Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs España

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

finty wrote: »
    Its the biggest stag party ever......the irish are the biggest event junkies on the planet.

As long as they can bring a bag of cans with them.

Singing the fields of athenry while the team embarrassed themselves on the pitch.

Quote of the night on RTE from ronnie whelan "we'd want to be careful or this could get embarrassing" It was 4-0 already :confused:

The fans were a credit to us. At least most know that we came up against an outstanding team tonight and the players gave it their best, that's why they showed their support.

Instead of singing what did you want them to do? Boo them or riot? Some people are never happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Jayob10 wrote: »
    this seems to be more important to our fans, as opposed to the result.

I'm baffled as to why its so important to be recognised all over Europe as great fans?

missing my point.....

All over Europe they are being celebrated. Yet on here we have the usual begrudgery about true fans, bandwagons, celebrating mediocrity.

We would all rather have a great team to go with great fans but with all the negative **** from this tournament with racism, thugs and violence i think it's fair to applaud our fans.

It's not important that we are recognised as great fans at all but fact is we are being.... except at home by a lot of you. Just strikes as odd.

We got hammered 4-0 by the world champions and have been the worst team in the tournament, inept and out of our depth, 4-0 is not good enough even with the players we have at our disposal. Everyone can agree to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

ColeTrain wrote: »
    The fans were a credit to us. At least most know that we came up against an outstanding team tonight and the players gave it their best, that's why they showed their support.

Instead of singing what did you want them to do? Boo them or riot? Some people are never happy.

Gave it their best?

Out of the 7 goals we have managed to concede in 2 games about 6 were accompanied by absolutely shocking defending.

Some people will tolerate any old ****e and sing along

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well I do and it's perfectly reasonable to take issue with the people who only pile on the bandwagon for glamour events.

There are always caveats like location as you point out, but the fact of the matter is that if you want to be there you'll be there, whether it's for one qualifier or them all, especially if you have enough money for flights, accomodation and booze in Poland.

ah come on man, 2 weeks in a cheap hotel in Poland, 3 match tickets and the booze that cheap can be done for less than a grand.

Sure you wouldnt even get to see every HOME match in the qualifiers for less than a grand if you live in Kerry or Donegal. Petrol, tickets, spending money, night in a hotel or hostel or b&b, you wont get away with anything less than €150 a pop.

As for away matches to Russia, Andorra, Armenia, Slovakia, etc even on all the package deals with spending money etc you're simply not doing them all for less than 3 grand and could be closer to 5.

missing my point.....

It's not important that we are recognised as great fans at all but fact is we are being.... except at home by a lot of you. Just strikes as odd.

We got hammered 4-0 by the world champions and have been the worst team in the tournament, inept and out of our depth, 4-0 is not good enough even with the players we have at our disposal. Everyone can agree to that.

some people here think they gave it their best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

My opinion. For the fans singing. Wow big deal. Get over it. We were hammered but at least we are the best country to have a party and get pissed and then we see the fat slobs on TV with a pint in their hand singing ole, ole, ole. What pisses me off too is the term COYBIG. Stick to the national game lads. GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Gave it their best?

Out of the 7 goals we have managed to concede in 2 games about 6 were accompanied by absolutely shocking defending.

this

That "singing along" could end up keeping the man in his job despite a dismal showing.

If theres something to sing about, 100% effort even, then go for it.

Its amazing how folks expectations fall. We are ranked 18th in the world not 180th. Teams ranked lower than us have put up better efforts against Spain.

Its amazing how most are willing to admit we are a ****e team and accept it when we get trounced 4-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

closeline wrote: »
    My opinion. For the fans singing. Wow big deal. Get over it. We were hammered but at least we are the best country to have a party and get pissed and then we see the fat slobs on TV with a pint in their hand singing ole, ole, ole. What pisses me off too is the term COYBIG. Stick to the national game lads. GAA

Ah yes because that's the barometer for success :rolleyes:

This is exactly the sort of shite myself and others have an issue with.

Gave it their best?

What were you expecting with the squad we have? Tonight is a reality check for some.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    What were you expecting with the squad we have? Tonight is a reality check for some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9ro2tg2Vmw

look at the number of irish players in the box asleep while fabregas strolls into position.

we arent great but we are better than that......these guys are meant to be professionals!!!

Get beaten by a better team fine but that is embarrassing

We are talking about basics of defending, not expecting world class stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

closeline wrote: »

With a name like your's and your ideals ( after all, GAA is a parochial sport in the big picture) ............ you should be hung out to dry!

look at the number of irish players in the box asleep while fabregas strolls into position.

we arent great but we are better than that......these guys are meant to be professionals!!!

The game was well and truly finished by then, Paul Green was even on the pitch.

I think you're underestimating Spain and overestimating us. We are an average team who play a very basic 4-4-2 and look to suck the life out of the game. We got lucky in the qualifying if we're being honest.

Spain are the World champions with some of the best players in the world, just look at their line up. The writing was on the wall from the start. There's not much else to be said except look to the next campaign and hope things change but I wouldn't bet on it.

Ah yes because that's the barometer for success :rolleyes:

This is exactly the sort of shite myself and others have an issue with.

the way you talk it's as if:

true fans = the lads who are lucky enough to afford to go to every match, home and away, through thick and thin.

Bandwagon = those who chose to use their money to go to a major tournament to support the team they love and combine it into a holiday. And maybe thrown on a leprechaun hat so they might get on the tv to wave to their mates at home. Add a bit of colour like the Dutch do with wacky headgear.

I'd have more time for the sort of position you are taking if you are actually in Poland and not in Australia or Dublin. By "having a problem" with the "bandwagon" you are implying you are a true fan - and you are not in Gdansk and that could be because you're busy with work, don't have the cash or any number of valid reasons; just like the rest of us have for not going to games at home or abroad.

Seeing as you are one the most knowledgeable and respected posters on here i think it's safe to say you're a true fan, just like i am sitting at home watching, and just like everyone in Poland who made the journey is.

Anyway, final point, even if there are some genuine bandwagon types, who never went to an Ireland match in their life, well an experience like tonight with the fans singing their hearts out, may well just be a "true fan" gained for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

RGDATA! wrote: »
    you're contradicting yourself here, however much you try not to

Go on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

it IS and WAS great to see.

The amount of times i see fans, both club and country, walking out of stadiums 20 mins before the end of the game because their team are taking a hiding, or booing them..... i'll take what happened tonight any day. All over Europe our fans are being celebrated for showing what it really means to support your country through thick and thin.

(and yes we may not be as supportive if we were 4-0 down at home to Andorra in the Aviva.......but to go all that way and for all the sacrifices fans made to make the trip, to put their disappointment to one side and sing their hearts out for 10 solid minutes is something that will live with me for a long time)

Not the point at all. You quoted my post didn't seem to even read the first line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I believe for most of you it wasn't great night, but - from my perspective irish team did the best they could. Honestly - stage group was really tough, and for country as small as Ireland - (almost) not possible to go trough.
    My team (Poland) has all the opponents that can be played if strong and motivated enough. If Poland had Spain, Italy, even Croatia - we would fail. But we were lucky so we have to win now with Czech Republic!
    Hope you can see my point now - draw with Greece and Russia, win with Czech and we are in!!!
    If we had such a strong group, we would be crying right now. What is worse we would have people complaining about coach, a team and violent fans...
    You showed some fight, and proud. I know all of you would like to see irish team in further stage, but it wasn't as easy, and playing Croatia and Spain is not an easy task. The boys did their best, and the fans did even better. Good Spirit all the way.
    I am pretty sure boys in green will fight in the last game. No way they would give up!
    I liked to see some spanish players having a chat with Irish ones after a game - Respect, Fairplay, etc...
    Bad score, but good game. Be proud!
    I hope you give some support to the hosts on Saturday, will You?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Not everyone can afford or wants to go to every international match in the aviva but would prefer to go to the major tournaments. And I dont see any problem with that.

Well, but the fact of the matter is that if you want to be there you'll be there

I'm sorry but please come back to the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

If you play Spain you are expecting world class stuff. Imagine 90 minutes of playing like that - you give up at some point. Spain was much faster - Irish team could not compete with that. 4-0 isn't unusual in spanish league. Remind me, how many irish players are there??? It is different, much faster play, not easy to play with. Look at english team - so much better some say - if not staying on their half for 90 minute they would be hammered with the same score with french.
    Let's be reasonable...They did their best, but in my opinion it was death group for Ireland, and no matter how much you wanted them to win, they were not capable. Miracles happen at tournaments like this, but not for Ireland this time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

n32 wrote: »
    Just back in my hotel after being at the match in Gdansk and read some of the posts belittling our singing in the closing minutes of the game. The attitude of some posters towards our fans is so disappointing. Out here for the last week the Poles have been telling us how glad they are to have us and how we ve caused no trouble, just had the craic. What were we meant to do at 4-0 down? Sit there with our arms folded or berate the team (who were doing their best against an amazing team) like some of the know alls in here? No, We gave the lads our support which they deserved and theyll get it in Poznan on monday aswell COYBIG

By the way it was a privelige to watch Spain in the flesh
    I don't think anyone is belittling the support, which was amazing. But support doesn't win you games. The whole Irish setup needs a radical attitude change but it's not going to happen with Trap there. When Paul Green takes to the pitch at the Euros you know there's something not quite right. This has been our worst ever performance at a major championship, and people saying it's because of limited players are talking out their holes. The only reason we have limited players is because Trap clearly isn't picking the most talented players at his disposal. Wilson, Hoolahan, Reid, Ireland, Clark etc. All better technical players than what we have in our 23. FFS Paul Green ahead of Darron Gibson? Andy Keogh, McShane consistently making squads. Trap has no clue and I hope he resigns after this, realising he's only taken us so far. Why would he though, when he's guaranteed a millionaires wage for the next 2 bloody years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

the way you talk it's as if:

true fans = the lads who are lucky enough to afford to go to every match, home and away, through thick and thin.

Bandwagon = those who chose to use their money to go to a major tournament to support the team they love and combine it into a holiday. And maybe thrown on a leprechaun hat so they might get on the tv to wave to their mates at home. Add a bit of colour like the Dutch do with wacky headgear.

There are of course caveats to every scenario like location but there is also divide in type of football fan. I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing that out when those who go along for the sing song are portrayed as the best in the world.
    I'd have more time for the sort of position you are taking if you are actually in Poland and not in Australia or Dublin. By "having a problem" with the "bandwagon" you are implying you are a true fan - and you are not in Gdansk and that could be because you're busy with work, don't have the cash or any number of valid reasons; just like the rest of us have for not going to games at home or abroad.

Seeing as you are one the most knowledgeable and respected posters on here i think it's safe to say you're a true fan, just like i am sitting at home watching, and just like everyone in Poland who made the journey is.

Well that's another thing, making the journey doesn't make you a true fan either. There's thousands around the world who couldn't be there but are more into the team than half of the 30k on the lash in Poland.
    Anyway, final point, even if there are some genuine bandwagon types, who never went to an Ireland match in their life, well an experience like tonight with the fans singing their hearts out, may well just be a "true fan" gained for life.

We'll see come September and the World Cup qualifiers but let's be realistic, the fan fair and buzz will die off completely after next week and it'll be back to normal at the Aviva. I doubt watching their country get hammered in every game will have people lining up for tickets.
    I'm sorry but please come back to the real world.

I meant it in the sense that if you can afford to go to Poland, you can afford some qualifiers if you are that big a supporter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Personally I couldn't care less about the Irish fans singing. If anything it's kind embarrassing. 4-0 down, I don't want them to be singing merrily.

One of the reasons they're singing is because they want to read later about how the Irish fans are such great guys and about the fans that were there supporting the team, "the best in the world". What's so great about singing? This isn't a singing competition. Maybe other fans just don't want to sing, they just want to watch the match. Singing is often just part of the crowd creating their own drama when they're bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Personally I couldn't care less about the Irish fans singing. If anything it's kind embarrassing. 4-0 down, I don't want them to be singing merrily.

One of the reasons they're singing is because they want to read later about how the Irish fans are such great guys and about the fans that were there supporting the team, "the best in the world". What's so great about singing? This isn't a singing competition. Maybe other fans just don't want to sing, they just want to watch the match. Singing is often just part of the crowd creating their own drama when they're bored.
    + 1 million. If that was in the aviva on a wet November night, they would be booing that abject display. It was a long, expensive way to travel so they have every right to have a good time despite the disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

eagle eye wrote: »
    And then theres the guys who don't live in Dublin and can't get to an international game that often because they actually work and cannot get off early to go to every game so they pick the important ones or the ones that suit. Theres 5 guys I know in that situation who go to as many games as they can except when it clashes with a Sligo Rovers game which is their first allegiance. For 2 of those guys its their second trip over there somewhere, they were in the Ukraine when Rovers played there last year. And they actually take holidays from work to go to these tournaments. How dedicated is that for you!?

Of course you guys never think of the rural fans and there are loads of them.

But that's not the case i'm sure for the majority of fans so point redunded! I have mates who went over and have never been in Lansdowne, i was out with them in town for the Croatia match and they only travelled over on tuesday. They didn't go to the Spain match and only have tickets for the Italy match! It's a p!ss up! Your friends in the situation you paint them in are in the majority!!

And LOL calling them rural. They can't make Dublin every now and again but go to Eastern Europe??

As you say, how dedicated is that for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

yep definitely time to blame it on the supporters over there.

wow.

we are diabolical, face it. Our best players are Dunne, Given, Duff and Keane. None are or ever have been world class. Maybe duff was exceptional for 2/3 seasons over six years ago. The rest are bobbins.
    We are bobbins.
    Face it.

Leftist wrote: »
    yep definitely time to blame it on the supporters over there.

wow.

we are diabolical, face it. Our best players are Dunne, Given, Duff and Keane. None are or ever have been world class. Maybe duff was exceptional for 2/3 seasons over six years ago. The rest are bobbins.
    We are bobbins.
    Face it.

We have! That's why we've moved on to another discussion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

+ 1 million. If that was in the aviva on a wet November night, they would be booing that abject display. It was a long, expensive way to travel so they have every right to have a good time despite the disappointment.

And if you paid hundred's maybe thousands to go all the way over to support the team maybe you might actually want to sing and support the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

And if you paid hundred's maybe thousands to go all the way over to support the team maybe you might actually want to sing and support the team.

and i'd also like my team to put in some kind of performance to be proud of in return,

ireland were atrocious..the singing glosses over that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

fryup wrote: »
    and i'd also like my team to put in some kind of performance to be proud of in return,

ireland were atrocious..the singing glosses over that

The singing does not gloss over it. Everyone here knows it & you can be sure everyone who has paid good money to travel out there knows how bad Ireland were. The reason they were atrocious is not going to be solved in the last ten minutes of last night's game

I'll let you into a secret!! When you go to a football match, singing occurs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Tut tut. Anyway, saw a very good post about this whole thing on another forum:
    hotspur wrote: »
    I was watching a little of Roy Keane bitching and moaning about individual player performances. The guy is not connected with reality. It is a very sad thing to see a person so utterly obsessed with this thing called "winning" that they cannot appreciate or enjoy life without it.

What is winning at the end of the day? A shiny cup? The people who go out there and enjoy their moment by moment experience living life as a end in itself as opposed to a means to a categorical end are the ones who are happy.

I'm with Kipling when he wrote:
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same"

Some people bemoan the Irish attitude of enjoying themselves supporting the team at tournaments even if they lose, insinuating that the attitude of just being happy to be there is somehow morally or aesthetically inferior to psychologically demanding success. But such grasping, in all its forms, leads to suffering. You don't need to be the Buddha or Freud to work that out.

I admire those fans who sing and celebrate despite losing. Anyone can celebrate when they win. To relinquish your capacity to be joyful to something like a football team winning a match is a sacrifice that too rarely has the payoff to be worth it. It is emotionally -EV.

I believe that the Irish attitude which underlies that singing and partying despite loss has a strong part to play in why Ireland consistently polls well in leagues of well being, flourishing, and happiness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Roy? Is that you Roy?

Embarrassing is "You'll never beat the Irish" - wish our fans would drop that one.

The Fields at the end was certainly not embarrassing. It was awesome.

Better than sitting on your arse whinging.....when you're bored.!!!

By the way, Roy Keane last night said something along the lines of that these players 'thought they were the business, but they've been given a reality check!!' Funnily enough, it's Keane who needs a reality check!! He's a bore at this stage who loves the sound of his own voice!! He's becoming a parody!!

roy keane for taoiseach

we all need a good kick up the arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

fryup wrote: »
    roy keane for taoiseach

we all need a good kick up the arse

Sure he would only **** off and quit if the seats in the dail were not comfy enough for him.

Roy Keane can drown in a barrel of his own ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I was there last night and it is laughable to read here posters saying that ppl who were singing didn't care about the result and were just on the bandwagon for a week on the beer and the football didn't matter. It did and all of the fans I spoke to or heard discussing the game on the tram back to the city were gutted at the result and extremely unhappy at the team selection and overall performance.

But what do you want us to do? Leave with half an hour to go or start a riot? Or stand silently with our head bowed in shame at being turned over by the world champions?

We sang because that's what Ireland fans do... They support their country even if they are gutted at the result and angry at the performance. And by the way, I agree with the Roy Keane quotes that I have read this morning too... It is patronising for the players/ managers/ FAI to gloss over the performance by shouting platitudes towards the amazing fans.

And don't even get me started on this 'real fan' nonsense...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

Can only assume the pure brilliance of the spanish football intoxicated the Irish fans into a sing song frenzy.

I see John Delaney's FAI have issued a statement on how brilliant the fans were last night, thats his first line of defence ...............!

FAI should get involved with the Irelands entry into Eurovision Song Contest as they seem to be more interested in the singing by the fans than the football "played" by Irish players.

It was cringeworthy stuff last night, the gulf between them and us is unreal

John Delaney was just on a p!ss up over there!!

I was there last night and it is laughable to read here posters saying that ppl who were singing didn't care about the result and were just on the bandwagon for a week on the beer and the football didn't matter. It did and all of the fans I spoke to or heard discussing the game on the tram back to the city were gutted at the result and extremely unhappy at the team selection and overall performance.

But what do you want us to do? Leave with half an hour to go or start a riot? Or stand silently with our head bowed in shame at being turned over by the world champions?

We sang because that's what Ireland fans do... They support their country even if they are gutted at the result and angry at the performance. And by the way, I agree with the Roy Keane quotes that I have read this morning too... It is patronising for the players/ managers/ FAI to gloss over the performance by shouting platitudes towards the amazing fans.

Plenty of fans were on the bandwagon, they haven't been to a qualifier in their lives.

As for Roy Keane, the chap isn't to be taken seriously!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Why is everyone goin on about the singing, as if it matters either way? We got knocked out against Croatia. We were always gonna lose this match, with us grabbing even one sneaky goal the most anyone could hope for! So even though we'd have a better chance of scoring at the feckin eucharistic congress, this match still went "according to plan". And by that I mean, we expected a loss, we got a loss. BTW, yes I did watch it and I take the points about the gulf in class/how badly we were beaten. But like I said, after the loss against Croatia, it REALLY doesn't matter whether it was 1-0 or 4-0, except for emotion.

The fact that people are criticising our supporters for supporting is ridiculous and I don't understand why its being discussed. Unless people are trying to grasp onto any positives about our time at Euro 2012, in which case, the supporters were very positive.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    So even though we'd have a better chance of scoring at the feckin eucharistic congress,

:D quote of the day,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The problem I have is that we didn't even play to our strengths. Cox and Keane? Against spain? We were always going to be demolished possession wise so why pick our two slow and small players? It makes no sense.

Spain are a small, small team. Pique is their only decent man in the air. Play with Walters and Long from the start, hit every ball long from the back. That way, Spains high pressure game works against them because all of their high men get bypassed.

High balls to Walters and long balls over the top for...well....Long to run onto. That was the only realistic way of winning that match and I'm disappointed in the whimper that we went out with.

Having said all that, I am the least patriotic man you will ever meet. But for some bizarre reason I was proud of the fans for singing at 4-0 down. In the same week that other fans rioted when they won, ours sang their hearts out after a mualing. I know it's juvenile and slightly patronizing but I can't explain it. I just felt pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I swear to God some people actually just see Roy Keane talk and make up what he said for themselves, he was doing analysis for a ****ing match, there were mistakes which led to every goal, what was he supposed to say? No Ward couldnt have done better for the first? No the team was excellent defensively and the Spanish goals were un preventable?

Open your eyes ffs, the man was disappointed with the performance, as many were, he wanted to see Ireland do well, as we all did, at least go out and put in a solid display if nothing else, getting a draw would have been an amazing result, was unlikely unless everything went our way though, the manner of the goals conceded left a bad taste in everybodys mouth, all you have to do is go back through the thread and you will see nothing but bitching and moaning about players.

He never once criticised the supporters, which is now being written about as fact, as I said, more just seeing Keane and making stuff up. It is ridiculous, to say that Ireland got a wake up call last night is hardly an innacurate statement is it? I don't think saying that the fans that give Ireland such great support deserve a little bit better of the team and the manager is a crime.

Wahey! Someone who didnt even get to see it on the telly last night but understands what was actually said!

Thank you

Why is everyone goin on about the singing, as if it matters either way? We got knocked out against Croatia. We were always gonna lose this match, with us grabbing even one sneaky goal the most anyone could hope for! So even though we'd have a better chance of scoring at the feckin eucharistic congress, this match still went "according to plan". And by that I mean, we expected a loss, we got a loss. BTW, yes I did watch it and I take the points about the gulf in class/how badly we were beaten. But like I said, after the loss against Croatia, it REALLY doesn't matter whether it was 1-0 or 4-0, except for emotion.

The fact that people are criticising our supporters for supporting is ridiculous and I don't understand why its being discussed. Unless people are trying to grasp onto any positives about our time at Euro 2012, in which case, the supporters were very positive.

In fairness, that stuff is now out in the open so hopefully that's the end of it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

We got knocked out against Croatia.
    We were never going to be good enough to qualify from the group. It was blind optimisim/patriotism that made people even consider that. Our achievement was just getting to be in a tournament with the top 16 sides in europe.
    We were always gonna lose this match
    Yep. They were going to batter us no matter what team we played, what formation we had etc. The probelm I have was the fact that Spain never had to get out of second gear to batter us. From the stats I found we committed 16 fouls :confused:. We are playing against the best side in the world who have an average height of about 5'5" and we never put in a tackle. The least I expected was that we would put it up to them physically but the players, midfielders especially, just stood there and watched Spain pass it around them. If you put in a tackle and miss it at least you could give a foul away which breaks up the play and the spainish rhythm. Not that it would have made a difference to the score but at least the spainish would have felt like they were in a game rather than an easy training session.
    The fact that people are criticising our supporters for supporting is ridiculous
    +1. They were the only Irish highlight of the game.

kryogen wrote: »
    I swear to God some people actually just see Roy Keane talk and make up what he said for themselves, he was doing analysis for a ****ing match, there were mistakes which led to every goal, what was he supposed to say? No Ward couldnt have done better for the first? No the team was excellent defensively and the Spanish goals were un preventable?

Open your eyes ffs, the man was disappointed with the performance, as many were, he wanted to see Ireland do well, as we all did, at least go out and put in a solid display if nothing else, getting a draw would have been an amazing result, was unlikely unless everything went our way though, the manner of the goals conceded left a bad taste in everybodys mouth, all you have to do is go back through the thread and you will see nothing but bitching and moaning about players.

He never once criticised the supporters, which is now being written about as fact, as I said, more just seeing Keane and making stuff up. It is ridiculous, to say that Ireland got a wake up call last night is hardly an innacurate statement is it? I don't think saying that the fans that give Ireland such great support deserve a little bit better of the team and the manager is a crime.

No he said the players needed a reality check as they think they're the business (paraphrasing)!! He's full of bullsh!t. Basically, the chap is the new Dunphy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

The match last night was like watching your bird getting shagged

...it was upsetting, but still I was a little bit turned on ;)

Spain were unbelievable!

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    No he said the players needed a reality check as they think they're the business (paraphrasing)!! He's full of bullsh!t. Basically, the chap is the new Dunphy!

He said, some of those players thought they were top players, that it was a reality check for them as in, you are not even prepared at the start of the game for such a huge game how can you think you are a top player? Not switched on for the start or second halves of either game.

That is not what top players do.

Your bitter is blinding you

Advertisement