Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My son just gone to A&E our GSD attacked :( **UPDATE POST #57**

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

ppink wrote: »
    EURATS wrote: »
    Although if trained for that role....maybe. Sooner get a collie!!!

this is going completly off the topic but German sheps are smart enough and willing enough to be trained for just about anything- as can be seen for their wide range of uses around the world.

Did I dispute that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

this is going completly off the topic but German sheps are smart enough and willing enough to be trained for just about anything- as can be seen for their wide range of uses around the world.

Did I dispute that?

What is your point?

Did I dispute that?

What is your point?[/

My point is that I don't agree with a GS as an indoor dog. Am entitled to that opinion. Some can't cope with that. I also don't think a GS is the most suitable dog for herding sheep. Again I'm entitled to my opinion on that as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Did I dispute that?

What is your point?[/

My point is that I don't agree with a GS as an indoor dog. Am entitled to that opinion. Some can't cope with that. I also don't think a GS is the most suitable dog for herding sheep. Again I'm entitled to my opinion on that as well.

Absolutely you are entitled to your opinion on indoor versus outdoor dogs, I disagree and my GSD is an indoor dog. To each their own in that regard :)

However I believe facts and breed history make you incorrect in your second opinion, to which of course you are entitled. Gsd were originally herding dogs, very capable ones. They were also amongst the first guide dogs. They are extremely biddable, trainable to almost any canine function.

Edited to add, this is a whole other thread and sorry for taking it off track :)

Did I dispute that?

What is your point?[/

Absolutely you are entitled to your opinion on indoor versus outdoor dogs, I disagree and my GSD is an indoor dog. To each their own in that regard :)

However I believe facts and breed history make you incorrect in your second opinion, to which of course you are entitled. Gsd were originally herding dogs, very capable ones. They were also amongst the first guide dogs. They are extremely biddable, trainable to almost any canine function.

Edited to add, this is a whole other thread and sorry for taking it off track :)

It is off thread. That is true.

I never disputed their talents. I just said there were better(more suitable) dogs for the role. How many farmers in Ireland use GS for herding?

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear about what happened

the dominance thing is a load of sh!te and I'm glad to see people correcting it on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

good, you agree it's off topic - then stay on topic or don't bother posting. This thread isn't about whether a dog should be indoors or whether it can play a banjo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I also don't think a GS is the most suitable dog for herding sheep. Again I'm entitled to my opinion on that as well.
    Pity the Germans don't share it. While an opinion is fine and dandy and informed opinion is infinitely more valuable. Ditto wth the suitability of any breed in the home or around kids or training methods.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

star-pants wrote: »

good, you agree it's off topic - then stay on topic or don't bother posting. This thread isn't about whether a dog should be indoors or whether it can play a banjo.

I hope ur as smart..and sharp with the other off topic posters. Wibbs included. Ur actually off topic urself!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Well done folks.

A man is asking for advice after his dog attacked his son but you see fit to have a school yard row like two 10 year olds.

Get over yourselves.
    I have refrained from posting in this thread thus far because it is not an area of expertise for me, I would however wish to extend my sympathies to the OP as I can't begin to imagine how this is affecting his life.
    I also wish his son a speedy recovery.

Everyone please grow up and get a little perspective

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I hope ur as smart..and sharp with the other off topic posters. Wibbs included. Ur actually off topic urself!!!

Good-bye, see you in 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I've had a gsd, she was a part of the family before I was born (she was 1) and was the most loving and caring pet ever, I used to lay on the floor cuddled up with her watching cartoons from as young as I can remember, she never snarled bit or got aggressive in any way. I was lost when she passed away, she was 14 and I never cried so much before that.

I've had the gsd, three terriers, border collie, Doberman/rottie mix, several small animals and 6 horses.

At the moment I've a Japanese Spitz pup, a JRT, African grey and two horses,

Between all of the animals we've had, one was vicious, but he was abused/beaten/starved and we took him in, he was very dominant over food, but got more trusting with us over time.

The problem I'm seeing time after time is people have no respect for animals, if you want any animal to take your commands there's got to be some level of kindness towards them.

I've never raised a hand at any of my pets and my horses have never even seen a whip, fear/dominance will never train any animal, I think it teaches them aggression through fear.

Op I recommend you have your dog assessed by a trained professional, consult with your family what they want also, it's a tough decision to make if it comes to putting him down, but if he's deemed as unsafe, I think it's the only option.

Also I recommend if you do get any more pets, affection is the way forward, trying to force him into submission will only bring out his aggression towards any person or animal that he sees below him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

bfocusd wrote: »
    Op I recommend you have your dog assessed by a trained professional, consult with your family what they want also, it's a tough decision to make if it comes to putting him down, but if he's deemed as unsafe, I think it's the only option.

The OP already had the dog put down. I'm not sure how many more times it has to be mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭DeeRottie

I'm not going to read all the silly arguments here, I'd just like to express my condolences to the OP and hope his son is ok. I love my dogs with all my heart and soul and I don't have any kids - that said if one of my dogs attacked my child I would never trust it around children again. And it may be very stressful for your child to have to return to a home where a dog that did such damage still resided - mental scars run deep too.

This seems to be the escalation of the dog's previous behaviour and I'm so sorry this happened, really hope your son is ok x

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Jesus Op...I've just found this thread. I was racing through it to find out what happened:(. My heart goes out to you, I can well imagine the trauma of the situation you were in. Thank God your wee lad was ok but I totally understand your reluctance to put your dog down. I help out at a local dog shelter and one of the GSDs there has shown aggression towards humans a few times...and is very intolerant to most other dogs. However he's so beautiful and I've personally only found him to be a joy to hug and pet however, I'd be petrified to let my son near him. I think a dog like him will need careful management not children running around him. There's a problem finding a place for him..I know how much a dog can come to mean to you especially one how is so loving and attached to you. My thoughts are with you:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Ann22 wrote: »
    Jesus Op...I've just found this thread. I was racing through it to find out what happened:(. My heart goes out to you, I can well imagine the trauma of the situation you were in. Thank God your wee lad was ok but I totally understand your reluctance to put your dog down. I help out at a local dog shelter and one of the GSDs there has shown aggression towards humans a few times...and is very intolerant to most other dogs. However he's so beautiful and I've personally only found him to be a joy to hug and pet however, I'd be petrified to let my son near him. I think a dog like him will need careful management not children running around him. There's a problem finding a place for him..I know how much a dog can come to mean to you especially one how is so loving and attached to you. My thoughts are with you:(

Thanks just to be clear I left the dog at the vets empty surgery room yesterday at midday and I will never ever forget turning my back on him, he ran to follow me, I gave him the hand gesture to wait and he obeyed looking up to me, I then closed the vets door and went to the vets reception to pay. I texted the vet today he said I did the right thing and the dog didn't have any distress and passed peacefully. I keep thinking the dog is in the back of my jeep, running behind me, in the garden, running in the local meadow with me hunting rabbits, oh dear god I don't know how I can cope I'm totally messed up.

Just to clarify the dog never ever showed aggression to anyone just the few close shaves to the eldest of my two sons. I have to put on a happy vibe to my sons as they would be devastated too if they knew he is not alive anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

What a horrible thing to happen and what a difficult decision you had to make. I hope your son is OK and doesn't end up with a fear of dogs because of this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Thanks just to be clear I left the dog at the vets empty surgery room yesterday at midday and I will never ever forget turning my back on him, he ran to follow me, I gave him the hand gesture to wait and he obeyed looking up to me, I then closed the vets door and went to the vets reception to pay. I texted the vet today he said I did the right thing and the dog didn't have any distress and passed peacefully. I keep thinking the dog is in the back of my jeep, running behind me, in the garden, running in the local meadow with me hunting rabbits, oh dear god I don't know how I can cope I'm totally messed up.

Just to clarify the dog never ever showed aggression to anyone just the few close shaves to the eldest of my two sons. I have to put on a happy vibe to my sons as they would be devastated too if they knew he is not alive anymore.

While I think you were correct in your actions OP, I'd have stayed with the dog and been there with them until the end.

I'd one dog who was seriously aggressive to other dogs, and on my vets recommendation was put to sleep at two years of age.

The day she was put to sleep, I took her out for some "me" time, then into the vets, and she got a sedative in the car having a cuddle, then into the vets for that final injection, and I cuddled her until she went away.

It meant she never tried to run after me, knew I was there until she wasn't there anymore, and never knew life good or bad without me when she was in my life.

I'm not judging you having been in a similiar situation, but those few minutes of comfort for your dog and for you made a huge difference for me, I felt comforted by the fact I was there.

Anyway best of luck

Feck sake op...your heart must be broken:(. I don't know what to say to comfort you. If you hadn't gone through with it you'd have to keep him outside and he'd be miserable without you...and if you'd given him up he'd still be miserable:(. It's an awful situation to be in. I can imagine how much he meant to you. A dog can mean as much as a family member:(...unless you have one yourself you can't fully empathise. I really hope you can come to terms with what's happened. God bless x

I absolutely never would have had the courage to stay.

I would not cope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Awwww... Op! :-( hugs and sympathies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

OP I just wanted to show a little support to you and your family during this difficult time. Your poor boy getting attacked and then having to put your faithful companion to sleep, what a horrible sequence of events to have to go through in such a short period of time. :(

Tomorrow morning I am paying tribute to him by posting some images on the departed pets thread, I won't forget ever him ever he was my reason to get up every day for the past three wonderfull years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Awful situation for u OP.
    Can only imagine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I would not cope.

Ah ok, sorry if I sounded harsh, that was my way of coping with the awfulness of ending a young life through no fault of the animal.

It was very very tough to do it, but I was glad I did, and if you couldn't have coped with it, better that you not be there.

Glad your son is on the mend.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭leedslad

I left the dog at the vets empty surgery room yesterday

Nice that ye were able to go to the surgery with the dog

Tomorrow morning I am paying tribute to him by posting some images on the departed pets thread, I won't forget ever him ever he was my reason to get up every day for the past three wonderfull years.
    I don't think I could bear to look at that thread op....i'd be bawling my eyes out:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

<Banned>

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ILOVEBLATHNAID

<Banned>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Due to the fact that this thread seems to have now become an idiot magnet, I'm locking it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement