Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat allergy?

• 14-06-2012 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭

I haven't that much experience of cats because my mum is allergic to them, so obviously never had one. Never met one that I liked either, so always avoided them. However my bf got a cat (it's at his parent's house, but I visit quite often) that is the most adorable cute thing ever, so I was playing with it. About an hour later my eyes were all swollen and my asthma was acting up, so I think I'm allergic too? I'm heartbroken because this is the friendliest cat I've had experience of, is there anything I can do to reduce the symptoms or am I destined to watch him play with it from a distance then have a shower? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

hi, my friend has a cat allergy but she has 2 cats that she adores! apparently the allergy symptoms will decrease with exposure so dont give up hope! maybe some antihistamines for a while and exposure will sort the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

I haven't that much experience of cats because my mum is allergic to them, so obviously never had one. Never met one that I liked either, so always avoided them. However my bf got a cat (it's at his parent's house, but I visit quite often) that is the most adorable cute thing ever, so I was playing with it. About an hour later my eyes were all swollen and my asthma was acting up, so I think I'm allergic too? I'm heartbroken because this is the friendliest cat I've had experience of, is there anything I can do to reduce the symptoms or am I destined to watch him play with it from a distance then have a shower? :(

I have a mild alergy to cats and had the same reaction to my girlfriends cat about eighteen months ago. She now lives with me as does the cat. I find my alergic reaction has lessened and i have learnt a few small things that i can do to avoid cat hair and a bad reaction:

- Wash hands after rubbing cat (don't touch your face)
    - Don't let the cat climb on you or sit in your lap
    - The cat needs to be brushed by it's owner a copuple of times a week. This will keep the dander down, if that's the right word.

If you live with a cat, do all of the above, and:
    - Hoover carpets and sofas three times a week
    - No cat in the bedroom (ddor stays closed, so it's a cat free room)
    - Arrange with your partner that they empty the litter tray, and not you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement