Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flower seeds

Options
  • 14-06-2012 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I'm a lover of growing flower seeds. I was looking at the Sutton's collection. I was thinking of getting some perennial seeds and overwintering the plants in a greenhouse. Does anyone know if perennial in the UK means frost hardy here in Ireland. It doesn't state on their site if items are frost hardy. I would hate to grow something for my garden only to get severe frost next winter and kill it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, they would be the same for UK and Ireland. Perennial means they should survive anything our winters throw at them though a really exceptional winter might kill a few things that normally would survive.

You might not do them any favours by overwintering them in a greenhouse, once they are well grown they could grow too 'soft' in a greenhouse, or get diseases. It is getting a bit late to sow seeds now though for them to be well grown by the winter, check the packets for the recommended sowing dates. Some seeds need a cold spell before they will germinate.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

looksee wrote: »
    Yes, they would be the same for UK and Ireland. Perennial means they should survive anything our winters throw at them though a really exceptional winter might kill a few things that normally would survive.

You might not do them any favours by overwintering them in a greenhouse, once they are well grown they could grow too 'soft' in a greenhouse, or get diseases. It is getting a bit late to sow seeds now though for them to be well grown by the winter, check the packets for the recommended sowing dates. Some seeds need a cold spell before they will germinate.

Thank you so much for replying and the good advice. You have a good point about they getting too soft. Better to see if they can survive outdoors, again thank you

Advertisement