Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which TeaBags do you use?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Robert Roberts Kenya Blend. Too much tannin in Barrys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

gufnork wrote: »
    Also, not teabags but there's a little shop in Galway(I forget it's name) that sells loose tea in jars. They have dozens of different types and sell it by the 100g bag. A great place for the serious tea drinker.
    Camilla's Place or something, I frequent it regularly, on the ground floor of the Eyre Square shopping centre, it was a bold move opening something like that in the middle of a recession but it seems to be working out for them.

I highly recommend their Dragon Phoenix Pearl blend, jasmine green, just the thing to unwind after a hard day.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭diabloro

Gotta love getting my t-bags

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

im big into roberts mint tea its just lovely and fresh feels good have been drinking it for 3 weeks now and dont feel bloated like you can do with instant coffee and regular tea..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

This thread has convinced me to make a cup..

Barrys >> Lyons, If I'm honest, i don't think I've every tried anything else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

On this note, I just googled some different tea stores in Ireland and have decided to go on an expedition tomorrow to find some nice teas :D So excited!

Palais de Thes....mmmmmmm:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Avoca have great tea pots with a stainless strainer built in.

Great for loose tea.

Only €15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

the b/f's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Lyons, Barry's, Punjana - all crap. M&S tea is much, much better. Why buy the pedestrian crap when you can have good tea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Bewley's Gold Blend is the only tea for me. I live in Canada and have to buy it from specialty stores - $10:00 for a bag of 80 - but it's bloody worth it.

Buy it online direct - cost price! :)

http://www.barrysteashop.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

Lyons, but only because that's what's in the house. I'm not fussy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

Loose tea is the only way to go. (Assam 2/3 Darjeeling 1/3 - but this alters depending on my mood - earlier in the day more Assam...)

For normal day to day tea loose tea, Barry's. Tea bag tea if there is no alternative.

Lyons Gold blend reserve, barrys do a nice earl grey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Teabags are for the weak. The tiny amount of extra effort to prepare tea from loose leaf results in a far better cuppa than the floor sweepings Lyons and Barrys put in their teabags.

Though all evidence suggests Barrys has a slightly cleaner floor to sweep things off. >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alphasully

Has to be Barry's for me, although like Sarky said the extra effort to make a pot from loose tea is well worth it

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Barry's Gold blend. I like Lyons too.

Actually went through 160 teabags of McGrath's, Aldi's Irish tea, and it wasn't too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭the_pits

Using same one from last week .........there is a recession on you know .....damn cut backs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

None.

I'm one of those non-tea-drinking non-coffee-drinking weirdos.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

I'd been on the mission to find the perfect tea. However, I've been derailed as rooibos has taken over my life and I need it in all its manifestations.

Tea bags (black teas) are only good for one thing. I am from the southern US and we do some perverted things with tea. On a hellish summer's day with temperatures above 32 C, a tall glass of sweet iced tea is refreshing. Then there are the mint juleps: minty sweet tea with bourbon. Lyon's makes a fine mint julep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Lyons I have here at home, tbh I have one cup of tea a week, Saturday lunchtime before I head to the pub.

I drink very little tea and hardly ever drink coffee, yes I know I'm a bit of a freak :o

Just had my first proper cup of tea in nearly two weeks. Nicest cup of tea ever. Lyons of course!

Just had my first proper cup of tea in nearly two weeks. Nicest cup of tea ever. Lyons of course!

Yeah but you'll never be able to eat pizza over here again :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

punjana 80 teabags in tescos

kfallon wrote: »
    Yeah but you'll never be able to eat pizza over here again :p

Ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Lidl Teabags. Cheap and they taste just as good!

• Advertisement

Truley wrote: »
    Lidl Teabags. Cheap and they taste just as good!

Now I'm no tea expert but is there much difference between any of the different brands? Again, I'm no expert, just asking so no attacks by the tea aficionados :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I buy the Aldi ones. Grand job. Nice with some brown sauce. Delish man.

Madame K wrote: »
    I'd been on the mission to find the perfect tea. However, I've been derailed as rooibos has taken over my life and I need it in all its manifestations.

Tea bags (black teas) are only good for one thing. I am from the southern US and we do some perverted things with tea. On a hellish summer's day with temperatures above 32 C, a tall glass of sweet iced tea is refreshing. Then there are the mint juleps: minty sweet tea with bourbon. Lyon's makes a fine mint julep.

Lipton ICed Tea is awful, awful, stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Yorkshire tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

jayteecork wrote: »
    Lipton ICed Tea is awful, awful, stuff.

Bottled iced teas are terrible...turrible. I can't speak with authority, I've only had one, nestea :eek: The ingredients were questionable and it tasted very strange. You only need tea bags, water and about a 5 lb bag of sugar. It's not good unless somebody gets diabetes. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

kfallon wrote: »
    Now I'm no tea expert but is there much difference between any of the different brands? Again, I'm no expert, just asking so no attacks by the tea aficionados :pac:

In summary, what most Irish people like and drink all day, is a blend known as "Irish breakfast tea", it's a strong blend of several black teas, most often Assam teas (produced in the mountain slopes of North India and Kenya) :

Yes, you cannot beat loose tea, but even in teabags, there's a big difference, try for yourself :

Lyons : trading on a long gone bygone reputation, no longer tastes the same as it did, now just a rebranded crappy tea since the english megafirm PG tips bought them out in the 90's

Barry's : not bad, and has a loyal following by the Cork only bridage

McGrath's (Aldi own brand) : Surprisingly, very good, right up there with Barry's. A clever blending and branding by Aldi.

Punjana : IMO, by far the best teabag on the market today. Still produced by the same Belfast famaily firm, the Thopmsons, since 1896. It's also priced very competitively.

Once you've switched to any of Barry's / McGrath's / Punjana for a while, you won't go back to other brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

^^^^ don't forget robert roberts! love their luxury blend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

gigawatt wrote: »
    ^^^^ don't forget robert roberts! love their luxury blend.

Robert Roberts supply the tea to Aldi. The luxury blend is the same as Aldi's Specially Selected tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Barry can keep his tea, I'm a Twinings man myself.

Advertisement