Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

letter from PRTB

Options
  • 14-06-2012 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

I got a letter today from the PRTB stating that my tenancy was registered and gave me a number to use if i ever need to contact them regarding my tenancy and also to make sure i dont lose the letter as a duplicate will not be sent out.

I've rented 2 other properties in past year or so and both my previous agent and LL said it was registered......I am beginning to doubt that this was the case. Maybe that explains why my previous LL backed down so quickly when I had difficulty with them and said I would report them to the PRTB.

Does everyone whose tenancy is registered get this letter????
    Its the first time Ive ever even heard of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm surprised...

We got ours (one each! :D) about six weeks after moving in. Methinks your previous landlords weren't registered...Naughty naughty :p

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

i wonder how many tenants on here who read this forum and who, like me, know about the prtb, know that a landlord is meant to register their tenancies, but who dont actually know that you get this letter sent out to prove its been done?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

How long have you been at the place?

I've heard stories of people registering a tenancy and it taking more than 12 months for it to be processed by the PRTB, so you could be gone before it's processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Interesting; we filled the forms in ages ago but have not had a letter from PTRB,, wondering if the agent has it?

Regardless, tenants still have all the needful rights whether the tenancy is registered or not which is what matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 diceyreilly1

I have regisytered my tenancies since the PRTB was formed. Confirmation of registration has always been inconsistant. Most were not confirmed and if confirmed it was a number of months before letters arrived.
    Other discussions will confirm that the register is not consistant for any purposes. However as a LL I think it is in all parties interests to register the tenancy unreliable as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Graces7 wrote: »
    Interesting; we filled the forms in ages ago but have not had a letter from PTRB,, wondering if the agent has it?
    When I moved into my new place (end March, last) I was waiting for numerous documents/ letters (driving licence, car insurance, car registration documents) from people only to find that the postman did not have my name in relation to the property so he did not deliver the post and it was returned to sender. Knowing that the dates some of these were sent but not recieved, I went to the local PO who told me that they would have been returned to sender. Once I was known to be living there, all the post arrived.
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Regardless, tenants still have all the needful rights whether the tenancy is registered or not which is what matters.
    Furthermore, if the landlord is not registered, he cannot make a claim/counter claim against the tenant until the tenancy is registered, which the PRTB seem to accept at any time (even at the end of a tenancy) on payment of the late registration fee.

Advertisement