Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Requests isn't working

Options
  • 14-06-2012 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

Maybe, if there is obvious support for a forum, such as polls, demonstrated support, active and growing membership, and (most obviously) the flowchart in the Forum Request is followed to a tee; could perhaps the forum be set up in a timely manner? Request put in for a Triathlon Forum back in March, huge support for it, knowledgeable and willing Mods waiting, its already part of a larger forum, and all we hear is that Boards is bigger than it used to be, its not so easy to set things up anymore.

No offense meant to anyone, but Boards was more fun when it was user-driven, and that doesn't appear to be the case anymore. I earned my volunteer stripes as a mod for a couple of years, and I reckon some of the crap I put up with gives me the right to be a bit cranky about this: can someone just flick the bloody switch, when there is so much obvious demand?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Adding extra forums or sub-forums needs to be considered and takes time. Simply adding new forums because people like the idea would not always be of benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Adding extra forums or sub-forums needs to be considered and takes time. Simply adding new forums because people like the idea would not always be of benefit.

Moot point, when there's a huge userbase (its part of an existing forum), who have voted largely to split, and followed all the directions on Forum Requests. This isn't any vanity forum, its something that would be of tangible benefit to the many users currently posting on the Triathlon sub-forum, who have voted to go it alone, and have followed the directions on the Forum Requests (currently 80+ votes "for").

At issue is the speed of adding a forum with demonstrable support. Hand's up, I've been advocating this forum for quite some time, and have received feedback ranging from "set up your own usergroup" to "just wait" (and wait, and wait...). If in fact Boards has become some place where user requests don't get acted upon because of paperwork or committee, thats fair enough, I'm not paying any bills. But IMO it would be better if it was user-driven (as in this request).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

How many times have you brought this directly to the attention of the admins? You're aware there aren't all that many of 'em, they're not always online, they're not always focused on new forums when they do get online etc

If there's such support for a main forum, and you currently have a sub-forum that's thriving with a solid userbase then what's the tremendous rush? There's the question of mods too, I assume these mods get vetted before the forum can be created.

Seems it got changed to "Approved" last night... Thanks to whoever did that :)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Seems it got changed to "Approved" last night... Thanks to whoever did that :)

Not such a "moot point" after all then:
    Adding extra forums or sub-forums needs to be considered and takes time.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I was doing the New Forum requests for a while but ended up breaking boards as often as I got it right :pac: it takes SO much time to do it, I had no idea. Having support is the first step then you need to check and see would it conflict with an existing forum and consult mods and cmods. This alone can take days/ weeks if a conflict does arise. Then you need to figure out where to put it and who will mod it. Then you need to actually make it which - if you're not technologically minded like me - involves wrecking the other Admins/ Dev guys' heads with questions and praying it doesn't cause a small explosion every time you press a button. And then on top of that it can only be done at specific times of the day to prevent the hamsters having strokes.

So yes, it does take time, the system isn't perfect, but we're volunteers too and forum requests is unfortunately one of the more time costly tasks we carry out so - and excuse the customer service speak here - your ongoing patience is appreciated :)

g'em wrote: »
    your ongoing patience is appreciated :)

Or in this case impatience!!! :D

(Only kidding Kurt)

Or in this case impatience!!! :D

(Only kidding Kurt)

Hands up, I'm impatient all right! But having initially helped mod the A/R/T forum for a couple of years, then polled users to see if there was a desire for a standalone Tri forum, them approached the current mods, who approached the Cmods/Admins, and followed the "forum request" flowchart... it seems as though my impatience and posting about it here helped to get it nudged to approved. Maybe that shows that posting in "Feedback" works?

In any case, thanks to those who helped get it approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

would you believe coincidence?

I usually only get a chance to sit down and go through the forum requests on a thursday evening. I went through the 1week and ongoing threads last night and made the updates today when I got a chance.

but you are right, I had left them idle too long. RL just kept getting in the way, so, sorry for the delay (and apologies to anyone still waiting. I'll be updating the "new" ones tonight).

LoLth wrote: »
    would you believe coincidence?

If it means that the system works, rather than he who shouts loudest (me) gets dealt with quicker, I'll take coincidence:D

Thanks again for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,492 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Patience! It took us something like 18 months to get the Oulwans 'n Oulfellas (I have to check the spelling of that every time!) forum. Sigh. Young people today, so impatient!

Edit: correction, it was just about 12 months :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

looksee wrote: »
    Patience! It took us something like 18 months to get the Oulwans 'n Oulfellas (I have to check the spelling of that every time!) forum. Sigh. Young people today, so impatient!

Edit: correction, it was just about 12 months :)

Same length of time it took us to get C&H for the young folk before ye! :p

Advertisement