Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs España

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Realistically it was never going to be anything but.

This Spanish team in my view is the best ever International team.

The Irish team on the other hand is comprised of mostly bottom half of the EPL players.

We were never ever ever going to match the Spanish so any grounds for optimism was pointless.

It really wouldn't have mattered who the manager was and if he had Ireland, Mclean, Coleman and so on in the team.

A Jose Mourinho lead Real Madrid side for example were hockied 5-0 by a not dissimiliar side to the Spanish one tonight. And Coleman and McLean are nowhere near Real Madrid standard.

Eh, this Spanish team has been arguably the best in the world for the last five years or so. That doesn't mean they go around hockeying teams left right and centre. Tonight, we were embarrassed. With a better performance, players and tactics we may have still got beaten. But the final scoreline tonight is embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

kitakyushu wrote: »
    In a second.

Would not mind it either. Our most satisfying tournament performances came in 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I would have still expected them to be beaten, but we wouldn't have played like a complete pub team.

Spain and Barcelona make everyone look like a pub team. They hammered Real Madrid 5-0 a few years ago, a team far better than Ireland's.

Anyone who thinks we could have drawn with the Spanish, regardless of who we put out, needs to take a good long hard look at themselves and cop themselves on and stop embarrassing themselves.

Like I said regarding selections, it wouldn't have mattered who we put out, they'd still have been hammered us so can we all stop grasping at straws and salute a suberb Spanish performance.

Ireland were poor tonight. Ireland would have been poor whoever we put out, including Ireland, McLean and so on.

We are just a poor team who done very well to get to the Euros, end of story really. Trap worked miracles do get us there, and I think he should quit after the Euros, because the talent isn't just there for Ireland at the moment and he should hand over the reigns to someone like Harry Redknapp or whoever the anti Trap brigade want and see what he can make of a limited group of players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I would have still expected them to be beaten, but we wouldn't have played like a complete pub team.

Most teams that play Spain look less than ordinary. Even the Dutch were chasing shadows in the WC final. The difference was they had better players to sit back than us.
    The players did their best tonight but taking anything off Spain was going to be a massive, massive ask. I'm not shocked it didn't happen. Trotting out names like Hoolahan is good and well but what difference would he have made? F*ck all is the answer but it's good to have a moan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

stovelid wrote: »
    You support Ireland.

I support Ireland cos I'm Irish. I support Spurs cos I love watching good football and I'm from Meath where there is no good football. I suppose you want me to search for the nearest LOI team in my proximity and start spending money I can't afford to support a league that you have a passion for even though I don't have a passion for it?

Why should I support your passion? I have my own passions to support outside of domestic football. I have a right to be passionate about my national team without having to be passionate about the national league that is a joke.

It's akin to saying that you can't be passionate about films without seeing every film in the cinema, or you can't be passionate about music without going to gigs, god forbid you might listen to music at home, obviously you're not a real fan of music unless you travel to a gig. :rolleyes:

Seriously you should see the LOI of Ireland hump from an outside perspective, its pathetic. Being passionate about something ain't a competition.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Getting beat off the European and World champions is embarrassing now? Hardly. I really don't know what people were expecting. Our display in Moscow and Chelsea's miracle against Barcelona seems to have changed peoples expectations..

The margin of defeat is embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Most teams that play Spain look less than ordinary. Even the Dutch were chasing shadows in the WC final. The difference was they had better players to sit back than us.
    The players did their best tonight but taking anything off Spain was going to be a massive, massive ask. I'm not shocked it didn't happen. Trotting out names like Hoolahan is good and well but what difference would he have made? F*ck all is the answer but it's good to have a moan.

Taking Hoolahan would still have been the right decision, even though, as you correctly noted, it would have probably made no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Realistically it was never going to be anything but.

This Spanish team in my view is the best ever International team.

The Irish team on the other hand is comprised of mostly bottom half of the EPL players.

We were never ever ever going to match the Spanish so any grounds for optimism was pointless.

It really wouldn't have mattered who the manager was and if he had Ireland, Mclean, Coleman and so on in the team.

A Jose Mourinho lead Real Madrid side for example were hockied 5-0 by a not dissimiliar side to the Spanish one tonight. And Coleman and McLean are nowhere near Real Madrid standard.

To claim this Spanish team is the best ever international side is a pretty big claim, I'd be interested to see you give your reasoning for this, taking into account the theory that this Spanish team is arguably inferior to the Spanish team of two years ago even. That this Spanish team does not smash all opponents in its wake, how many times before tonight did they score more then once or win by more then one goal in a competitve game?

Not sure where Mourinho comes into this so Ill just leave that one off.

So really, tell me why this Spanish team is the best of all time, I will give you half an hour to google as many of the past great teams as you can to compare and come back with reason, sound fair?

Hint: try searching words like Brazil, West Germany, Holland etc

Helix wrote: »
    disband the LOI and see how relevant it becomes to the irish national team...

I thought you might come up with that statement, I meant here as in this thread. Do you mean to say if the LOI isn't relevant to this thread then the Irish national team is going to collapse? You should read things as they are posted instead of through your "everything is about LOI" glasses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

jiltloop wrote: »
    you can't be passionate about music without going to gigs, god forbid you might listen to music at home, obviously you're not a real fan of music unless you travel to a gig

live music is the life blood of the music scene to be fair. take that away and you're left with nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

G.K. wrote: »
    Taking Hoolahan would still have been the right decision, even though, as you correctly noted, it would have probably made no difference.
    Instead of creating only a single chance, I think Hoolahan might have created a few. We would still have lost, but to ignore a player who has showed a lot of quality at a high level this season is just criminal.

Eh, this Spanish team has been arguably the best in the world for the last five years or so. That doesn't mean they go around hockeying teams left right and centre. Tonight, we were embarrassed. With a better performance, players and tactics we may have still got beaten. But the final scoreline tonight is embarrassing

:rolleyes:

The margin of defeat is embarrassing.

4-0? Spain could have easily taken 8 off us. I'm not one bit embarrassed. Any one around Europe glancing at the final scoreline wouldn't be shocked either.
    We are a limited team playing the World champions, you reckon 4-0 is an embarrassment?

You expected us to win 1-0 didn't you and now your toys are out the pram, get it through your head this is football not Hollywood, get real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I support Ireland cos I'm Irish. I support Spurs cos I love watching good football and I'm from Meath where there is no good football. I suppose you want me to search for the nearest LOI team in my proximity and start spending money I can't afford to support a league that you have a passion for even though I don't have a passion for it?

Why should I support your passion? I have my own passions to support outside of domestic football. I have a right to be passionate about my national team without having to be passionate about the national league that is a joke.

It's akin to saying that you can't be passionate about films without seeing every film in the cinema, or you can't be passionate about music without going to gigs, god forbid you might listen to music at home, obviously you're not a real fan of music unless you travel to a gig. :rolleyes:

Seriously you should see the LOI of Ireland hump from an outside perspective, its pathetic. Being passionate about something ain't a competition.
    Dude, Drogheda Utd are just down the road. They have a brilliant team this year - seriously, they take it down and pass it.

(Maybe Trap should have brought the 3 Brennans?)

I thought you might come up with that statement, I meant here as in this thread. Do you mean to say if the LOI isn't relevant to this thread then the Irish national team is going to collapse? You should read things as they are posted instead of through your "everything is about LOI" glasses.

everything isn't about the LOI, far from it

it's just bizarre to see all this back slapping about irish national fans when their domestic league is desperate for their support, and gets very little

and no, i didnt mean to say that. what i said was clear; no loi = no national team

• Advertisement

No one is saying we would have beaten Spain with these players but we certainly would have a better chance then some of the players that were called up to the squad. If you had to pick a poker hand from a set of cards you would pick the best you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't give a tit if you don't support the domestic league. Just quit droning on about good football being the be and all and end all when yu lap up the muck we saw tonight .

@ Plasmaguy, I think I remember you, are you the lad that was ridiculing people and calling peoples fools at the thought that the title was still in the balance and that United would never blow such a lead?

Pretty sure it was you, so this is your thing? Make statements as fact, refuse to consider you may be fallable and then if you turn out to be so wrong its funny, even for a United fan! What did you do when City won the league?

Did you apologise to the people you made fun of?

Did you, shock horror, admit you got something wrong?

Or did you bitch out?

G.K. wrote: »

I agree, said it myself during the Croatia game, he should have been in the squad and would have been the right man to bring on.
    Today he would have been useless though, he would have struggled to get a sniff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Commentator knew to stop talking..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

best manager ireland have ever had anyway

It's true due to fact that we played different class football. Trap got us to where we wanted to be (when we were at our worst) and I'll always thank him for that but he's not the best man IMO to take us thro to the wc qualifiers.

Unfortunately it was a terrible tournament for us, Traps lack of awarness and is pure stubborn, we all got a bit ahead of our selfs and now we have the left overs.

Thank you Trap for getting us into the euros but we need something new, something more adventurous and someone who will draft in the youth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

no, its more that if you dont support your own domestic league you're not, and i quote, "the best fans in the world"

Young kids in this country playing football in the school playground dream of being RVP or Rooney or Aguero, playing at the Emirates or Old Trafford...they dont grow up wanting to be Christy Fagan or Darragh Healy.

We dont have the product in the LOI to change that. We dont have the stadia, the players, the money or infrastructure to change the perceptions of kids and make them dream of playing at LOI grounds or for their local LOI side.

And where does this argument stop? You say if you dont support your domestic league.........i, personally, attend a lot of games of my local towns team, low-end stuff. Does it follow that if you dont support you local towns saturday/sunday team you're not a true fan?

For that matter, i'd say 99% of EPL fans get over to support their EPL teams maybe once or twice a year tops, if that. That's no worse than sitting at home watching LOI highlights instead of going to the games.

Personally i'm a football fan. I don't have the money to be going to games but i'd watch Sligo Rovers v Pats just as quickly as Aston Villa v Sunderland or Villareal v Mallorca or Udinese v Napoli.

As for Ireland i love my team, love my country and yeah i had shivers watching the last 5 mins of todays game. I thought they were absolutely a credit to the country. Notice in all the media coverage it's not "the good old irish like a piss up" it's been "the irish fans really support their team to the hilt".

Fair play to them all hope they are having a great night in Gdansk.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

who the hell brought league of ireland into this thread?, its embarrassing

It's true due to fact that we played different class football. Trap got us to where we wanted to be (when we were at our worst) and I'll always thank him for that but he's not the best man IMO to take us thro to the wc qualifiers.

Unfortunately it was a terrible tournament for us, Traps lack of awarness and is pure stubborn, we all got a bit ahead of our selfs and now we have the left overs.

Thank you Trap for getting us into the euros but we need something new, something more adventurous and someone who will draft in the youth

yeah, the football that mccarthy had that irish team playing was fantastic given the personnel. its a shame that he'll always be viewed below charlton, who had a genuinely quality team of players but couldn't do more than play hoofball with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭twinytwo

No one is saying we would have beaten Spain with these players but we certainly would have a better chance then some of the players that were called up to the squad. If you had to pick a poker hand from a set of cards you would pick the best you can.

people seem to forget that the likes of spain and england and france etc where all the big clubs are spend a fortune on their academies and youth teams, which is why they have players like ronaldo and xavi etc

... in ireland if its not GAA is dosent matter.... the whole thing with the Gym that katie taylor had to train in is a prime example.. or the fact that any halfway decent athlete we have usually has to go train in another country.

4-0? Spain could have easily taken 8 off us. I'm not one bit embarrassed. Any one around Europe glancing at the final scoreline wouldn't be shocked either.
    We are a limited team playing the World champions, you reckon 4-0 is an embarrassment?

You expected us to win 1-0 didn't you and now your toys are out the pram, get it through your head this is football not Hollywood, get real.

I did not expect us to win 1-0, or win at all, but thanks for telling me to get real anyways, real nice.

You think that the fact that we played so badly we could have conceded 8 is not embarrassing? Plenty of "limited" teams have played against Spain and avoided such heavy defeat. Were they lucky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Getting beat off the European and World champions is embarrassing now? Hardly. I really don't know what people were expecting. Our display in Moscow and Chelsea's miracle against Barcelona seems to have changed peoples expectations..

I'm embarrassed by the way we were shown up.

I don't like this Irish team anyway.

Either they bore the socks off you or they are completely outplayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

As for Ireland i love my team, love my country and yeah i had shivers watching the last 5 mins of todays game. I thought they were absolutely a credit to the country. Notice in all the media coverage it's not "the good old irish like a piss up" it's been "the irish fans really support their team to the hilt".

well Roy Keane more or less scoffed at it on ITV, saying its the irish celebrating mediocrity again :cool: think he has a point

who the hell brought league of ireland into this thread?, its embarrassing

Its an Irish thing really. If there is a hole to pick in one or more of our own we are there on the button. A thankless job being irish and trying to do your best for the nation.

live music is the life blood of the music scene to be fair. take that away and you're left with nothing

Live music is the life blood of the music scene now because people download music illegally and don'y buy it anymore. In that respect its a different situation. I abhore people downloading music illegally. I have always and will always pay for my music cos it's my biggest passion.

I have always supported the artists I love by buying their CDs. They're too obscure to come to Ireland much unfortunately but I can still support them by buying their music.

If I was to continue with your analogy I should stop listening to aphex twin, squarepusher and various english, american and candian musicians and solely concentrate on Irish musicians whose music I don't like the quality of just because of their proximity to me geographically.

That is just one if the areas where that analogy falls short in comparison to football.

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    well Roy Keane more or less scoffed at it on ITV, saying its the irish celebrating mediocrity again :cool: think he has a point

Not entirely true, he was making the point that there needs to be a change of mentality, he has been banging that drum for years, that the players at the end talking about how great the fans are and all that rubs him the wrong way alright, because obviously the fans would like to see the team do well too, not just turn up for the sing song.

He did not once use the phrase, "Irish celebrating mediocrity"

Please stop grasping at straws. Wes Houlihan is an average player in an average team.

To argue he could have done a job against a team made up of Barcalona, Real Madrid, Man City and Torres, who was outstanding tonight is just grasping at straws.

Houlihan would have contributed zilch tonight, you know that as well as me. He's a nobody compared to the class of player Spain has, an absolute nobody, not fit to lace Xavi, Silva, or Inniesta's boots, he'd be poor in this environment, sorry to be blunt.

Why replace one poor player with another poor player? We are talking a world apart here from the EPL and Houlihan would be massively out of his depth, you know that as well as me.

Damian Duff, Robbie Keane at his peak, Given, Dunne, O'Shea, etc etc all look great in the EPL but tonight revealed the gulf in class between playing the likes of Spain and playing in the EPL.

No matter who we put out, we'd still be hammered, end of story.

I hope Trap resigns, sometimes I think he is too good for Ireland and wasting his time dealing with the kind of nonsense he has to put up with sometimes, barstool analyst, armchair manager, etc.

Young kids in this country playing football in the school playground dream of being RVP or Rooney or Aguero, playing at the Emirates or Old Trafford...they dont grow up wanting to be Christy Fagan or Darragh Healy.

that's because they're not being brought to watch loi games at a young enough age. if they're brought early, they'll become life long fans more often than not.
    We dont have the product in the LOI to change that. We dont have the stadia, the players, the money or infrastructure to change the perceptions of kids and make them dream of playing at LOI grounds or for their local LOI side.

we don't have the product because we don't have the support. and we'll never have the product without the support
    And where does this argument stop? You say if you dont support your domestic league.........i, personally, attend a lot of games of my local towns team, low-end stuff. Does it follow that if you dont support you local towns saturday/sunday team you're not a true fan?

with regards to the irish national team, the country will still have a team if people don't support their sunday town teams. the country won't have a national team if the loi stops existing - that's the difference.
    For that matter, i'd say 99% of EPL fans get over to support their EPL teams maybe once or twice a year tops, if that. That's no worse than sitting at home watching LOI highlights instead of going to the games.

it's nowhere near 99% for starters. i have no problem with people supporting the EPL either, so im not sure why this point is being brought up to me. christ i was a villa season ticket holder when i lived in ireland
    Personally i'm a football fan. I don't have the money to be going to games but i'd watch Sligo Rovers v Pats just as quickly as Aston Villa v Sunderland or Villareal v Mallorca or Udinese v Napoli.

good man, i agree with that. however i don't label irish fans the best in the world when they continually refuse to support the league they need to have a national team to begin with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

twinytwo wrote: »
    ... in ireland if its not GAA is dosent matter.... the whole thing with the Gym that katie taylor had to train in is a prime example.. or the fact that any halfway decent athlete we have usually has to go train in another country.

i also wish Ireland had decent facilities to facilitate other sports, but you can't blame the GAA for being the most popular sports in the country. people support what they want to support and that's their right, just like want to or don't want to support LOI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Result was to be expected, thankfully it wasn't a massacre score wise, their 2nd gear performance would beat most teams around our level just as easily. Italy next who will need to beat us by at least 2 if the other game is a draw, more of the same on Monday so...

I did not expect us to win 1-0, or win at all, but thanks for telling me to get real anyways, real nice.

You think that the fact that we played so badly we could have conceded 8 is not embarrassing? Plenty of "limited" teams have played against Spain and avoided such heavy defeat. Were they lucky?

Yes they were lucky. You seem to be catching on now.
    Spain needed the win, they were playing in a major tournament with the world watching and they turned on the style. Shocking eh?

Again, I'm not one bit embarrassed.
    Keep telling yourself that the result could have been different and I'll stick to being realistic.
    I'm embarrassed by the way we were shown up.

I don't like this Irish team anyway.

Either they bore the socks off you or they are completely outplayed.

Follow another team then? You might be less embarrassed.

Live music is the life blood of the music scene now because people download music illegally and don'y buy it anymore. In that respect its a different situation. I abhore people downloading music illegally. I have always and will always pay for my music cos it's my biggest passion.

I have always supported the artists I love by buying their CDs. They're too obscure to come to Ireland much unfortunately but I can still support them by buying their music.

If I was to continue with your analogy I should stop listening to aphex twin, squarepusher and various english, american and candian musicians and solely concentrate on Irish musicians whose music I don't like the quality of just because of their proximity to me geographically.

That is just one if the areas where that analogy falls short in comparison to football.

sadly they make much more money from your gig ticket than they do from you buying their music

i agree, it's a poor analogy, but it wasn't mine to begin with

regarding the geographic thing, i never said that irish people should support the league of ireland nor should they stop supporting non-irish teams. what i did say was that if they were so passionate about their national team, they could try supporting their national league for a start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

kryogen wrote: »

He did not once use the phrase, "Irish celebrating mediocrity"

well in a round about way he did

stovelid wrote: »
    I don't give a tit if you don't support the domestic league. Just quit droning on about good football being the be and all and end all when yu lap up the muck we saw tonight .

Droning on? I'm only opposing the LOI diehards who seem to forbid me to be passionate about the national team because I don't support LOI football. It's the LOI fans droning on as per usual.

And for the record I depise the football Ireland are playing at the moment, and it angers me to witness it, but I have no allegiance to LOI for several reasons, one being that it has never grabbed my interest and 2 being (as I said earlier) I'm from meath and there is no local LOI team here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭CSF

RoryMac wrote: »
    The dark side??

What are you on about?

Most football fans i know grew up supporting their club be it home or abroad, they support the national team and see guys living their dream, there is only one side!

Of course it would be great if more followed their local teams but such is life, some of the attitudes on here are not going to persuade people.
    It was a joke ffs.

Droning on? I'm only opposing the LOI diehards who seem to forbid me to be passionate about the national team because I don't support LOI football. It's the LOI fans droning on as per usual.

it's more the fact of how hypocritical it all seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Please stop grasping at straws. Wes Houlihan is an average player in an average team.

To argue he could have done a job against a team made up of Barcalona, Real Madrid, Man City and Torres, who was outstanding tonight is just grasping at straws.

Houlihan would have contributed zilch tonight, you know that as well as me. He's a nobody compared to the class of player Spain has, an absolute nobody, not fit to lace Xavi, Silva, or Inniesta's boots, he'd be poor in this environment, sorry to be blunt.

Why replace one poor player with another poor player? We are talking a world apart here from the EPL and Houlihan would be massively out of his depth, you know that as well as me.

Damian Duff, Robbie Keane at his peak, Given, Dunne, O'Shea, etc etc all look great in the EPL but tonight revealed the gulf in class between playing the likes of Spain and playing in the EPL.

No matter who we put out, we'd still be hammered, end of story.

I hope Trap resigns, sometimes I think he is too good for Ireland and wasting his time dealing with the kind of nonsense he has to put up with sometimes, barstool analyst, armchair manager, etc.

You've really missed the point here.

Also, do you really think Paul Green/Glen Whelan and Wes Hoolahan/Ciaran Clark are on the same level?

fryup wrote: »
    well in a round about way he did

Seriously he didn't, he is saying the fans deserve more from the players then a sing song and players at the end of a game, where they failed to perform, kissing their arses by saying how they are the best fans in the world.

It was not a criticism of the fans.

yeah, the football that mccarthy had that irish team playing was fantastic given the personnel. its a shame that he'll always be viewed below charlton, who had a genuinely quality team of players but couldn't do more than play hoofball with them

Very underrated manager McCarthy. Built a team from scratch and was so achingly close to getting us to alot tournaments. we always had chances to score goals under him with the style he played.
    I would agree that Spain have brought football to another level but i still think that doesnt vindicate why our manager on 2m a year and who still needs a translator despite being in the job 4 years, brings rubbish over talent to a major tournament and especially the Euros where we would have to put our best foot forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Yes they were lucky. You seem to be catching on now.
    Spain needed the win, they were playing in a major tournament with the world watching and they turned on the style. Shocking eh?

Again, I'm not one bit embarrassed.
    Keep telling yourself that the result could have been different and I'll stick to being realistic.

Follow another team then? You might be less embarrassed.

Why don't you **** off.

I'm embarrassed and I'm Irish.

Deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

We can be there again tho, Mic Mac (unattached) played for the jersey and manged the jersey, and i believe we/he can do it again, why not..?

I know people say we don't have the footballers, it's showed the past couple of months, but we're rigid, good defensively and on our day we can be unbeatable,

We have this system with Trap, that's we who we are at the moment unfortunately

Some nonsense

Are you gonna try to answer either of the direct questions I have put to you in the thread? Or are you gonna bitch out of that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

CSF wrote: »
    It was a joke ffs.

Apologies, drowning my sorrows here so sarcasm radar is a little off!

Yes they were lucky.

If you think that all the other teams that played against Spain were lucky, you really should take a step back and look at your logic.

sadly they make much more money from your gig ticket than they do from you buying their music

i agree, it's a poor analogy, but it wasn't mine to begin with

regarding the geographic thing, i never said that irish people should support the league of ireland nor should they stop supporting non-irish teams. what i did say was that if they were so passionate about their national team, they could try supporting their national league for a start

Well then they should come to Ireland more often! I'll support them gladly!

In regards to the LOI support I think the FAI need to come up with a strategy and system that encourages people's interest. All I'm saying is that I do love football but I've never had an interest in LOI and obviously I'm not alone. FAI need to find out why that is and find out how to deal with it. You can't expect people to immediately become passionate about something just because someone wants their support. It needs to be a cultural shift.

• Advertisement
Advertisement