Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile version woes.....

Options
  • 14-06-2012 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭

Why do I get multiple versions of the same thread on the home pages of the mobile version?

Also the last six or so threads on page 1 will appear as the first six or so threads on page 2, will continue all the way to page 7.

Finally, it's erratic but sometimes when you post a reply it doesn't appear. You have to either refresh or post again.

All very annoying, why they happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

And another thing....

Going back a page, you no longer revert to the position you were on the previous page. You go back to the top of the page.

ios5.1 btw......

As far as I'm aware, Site Development is where these sort of questions need to be asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

What's the "mobile version"? Do you mean http://touch.boards.ie or http://m.boards.ie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

What's the "mobile version"? Do you mean http://touch.boards.ie or http://m.boards.ie ?

Thanks Danny,

Touch.boards.ie

Do I need to post this query on the Site Development board? ;)

It's already here, I moved your thread over to Site Development last night :)

• Advertisement

Why do I get multiple versions of the same thread on the home pages of the mobile version?

I don't know. Could you take a screenshot the next time this happens and post in here? :)
    Also the last six or so threads on page 1 will appear as the first six or so threads on page 2, will continue all the way to page 7.

Every time you change the page of the latest threads you essentially say to the server "Page X of the Latest Threads (relative to right now) please". But in between you scrolling down the list and clicking Page 2, people are posting away on threads. So the threads that are on your Page 1 are moving down the list of latest threads on the server. Then you request page 2 and some of those threads will appear on page 2. If you keep going the same thing will happen. It'd be different if you came on at 5am when it's typically quiet, your page 2 would most likely be completely different than page 1 since hardly anybody is posting.
    Finally, it's erratic but sometimes when you post a reply it doesn't appear. You have to either refresh or post again.

This is a replication issue. We run a database setup where there are several copies of the database. Changes replicate to all the databases pretty fast but under times of high load there may be a delay with replication. This means while Database A has your post when the page reloads you query Database B for all the posts in the thread and Database B is slightly behind A so it doesn't have your post. This is why by the time you refresh the page again, B has caught up with A and your post appears.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement