Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Educogym

• 14-06-2012 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Hi guys! I already posted this in the fitness forum but I'm particularly interested in what some of you nutrition regulars think.. I'm interested in starting a high intensity intermittent training programme and bar the supplement thing, these guys seems to offer a pretty good programme at a good price. I know myself the nutrition side makes sense for weight loss, I was considering doing it without using the supplements, just focusing on real high protein foods and veggies if I did join. I'd like if people only bothered offering informative opinions, rather than just shouting it down as Atkinsesque quackology. Or if people have any other idea for gyms/programmes offering HIIT programmes that'd be great, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Hi guys! I already posted this in the fitness forum but I'm particularly interested in what some of you nutrition regulars think.. I'm interested in starting a high intensity intermittent training programme and bar the supplement thing, these guys seems to offer a pretty good programme at a good price. I know myself the nutrition side makes sense for weight loss, I was considering doing it without using the supplements, just focusing on real high protein foods and veggies if I did join. I'd like if people only bothered offering informative opinions, rather than just shouting it down as Atkinsesque quackology. Or if people have any other idea for gyms/programmes offering HIIT programmes that'd be great, thanks!

Have you shifted you thoughts on nutrition science?

Nice to see you back btw :)

Can you give me more detail on their actual workout structure and what the diet entails apart from the supps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Hi! Thanks :) I'm not that well informed on the ins and outs tbh but from talking to the staff the phone and doing a bit of googling it seems that you start out with a hard core 12 day course of nearly zero carbs, lots of green veg, meat, eggs and nuts, liver supplements and daily workouts rotating upper body, torso and legs every three days. Then after that you reintroduce carbs gradually but to with a fairly low upper limit (I think), following a primal style diet as far as I can tell. exercise wise it's 2 20-25 minute sessions of HIIT with a trainer a week plus a workout schedule to do at home yourself, crunches etc.. That goes on for 3 months and then you start a maintenance programme after that if you want. It all seems quite logical to me, apart from the supplements.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Hello you! Welcome back!:D

I know real fitness heads say stay far away from it but they probably know everything about fitness so not sure if their advice applies to newbies.

I've certainly been tempted by it, just to take the effort out of creating a program of training etc.

What's the diet, low carb? I'm veering more towards low reward lately, but not too low, as that seems to bring on slight feelings of anhedonia, I NEED to get some pleasure from food. But more like plain-ish home cooked food with not too much embellishment paying no attention whatsoever to macros. In fact seem to naturally land at about 50% carbs, 35% fat and 15% protein. :eek:

Edited to say: Love the new blog, missed your amazing photos!

Thanks guys, it's good to be back! :D I know very low carb isn't very sustainable long term, but I kinda know myself that it's a really easy way for me to lose weight, any time I've cut carbs before weight has started falling off naturally. Since I moved back to the city I've started getting flabby, maybe it's an age thing too but it's pretty scary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I got one of those Living Social deals on Edugym, and it wasn't bad.

Basically, you get a trainer who stands over you and makes sure you sweat out every last rep on the short program. He pushed me past failure so often on my leg workout that I was a cripple for days after. I literally could not have run out of a burning building.

For what I paid for it, I was very happy. I'm not sure I would have paid full price, but that's a value for money thing.

• Advertisement

Jesus, that sounds rough, I couldn't be too sore to move around, I'd still have to go to work! What did you think of the support there? I need someone to kick me up the arse tbh, that's the main reason I'm interested in working with a trainer. Congrats on the book btw! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

They'll definitely kick you up the arse. They stand over you, counting out the reps. It was just legs I overdid, other body parts had only normal doms.

Thanks. Looks like there's going to be a fair bit of publicity about the book. I'd better tell my parents first, or they are going to kill me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You won't get anything with them that you couldn't get better somewhere else, but hey, some training is better than no training!!!

The one thing Educo do REALLY well is to systemise it, so they give you rules etc etc where a normal trainer might allow for some flex. Which only causes problems! Give an inch, take a mile and all that...

Ok, that's what I wanted to know, thanks! the systematic, kick up the arse approach is a big part of what appeals to me as someone with motivational issues, could anyone recommend somewhere better that specializes in HIIT offering a similar programme?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Ok, that's what I wanted to know, thanks! the systematic, kick up the arse approach is a big part of what appeals to me as someone with motivational issues, could anyone recommend somewhere better that specializes in HIIT offering a similar programme?

Is there any specific reason it HAS to be HIIT?

Depending on where you're based - a Crossfit gym may be a good option to explore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 carly j

I don't believe in big 5* star gyms anymore,totally over-rated.i went to dundrum educogym and spoke to one of the trainers and seemed genuine,now you cant fool or brainwash me.my friend has done educogym and loved it.
    Personnel trainers are for celebrity's with big money same again my opinion overrated again.
    Big gyms who ever gave them qualifications let alone jobs is beyond me,i always found it hard to get help from trainers in big gyms fob you and don't care.
    i am starting with educogym in two weeks and take it from there.

HAPPY DAYS

• Registered Users Posts: 9 aranmore

Hi just wondering if you went ahead with educogym and if so how successful it was / is?

I have just started a 6 week programme in Naas. Had done a lot of research and was very sceptical but after a lot of reading I decided to give it a go. I arrived with my 'don't you bloody dare ask me to do a before and after photo' speech ready! Have resisted the supplements entirely - not interested and I have to say that was not a problem - the 2 trainers I've dealt with so far, didn't push it.

I'm just starting the 12 day high fat, low carb diet. It just feels extreme - I hope I'm doing the right thing. and maybe looking for some reassurance!

The reason I started looking at Educogum was that I wanted was something to 'jolt' me out of the bad habits I've formed over the past 2 years. I'm a mum of 2, 33 years old - was always slim to average build and moderately fit - no marathons but lots of walking, swimming, a bit of yoga, a few classes at gyms - even the odd spinning class until I decided that beetroot red face was just not a good look for me! Watched my food in a sensible way - still lots of room for chocolate and the odd burger but pretty good on a daily basis.

Actually had no problems losing the weight after each baby, but after number 2 I just never managed to get any excercise back into my life and as soon as I returned to work, the weight started to pile on as my diet suffered a bit - too busy, too much running around, eating on the go etc etc.

I'm now at the very top of my healthy weight range (BMI 24.8 or something) and I need to stop that upwards creep or I will be in trouble.

I want to lose a good 10-12 lbs, tone up and just get back to 'normal' excerise. Every time I've tried to do that since baby number 2, everything else gets in the way and I'm back to square one after 2 weeks when I see very slow results. I suppose I just thought if I had someone to kick my ass, realised that I had spent money and therefore had to keep it up, saw quick results it just might motivate me to keep it up - I know that sounds lazy but I have so much going on, that if I don't see quick results I find it hard to stay motivated.

Anyway, you guys seem to have a bit of a clue. I'm not interested in Tony Quinn bashing, but honest feedback on the pros and cons. Can streaky bacon, full fat cream and eggs really help me weight?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I just wouldn't go near them

Advertisement