaunt to Poland, thats the main thing.

they should scrap the loi - see how quickly those "fans" realise they need their domestic league to have a national team

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

lets see how many of these honourable irish heroic fans are in the aviva for a game against andorra or the like. only there for the big day out and the piss up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Duh, we know that. What is wrong with taking pride in our fans singing loudly and proudly for our country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Helix wrote: »
    development cant happen without money. money wont come without fans. fans wont come because they've no interest in it because it's not the premier league

best fans in the world my bollox

I spent 20 years supporting my local LOI club, spent money on them when I didnt have it , and did they run the club right.. **** they did, went into administration and someone pocketed all the transfer fees ..

if the LOI clubs want good support then they should get serious and professional about it themselves, training, diet, coaching, dedication,professionalism, I dont wnat to see my local LOI players in the night club with some bird hanging off him during the season just cos he thinks hes a professional football player. .

The irish fans are the best fans in the world.

So we lost the game, big surprise , blame the managment , blame the players but lay off the fans ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

proud of the lads.

Keith Andrews can in particular hold his head high after this tournament.

the sight of people in here saying "they're off", and "had enough" both here and on FB was hard to read. fair play to every single one of those fans out there in Poland who supported the team to the end.

we have it too easy supporting these successful EPL teams. we're not a good enough team to win things at this level.

they should not be moaned at, they should be supported for the effort they put in IMO.

Come on you fúcking Boys in Green.

now Trap, start Gibson and McClean in the next game please. and forget about Paul Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

of course it does.

If you trully love the game and support it you will see where our limitations come from. Booing the team is something English Premier league fans do, thats another old chestnut.

Irish fans are the best in the world at turning up at the party i'll give them that.

Slagging off England fans, who go an watch York City and Mansfield and Stockport County more than likely week in week out.

Irish fans actually don't love the game, they love the feeling that comes with it, the feeling of the party.

When they get home, they probably won't attend a game for a year or two if at all.

The singing at the end is one big giant "look how great we are" gesture. Its got damn all to do with football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Latvia at Euro 2004 had no star names, yet were unlucky not to get a point against the Czechs (eventual semi finalists), and a deserved one against previous winners Germany. They ran out of steam against Holland, but it was still an admirable tournament performance.

When you look at them, their is no excuse for our campaign so far.

Latvia were a better team than this Ireland one and I'd wager Lativa probably did more to qualify for 04 than we did.

Actually, just checked. They finished ahead of Poland, recorded away wins in Poland and Sweden and then beat Turkey in a play-off. That's more impressive than anything this Irish team had to do en route to Pol/Ukr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

edit: that *** craig doyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

We just don't have the players to give the likes of Spain a match. They beat us easily in 2nd gear.

Bollix.What about Premiership players like Harte,Duffy,Clark,Wilson,Hoolahan,Meyler,McCarthy,Coleman

Also Brady and Stokes,and the ar$ehole Ireland if he said sorry and came back.

Going back to what i said, segregation of supporters is so prevalent in modern football and when you look at the behaviour of some of the hosts moronic fans on panorama the other night then it is great that our fans can travel and represent us well. I do think though as supporters we need to demand more of our national team going forward

Don't be so stupid! We are not choosing between the two. We're stuck with quality of players we have but one thing we don't need to improve on is the passion of our support.

We have better quality players than your making out. Trap just left them at home.

Ill agree the support was mighty but its shame people accept 2nd best on the pitch. The fans were great but everyone is missing the elephant in the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

CiaranC wrote: »

Every body knows that football at grass roots has to change and it is changing. It'll take a decade to see the end product of those changes at least IMO.

But we have to work with what we have now. They aren't good enough but we'll support them anyway. That's what the guys in Poland are doing. What's so wrong with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Murder on Gdansk floor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Was proud of the fans last sunday night as we stood in Poznan dejected, they were unreal again tonight. But still part of me feels, where the fcuk were all of you for half the qualifying campaign.

As for the game tonight, I prayed for a draw going in. We got a hammering, but like the Croatia game, giving away such soft goals makes it all the worse. The final goal for Fabregas was the icing on the cake for **** ups in defence.

That said, off goes Torres - on comes Fabregas.. oh great!

Advertisement