Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which TeaBags do you use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

You say it like you're ashamed or something. I've tried them they're not bad.
    Not great but not bad.

Yeah strong tea is very nice, once you sample it, it's very hard to go back.

I'm not ashamed of them at all, I like them, I give the teabag a good beating and I get a strong cup out of it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Lyons all the way. No matter how broke I am, if I'm buying teabags they have to be Lyons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I do my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Fuck tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Tea, Earl Grey, hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Barry's Gold Blend in our house. Militantly so.

I even managed to convert the company I work for, to buying crates of Barry's instead of Lyon's. Apparently some people were nicking my teabags and then just replacing them, and by some people I mean everyone. :D

I even bring it with me when I travel. Nothing like a bhlast of Irish shcald when you're up the Alps or looking out over San Francisco Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Lyons. It's well nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Tesco and/or Twinings Earl Grey tea for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭CúilChip

Lyons tea is blended and packed in the UK, Barry's is Irish. So Barry's all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 DuvetCover

Barry's original in our house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

realies wrote: »
    lemon & ginger or apple & cinnamon. lovely jubbly ;-)

These are not teas.

Fruit and herbal infusions can be nice but they are not teas. Take a look at the packaging. If the word tea is used it is misrepresentation.

Have a look here http://www.melange-tea.com/2011/07/30/tea-basics-what-is-tea/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

DuvetCover wrote: »
    Barry's original in our house.

Barrys also do the best Earl Grey tea. This is tea despite having a flavouring of bergamot.

barrys or lyons mostly

earl grey is lovely once in a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Lyons, barry's or lidl. Prefer lyons or barry's love it when the tea is strong and golden! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Lyons for me. Barry's is alright, not bitter enough though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Lyons when I can get it :D. Otherwise English Breakfast Tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Pandora2 wrote: »
    The Barry family hail from Cork...it's also very popular with Fine Gaelers!!

it's also very popular withBlueshirts There! FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I hate tea, Coffee FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I usually go for TessTeas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

As an avid tea drinker it was only ever gonna be Lyons for me but I recently had a cuppa at a friend's house, thoroughly enjoyed it and was surprised when she told me it was McGrath's from Aldi.
    I wouldn't have even considered swapping Lyons' for it but I'm converted now and for all you Lyons' fans out there, I say give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Thread needs poll.

And Lyons, because Barrys is pish water, and the pyramid shape gets better tasting tea quicker! Test it. Pour 2 mugs of boiling water, let the water settle, slowly put a Lyons pyramid tea-bag into one and a round/square Barrys into the other, see which produces more tea!

Must give this McGraths a go...

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

The local supermarket only sells Barrys or Lyons, and since Barrys are Irish I tend to buy them.
    Wouldn't say one tastes better than the other just different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Twinings English Breakfast, I'm not a big tea drinker though. I prefer coffee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I find most twinings teas ****e.

I was in south america for a while and have been without "irish" tea for about 6 months then one day I was walking through a retail over pass (over pass from a shopping distract to a shopping centre over a motorway, so basically a bridge with a roof and shops) and there was a Tea/Coffee stall and they had Twinings "Irish" tea. So I rodered a cup form the nice Swiss man who ran it and I was never so disappointed in my life.

Got back to Ireland a few weeks later and the first thing I did when I got to the mothers house in Athlone was make myself a cup of Barry's gold blend. Jaysus it was mighty, never felt so at "home" in my life.

Was actually disgusted when I landed in Dublin at stupid o'clock in the morning form Madrid to discover that the food court in arivals only had Earl Grey and not proper "Irish" tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

tetley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Yorkshire tea or Barry's Green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Growing up it was only ever Barrys in our house. Now that I have my own house that is also a Barrys. Gold Blend tea bags and Red label leaves (for Saturday and Sunday mornings).

Like a previous poster I used to bring my own box of Barrys to work. Working in a Dublin I suspect my fellow boggers were using my Barrys.

We bring a few taybags with us anytime we go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Aldi tea bags for me, apparently made by Rbt. Roberts and co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

coffee flavored tea made from coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

The Aldi ones - perfectly fine for everyday but when I want a comforting cuppa I have either Twinnings Earl or Lady Grey or their Chai if really stressed.

I treated myself to a box of Fortnum & Mason teabags last time I was in London and I was really disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am drinking tea a long time and it all does not taste the same.

I drink a lot of different types but my other half loves barry's

I will not drink most of aldi/Lidl tea and i have tried it.

Although i believe supermarkets like aldi/lidl are not supperlier loyal with an item like tea so its good to check back in every now and again,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

For work, Aldi or Lidl - usually Lidl, for home Barry Gold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Barrys all the way. Worst tae has to be that Lipton ****e. It's sold in most places in the states. I reluctantly became a coffee addict when I lived there.

Lyons always bought for the house. Work it's bewleys clipper gold which is lovely tea.

I'd love a nice mug of tea right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

akura wrote: »
    I just buy the cheap Lidl/Aldi stuff, But i know some people who for whatever reason only buy branded stuff like Lyons ect , it all tastes the same imo

Teabags are absolute muck; open one up and you'll see it's just dust and not proper tea at all. The only way to make a decent cuppa is using a tea pot and tea leaves...

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Ben Hadad

Assam tea for me. I used to drink Barry's, which is substantially superior to Lyons in my opinion. Irish tea is a blend of Kenyen and Assam tea leaves so I haven't gone too far from my roots.

Also the reason Irish tea is so strong in relation to other teas is because our milk is so rich. If you really want to taste the tea you need to drink it without milk. Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Tetley One Cup .. only 1.49E for 88 in dealz

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I'll drink any, though you can definitely taste the difference when you make tar tea as strong as I do :D I like Bewleys Gold Blend, and Lyons, and Punjana. I keep meaning to order some fancy teas online to see what they're like but I never seem to get round to it.

Surprisingly enough, I'm not a fan of Earl Grey. I find it a little too bitter :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Lyons tea is what I like the best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

The liquorice teabags are very nice but you have to leave them to steep for a good 5-10 mins to get the full flavour.

Other nice teabags include peppermint and the apple and cinnamon(mentioned by someone else here).

Also, not teabags but there's a little shop in Galway(I forget it's name) that sells loose tea in jars. They have dozens of different types and sell it by the 100g bag. A great place for the serious tea drinker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

Tea bags are for the working class and common folk. Tea leaves in a china pot is the only way.

I'll drink any, though you can definitely taste the difference when you make tar tea as strong as I do :D I like Bewleys Gold Blend, and Lyons, and Punjana. I keep meaning to order some fancy teas online to see what they're like but I never seem to get round to it.

Surprisingly enough, I'm not a fan of Earl Grey. I find it a little too bitter :eek:

On this note, I just googled some different tea stores in Ireland and have decided to go on an expedition tomorrow to find some nice teas :D So excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I wouldn't agree with the OP that all tea tastes the same, tea connoisseurs can detect shi1te product at first taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Lyons and PG Tips are exactly the same Tea, made by the same company and shipped in identical boxes (except the print obviously).

I wouldn't agree with the OP that all tea tastes the same, tea connoisseurs can detect shi1te product at first taste.

Definitely. The stuff we get in college is awful. You need at least 3 bags to get any sort of flavour at all - otherwise you're just brewing paper :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

Lyons tea has been shyte since the 90's when PG tips took them over
    Barry's tea is not bad
    McGrath's tea bags in Aldi are very good
    The best by far is the northern ireland brand 'Punjana' - Now that's real tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Punjana are top-notch IMO..

.. plus they're very cheap too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I always get Barrys, nothing against the rest, like to buy Irish but I think the main reason is my Mammy buys Barrys!

I think its a bit like milk, I always buy Champion Monaghan milk but I wouldnt have a hope in telling the difference with other brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

loose leaf ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

McGrath's from ALDI .... grand cuppa but I wouldn't be a big tea drinker

• Advertisement
Advertisement