Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have any GOOD books to recommend please?

Options
  • 14-06-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

So basically, I'm sick of going to the library and picking out books only for them to be a total disappointment. To give you an idea of the kind of books I find amazing, here are a few that had me engrossed until the very end:
    ♦ The Godfather (Reallly amazing)
    ♦ The Time Traveler's Wife
    ♦ A Thousand Splendid Suns (Same author as The Kite Runner)
    ♦ The Green Mile
    ♦ Any Malorie Blackman book
    ♦ The Green Mile
    ♦ The Da Vinci Code

To give you an idea of what I might like, I'm a sixteen year old girl and I don't like any of the twilight, vampire kind of stuff or any of those dark teenage series books. I found the Godfather really fantastic, so I suppose I like the classics. I just want to go to the library and get a good book I'll like and remember, not one I'll get bored of after two chapters.

Any recommendations? Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I think you would like Skippy Dies by Paul Murray. Its a book set in Dublin during the Celtic tiger predominantly about teenagers. Its a very powerful book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

So basically, I'm sick of going to the library and picking out books only for them to be a total disappointment. To give you an idea of the kind of books I find amazing, here are a few that had me engrossed until the very end:
    ♦ The Godfather (Reallly amazing)
    ♦ The Time Traveler's Wife
    ♦ A Thousand Splendid Suns (Same author as The Kite Runner)
    ♦ The Green Mile
    ♦ Any Malorie Blackman book
    ♦ The Green Mile
    ♦ The Da Vinci Code

To give you an idea of what I might like, I'm a sixteen year old girl and I don't like any of the twilight, vampire kind of stuff or any of those dark teenage series books. I found the Godfather really fantastic, so I suppose I like the classics. I just want to go to the library and get a good book I'll like and remember, not one I'll get bored of after two chapters.

Any recommendations? Thank you :)

If you liked The Godfather you should have a look at The Last Don. I really enjoyed it first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Since you liked The Godfather I'd recommend John Grisham's novels. Since you liked The Green Mile try some of Stephen King's other novels.

Some of my favourite books are:
    P.S. I Love You - Cecelia Ahern
    Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
    The Horse Whisperer - Nicholas Evans
    The Beach - Alex Garland
    Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
    Water For Elephants - Sara Gruen
    The Ice Cream Girls - Dorothy Koomson
    To Kill a Mocking Bird - Harper Lee
    Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell
    The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd
    My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult
    Salem Falls - Jodi Picoult
    The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
    A Tree Grows In Brooklyn - Betty Smith
    A Walk to Remember - Nicholas Sparks
    Dear John - Nicholas Sparks
    The Notebook - Nicholas Sparks
    The Help - Kathryn Stockett
    East of Eden - John Steinbeck
    The Joy Luck Club - Amy Tan
    Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut
    The Color Purple - Alice Walker
    In Her Shoes - Jennifer Weiner
    The Devil Wears Prada - Lauren Weisberger
    The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
    White Oleander - Janet Fitch
    The Weight of Silence - Heather Gudenkauf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, it's about the Biafran war. I think you'd like it if you liked A Thousand Splendid Suns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 robbie7171

Try "The Life of Pi" by Yann Martel, I've just finished it and its a terrific read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

robbie7171 wrote: »
    Try "The Life of Pi" by Yann Martel, I've just finished it and its a terrific read

Also enjoyed this book and would recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Have you tried the Bible? It is *the* Good Book...

No, id like to recommend Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, and a couple of his other books if you like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

The making of the atomic bomb by Richard Rhodes.

Excellent book!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

+1 for Life of Pi.

The Cider House Rules and The World According to Garp, both by John Irving.
    I know this much is True, by Wally Lamb.
    The Road, by Cormac McCarthy.
    The Catcher in the Rye, by J. D. Salinger.

If you want to read something less heavy, I highly recommend David Sedarais, either Me talk Pretty One Day or Dress your Family in Corduroy and Denim. Both books have had me crying laughing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭Hope O_o

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern is a great read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

The Godfather (Reallly amazing)

The Sicilian by Puzo is also worth reading

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'll go a slightly different route here:

Foucault's Pendulum (the original DaVinci Code; DaVinci is the simplified Americanized version basically) and The Name Of The Rose both by Eco Umberto.

Neither are the easiest read but I think you may like them if you give them time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Try "In Cold Blood", by Truman Capote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Just finished Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian this morning. It's an apocalyptic western about scalpers and the lack of humanity during that era of American history. The language is startling, almost poetic (albeit dripping with gore) and it contains one of the most memorable "villains" I've read in literature; Judge Holden. I've heard this may be filmed, not sure how they will manage that but it's certainly a book that stays with you. Not the easiest of reads, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

old hippy wrote: »
    it contains one of the most memorable "villains" I've read in literature; Judge Holden.

Agreed..........................but IMO In the Rogue Blood is a better read overall.An added bonus is that the whole story revolves around a true event.

Viva san patricio´s :D
    The only book bloodier than Blood Meridian. Early on I thought Blake was actually trying to outdo McCarthy in the body count, and maybe he was. But Blake is very much his own writer, and there's plenty of the "Old, Weird (and super violent) America" to go around. I read this a few years back, and it's set up is a bit like The Searchers, with two brothers going in search of a sister. But this isn't Hollywood. The Mexican War intrudes. A coming of age story for both, with an absolutely lethal landscape as a backdrop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

I like Audrey Niffeneger (sp), she wrote another one, Her fearful symmetry, quite different to time traveller's wife but worth reading. Carlos Ruiz Zafon's 'Shadow of the wind', Marina Lewycka's 'Short history of tractors in ukrainian', 'two caravans', 'we are all made of glue' are all fantastic. Kate Mosse's Languedoc series. John Boyne's 'Thief of Time'.

Marian Keyes is often underrated too.

Kate Furnivall's ' The Russian Concubine'

Neil Gaiman's 'Neverwhere'..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Life of PI - fantastic, since you like Stephen king , try It , it's an amazing read so deep and the character development is the best I've ever read,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

This recommendation is not just for that OP, but everyone else as well.

The Brief Wondrous Life Of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz.

"All we talk about is Oscar".........................

"In the End, nothing ever ends"

Though that last quote is actually from Alan Moore's legendary Watchmen and used by Diaz to great effect in this Oscar Wao.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Either Stalingrad or Berlin by Antony Beevor. Or Both!
    I would recommend both books wholeheartedly, but his book on D-Day wasn't his best work.

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Try "In Cold Blood", by Truman Capote.

Or his beautiful novella "Breakfast At Tiffany's".

Seductive, witty and lucid. who wouldn't love Holly Golighty?

• Advertisement

jcf wrote: »
    Life of PI - fantastic, since you like Stephen king , try It , it's an amazing read so deep and the character development is the best I've ever read,,,

Here's an actual still from Ang Lee's upcoming Life Of Pi movie.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-84zc6EzuXV4/T5fbNRw9zOI/AAAAAAAAABA/WWAyEpvf4Rc/s400/life-of-pi-film.jpg

It's funny though, the point of the novel being related to us by the unreliable Pi is if the story is true or not, fantasy or reality or something else altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BelacquaBo

Read Proust's In Search of Lost Time (or Remembrance of Things Past - depends on translator) It is a massive collection of books - first four volumes is over a 1500 pages but I've never read anything more beautiful in my life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SpaceRocket

Because you like The Time Traveler's Wife (absorbing book!), I would recommend

Rebecca
    by Daphne Du Maurier
    Atonement by Ian Mc Ewan
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
    Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
    We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates
    Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson

These are just a quick sample of books I loved and really enjoyed getting lost in ..... thankfully there are loads more, I could go on and on. :)
    Whatever you choose, I wish you happy reading

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭BlueValkyrie

Another vote for The Life of Pi, and for Rebecca.

Also:

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
    Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro
    The Virgin Suicides - Jeffrey Eugenides

Each of the above has to some extent a 'coming of age' theme, which I think would have really appealled to me at 16. I read (and was completely absorbed by) all of these in my 20's or early 30's though - I'm not picking 'teen fiction' or trying to pigeonhole you.

Also if you have never read them do have a look at:

1984 - George Orwell
    East of Eden - John Steinbeck

Hope that helps - and thanks to the other posters - I've made some notes for myself to read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

BelacquaBo wrote: »
    Read Proust's In Search of Lost Time (or Remembrance of Things Past - depends on translator) It is a massive collection of books - first four volumes is over a 1500 pages but I've never read anything more beautiful in my life :)

Haha hilarious recommendation!

Did you see the list of books the OP said that she had loved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Frederick Forsyth - The Day Of The Jackal
    Michael Crichton - Jurassic Park
    Irvine Welsh - Crime
    Dennis Lehane - Mystic River
    Robert Harris - Fatherland
    Dan Brown - The DaVinci Code
    Stephen King - Cujo
    Glenn Meade - Resurrection Day

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

50 sheds of hay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Heres Your Future

under the skin by michel faber, trust me you'll never look at meat in the same way again after reading it. the book is currently being made into a movie i believe

Advertisement