Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Card reader

Options
  • 14-06-2012 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hey all, I just ordered AIB card reader what exactly is this thing?

Also I kind of accidentally ordered this because I wanted to transfer some money from my bank account to my PayPal before I go away. Didn't know all I have to do was to click the "Start" button to order it. I want to know if I needed to be at home to receive this card reader?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

AIB card reader what exactly is this thing?
    It's for online shopping. the code is generated and some online shop's will ask you for the code it's more secure.

Do I need to be at home to receive this card reader?
    No it will fit in the letterbox it's sent by normal post.

Happy shopping:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's not for online shopping, it's for authorising funds transfers and other high-risk operations on your internet banking.

Basically you insert your Banklink card, enter your pin and the online banking site will give you a code. You enter that into the device, it returns another code and you enter that into the online banking site.

Using your chip and pin card + the device, it's able to uniquely identify you.

It replaces their older Code Card system which used a printed card with 100 unique one-time-codes.

It's the size of a small calculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

It fits the letterbox easily, no need to be at home to recieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭GermanicGalore

Looks very much like a calculator. I don't really understand though why AIB had to change from the code card to this thing. The code card fit easily into my wallet, which is great for travel.
    I accidentally left it behind during a recent trip to the States....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Just wanted to do an international payment online and can't because I have to order a card reader.

Nuisance. Pity they can't give an option for customers to sign a disclaimer so if you are happy to take the risk on your account you can do so.
    The code card fit easily into my wallet, which is great for travel.
    I accidentally left it behind during a recent trip to the States....

There's the problem though. First - you have to remember to take it and second you can lose it. With the code "card" I had taken the codes off and stored them in a text file on Gmail so I had access to it wherever I went.

2012 and having to carry around a plastic reader in your wallet?
    :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement