Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My son just gone to A&E our GSD attacked :( **UPDATE POST #57**

• 14-06-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Folks,
    Apologies I am aware similar discussion here recently but I'm in a state of total shock feeling very bewildered.

Few months back I posted here about issues where my 3yr old male GSD was attacking me 13yr old son anytime my son came close to me.

He was also stripping his teeth at my partner (female) when she came close to me. From discussing the issue with a few dog experts and here on boards most people were recommending my son take over feeding etc in order for the dog learn to have respect for him we did that occasionally.

Anyway total disaster tonight we were lying up on the couches watching the match, my son moved over towards the dog on the big setee to get close and show the dog some affection next thing I a split second the dog went mental and was basically eating me sons face! Inguries look horrific lucky to still have his eye and Ambulance just took hi off along with his mother.

I am going over soon to the hospital.

The dog is out in his kennel and I had given that dog the best life ever he went everywhere with me he is mad about me and me of him. But now I am totally bewildered I am still full of adrenaline but I feel I can't go on living with the dog in our home he is too much of a liability :(

I cold not bare to give the dog away as I know the dog is totally besotted with me and he would always be heartbroken for me.

It kills me to say this but I think he will have to go for an eternal sleep.

Please advise me, heading off to the hospital now I will have boards on my phone, god I hate the thoughts of waking up tomorrow :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Sorry to hear about your child. Hopefully He makes a full recovery. Only you can make that decision on whether to rehome or put to sleep. Best of luck with whichever decision you decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Very sorry to hear about your son. Regards your gsd, only you can make that decision but maybe get a dog expert to assess him/her before you make the decision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

God thats terrible:(

I would agree with Borderfox. It is not going to be easy but I would get the best I could to assess the dog.

I hope your son is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I see you have posted in the re-homing thread. Best of luck with finding a suitable home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Can anyone recommend a dog assessor for the midlands who can do it urgently like tomorrow?

I can also travel to Dublin tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I have a 3 yr old male GSD who cannot be trusted with kids but is very loyal and loves walks and a male dominant master.

That bolded part there I would almost guarantee has been the cause of all your problems and attempting to send him to another home like that will land him in a whooole load more trouble. Have you been alpha-rolling your dog and dominating him? Your son leaned over him to give him this affection I assume? A dog will never see a child as their superior because they are not. I have to point out here that no-one on this forum advised you of anything other than to have dog professionally assessed. Did you take him to an apdt certified behaviourist?

What ever decision you come to now is completely yours, but do not dare attempt to pass this dog on to someone else without having a full assessment done by a fully qualified behaviourist, and cut the dominant bs immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭binxeo

Folks,
    Apologies I am aware similar discussion here recently but I'm in a state of total shock feeling very bewildered.

Few months back I posted here about issues where my 3yr old male GSD was attacking me 13yr old son anytime my son came close to me.

He was also stripping his teeth at my partner (female) when she came close to me. From discussing the issue with a few dog experts and here on boards most people were recommending my son take over feeding etc in order for the dog learn to have respect for him we did that occasionally.

Anyway total disaster tonight we were lying up on the couches watching the match, my son moved over towards the dog on the big setee to get close and show the dog some affection next thing I a split second the dog went mental and was basically eating me sons face! Inguries look horrific lucky to still have his eye and Ambulance just took hi off along with his mother.

The dog is out in his kennel and I had given that dog the best life ever he went everywhere with me he is mad about me and me of him. But now I am totally bewildered I am still full of adrenaline but I feel I can't go on living with the dog in our home he is too much of a liability :(

I cold not bare to give the dog away as I know the dog is totally besotted with me and he would always be heartbroken for me.

Please advise me, heading off to the hospital now I will have boards on my phone, god I hate the thoughts of waking up tomorrow :(

Dude I appreciate you love your dog but he should have been re-homed as soon as this this behaviour began. I think you need to get the dog put down. In the end of the day is your child or your dog more important to you?

https://www.facebook.com/apdtireland

Their official website is down at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I'm sorry to be so blunt and point out the obvious, but what's more important - your child or your dog?? Recently my dog started snarling and stripping her teeth at my 18 month old - so to make sure my child was safe, I got rid of the dog. Simples.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, this is a terribly upsetting turn of events. I really hope your son is okay and recovers soon.

Here is the original thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75512605

I didn't see anyone advising you what measures to take here on boards: indeed, this turn of events was well flagged here. I fear that discussing your GSD's very worrying behaviour with "dog experts" was not enough.. at least, I'm taking it you did not seek professional (and I mean proper professional, qualified) behavioural advice, and have such a professional come to your home to assess the dog and come up with an appropriate behaviour modification program and management regime?
    Anyone who is properly qualified to assess dogs showing the levels of aggression your dog has up to tonight would/should never advise you to do anything, without seeing your dog and seeing what's going on in situ. By properly qualified, I mean 3rd level qualifications in behaviour, and preferably membership of a respected professional body whose Codes of Practice you agree with.
    However, I regret it's probably too late now. The dog IMO should certainly not be rehomed (I assume it's the adrenaline that made you advertise him in the rehoming thread?:(), but for your own sake and for completion, you might want to get a properly qualified behaviourist to assess him, and to have him thoroughly vet checked (bloods, skeletal... not just a prod) to make absolutely certain there isn't a medical problem causing the dog's over-attachment to you and general irritability around others.
    Good luck with this, and again, a speedy recovery to your son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Sorry to hear what happened I hope you son is ok. Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

I have a 3 yr old male GSD who cannot be trusted with kids but is very loyal and loves walks and a male dominant master.

That bolded part there I would almost guarantee has been the cause of all your problems and attempting to send him to another home like that will land him in a whooole load more trouble. Have you been alpha-rolling your dog and dominating him? Your son leaned over him to give him this affection I assume? A dog will never see a child as their superior because they are not. I have to point out here that no-one on this forum advised you of anything other than to have dog professionally assessed. Did you take him to an apdt certified behaviourist?

What ever decision you come to now is completely yours, but do not dare attempt to pass this dog on to someone else without having a full assessment done by a fully qualified behaviourist, and cut the dominant bs immediately.

I think I would have the dog outside in a fenced off area with a kennel and not in the house for a start. Is not the place for a German shepherd.
    Have had GS since I was a kid and never a problem.
    When u have them in the house, their roles get confused. They are not a poodle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Hope he is going to be alright.

https://www.facebook.com/apdtireland

Their official website is down at the minute.

Just to clarify, APDT Ireland is a registry of dog trainers, as opposed to behaviourists. That said, many members are properly qualified and experienced behaviourists too;).

APDT Ireland members who cover at least parts of Offaly include
    Alison Bush of www.happierhoundsdogtraining.com
    Emmaline Duffy-Fallon of www.citizencanineireland.com
    It would be preferable to get one of these ladies in as they can travel to you to assess the situation in your home.
    However, I'm not sure if you're in an area covered by either of these ladies. It is not ideal to have your dog assessed outside of the home, but needs must. If you're prepared to travel to Dublin, Dog Training Ireland should be able to help: www.dogtrainingireland.ie
    In all cases, I would be most surprised if they don't first tell you to get the dog fully vet checked (bloods, skeletal etc).

EURATS wrote: »
    I think I would have the dog outside in a fenced off area with a kennel and not in the house for a start. Is not the place for a German shepherd.
    When u have them in the house, their roles get confused. They are not a poodle!!

I had one in the house for 10 years, found it beaten and covered in cigarette burns in the back of a shed it took 3 weeks to get him to come out of the shed. Once he did I never had a problem either and I was 9 years old when I got that dog.

Your partner and son could be returning home tomorrow. The dog needs to go asap from the home.
    If my GSD ever shows any agression to my kids or wife, she will be removed.
    Once a dog has taken this action, they cannot be trusted ever with kids or adults. Sorry to say it but I seriously think he will have to be put down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Hi ya I hope your young lads ok. There really is no two about this the dog will have to be put down.yiu can't risk givi g it away and how safe would you, your son and your wife feel havi g the dog near them. You may have even been lucky this time.its heart breaking but we all know deep down that it's time to say good night. Just thank god that it's not your son your kissi g goodbye. Hope you all recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

If this was my dog and son I would have killed the dog right after the attack.
    I would not be posting here worried about a dog that bit my son in the face and just gone to hospital.
    I would be at the hospital.
    Try get the dog rehomed.
    I think you let the dog believe it was more important to you than your son.

Hmmm. I've had GSDs and GSD Xs all my life too. All of them lived inside. And never a problem. There's a large black GSD sitting at my feet right now, fulfilling her role quite beautifully, as she also does when she's not sitting at my feet.
    Just trying to figure out what point you're making with your sweeping generalisation :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

Folks,

Have the dog killed. It sounds like its not right in the head snymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Your dog mauled your childs face and you stopped to post on boards before getting to the hospital? Who does that? christ :(

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

DBB wrote: »

Hmmm. I've had GSDs and GSD Xs all my life too. All of them lived inside. And never a problem. There's a large black GSD sitting at my feet right now, fulfilling her role quite beautifully, as she also does when she's not sitting at my feet.
    Just trying to figure out what point you're making with your sweeping generalisation :rolleyes:

That's all well and good for you if that's what ur into. I don't think they belong inside. They can be at my feet outside. Simple as. Wouldn't be one to be that intimate or close to a dog.

Same to adrenalinjunkie and their rescue dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Please advise me

I can't really advise you, I can only wish you and your son well and tell you what I would do.

The dog is obviously troubled and not entirely happy or relaxed.

I'd have a problem with rehoming it for fear of him doing more damage.

If I were in your shoes, Id give the dog a noble end with a massive relaxing injection and a good ear scratch and hug before the final one. Talk to your vet, I have been through it twice and they do differ.

It's sad, but sometimes it's better for everyone, two legs and four. After time you will probably reflect and wonder why you even considered letting the dog live when you and the dog was uncomfortable in your own home.

Best of luck. Not very envious of your position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I'm sorry, this is such a difficult situation for you to be in after all the dog probably thought he was just being protective of his master. I hope your son is okay. Dont make any rash decision at the moment but do remove the dog from any risk to your family and give you some space to think about what course of action to take.

That's all well and good for you if that's what ur into. I don't think they belong inside. They can be at my feet outside. Simple as. Wouldn't be one to be that intimate or close to a dog.

And that's all well and good for you if that's what you're into. I personally don't agree with keeping a dog outside, and I think closeness is part of what makes the relationship between dogs and humans as special and unique as it is.
    So, we may agree to disagree, but let's not use sweeping statements about a breed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I don't think they belong inside

Another topic altogether. Pack animals, first to be domesticated, historically always kept in with the family. Modern times and modern convenience and overhyper cleanliness have made us keep them outside. They are better off interacting and living with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

The animal has to be destroyed.It will do it again and maybe someone unrelated and you will really be in trouble.It is not an easy thing to do under normal circumstances ie sick dog but it has to be done.Hope all are well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

OMG that is terrible OP, I hope your son will recover fully.

My only experience along those lines is with a pal: his dog at about 4 years old bit a family member; the dog was assessed (but not trained, alas) and neutered; a year later the dog sunk his fangs into another family member. Probable cause, TBH: no training or socilisation of the animal. I'd be blaming the owner but the dog paid the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Your dog mauled your childs face and you stopped to post on boards before getting to the hospital? Who does that? christ :(

I had a different reply written out that was harsh on the OP but then I deleted it because, to be fair to the OP. I am sure he is just in shock.

Look OP - You know what to do - Get rid of the dog. - I don't care how or to where - He's just gotta go. You have to look after your family now.

I sincerely hope your boy is ok. All the best to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Twinkleboots

I hope your son is ok OP. I would defiantly get the dog put down, you have to put your feelings towards him aside and think logically now...you should not re home him!! Imagine your guilt if he attacked someone else even worse than your son? It's not fair someone else to pass him on and it's certainly not fair to the dog. A terrible situation to be in but as I said make decisions rationally right now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement