Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verifed by Visa, Mastercard 3D Secure, Bank of Ireland

Options
  • 14-06-2012 7:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I just need to know if other people are having problems with this from Bank of Ireland. Every single time I go to purchase something online with my BOI Mastercard it rejects my password and I have to ring up card services and get the password reset, sometimes three or four times. Most lately I tried to purchase something online from Meteor.ie and it just totally failed and I had to use my Laser card instead.

Again this evening I tried it as my Sister is moving to Meteor also like I did last week and again it was a total farce, reset the password on her verified by Visa 3 times and it still failed, cleared the cache spent ten minutes re-entering details and it failed again. Alot of websites do not request it but more websites are increasingly requesting it. Last month I was in Malaysia and spent €10 on Skype credit calling BOI card services long distance just so I book my hotel rooms online with a website that was requesting the additional password.

I am really angry at BOI this evening as this system is clearly not working by them. I have tried different computers and IP addresses and it still rejects it. I always use Firefox as my browser.

Any ideas? I am very close to closing my accounts with BOI over this, and I am extremely angry with the bank over this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi Stinicker,

Thanks for getting in touch. I understand when the same issue keeps coming up it can be frustrating.

I've gotten in touch with our Credit Card Services team and outlined the problems you have been having. We would like to look into this for you. Please PM me your name and contact details and I will arrange for one of our representatives to give you a call so that we can determine what may be causing the issue?

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ThePetals

Hi Stinicker, Pat.

Did you resolve this problem yet?

My mother has been having the same problems this week with her card and has rang the bank 3 or 4 times - they say card is fine - different websites that she is trying to purchase from keep saying card is declined by bank...

Thanks in advance.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I had this before trying to buy stuff from tescos, I stopped using them last year as a result but just used it again this week and it seemed to have worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi ThePetals,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We were unable to look into the issues Stinicker was experiencing as we did not receive a pm to arrange a call back.

If your mother would like us to arrange a call back to look into this further, please pm us her name and contact phone number.

Thanks,
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ThePetals

Hi Tara,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will pm you her details now.

P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I am still having this issue and I cannot buy anything online which has 3D secure over this stupid system. Tonight this ridiculous system has caused me to add the same transaction to my credit card about 4 times.

I demand something be done about it and demand compensation for the absolute stupidity of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Stinicker,

As Pat mentioned previously, we can request that a representative from 3D Secure calls you to discuss this further if you would like to PM us with your name and contact details. Alternatively, you can speak with them by calling 0818 251 251 (option 1, then option 3).

Thanks,
    Graham

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I am still having this problem and I cannot buy anything online which requires either Verified by Visa or Mastercard 3D secure on my credit card.

My sister is also a BOI Customer and she has the exact same problems and tonight this problem has cost her over €100 because train tickets which she wanted to buy increased in price. I tried to book the tickets myself for her but my cards were also rejected.

Both my sister and I surely deserve some redress from Bank of Ireland over this farcical situation. Did Bank of Ireland hire the eejits from Ulster Bank to do their IT systems I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Stinicker,

As mentioned above, if you would like to send a PM with your name and contact details, we can have a representative from 3D Secure contact you and discuss. Alternatively, you can call them directly on 0818 365 365 - Option 1 and then 3

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

I was having this problem and I rang them about it.

Basically when it asked me to setup the password, it asked for my mothers maiden name, which I answered. This was then rejected.

The rep I was speaking to on the phone told me that they had saved my mother's maiden name in the wrong location, and he changed it on the spot.

Not sure if the same applies to other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 coolcom5

I have had this problem several times and just cancelled the purchase as it wasn't worth the hassle. Forgetting this recently,  I was locked out trying to buy Tesco phone credit. Apparently I didn't know either A) where i lived when i was 10 or B) my mothers maiden name. Firsly I dont recall applying for this Verified-by-Visa crap service, or how they got the street and maiden name info in the first place. Secondly, I foolishly decided to follow up on the unlock procedure. The help line operator requested i reveal my full BOI A/C number in order to unlock. I declined to as i will not reveal that info over a mobile phone. Aren't we advised to do this by banks ? Anyway it seems a shockingly devised system which no doubt is a direct import from a more organised and structured banking system abroad. Happy days with BOI !

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭magnethead

This is incredible,  I rang the 'Verified by Visa' department and explained my situation ....The lady(so sorry i didn't get her name) kept explaining to me that the only way it would lock me out is if I was entering the password incorrectly....It was very annoying, Sir are you sure caps lock is not on(aka are you thick)....I tried to explain that I work in IT and would not make sure a newbie mistake.

Thank god for the internet and the ability for people to come together.

This problem is known about since 2012....unbelieveable....

I got this Problem with www.elara.ie and the misses had the same issue with the same card on Tesco......Very very very annoying

PLease note, I've had this happen 8 times already, every time the password is reset, the purchase will go through, then when I go to make another purchase and it asks me for the password again on the same machine, it will ask and refuse 3 times before locking me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I thought it wad just me. For so long I had this issue with the mothers maiden name being in the wrong place and I ended up pulling my hair out. Eventually after far too many phone calls I got it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭magnethead

I thought it wad just me. For so long I had this issue with the mothers maiden name being in the wrong place and I ended up pulling my hair out. Eventually after far too many phone calls I got it sorted
    Fairplay, so this is due to the website been used has the maiden name in the wrong place....ie Tesco's has it in the wrong place...That's what the department is telling me now, I need to get onto them and correct it.
    Well we'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Bobking

Hey. 
    Friend had the same problem and after many calls the best solution,  Bank of Ireland decided, was to not use it. 
    Makes sense to me because if they can't confirm a single word then how serious can the security be? Certainly not 3d, 2d crayon drawing perhaps. 

2012-2016 how many times has this simple problem been ignored ? 

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Bobking

magnethead wrote: »
    Fairplay, so this is due to the website been used has the maiden name in the wrong place....ie Tesco's has it in the wrong place...That's what the department is telling me now, I need to get onto them and correct it.
    Well we'll see

I don't believe vendors are at fault because Boi boast that vendors do not receive your info.
    I think that entire frame( section of a webpage) is made, displayed and processed by Boi.
    The rest of the Web page could be from tesco but the maiden name and whatever you type into the box beside it are only handled by Boi. At least that is their claim when selling the pproduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kickerok

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Are there any banks or cards that do not use 3d secure and virifed by visa???[/font]

Advertisement