Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Key/Flash based virus "DORKBOT"

• 14-06-2012 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭

My sister was in South America and managed to pick up a virus on her USB key, its called dorkbot and is apparently very common over there. Anyway I've tried malwarebytes and panda usb vaccine but I've been unable to remove the virus from the usb key. The files havent been deleted just rendered 'invisible' on the usb key. Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Are you sure any machine you have inserted the USB in has not been infected?

As long as you have autorun turned off on any removable drives and NEVER click on any run confirmation prompt unless you had chosen to run whatever you are being prompted to confirm you should avoid viruses spread by removable media.

The files have probably just been hidden.

Personally I would boot a machine from a bootable USB with a Linux distro on it and use that to extract any files from the USB stick you wish to retain.

YUMI from pendrivelinux http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/ I find is great for creating a bootable USB with a variety of tools on. Initially I would put Puppy Linux and Kaspersky Rescue Disk on it.

Either boot into Puppy and use it to copy your data or boot into Kaspersky and get it to clean the infected USB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Copy off the files on a lightweight linux distro like said before then just format the usb stick, nothing will remain. Do a scan on the files taken off before you put them anywhere near a healthy computer, too.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Download OTL to your Desktop
    • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
    • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files here

Advertisement