Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My son just gone to A&E our GSD attacked :( **UPDATE POST #57**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

DBB wrote: »
    And that's all well and good for you if that's what you're into. I personally don't agree with keeping a dog outside, and I think closeness is part of what makes the relationship between dogs and humans as special and unique as it is.
    So, we may agree to disagree, but let's not use sweeping statements about a breed.
    I'd have to agree with you. Inside or outside - It has nothing to do with this. There are far more complex issues of animal behaviour at play here than a simple matter of a dog being kept indoors.

We have two dogs that are kept outside. I was only allowed get them in the first place if I promised that they wouldn't be inside. We have small babies who are crawling around the floor and eating everything off it and my wife doesn't want them sharing that space with the dogs. Which is fair enough. I have to admit though, I often let them in for a few hours at night when she's in bed or for the day if I work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

We had gs which I did not agree to as I while I am not overly fond of dogs I certainly don't want I dog I can't physically beat ( not beat but I'd things get nasty I can get better of) anyway the gs eventually ripped into my wifes arm and despite arguments etc the dig was put down - you cannot keep this dog your son comes first

We did eventually get a staff ( I didn't want it ) but to be honest he has grown on me and again while a big / strong dog I can still take control if something goes wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

John_Rambo wrote: »
    EURATS wrote: »
    I don't think they belong inside

Another topic altogether. Pack animals, first to be domesticated, historically always kept in with the family. Modern times and modern convenience and overhyper cleanliness have made us keep them outside. They are better off interacting and living with us.

Enough of the hippy stuff. No offence but they are guard dogs and working dogs and that's what they are bred for. Everyone to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

That's all well and good for you if that's what ur into. I don't think they belong inside. They can be at my feet outside. Simple as. Wouldn't be one to be that intimate or close to a dog.

And that's all well and good for you if that's what you're into. I personally don't agree with keeping a dog outside, and I think closeness is part of what makes the relationship between dogs and humans as special and unique as it is.
    So, we may agree to disagree, but let's not use sweeping statements about a breed.

Ur going to tell me now ur partner sleeps in the shed and ur dog sleeps in bed with u

Have no problem having the dog in for a few minutes as a treat. But that be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I think the dog needs to be put to sleep, OP...

having read your previous thread, I don't think the situation was helped much by your kids provoking it..

Did you get the dog assessed as you were advised to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I hope your son is doing ok.

As regards your dog, why not put him in boarding kennels for a week or so, give your family and yourself a little breathing room while you all get over the initial shock of what happened. Don't make any decision in a hurry.

I totally agree with the others that you should get in a good qualified behaviourist. Behaviourists are very different from dog trainers so make sure whoever you get in is suitable. A behaviourist will be able to see and diagnose tiny signals that will tell massive amounts, and be able to give you a training modification plan. You shouldn't even consider rehoming him without having gotten an assessment from a behaviourist, it would be simply giving the problem to another family which isn't fair on anyone.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Hope your little boy isn't badly injured. This is a very dangerous dog and I don't know how you can keep it in your family. It would also be a danger to another family if it was re-homed. I know what I would have to do - I wouldn't risk having it in any family situation. I love german shepherds myself as I had a female for ten years from a puppy. She was a great watch dog, very intelligent, and endured lots of prodding and poking from the children as they came along. I had worried that she might be jealous of the babies and we were careful as we had her before the children but she watched over them and never snapped or got impatient. When she got fed up with a toddler crawling on top of her she would just move and go to her bed - and we made sure they left her in peace there. She lived in the house all the time. From the age of six months we took her to weekly training classes which educated us more than her I think so we learned how to handle her. If she had shown any aggression with the kids she would have been immediately removed and certainly not rehomed if she was a risk to a new owner. She was a complete softie but also was a great guard dog for the house as she would bark when strangers knocked on the door. I think german shepherds are such a wonderfully loyal and intelligent breed of dog and sorry to hear you seem to have a vicious/maladjusted one which has attacked your little boy. Hope he recovers well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Folks thanks for input. Son is home thankfully his injuries not as extreme as had looked but he will have nice big scar for life above his eye. Too tired now to discuss further will tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ur going to tell me now ur partner sleeps in the shed and ur dog sleeps in bed with u

Have no problem having the dog in for a few minutes as a treat. But that be it.

I've enough love for them all! Not that it's any of your business, and your comment is out of line, but it possible to have a great relationship with a partner AND keep dogs in the house at the same time. Seems to work just fine here anyway, and I hardly think I'm alone.
    And no, no dogs allowed in my bed. My OH isn't allowed in the shed either.
    Oh hang on.. I don't have a shed. Or a doghouse :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Man I am so so sorry about your son and both he and his parents have my prayers.

I lost my son (not to a dog attack) a few years ago and nothing can ever fill the hole in my soul. Spending seven days in hospital watching him struggle for life has left me with an abiding hatred of any suffering a child has to go through. It has to be the greatest evil on earth. I hope your son makes a full recovery, both physically and psychologically.

The pain you must be going through must be crippling and I don't believe you are serious about re-homing the dog. Could you possibly live with the worry that there might be a repeat attack in another family? Could you ever get over the possibility of the pain and terror your child suffered being inflicted on someone else's child?

I think you know what needs to be done and that decision can only be yours.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but I can't see any other solution.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

mathepac wrote: »

I lost my son (not to a dog attack) a few years ago and nothing can ever fill the hole in my soul. Spending seven days in hospital watching him struggle for life has left me with an abiding hatred of any suffering a child has to go through. It has to be the greatest evil on earth. I hope your son makes a full recovery, both physically and psychologically.

:(
    Mathepac, what a brave post. I can't even start to imagine the pain of what happened to you and your family, the thought of such an awful thing happening fills me with tears.
    My thoughts are with you.. your post puts things in perspective.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

In total agreement with what TooManyDogs posted above. I'd highly recommend following his advice.

Sorry op but i feel i should bring this up.
    To the posters advocating that the dog should be put down, the original post some 7 months ago is worth reflecting on. DBB offered very good advice to the op at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

This dog would be fine to be rehomed with the right person not family.
    It just wasn't though where it stands in the family and though it was top boss.

Dogs most times warn before attack.Someone should have seen this before with this dog.
    They can not talk so use their mouth to growl/bark or bite to send a message.
    The body language eyes/tail ect..........with the problems the dog had someone should have told the child what to look for and then say to the dog STOP and put the dog out of the room.

That bolded part there I would almost guarantee has been the cause of all your problems and attempting to send him to another home like that will land him in a whooole load more trouble. Have you been alpha-rolling your dog and dominating him? Your son leaned over him to give him this affection I assume? A dog will never see a child as their superior because they are not. I have to point out here that no-one on this forum advised you of anything other than to have dog professionally assessed. Did you take him to an apdt certified behaviourist?

What ever decision you come to now is completely yours, but do not dare attempt to pass this dog on to someone else without having a full assessment done by a fully qualified behaviourist, and cut the dominant bs immediately.
    The bold part.
    I don't think this is true at all.
    I took in a dog from a pound that was going to be pts and after it settled in(1 to 2 months) it was on the sofa when my 12yo son went to pet it and it growled.
    I gave it a lite slap and put it on the floor and told my son to sit where the dog was.
    The dog was not let on the sofa for the rest of that day and never did it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

The dog must die.

TBH I would have probably killed the dog myself if it so savagely attacked someone I love leaving them scared for life

To me the dog sounds to be more protective than aggressive.
    If this was a yappy little dog it would be seen as ahh it is just protective and someone gets bite on the finger but this is the same thing but with a bigger dog.
    The dog did not know that biting the child in the face would do that much damage and was just telling the child off.

The dog is not at fault at all and needs to have a good owner.

Dodd wrote: »
    To me the dog sounds to be more protective than aggressive.
    If this was a yappy little dog it would be seen as ahh it is just protective and someone gets bite on the finger but this is the same thing but with a bigger dog.
    The dog did not know that biting the child in the face would do that much damage and was just telling the child off.

The dog is not at fault at all and needs to have a good owner.
    So nots implying I am a bad owner? No way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

No offence but they are guard dogs and working dogs and that's what they are bred for.

Oh right. I thought German Shepards were bred in Germany to work the field with livestock as a Shepard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

OP, this is a terribly upsetting turn of events. I really hope your son is okay and recovers soon.

Here is the original thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75512605

I'm sorry for your son, it's shocking for him and I'm glad his injuries weren't as bad as they could have been. I hope he recovers without a lasting fear of dogs.
    Reading the other thread though, this was coming like a train down the track 6 months ago. I don't understand why you've advertised the dog looking for a home with a dominant male... surely if he can be rehomed it should be to a very different set-up, and that needs to be advised by an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

OP,

You need to report the incident to the guards and also to your vet, who will advise you on the best course of action. It will mean the dog may be destroyed.

I really hope your son is ok, and in time will be okay around dogs. I hope your partner forgives you, and if you were any sort of a man you will have this sorted before your son and partner come home.

In all honesty you're to blame. For the damage to your sons face and also for what has to happen to the dog.

• Advertisement

planetX wrote: »
    OP, this is a terribly upsetting turn of events. I really hope your son is okay and recovers soon.

Here is the original thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75512605

I'm sorry for your son, it's shocking for him and I'm glad his injuries weren't as bad as they could have been. I hope he recovers without a lasting fear of dogs.
    Reading the other thread though, this was coming like a train down the track 6 months ago. I don't understand why you've advertised the dog looking for a home with a dominant male... surely if he can be rehomed it should be to a very different set-up, and that needs to be advised by an expert.
    I deleted my post widge I looked for someone to lace the dog on I made that post very hastily was not my normal head last night.

So depressed now awake all night

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Any more comments like "The dog must die" or "Id have killed the dog myself" and I`ll be issuing bans.

There has been plenty of good advice given in this thread regarding assessment etc and/or if the dog has to be PTS then a Vet needs to be consulted but this crap of killing it yourself isnt allowed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I deleted my post widge I looked for someone to lace the dog on I made that post very hastily was not my normal head last night.

So depressed now awake all night

ok, sorry - not trying to get at you. It's a horrible horrible situation to be in. I hope someone has been able to give you the number someone who can advise on rehoming. It doesn't sound like a hopeless situation, the dog gave plenty of warning. Someone experienced with GSDs might take him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dmg10

OP, sorry to hear about this and hope your son will be ok.

I've only read your post on this thread but it almost sounds like the dog hasn't been put in its place in the hierarchy. Again, I'm only going by the situation outlined in your post - Being up on the sofa gives it the same status as your son, therefore when the son moved in, the dog who already thinks he's higher in the pecking order than your son protected his space. This kind of dog with serious dominant issues needs to live on the floor and the floor alone, never getting a chance to think it's better than your son. Your son moved in to give it affection when no affection was deserved, the dog had done nothing to earn it, again, relenting his position to the dog. Dogs need to earn affection for good things done. In many dogs, allowing them up on the sofa isn't an issue at all, but in dogs with dominant traits, it can cause a serious issue. Whether this kind of behaviour can be reversed at this stage I don't know. Better to contact a professional. If you do decide to give the dog another go, then perhaps a muzzle at home and some serious training to re-establish his position. But to be honest, whether the dog can ever be trusted again in your family is the big question, at the moment without anything changing, not a hope, the dog cannot be trusted right now. I'm not sure you will ever look at the dog in the same way again anyway.

Best of luck with your next step, sometimes the toughest decision is the best one. Where are you located?

So nots implying I am a bad owner? No way!

I don't think any of us can say we are the perfect dog owner.
    I lost my dog for about a minute last night.
    I let it out the back and it ran around the side to the road.:(
    It could have been killed by a car.

Your dog got in a position where it thought it could discipline other family members.

I hope your son and family get trough this ok.

dmg10 wrote: »
    OP, sorry to hear about this and hope your son will be ok.

I've only read your post on this thread but it almost sounds like the dog hasn't been put in its place in the hierarchy. Again, I'm only going by the situation outlined in your post - Being up on the sofa gives it the same status as your son, therefore when the son moved in, the dog who already thinks he's higher in the pecking order than your son protected his space. This kind of dog with serious dominant issues needs to live on the floor and the floor alone, never getting a chance to think it's better than your son. Your son moved in to give it affection when no affection was deserved, the dog had done nothing to earn it, again, relenting his position to the dog. Dogs need to earn affection for good things done. In many dogs, allowing them up on the sofa isn't an issue at all, but in dogs with dominant traits, it can cause a serious issue. Whether this kind of
    behaviour can be reversed at this stage I don't know. Better to contact a professional. If you do decide to give the dog another go, then perhaps a muzzle at home and some serious training to re-establish his position. But to be honest, whether the dog can ever be trusted again in your family is the big question, at the moment without anything changing, not a hope, the dog cannot be trusted right now. I'm not sure you will ever look at the dog in the same way again anyway.

Best of luck with your next step, sometimes the toughest decision is the best one. Where are you located?

I am located in Offaly. The vet is booked to take him away in one hour not sure how I will cope this dog is my shadow he is besotted with me and me of him :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I am located in Offaly. The vet is booked to take him away in one hour not sure how I will cope this dog is my shadow he is besotted with me and me of him :(

Awful situation, hope your son is okay and heart goes out to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Thinking of you, it's a horrible situation to be in. Whatever decision you go for its not easy. Hopefully you and your son get through this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

This is very sad.

Did you ever get any help with him, or were they just not able to help him? I noticed your old thread looking for help with this issue was about 7 months ago so I assume no body was able to help the dog?

• Advertisement

ppink wrote: »

This is very sad.

Did you ever get any help with him, or were they just not able to help him? I noticed your old thread looking for help with this issue was about 7 months ago so I assume no body was able to help the dog?
    I just took advice from emails and phone conversations.

Thanks everyone who gave advice here its too painfull for me to look at this thread anymore im numb and too sad over the loss and the whole issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement