Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs España

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭CSF

if the LOI clubs want good support then they should get serious and professional about it themselves, training, diet, coaching, dedication,professionalism, I dont wnat to see my local LOI players in the night club with some bird hanging off him during the season just cos he thinks hes a professional football player. .
    Best not move to England or France so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Lars1916 wrote: »
    The supporters were just amazing, loads of praise on German television for the 'Fields of Athenry', so I heard.

Commentators stopped talking in the 88th minute and stayed silent until the end of the game. Respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

SlickRic wrote: »
    proud of the lads.

Keith Andrews can in particular hold his head high after this tournament.

the sight of people in here saying "they're off", and "had enough" both here and on FB was hard to read. fair play to every single one of those fans out there in Poland who supported the team to the end.

we have it too easy supporting these successful EPL teams. we're not a good enough team to win things at this level.

they should not be moaned at, they should be supported for the effort they put in IMO.

Come on you fúcking Boys in Green.

now Trap, start Gibson and McClean in the next game please. and forget about Paul Green.

Brilliant post. I usually abstain from posting here myself given the high level of lunacy displayed tonight but I enjoy reading some of the more measured contributions from yourself and others

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Jayob10 wrote: »
    of course it does.

If you trully love the game and support it you will see where our limitations come from. Booing the team is something English Premier league fans do, thats another old chestnut.

Irish fans are the best in the world at turning up at the party i'll give them that.

Slagging off England fans, who go an watch York City and Mansfield and Stockport County more than likely week in week out.

Irish fans actually don't love the game, they love the feeling that comes with it, the feeling of the party.

When they get home, they probably won't attend a game for a year or two if at all.

The singing at the end is one big giant "look how great we are" gesture. Its got damn all to do with football.
    abso****inglutely best post in the thread. sums it right up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

lets see how many of these honourable irish heroic fans are in the aviva for a game against andorra or the like. only there for the big day out and the piss up.

Unlike you eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

Bollix.What about Premiership players like Harte,Duffy,Clark,Wilson,Hoolahan,Meyler,McCarthy,Coleman

Also Brady and Stokes,and the arsehole Ireland if he said sorry and came back.

please please tell me your taking the piss and you dont actually think we would have done better with them in the squad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Well done Ireland. Played probably the best team in the world at the moment and as for the fans well they were magnificent as ever. Roll on the next campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I wonder does Trap "put on" the whole doesn't speak English so well/needing a translator to avoid harsh criticism?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Latvia were a better team than this Ireland one and I'd wager Lativa probably did more to qualify for 04 than we did.

Actually, just checked. They finished ahead of Poland, recorded away wins in Poland and Sweden and then beat Turkey in a play-off. That's more impressive than anything this Irish team had to do en route to Pol/Ukr.

No they were not. Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Shay Given are recognisable faces to most world fans, unlike any of theirs.

There is no excuse for being so horrible in two matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Helix wrote: »
    development cant happen without money. money wont come without fans. fans wont come because they've no interest in it because it's not the premier league

best fans in the world my bollox
    When the LoI get their act together the fans will go. They have never done that so you cannot blame people for wanting nothing to do with it.

I don't know why I'm bothering here anyways. Do you go to games? I went for years but was turned off by all the corruption in the FAI many years ago.

• Advertisement

bizmark wrote: »
    Unlike you eh?

i wont turn up to either. im a **** but im consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

CiaranC wrote: »
    There are fundamental issues with Irish football which no-one is interested in hearing about. Our schoolboy, underage and national league structures are in bits. The british football pyramid is tasked with developing our national side. But some lads sing on a jaunt to Poland, thats the main thing.

spot on.

We are the land of the casual fan. If theres a piss up/party/major tournament count me in.

Until then, i'll watch something else that gives me that winning/party feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Wouldn't be Roy's biggest fan but on thing that drives him mad and i have to say it drives me mad too, its our unwillingness as a nation to drive ourselves to the next level. To set an example to the rest of the world for once rather than follow the examples of others. We seem to accept mediocrity not just in football but in all sectors of life be it sport or politics, education, healthy living.. As a society we always moan about not getting enough but we never ask for better.

Mediocrity would have been finished 3rd or 4th in our Qualification Group. Teams like Scotland were mediocre and Scotland has a better squad than we do. Making the finals is not mediocrity for a team like Ireland. Given the squad we have and the group we were put in only the delusional would have expected a dramatically better tournament.

We didn't play as well as we could have but the only way we were ever going to make it out of that group was if at least 2 of the other teams seriously under performed which did not happen.

Accepting mediocrity might be bad, but living on cloud cuckoo land is worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

This fans thing is such bull****. Sing while the game is on. Why are we singing afterwards. Just get the **** out of the stadium and go home. Some people think that cause our pissed fans keep singing is a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Outside of Andrews, I don't see why anyone would want to celebrate what they just saw. It was a failure, plain and simple. Fair enough we're not good enough, but at least the manager should be picking our best players and the players should be trying and not making stupid mistakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Roy Keane and what he did in his career but he always seems to focus on the negatives. When United were winning all around them he criticised the prawn sandwich brigade. When Ireland go out of the Euros tonight he rips into the team etc.
    To be fair he only told the truth as it was about the performance tonight and his criticism if anything was constructive .

The first goal ,when you saw 3 irish players look at a loose ball (when they they should have hoofed it away) was a sign of things to come and it was for the whole game .

The Spanish strung something like 859 passes together in the game (the official record for a tournament ) tells the whole story

When the LoI get their act together the fans will go. They have never done that so you cannot blame people for wanting nothing to do with it.

I don't know why I'm bothering here anyways. Do you go to games? I went for years but was turned off by all the corruption in the FAI many years ago.
    In that case, why are there not high attendances for our national team's games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i was a season ticket holder for 17 of the last 24 years - unfortunately commuting from toronto to drogheda for games isn't really an option

until people go to the loi and it generates actual money, the fai won't bother with it. the only reason there's a league to begin with is because the fai need the national team to exist. no league = no national team

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Bollix.What about Premiership players like Harte
    Seriously?

closeline wrote: »
    This fans thing is such bull****. Sing while the game is on. Why are we singing afterwards. Just get the **** out of the stadium and go home. Some people think that cause our pissed fans keep singing is a success.
    Not much of a man for going to football matches, are you?

• Advertisement

delighted for torres btw. good to see him back in form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

CSF wrote: »

The fact that they play unattractive football and the country's best talents are often omitted for players who better 'fit the system' are some of the reasons along with the economic downturn among others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Stupid ticket prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Hopefully Andrews gets a club after this tournament, deserves it. Not the best player but has tried the hardest of all the Irish players.

jive wrote: »
    The fact that they play unattractive football and the country's best talents are often omitted for players who better 'fit the system' are some of the reasons along with the economic downturn among others.
    Daniel S wrote: »
    Stupid ticket prices.
    So they were big before Trappatoni/Croke Park? Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

No they were not. Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Shay Given are recognisable faces to most world fans, unlike any of theirs.

There is no excuse for being so horrible in two matches.

Yeah they were. Latvia 04 recorded a good handful of top results in both qual and finals. Ireland have recorded 0 this term apart from the 0-0 in Moscow (which wasn't even deserved).

Forget about what names either side had. Put those two sets of qual results side to side and Latvia 04's were clearly better.

Saying Ireland should be better because of we have a few star player ignores that those names you mention are in decline and haven't exactly been covering themselves in glory for either club or country for some years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Helix wrote: »
    development cant happen without money. money wont come without fans. fans wont come because they've no interest in it because it's not the premier league

best fans in the world my bollox

Well how about the FAI and promoting the game RTE are at least trying by having it on TV nearlly every week but you need promotion and support by the FAI that does not happen. Its not all the League of Ireland fault the same players would be there regardless

Daniel S wrote: »
    Stupid ticket prices.

still cheaper than flights to poland plus accommodation for a week plus grub plus match tickets plus gargle though

Well how about the FAI and promoting the game RTE are at least trying by having it on TV nearlly every week but you need promotion and support by the FAI that does not happen. Its not all the League of Ireland fault the same players would be there regardless

as i said, the fai won't bother with it until they can actually make money from it, and they won't make money from it until people go to it

• Advertisement

brady looks like he is gonna cry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

So they were big before Trappatoni/Croke Park? Nope.

Never said they were, you just asked for some reasons and I gave some viable reasons at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

First game. Goals conceded in 3rd minute, 43rd minute and 48th minute.

Tonight 4th minute and 49th minute. Coincidence???

First goal tonight. Dunne as slow as a wet week. Ward very poor and Given should have saved it.

Second goal. Dunne gave away a shocking ball. Given should have caught the shot.

Third goal. McGeady not tough enough.

Fourth goal. Paul Green.

Given did make a number of fine saves in fairness at stages but the majority of goals conceded have a lot to do with Dunne and Given. Clearly not fit. They didnt concede any goal like these in the qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

someone organise a tournament where theres no singing, no drinking, no getting pissed, no having a holiday, no saving for months getting loans and going off to enjoy yourself, no leprachaun outfits, no flags on the cars, no dressing up the kids in green for school , no teaching them coybig in the car on the way to school

Organise it and all the ****ers knocking the fans can go to it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

What can i say to contribute to this very sad thread.Some of the comments from you so called football supporters are disgracefull and you should all be ashamed of yerselves. I am as disappointed as anyone as i genuinley think we didnt play as well as we could and have shown at times in the past.
    No wonder the country is in the state it in with the attitudes of some people here!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

closeline wrote: »

well it's certainly not a failing!

Jesus christ. I can't believe the anti-singing people here. They went there to support. They did that. Of course they're having some craic too, nothing wrong with that. It doesn't take away from what they have added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

You can get pissed and sing at a LOI game lads. GO!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Has Ireland playing in the Euros and getting beaten really descended into supporting LoI and how little Irish people in Poland know and care about Irish soccer fight.

Unbelievable.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    They went there to support get locked

fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

someone organise a tournament where theres no singing, no drinking, no getting pissed, no having a holiday, no saving for months getting loans and going off to enjoy yourself, no leprachaun outfits, no flags on the cars, no dressing up the kids in green for school , no teaching them coybig in the car on the way to school
    Its called the league cup and we do go to it

Sergio wrote: »
    What can i say to contribute to this very sad thread.Some of the comments from you so called football supporters are disgracefull and you should all be ashamed of yerselves. I am as disappointed as anyone as i genuinley think we didnt play as well as we could and have shown at times in the past.
    No wonder the country is in the state it in with the attitudes of some people here!!!

Tonight certainly has shown the best and the worst attributes of Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Jayob10 wrote: »
    of course it does.

If you trully love the game and support it you will see where our limitations come from. Booing the team is something English Premier league fans do, thats another old chestnut.

Irish fans are the best in the world at turning up at the party i'll give them that.

Slagging off England fans, who go an watch York City and Mansfield and Stockport County more than likely week in week out.

Irish fans actually don't love the game, they love the feeling that comes with it, the feeling of the party.

When they get home, they probably won't attend a game for a year or two if at all.

The singing at the end is one big giant "look how great we are" gesture. Its got damn all to do with football.

And what's wrong with that .......... even if it was true?

Are you Kevin Myers in disguise.

Your last sentence is smacks of someone that is emotionally void. Lighten up. Please!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I really enjoyed the singing. It was an inspiration. I am going to take singing lessons myself as it is the best part of our game. It really is, we must enjoy it every chance we get :)

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I spent 20 years supporting my local LOI club, spent money on them when I didnt have it , and did they run the club right.. **** they did, went into administration and someone pocketed all the transfer fees ..

if the LOI clubs want good support then they should get serious and professional about it themselves, training, diet, coaching, dedication,professionalism, I dont wnat to see my local LOI players in the night club with some bird hanging off him during the season just cos he thinks hes a professional football player. .

The irish fans are the best fans in the world.

So we lost the game, big surprise , blame the managment , blame the players but lay off the fans ...

Could not agree with you more. Yes the fans have a role to play but the FAI, league and teams have as much reponsability

Mediocrity would have been finished 3rd or 4th in our Qualification Group. Teams like Scotland were mediocre and Scotland has a better squad than we do. Making the finals is not mediocrity for a team like Ireland. Given the squad we have and the group we were put in only the delusional would have expected a dramatically better tournament.

We didn't play as well as we could have but the only way we were ever going to make it out of that group was if at least 2 of the other teams seriously under performed which did not happen.

Accepting mediocrity might be bad, but living on cloud cuckoo land is worse.

Given the pick we brought to the Euro's yes your right but my opinion is that our style of play further harnessed our lack of ability.

Has Ireland playing in the Euros and getting beaten really descended into supporting LoI and how little Irish people in Poland know and care about Irish soccer fight.

Unbelievable.

wouldn't have happened if people on an internet forum didn't get all back patty and start calling irish fans, who don't support their domestic game, the best fans in the world because they went to poland for a session

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Hahaha! Best apres match!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    well it's certainly not a failing!

Jesus christ. I can't believe the anti-singing people here. They went there to support. They did that. Of course they're having some craic too, nothing wrong with that. It doesn't take away from what they have added.

I think some people here wouldn't have been happy unless the fans, en mass, threw flags on the pitch at 2-0 and made for the exits, booing and jeering as they left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

somebody In the Rte production team was at the Chris Cornell concert last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

The LOI brigade are such bitter idiots. They would turn off anyone wanting to go to a LOI game.

Irish fans singing and supporting the lads....people still find reason to complain. Its sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

probably already mentioned:

Tweet from RVP:

Robin van Persie ‏@Persie_Official
    "@fmuamba: Credit to the irish fans the way they support they team. It incredible." Amazing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement