Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs España

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Professional players getting paid 20-40k a week and they struggled to string 2 passes together.
    10 and 15 yard passes misplaced .
    No composure on the ball ,no confidence .
    I dont understand why they cant pass the ball for at least some spells of the match ,Spain werent pressing them that much.

Spain and Barcelona are masters in pressing and getting it back. Teams are usually tired from chasing them that when they do get the ball back they find it difficult to pass it with the teams shape all over the place. I think you're underestimating how good Spain are.

Holland suffered the same against them in the World Cup Final and they are a much better team than us and most are on a lot more than 20-40k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'll post it again...I've listened to it like 10 times in a row now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ColeTrain wrote: »
    You had a few before you watched it then. He kept the ball better than most, defended well and put in a few crosses. To single him out is strange considering the team were pegged back into their own half for the majority of the game and he is an attacking midfielder. Were you expecting him to run the pitch on his own and score?

no, just pass the ball to a teammate without making a hemes of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

The tears on this thread are hilarious. To paraphrase and answer those whose fury was ignited;

League of Ireland is not utter rubbish
    Yes it is. Good, real, actual leagues, send teams into the Quarter finals (and beyond) in the Champions League.

Why travel half way across the world when you can watch rubbish at home?
    I don't travel for either. I have a television. If I want to feel immersed, I'll turn on the 3D Mode. I'm not a fan of queues and getting wet to see disappointing people on a pitch.

We have produced lots of players that aren't awful in the last 20 years
    I think people have a really different standard to me in what's good. The last good players were produced were Duff (pre-injury), Given, and Roy Keane. Robbie also arguably had his day, but never hit his potential at all - likely because he had a new team almost every season, and spent a spell at spurs on the bench. I don't consider someone in the fizzy pop league or a sub for an underdog Premiership side to be a good player.

Our team could totally have beaten Spain, it was our fault
    Yes, if we played at the absolute top of our game, and the Spanish main team all died in a bus crash. Possibly. But their subs and reserves are actually pretty good.

Anyway, more importantly; the competition is over for us now. Find something else to do, and start looking forward to the WQ Qualifiers. We might get another few days drinking out of them then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

And I could go on and on.

But I think I've made my point...
    You've made the point that you think the team is largely composed of poor players, but my point said nothing about the standard of player. My point was that most of these guys are used to facing quality opposition week in, week out – there is no excuse for the level of ineptitude we witnessed tonight or against Croatia.
    I wasn't expecting to have a go at them. If Ireland opened up tonight we would have gotten ripped apart a lot more.
    Who said anything about “opened up”? The odd tackle would have been nice.
    Everytime we went forward they got it back...
    Yes, I noticed that – the hoof it long to Keane/Cox tactic somehow (shock, horror) proved fruitless.
    Our best chance tonight was to sit back...
    ...and defend. Sit back and defend.
    We were poor with giving the ball away and there were plenty of mistakes there but that's our level.
    No, sorry. No way. With the exception of Croatia’s third, every goal Ireland have conceded at this tournament has been very soft.
    We have average players, name me one Irish player that would have made the Spanish 23.
    Several Irish players are good enough for the Croatian side, but they still played us off the park.

For a country of our size, Ireland have a decent squad. Can people please stop pretending otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Tellox wrote: »
    League of Ireland is not utter rubbish
    Yes it is. Good, real, actual leagues, send teams into the Quarter finals (and beyond) in the Champions League.

so there's only, what, 6 good, real actual leagues in the world then?

He was OK in the 2nd half, but he didn't feature at all during that Spanish onslaught in the 1st, when his pace and crossing was needed most. He should not be a defensive player, but this is a regular problem under Trap.

Mostly a passenger against Croatia too, despite the free-kick to St Ledger.

He is decent, but I think you can't argue in favour of him much.

That's a fair assessment. I can't say he had a great game but he was certainly no worse than the majority yet his name is singled out on these threads, he has had some poor enough games for Ireland especially when he was younger but the abuse he gets is unwarranted imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I expected it. I'm not sure what you were expecting?

In footbal David usually doesn't slay Goliath.

Euro 88 - Ire 1 0 Eng,Ire 1 1 Soviet Union
    WC 90 - QF - Ire 1 1 Eng,Ire 1 1 Hol
    WC 94 - 2nd RD - Ire 1 0 Ita
    WC 2002 - 2nd RD - Ire 1 1 Ger,Ire 1 1 Spa(in normal play)

That is 7 top performances amongst others in our 4 previous tournaments.
    This tournament has been a complete disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

That's a fair assessment. I can't say he had a great game but he was certainly no worse than the majority yet his name is singled out on these threads, he has had some poor enough games for Ireland especially when he was younger but the abuse he gets is unwarranted imo.

Trap negates his best qualities - the same thing in most of the qualifiers.

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    so there's only, what, 6 good, real actual leagues in the world then?

I'd call that a bit of a high count tbh, but sure, if that number makes you happy, run with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

djpbarry wrote: »
    Well, no, they don't actually. A 4-0 win is a pretty rare thing for the Spanish.

Hmm, how often have they played against a midfield to the standard of Andrews, Whelan and Cox in tournament football?

Honduras in 2010 maybe, when they won 2-0, but missed a hatful of clear cut chances.

We were always going to get a spanking from the Spanish as long as they were in any way clinical in front of goal.

Hilarious that the bookies were generally giving a price of around 2/7 on Spain before kick off (got them at 4/11 myself a few days ago). That price nowhere near reflected their chances, they were more like a 1/12 shot.

Realistically we never stood a chance in this game, the gap in ability between the two sides is absolutely extraordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

eagle eye wrote: »
    You can, I just did.

Thanks for that! I just added him there as well.

:rolleyes:
    Yes leagues with huge TV money
    Our team could totally have beaten Spain, it was our fault

Didnt see one person make this statement on this thread. A Gross exaggeration on your part. When you have to make up false statements to argue a case its a very sad affair. I felt the team could have been set up better tonight and better personnel involved and i stand by my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

The better team won imo.

That happens a lot in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,593 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'd call that a bit of a high count tbh, but sure, if that number makes you happy, run with it!
    So Mr Tellox, do you make claim to supporting any particular team, or just whoever is dominating the Champions League Quarter Finals in any given year?

• Advertisement

Some Liverpool fans on Twitter complaining the Irish stole their song...I mean for ****s sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I think the most telling point is we don't have a single player from 1-11 playing for a club who finished in the top 8 in 2012. Even more telling is we have 2 players at clubs who finished 9th/10th, and the remaining 9 are either in the bottom 6 clubs or in the Championship.
    Most of Croatia’s squad do not play for “top” clubs. Doesn’t seem to be holding them back though, does it?
    Our team could totally have beaten Spain...
    Undermined your post there to a large extent – absolutely nobody has suggested that Ireland every had any real chance of beating Spain. We’re just a little peeved that they were so utterly, utterly incompetent in defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

IvySlayer wrote: »

Commentator knew to stop talking..

was going post this but decided to check if was on here first...pretty unreal, thought there was no commentary in the video but they start commentating again for a brief period then stop again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

djpbarry wrote:
    Well, no, they don't actually. A 4-0 win is a pretty rare thing for the Spanish.

They've scored 4+ goals 12 times since 2009 :/

Any Germans care to translate what the commentator is saying?

• Advertisement

Some Liverpool fans on Twitter complaining the Irish stole their song...I mean for ****s sake.

How ironic given Liverpool fans are known albeit perhaps harshly for their own 'sticky fingers' :D

Id like to upload this video before i hit the sack. It proves that we can produce some of the best this game has to offer when we put our mind to it not that we need reminding of the talent this genius possessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

You've made the point that you think the team is largely composed of poor players, but my point said nothing about the standard of player. My point was that most of these guys are used to facing quality opposition week in, week out – there is no excuse for the level of ineptitude we witnessed tonight or against Croatia.

Ohh but you did.......
    Absolute and utter bollocks. That team is composed almost entirely of Premiership regulars and you’re telling me that was an acceptable level of performance? If you witnessed those goals on Match of the Day, you wouldn’t think “Blimey, that’s some poor defending, that is”.
    No, he’s brought a decent group of players (let’s not pretend we don’t have good players) past a poor Slovakia side, Armenia (both of whom should have beaten us in Dublin) and Estonia. The real tests have shown him up – he’s past it.
    I honestly don’t care if we actually play decent football. I mean that. Showing up to a major tournament and producing what we produced tonight is embarrassing.
    Bring back Brian Kerr. Or Mick – he’s available again. Or the two of them – Kerr as McCarthy’s assistant.
    Unbeaten in fourteen games. Eleven clean sheets. Defensively solid. Difficult to beat.

Remember all that?

fryup wrote: »
    no, just pass the ball to a teammate without making a hemes of it

He kept the ball well. You mightn't have noticed but all of our players gave it away.

Our players don't play against teams like that. Sure some might come up against a team like Man Utd but even they struggled to live with Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets against Barca.
    The likes of St.Ledger has never seen players like that before.
    Who said anything about “opened up”? The odd tackle would have been nice.
    Yes, I noticed that – the hoof it long to Keane/Cox tactic somehow (shock, horror) proved fruitless.
    ...and defend. Sit back and defend.

We did as much as we could. We're simply not good enough. You can argue that with a different team selection we might have done better but Whelans and Andrews against Xavi and Iniesta? It's a complete mismatch.

We could have made a game out of it by grabbing a goal from a set piece to put pressure on them but it was always asking a lot. The game played out like most anticipated. Spain took their chances, we didn't nick a goal.

Euro 88 - Ire 1 0 Eng,Ire 1 1 Soviet Union
    WC 90 - QF - Ire 1 1 Eng,Ire 1 1 Hol
    WC 94 - 2nd RD - Ire 1 0 Ita
    WC 2002 - 2nd RD - Ire 1 1 Ger,Ire 1 1 Spa(in normal play)

That is 7 top performances amongst others in our 4 previous tournaments.
    This tournament has been a complete disaster.

Charlton had a better team.
    We punched above our weight in 2002 and played inferior teams like Cameroon and Saudi Arabia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Just back in my hotel after being at the match in Gdansk and read some of the posts belittling our singing in the closing minutes of the game. The attitude of some posters towards our fans is so disappointing. Out here for the last week the Poles have been telling us how glad they are to have us and how we ve caused no trouble, just had the craic. What were we meant to do at 4-0 down? Sit there with our arms folded or berate the team (who were doing their best against an amazing team) like some of the know alls in here? No, We gave the lads our support which they deserved and theyll get it in Poznan on monday aswell COYBIG

By the way it was a privelige to watch Spain in the flesh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

n32 wrote: »
    Just back in my hotel after being at the match in Gdansk and read some of the posts belittling our singing in the closing minutes of the game. The attitude of some posters towards our fans is so disappointing. Out here for the last week the Poles have been telling us how glad they are to have us and how we ve caused no trouble, just had the craic. What were we meant to do at 4-0 down? Sit there with our arms folded or berate the team (who were doing their best against an amazing team) like some of the know alls in here? No, We gave the lads our support which they deserved and theyll get it in Poznan on monday aswell COYBIG

good man yourself have a deadly week.

Just saw this posted on youtube from a Polish guy in the stadium, i think it says it all:

"Irland thank you for the giving us the honour of hosting you in Gdańsk. I will never forget your passion and unvincible spirit. You're the best."
    nixonGD 2 hours ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

untitled-69b8g0.gif

I like how the ref doesn't even seem to give a fúck.

i thought it sounded loud and impressive on tv but my god what an atmosphere in this clip woulda love to have been there.

Roy Keane is wrong on this one. It's not celebrating mediocrity. Or having a sing-song. It's showing humility, good grace and goodwill respecting both our teams efforts and the oppositions class. Images if Spanish and Irish fans hugging and singing thats what its all about, not plastic bullets and water cannons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Id like to upload this video before i hit the sack. It proves that we can produce some of the best this game has to offer when we put our mind to it not that we need reminding of the talent this genius possessed.

Mc Grath was a class act ,one of the best defenders I have ever seen.

Compare the midfield shown in the Italy game @USA 94 to tonights.:(

Keane-Townsend-Sheridan-Houghton-Staunton

CSF wrote: »
    So Mr Tellox, do you make claim to supporting any particular team, or just whoever is dominating the Champions League Quarter Finals in any given year?

No team. I'd watch a good match when one's on, and I'd support whichever team I might throw a few bob on. As far as attaching myself to a team, I can really only do that with the Irish Team - I appreciate international football in that you can't buy your way up the top of the table. You're stuck with whatever players your Country has spat out in the past while. I have a bit of respect for that.

But overall, I don't get too immersed in it. Considering how people on this thread have actually gone as far to telling people they shouldnt be watching Ireland matches due to them not supporting LOI etc etc, I'd rather not become like that. I'll go back to watching Breaking Bad and not cursing every Irish player that graced Gdansk's green fields. Better for the blood pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Any Germans care to translate what the commentator is saying?

Hes not really saying much :o

No seriously, at the start he makes a reference along the lines of 'while the Irish are singing this match out there's not much one can say about what's happening on the field' and then a minute later he gives his little match summary containing words like limited, contained and full control and thats it.

Hate to disappoint but he's not saying anything really about the singing or how great they are or so

Depending on the match and whats happening it wouldn't be unheard of in German football commentary if nothing was said for quite a while.
    It was a somewhat unique match situation and he obviously felt the pictures and the noise spoke for themselves and the viewer should just soak it in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Roy Keane is wrong on this one. It's not celebrating mediocrity. Or having a sing-song. It's showing humility, good grace and goodwill respecting both our teams efforts and the oppositions class

Well said that man. I haven't heard Keane's words first hand, but, greatest respect to him, what the **** would he know; he's never stood in a stand or followed a team. He's way off target with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

n32 wrote: »

Ignore the negative comments on here, the players and fans out there have done us proud

In light of some of the total scumbag behaviour of fans of other, better, more successful teams at the championship, the lads singing their hearts out at 4-0 down deserve the utmost respect and commendation. To think that others are slating them for their "lack of dedication" when it matters, on a fcuking message board of all places, beggars belief.

We have had our share of flag waving leprechauns, but the fans in the stadium tonight are the epitome of what "real" fans should be. We were outclassed tactically, physically, and technically on the pitch but the one area we outshone the opposition is in the stands, and i, for one, am proud of every single one of them.

Spain were vastly superior to us in every department and instead of booing or wrecking the gaff or starting aggro we tried to show everyone else that we support our lads no matter what.

You'll never beat the Irish indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The fans themselves aren't the one's criticised, nor actually the singing itself. It's the fact that when all the singing was taking place, it was all 'sure isn't that great to see' etc. It was almost the fact we weren't disappointed enough at the absymal performance that we always fall back on the supporters, who are great by the way, not disputing this. But teams performance will and always, always come before supporters. It just seems we tend to try and mask peformances using our supporters.

I agree with what Roy Keane said, which has been misread or misinterpreted by some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Corholio wrote: »
    The fans themselves aren't the one's criticised, nor actually the singing itself. It's the fact that when all the singing was taking place, it was all 'sure isn't that great to see' etc. It was almost the fact we weren't disappointed enough at the absymal performance that we always fall back on the supporters, who are great by the way, not disputing this. But teams performance will and always, always come before supporters. It just seems we tend to try and mask peformances using our supporters.

I agree with what Roy Keane said, which has been misread or misinterpreted by some.

Exactly.

There are two types of Irish fans - the ones there through thick and thin, who went to Armenia and wherever else while also heading to the Aviva on a miserable Wednesday night. Then there's the ones who wouldn't dream of going near an international game because tickets are too expensive or it's too cold but will fork out for a week on the tear in Poland where the result is second best to 'the craic'.

It's the latter people are taking issue with, and there was plenty of them on camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

you're contradicting yourself here, however much you try not to

it IS and WAS great to see.

The amount of times i see fans, both club and country, walking out of stadiums 20 mins before the end of the game because their team are taking a hiding, or booing them..... i'll take what happened tonight any day. All over Europe our fans are being celebrated for showing what it really means to support your country through thick and thin.

(and yes we may not be as supportive if we were 4-0 down at home to Andorra in the Aviva.......but to go all that way and for all the sacrifices fans made to make the trip, to put their disappointment to one side and sing their hearts out for 10 solid minutes is something that will live with me for a long time)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Xavi6 wrote: »

Exactly.

There are two types of Irish fans - the ones there through thick and thin, who went to Armenia and wherever else while also heading to the Aviva on a miserable Wednesday night. Then there's the ones who wouldn't dream of going near an international game because tickets are too expensive or it's too cold but will fork out for a week on the tear in Poland where the result is second best to 'the craic'.

It's the latter people are taking issue with, and there was plenty of them on camera.

I doubt the players care who was in the crowd tonight all they know is the fans supported them even though they were being outclassed by the best national team in the world.

Maybe some people think only season ticket holders should sing but i prefer what happened tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Amazing, absolutely ahavemasing fans in the stadium. Nothing and no one can take the unbelievable support we. Anyone in Gadansk is a HERO to our proud nation and we're as prod of them as we are of OUR boys in green.

• Advertisement

Exactly.

Look simple fact is most of us do not have the money to be following the Green Army to the hilt. I can only speak for myself but it would be impossible for me to follow them to Russia, Slovakia, Armenia, Macedonia, Andorra and Estonia.

Same might apply to a regular windy, cold wednesday night in the Aviva, if you live in Cork or Galway, tickets, travel, b&b, etc you're talking €100-€150 a pop.

People need to get it out of their heads that going to every game gives you a divine right to preach and look down to those who can only pick and choose which games they go to see but love their country and team just as much. I wouldnt begrudge the fans in Poland one iota for putting their time and money into this summer versus attending every friendly and qualifier at home or abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Exactly.

And then theres the guys who don't live in Dublin and can't get to an international game that often because they actually work and cannot get off early to go to every game so they pick the important ones or the ones that suit. Theres 5 guys I know in that situation who go to as many games as they can except when it clashes with a Sligo Rovers game which is their first allegiance. For 2 of those guys its their second trip over there somewhere, they were in the Ukraine when Rovers played there last year. And they actually take holidays from work to go to these tournaments. How dedicated is that for you!?

Of course you guys never think of the rural fans and there are loads of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Exactly.

Spot on, post of the night to be honest.

Being commended for being great at the auld singing is also preferential over putting up a good performance.

Have so much respect for the hardcore support who go all around europe supporting the boys in green. They don't court praise for their passion, they go because they love the game.

The Irish bandwagon has got praise for their support, and I can see why Keane's nose is slightly out of joint, he can almost see it as ireland accepting mediocrity once again. I never was a supporter of the man, but one thing he is is a winner, settles for nothing less.

"cheering on the lads" is admirable, but in some ways its counter productive if the performance warrants criticism.

In the case of irish fans its not really a pick me up for the players, rather its just a prolonged sing song, and they circle jerking about the media attention they are getting just proves that.

Lets not cod ourselves that it will be all ok because the fans are still singing. Thats boll*cks. Irish football has problems at its very roots, the LOI argument is not a way of claiming moral high ground. Its a stance taken by those who genuinely love the game of football, and want to see the national team work towards a more stable long term footing.

Irish fans tonight should be searching for answers as to how we can compete going forward. But I suspect most are just happy with their lot, and thats been the attitude for as a long as i can remember. We never demand more.

Some are of the opinion that "the lads gave their all". Im of the opinion that they simply didn't, some just didn't turn up. And i'm sorry if for that reason I don't feel the urge to give a standing ovation.

You celebrate mediocrity then thats what you will stagnate in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

it IS and WAS great to see.

The amount of times i see fans, both club and country, walking out of stadiums 20 mins before the end of the game because their team are taking a hiding, or booing them..... i'll take what happened tonight any day. All over Europe our fans are being celebrated for showing what it really means to support your country through thick and thin.

(and yes we may not be as supportive if we were 4-0 down at home to Andorra in the Aviva.......but to go all that way and for all the sacrifices fans made to make the trip, to put their disappointment to one side and sing their hearts out for 10 solid minutes is something that will live with me for a long time)

this seems to be more important to our fans, as opposed to the result.

I'm baffled as to why its so important to be recognised all over Europe as great fans?

eagle eye wrote: »
    And then theres the guys who don't live in Dublin and can't get to an international game that often because they actually work and cannot get off early to go to every game so they pick the important ones or the ones that suit. Theres 5 guys I know in that situation who go to as many games as they can except when it clashes with a Sligo Rovers game which is their first allegiance. For 2 of those guys its their second trip over there somewhere, they were in the Ukraine when Rovers played there last year. And they actually take holidays from work to go to these tournaments. How dedicated is that for you!?

Of course you guys never think of the rural fans and there are loads of them.

:confused: They would fall into my first category - the lads who actually care about the football. Thought that'd be fairly obvious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Exactly.

Seriously?...

You may call the fans casual fans of "lperechaun flag waving" fans or whatever shíte football snobs spout out, but I think its cingeworthy to have an issue with them. People at home watching the match on TV, posting on a internet message board complaining about some of the Irish fans at the match who were singing in Gdansk not being "real" fans. Cringe. The irony is strong.

These people spend a lot of money to go out there to support the team, who cares if they are also using it as a holiday at the same time. Also, who wouldn't have the craic out there, surround by lots of different nationality fans. Not everyone is a dry shíte who goes out there and sulks when the team loses or just spends the whole time discussing footballing tactics with the same few mates they went out with instead of mixing with the crowds.

Not everyone can afford or wants to go to every international match in the aviva but would prefer to go to the major tournaments. And I dont see any problem with that. The more support in the stands for the boys on the the pitch, the better, and thats all that matters. Not everyone lives in Dublin and can afford to go to regular football games either btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Lads, are ye seriously going through the ****ing "real fan" bull****?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Jayob10 wrote: »
    this seems to be more important to our fans, as opposed to the result.

I'm baffled as to why its so important to be recognised all over Europe as great fans?

Its the biggest stag party ever......the irish are the biggest event junkies on the planet.

As long as they can bring a bag of cans with them.

Singing the fields of athenry while the team embarrassed themselves on the pitch.

Quote of the night on RTE from ronnie whelan "we'd want to be careful or this could get embarrassing" It was 4-0 already :confused:

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Spot on, post of the night to be honest.

Being commended for being great at the auld singing is also preferential over putting up a good performance.

Have so much respect for the hardcore support who go all around europe supporting the boys in green. They don't court praise for their passion, they go because they love the game.

The Irish bandwagon has got praise for their support, and I can see why Keane's nose is slightly out of joint, he can almost see it as ireland accepting mediocrity once again. I never was a supporter of the man, but one thing he is is a winner, settles for nothing less.

"cheering on the lads" is admirable, but in some ways its counter productive if the performance warrants criticism.

In the case of irish fans its not really a pick me up for the players, rather its just a prolonged sing song, and they circle jerking about the media attention they are getting just proves that.

Lets not cod ourselves that it will be all ok because the fans are still singing. Thats boll*cks. Irish football has problems at its very roots, the LOI argument is not a way of claiming moral high ground. Its a stance taken by those who genuinely love the game of football, and want to see the national team work towards a more stable long term footing.

Irish fans tonight should be searching for answers as to how we can compete going forward. But I suspect most are just happy with their lot, and thats been the attitude for as a long as i can remember. We never demand more.

Some are of the opinion that "the lads gave their all". Im of the opinion that they simply didn't, some just didn't turn up. And i'm sorry if for that reason I don't feel the urge to give a standing ovation.

You celebrate mediocrity then thats what you will stagnate in.

can guarantee a large % of the fans in Poland are there to support Ireland and yes given it's a 2 week job obviously they're going to have the craic too. and so ****ing what if some of them are dressed as leprechauns and the like, you had the Dutch in all sorts of costumes and hats. It adds a bit of colour.

I reckon off the top of my head for a person in Kerry to have followed Ireland to the hilt through the qualifiers and friendlies, with the trips to Russia, Macedonia, Armenia, Andorra, Estonia, Slovakia, including flights , tickets, spending money, trains or petrol to Dublin, you would be talking the guts of €5000 and depending on matchdays, about 10 holiday days off work.

Most of this "bandwagon" are probably decent lads & girls who love the team and their country but that sort of expense and time off is beyond them. So to insult them by calling them fair weather fans or bandwagoners is not on really. They went out there and did us proud with their support.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

This topic about "real fans" is almost as embarrassing as the talksport videos from Poland where they go through the crowd looking for, as they put it, glory hunters, going up to city and Chelsea fans and quizzing them up to see if they're just a new supporter.

Football snobbery at its best...

Not everyone can afford or wants to go to every international match in the aviva but would prefer to go to the major tournaments. And I dont see any problem with that.

Well I do and it's perfectly reasonable to take issue with the people who only pile on the bandwagon for glamour events.

There are always caveats like location as you point out, but the fact of the matter is that if you want to be there you'll be there, whether it's for one qualifier or them all, especially if you have enough money for flights, accomodation and booze in Poland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement