Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs España

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

SlickRic wrote: »
    proud of the lads.

Keith Andrews can in particular hold his head high after this tournament.

the sight of people in here saying "they're off", and "had enough" both here and on FB was hard to read. fair play to every single one of those fans out there in Poland who supported the team to the end.

we have it too easy supporting these successful EPL teams. we're not a good enough team to win things at this level.

they should not be moaned at, they should be supported for the effort they put in IMO.

Come on you fúcking Boys in Green.

now Trap, start Gibson and McClean in the next game please. and forget about Paul Green.

A couple of tackles and long range shots blended in between long periods of invisiblity. Keith Andrews was poor. One of the better ones, but that's not saying much.

Sad to see Given particular have such a poor tournament after all his good service.

Only player receive pass marks for me was Doyle against Croatia (Corluka was turned inside out), possibly Duff because he could hold the ball longer than 3 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Helix wrote: »
    wouldn't have happened if people on an internet forum didn't get all back patty and start calling irish fans, who don't support their domestic game, the best fans in the world because they went to poland for a session

An what are you supporting sitting from behind your computer screen???

It sickens me, this element of self begrudgery an element of our society has for itself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Sergio wrote: »
    What can i say to contribute to this very sad thread.Some of the comments from you so called football supporters are disgracefull and you should all be ashamed of yerselves. I am as disappointed as anyone as i genuinley think we didnt play as well as we could and have shown at times in the past.
    No wonder the country is in the state it in with the attitudes of some people here!!!

Well said. Conceding SEVEN goals in two matches, and only scoring one, should not be tossed aside easily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

someone organise a tournament where theres no singing, no drinking, no getting pissed, no having a holiday, no saving for months getting loans and going off to enjoy yourself, no leprachaun outfits, no flags on the cars, no dressing up the kids in green for school , no teaching them coybig in the car on the way to school

Organise it and all the ****ers knocking the fans can go to it .
    id actually like that. all of the above annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

joe123 wrote: »
    The LOI brigade are such bitter idiots. They would turn off anyone wanting to go to a LOI game.

Irish fans singing and supporting the lads....people still find reason to complain. Its sad.

Nothing wrong with expecting people to support their country for more than just a week long piss up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    An what are you supporting sitting from behind your computer screen???

It sickens me, this element of self begrudgery an element of our society has for itself

im not supporting anything happening this summer. i abhor international football - have absolutely zero interest in it. however seeing the circle jerk about people who are such great supporters, yet who have a league on their own doorstep that they never attend is absolutely ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,467 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can't understand why lads are complaining about the fans singing when we were beaten. If they were rioting and causing trouble these same posters would be on here complaining about them. The Irish fans are a credit to their country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

im not supporting anything happening this summer. i abhor international football - have absolutely zero interest in it. however seeing the circle jerk about people who are such great supporters, yet who have a league on their own doorstep that they never attend is absolutely ridiculous

You have no interest in international football, yet you have an issue with people who dont have an interest in the ****ty brand your team play? Right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭jacool

Is Tony O'Donoghue in training for a Geoff Shreeves type role?
    He seemed a bit harsh in both post-match interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Spread wrote: »
    And what's wrong with that .......... even if it was true?

Are you Kevin Myers in disguise.

Your last sentence is smacks of someone that is emotionally void. Lighten up. Please!

best supporters in the world my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    You have no interest in international football, yet you have an issue with people who dont have an interest in the ****ty brand your team play? Right...

Similar brand Ireland plays these days :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

wouldn't have happened if people on an internet forum didn't get all back patty and start calling irish fans, who don't support their domestic game, the best fans in the world because they went to poland for a session

There is a difference between a fan and a supporter by the way. Anyone who goes to the LoI are football supporters.

Majority of those out there in Poland are fans. And are going out for a good time. Who are we to knock them.

Actually who the f*ck are you to question them. Its their money.

They'll be back to support the GAA next week. And the rugby 6 nations in January. Thats what Ireland fans do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with expecting people to support their country for more than just a week long piss up.

No and i agree on that point. It annoys me when im heading to an Ireland game and struggle to find people bothered to travel 2 hours to go to it. But Jesus I swear people just cant help but complain. The Irish support sounded class tonight. Wait till another time to start knocking them.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Similar brand Ireland plays these days :p

expected that to be honest :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

We were well beaten by a fantastic team but I don't think we could have done a whole lot to change the outcome. If we'd played Spain ten times we would have probably lost nine and maybe drawn the other. They are on a different planet to ourselves.

As much as it hurt to watch them you have to admire how years and years of encouraging their young players to play and pass can culminate in such a devastating dismantlement of a team brought up on a completely different culture of the game. I hope one day we can develop a system that can produce a style of play similar to that of Spain and Croatia because tonight was a bit like the football equivalent of bringing a hurley stick to a sword fight.

Still, credit to the players for getting us there and the fans in the stadium for their terrific support.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

The 'shure we can't expect to compete' responses are embarrassing.

In 1988, 1990, 1994, 2002 we were competitive, and pretty much deserved those homecoming bus tours, even if it bemused Big Jack.

SEVEN goals conceded in two matches - that is reaching N Korea level from the last World Cup. Unlike previous tournaments, this team (ones who started both matches, bar Given) and their arrogant and phoning it in manager can go f*ck themselves.

If some people don't like that, fair enough.

I agree with you.

Nobody is saying we should be winning the competition or dominating every game and of course our squad of players is limited in many many ways BUT BUT BUT we should be doing far better than what we are doing

1 goal and 7 conceded in 2 games

Why oh why do we continue to select Robbie Keane when all we do is lump it forward, he is hardly a target man and has no pace so we may as well be playing with 10.

Given should not play if he is not fit or out of form and it appears he is both, he has made crucial errors in not just the two games at this tournament but against Armenia and Estonia too.

Paul Green was brought on while Shane Long was left on the bench as we chased the game, this defies belief just as the decision to play Cox on the left-wing against Croatia defied belief while two wingers sat on the bench

Our full-backs and midfield are our key weaknesses as they are simply awful on the ball - Trap has failed to blood decent young players like Coleman, Wilson, Clark and McCarthy who are better on the ball than what we have.

Long and Walters should be our striking options with Doyle third in the queue, Trap chose our two worst strikers for our style of play

Usually Irish teams will give it a real go at these kind of tournaments and at the very least compete, this team was capable of doing that but the manager put the shackles on and chose the wrong players and we have been humiliated on the world stage

WE ARE NOT AS BAD AS THE TWO RESULTS HAVE SHOWN, we shouldn't just shrug our shoulders and say "ah well, glad to be there" - that kind of mentality is self-defeating and damaging

Our fans were fantastic and I feel sorry for them that the management has let them down and now they'll go on to a dead rubber of a third game (for us anyway).

I'll ask the question again

Would people prefer if we blooded a lot of young players and tried to play a more stylish attacking style of football and possibly risk not qualifying?

OR

Would they prefer if Trap stayed in his job and he continued to select hard-working cloggers as bore and grind our way to play-off spot, hope for a lucky draw and then having endured all that, get thoroughly embarrassed on the world stage?

Give me the first scenario any day of the week.

This tournament has been a total disaster on the pitch, after all the build-up it's over in a matter of days as we barely swing a punch - the biggest anti-climax ever, thanks Trap but no thanks - it's time to go another way. I'm not happy with "just being there" if "just being there" if like this.

Pudsy33 wrote: »

that doesn't even make sense

i have an issue with people getting plaudits for being such great fans when they probably can't name 5 teams in the top flight of their domestic league. i have a problem with people whinging that the players coming through for ireland aren't good enough when they never go to support their local game.

as ive said before, scrap the loi and watch all of a sudden as all these "great fans" realise that they're not allowed to have an international team any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Seriously?

Would he have been worse than Ward or St Ledger.Maybe not.

By Christmas,we can judge how he is doing in the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Says the supporter of English football :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

There is a difference between a fan and a supporter by the way. Anyone who goes to the LoI are football supporters.

Majority of those out there in Poland are fans. And are going out for a good time. Who are we to knock them.

Actually who the f*ck are you to question them. Its their money.

They'll be back to support the GAA next week. And the rugby 6 nations in January. Thats what Ireland fans do.

im not knocking them, im pointing out that calling them the best fans in the world is laughable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Can't understand why lads are complaining about the fans singing when we were beaten. If they were rioting and causing trouble these same posters would be on here complaining about them. The Irish fans are a credit to their country.

I think they're interpreting it as the "ah alright it's grand to get hammered by Spain". I don't think those fans are feeling that way at all, but might as well not let it ruin your whole life.

However back to the team, we should not be happy with 4-0 and this set-up defo needs to be looked at. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we have any answer to Spain and there was no magic formula this time, but 4-0 didn't have to be an inevitability either.

Says the supporter of English football :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

and 17 year season ticket holder for the loi

im too far away from ireland to be able to follow anything more than reports written the next day when it comes to the loi unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Helix please tell us again how bad Martin O Neill is when he was chasing the CL spots with villa to almost getting regulated this season. Yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

donfers wrote: »
    I'll ask the question again

Would people prefer if we blooded a lot of young players and tried to play a more stylish attacking style of football and possibly risk not qualifying?

OR

Would they prefer if Trap stayed in his job and he continued to select hard-working cloggers as bore and grind our way to play-off spot, hope for a lucky draw and then having endured all that, get thoroughly embarrassed on the world stage?

Give me the first scenario any day of the week.

Ask the same question to Welsh supporters and see what answer you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

a session? we had 20,000 fans+ at each game so far, they didnt go for the view of the pubs in Poland.

Look for that matter our domestic game is GAA and let's be real it's the same in GAA. Most Dublin fans wouldnt make the trips to a windy away fixture against Fermanagh but would pack Croker out for a final.

The sense of entitlement baffles me. If you go to every Dublin match, or ever Shels match, or whatever fair play......but there are plenty of genuine true fans who might not have the time or money to do so. It doesn't make them any less of a true fan if they use what time and money they do have for the big event.

The euros were the big event. I personally feel they were ****ing legendary tonight and we left a lasting impression on the world again that can only be positive for the image of our country with the likes of Muamba and RVP tweeting about the support.

I feel pretty disappointed now about tonight and the Croatia game so gonna stop posting till I cool off

nuxxx wrote: »
    Helix please tell us again how bad Martin O Neill is when he was chasing the CL spots with villa to almost getting regulated this season. Yawn

what does that have to do with irish football?

and 17 year season ticket holder for the loi

im too far away from ireland to be able to follow anything more than reports written the next day when it comes to the loi unfortunately
    So you're a barstooler then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    I'm going to be hammered for saying this, but in my defence, its nothing to do with our performances in the Euro's.

I think when the tournament is finished, Trap should step down. He did all he can with this team and I thank him for it, but I'd love to see a new manager who'll give our younger lads a chance.

The Euro's will have 24 teams in it after this, it'll basically be harder not to qualify then to qualify. We may as well try a more adventurous style of play and take a chance with the likes of McCarthy,McClean, Coleman, Long, Clark etc
    'Arry for Ireland since now he is unattached.

what does that have to do with irish football?

Nothing , just reminds me not to take your arguments seriously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

mairead farrell is only dying to get her tits out

So you're a barstooler then?

no, i go to MLS games over here. when i was in ireland i was an LOI and EPL season ticket holder. wrong person to try to level that at im afraid

that doesn't even make sense

i have an issue with people getting plaudits for being such great fans when they probably can't name 5 teams in the top flight of their domestic league. i have a problem with people whinging that the players coming through for ireland aren't good enough when they never go to support their local game.

as ive said before, scrap the loi and watch all of a sudden as all these "great fans" realise that they're not allowed to have an international team any more

They are great fans of the national team. Thats what people are saying. Its you people who are dragging the LOI argument up. I agree the league should be better supported, but it really isnt helping itself.

I think its wrong to be badmouthing the people who traveled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Ask the same question to Welsh supporters and see what answer you get.

As I happen to be Welsh, here's my answer:

'blooded a lot of young players and tried to play a more stylish attacking style of football and possibly risk not qualifying'

That's what Gary Speed was doing, and boy, we had something special then.

I fear under Coleman we'll not be going in the same way. We should be taking inspiration from Swansea.

Bale-Allen-Vaughan-Ramsey-Ledley

It's a good midfield, with Bellamy up top. I want them playing passing, ball retention football.

'Possibly risk not qualifying?' - That question's not applicable for us as it is for Ireland. Remember we've only been to 1 tournament ever. Considering going about stuff in the same way won't do anything for us, I'd like to build for the future, and properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

mairead farrell is only dying to get her tits out

Am I the only one who would actually like to see that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I'm not disappointed, to be honest we never invested in academies the league or the like and the players we have make it to number 18 in world rankings and all other other teams are ranked higher. Beating higher ranked teams in the Euros is really hard.

the trip to the euros is a nice break for irish football and hopefully we can get to brazil in 2014 (another miracle).

no, i go to MLS games over here. when i was in ireland i was an LOI and EPL season ticket holder. wrong person to try to level that at im afraid
    Have a season ticket but don't bother going to the games?

Sounds like a barstooler to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

I will be cheering on Katie Taylor in the boxing, but Ive never been to a boxing match.
    I will be cheering on that fella in the kayak in London 2012, and Ive havent been in one in 20 years.
    I will even be cheering on that fella who qualified in the clay pidgeon shoot at the olympics.. clay pidgeon shooting wtf is that anyways.
    As for that fella who will be wearing green in the gymnastics, yep Im going to be cheering for a man in tights ...

but if I listened to all the people knocking the fans here, I wouldnt be doing that, in fact I wouldnt be supporting or cheering on many of the irish people who have qualified for london 2012, because I dont play their event and dont attend it regularly in my locality.

**** off you traitors ...

Have a season ticket but don't bother going to the games?

Sounds like a barstooler to me.

what?

why would i have a season ticket if i didnt go to games? being a season ticket holder implies going to every home game to anyone with an ounce of sense i'd have thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

To the League of Ireland @supporters@ hope the air and weather is great in your high and mighty area. Very bitter ye are. It appears ye don't like anything unless it come from the LOI. Of course there was players the Trapp should have brought (but seriously Harte must have been a joke). McCarty I do agree with. People are out the supporting the team and yes a piss up but there supporting the team.

I am a supporter of the Irish team or maybe that's a FAN as I don't support a LOI team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I will be cheering on Katie Taylor in the boxing, but Ive never been to a boxing match.
    Do you claim to be the best boxing fan in the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

brady looks like he is gonna cry
    It was painful to watch and it's sad that we never saw him or Roy Keane play in and take on the worlds best in any finals .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

**** off you traitors ...

Thank Christ the end of this national mong fest is n sight

Who cares if the Irish supporters dont attend LOI games week in week out, who cares if they have had a few drinks too many, who cares even if the team dont deserve the praise they are getting from the fans in the stadium.
    I think its fantastic that we can send supporters across Europe and that they can mingle with other supporters and bring unbelievable colour and atmosphere to the stadium. They are probably not the most committed fans in the world ill admit but they didnt monkey chant or riot and have earned admiration all over Europe tonight so for that i say kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

If we played Coleman, McClean, Ireland, Houlihan and any other combination of players, we might have lost 4-1. That's it.

Anyone who thinks we could have done better with any other group of players or combination other than started tonight is deluded.

We were always going to get hammered by Spain regardless of what team we put out, even if it included Mclean, Long, Coleman, etc.

This Spanish side imo and many others is the greatest ever international football team, better even than Brazil in 1970.

Well done Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Who cares if the Irish supporters dont attend LOI games week in week out, who cares if they have had a few drinks too many, who cares even if the team dont deserve the praise they are getting from the fans in the field.
    I think its fantastic that we can send supporters across Europe and that they can mingle with other supporters and bring unbelievable colour and atmosphere to the stadium. They are probably not the most committed fans in the world ill admit but they didnt monkey chant or riot and have earned admiration all over Europe tonight so for that i say kudos.
    Nobody was criticising them en masse, just merely laughing at the description of them as the best supporters in the world.

To the League of Ireland @supporters@ hope the air and weather is great in your high and mighty area. Very bitter ye are.
    Didn't you know? The LOI fanbois are the best football supporters in the world! It doesn't matter if Shamrock Rovers play Bohs or UCD, they pack out the Tallaght stadium every week and play a brand of football that Barcelona are envious of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I am a supporter of the Irish team
    Of course there was players the Trapp should have brought ... McCarty I do agree with.

Hmmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

nuxxx wrote: »

Yeah he spend nearly 200m in doing (mainly on crap players), built up a massively over-inflated wage bill and fecked off when Lerner told him to stop pissing money away, leaving with a wad of money in his pocket and Villa skint for good.

Plus HE'S THE GUY WHO SOLD GARY CAHILL TO BOLTON AND REPLACED HIM WITH ZAT KNIGHT!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Didn't you know? The LOI fanbois are the best football supporters in the world! It doesn't matter if Shamrock Rovers play Bohs or UCD, they pack out the Tallaght stadium every week and play a brand of football that Barcelona are envious of!
    No, Rovers don't play a great style of football at all. But thats kind of the point isn't it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement