Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sold wrong size bike!

Options
  • 14-06-2012 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

hi,
    i bought a bike in dublin last october, i didn't use the bike much over the winter for obvious reasons. now spring and summer have come i have been out regularly but especially over the last 6-8 weeks.

my issue is i have been getting neck pain which is becoming worse, after speaking to a couple of people, they say my bike is to big and that i am reaching to much to the handlebars. i went into a few different shops that sell this particular bike and they say there is no way i should of ever been sold this size bike.

i spoke the shop re the pain in my neck and they altered the bike setup which does not seem to have helped. i will be contacting them again and pointing out the fact of the size and what other shops have said.

just wondering if anyone out there has come across this sort of thing or if i have any consumer rights re not being sized right in the first place by them,and that this is their fault and would not have happened if i had been sized right in the first place.

hope someone can help, thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Did you do any research whatsoever before you bought the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

only on the bike i wanted. its the shop that sizes you up for the size frame you require, its part of every bike shops service. they are the experts or should be !!!
    its only since i've been cycling longer that i'm getting the pain, then 3 different shops tell me its to big. not one shop would have put me on that size frame.

How tall are you and what size is the bike? I What did the shop do to adjust the size/setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

What size frame is it and how tall are you?

You should have saddle at a height so slight bend in the knee when at bottom of pedal stroke. The length to the handlebars can vary wildly and this is often not due to the frame but right setup of the stem. You can buy a shorter stem which may sort it out or the bike shop may change it for you since you are not comfterable.

saddle is fine, stem was shortened with minimal effects.
    frame is a 56cm, i am 5'6".

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's too big for you.

tell me about it. my necks hates it :mad:

Did you sit on the bike before buying or cycle it? Did they have that particular model in several sizes or just the one?

thats the one they said was my size. i was trusting their advice as i've never had a racing bike prior to this.

But what about trying the bike?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It's definitely too big. I'm the same height and a 48 or 50 would be the biggest frame I would go for. (Now, I had checked this before buying a bike.) Your issue would probably come under 'not fit for the purpose for which it is sold' because the bike itself is perfect. Thats your first problem. Your second problem is the length of time before reporting the problem to the shop. All you can do is go back and state your case and see what they are willing to do. After that if you are not happy you could take your chances in the small claims court.

i know, its a shame i bought it coming into the winter !!!
    the bike is a cracker, gutted about the situation as i love the bike.
    thanks for the advice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't think you have any come back on this tbh. The shop sells bikes, you bought one, that's that.

Considering the frame you bought is made for people about 6" taller than you, I'm amazed you didn't question them on it's size. Can you even touch the floor when sitting on it?

the stand over height isn't an issue, got a few inches between frame and nuts!!!
    only really had the issue since i started cycling over 40 km. thats when i started looking into it. it felt ok prior to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Should the heading be "Bought wrong size bike"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Op the law says that you have come back if you are relying in the seller's expertise but are sold the wrong product. Those posters saying it is your own fault for not researching etc are wrong. The problem here is the length of time that has passed since. If it had been a week later or so you would have had a case. You won't get anywhere with this unfortunately.

thanks udp
    davo10, whats the point in commenting if your your going tone a smart arse about it.
    i asked for help on the situation, and for those who have then thanks a mill.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If the bike has high spec parts you could always rebuild around a smaller frame if you thought it would be cost effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

I dont think he is being smart, It is fairly reasonable to expect someone to research buying a racing bike and not rely on info from the shop thats profiting from your purchase.

Best option for you is to sell it on Adverts or Donedeal and start again.

as i said, i've never had a racer, was expecting better advice, as they are the experts and every manufacturer has different frame specs sizes. its head wrecking. won't make the same mistake again !!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

as i said, i've never had a racer, was expecting better advice, as they are the experts and every manufacturer has different frame specs sizes. its head wrecking. won't make the same mistake again !!! :rolleyes:

Definitely a big size alright. I cant see the bike shop being able to do anything for you now. As mentioned a week later maybe but too long has passed now.

A new frame could do the job, maybe ask the shop if they can do something for you on this in terms of price and labour and all that.

got sorted. managed to sell bike privately and got a good deal on a new bike.
    guy in the shop was sound .
    fingers now crossed for pain free cycling!!! :D

Advertisement