Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion exam - really?

Options
  • 14-06-2012 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the reason why Religon is included as a state examination and am further surprised that there is a Higher or Ordinary paper to boot. Is it looked on as spiritual wellbeing.

So in the same vein why isn't there a Physical Education one - surely that's physical wellbeing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Because your learning about other world religions? In PE your hardly learning about the Pillars of Mina :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭paddzdaman

PE would be unreal I know they do it as a proper subject in the gcse's in england (english Junior ) i dont really know much about it but it would be nicer then religion and would help kids who aren't great at academic subjects. I even know they do it for leaving in england. They bring it in but not for a few years i think with cut backs and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Religion is studied to offer students an insight to why religion is so important to people worldwide. Just becuase you (and I) might not consider religion to be very important in our lives it is however important to those of many, and it's important for us to know why. It's the same as history, you don't need to know about the past, but it's pretty important that you do.

About PE, I have to agree it would be a lovely subject but it wouldn't work for the practical aspect. Maybe you could do a project but there's no way the SEC would bring in a test of fitness. It just wouldn't work. Also, then PE would have to become optional and therefore non-sporty people would get even less exercise. I have a question though, what would you study in PE? All the Biology aspect of it is covered in SPHE and Science, so what other topics would be studied? Just wondering...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭paddzdaman

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Religion is studied to offer students an insight to why religion is so important to people worldwide. Just becuase you (and I) might not consider religion to be very important in our lives it is however important to those of many, and it's important for us to know why. It's the same as history, you don't need to know about the past, but it's pretty important that you do.

About PE, I have to agree it would be a lovely subject but it wouldn't work for the practical aspect. Maybe you could do a project but there's no way the SEC would bring in a test of fitness. It just wouldn't work. Also, then PE would have to become optional and therefore non-sporty people would get even less exercise. I have a question though, what would you study in PE? All the Biology aspect of it is covered in SPHE and Science, so what other topics would be studied? Just wondering...

Here this gives you an idea and sure in fairness I dont know about most religion classes but in fairness it kinda scene as a joke. It would be better having once a week classes where we could talk about religions such as islam and then maybe do something like this. BTW this is what is in PE in england http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/pe/

paddzdaman wrote: »
    Here this gives you an idea and sure in fairness I dont know about most religion classes but in fairness it kinda scene as a joke. It would be better having once a week classes where we could talk about religions such as islam and then maybe do something like this. BTW this is what is in PE in england http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/pe/
    Looking at the BBC Bitesize page for PE, apart from a few training topics everything else seems to be covered in SPHE/Home-Ec/Biology etc. I just don't think it's going to happen like it does in Britain. People really don't understand that the education system in Britain is very different from that in Ireland, and we can't just copy their subjects.

Religion is taken as a joke, but it really shouldn't be. It's actually a lovely subject if taught right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

I didn't do religion as an exam subject but I wish I did.Looks interesting.

paddyzk wrote: »
    I didn't do religion as an exam subject but I wish I did.Looks interesting.
    It can be.. :)

It can be.. :)

Some aspects of the course look interesting tbh especially learning about other religions.In my religion class that I have once a week we learn things like how to find verses in the bible. ><

Whats the story with the journal you have to do as well ?

Some aspects of the course look interesting tbh especially learning about other religions.In my religion class that I have once a week we learn things like how to find verses in the bible. ><

Whats the story with the journal you have to do as well ?
    Learning about different religions is pretty interesting, learning about how religion is changing in nowadays was interesting aswell. Yea, we did that bible thing in 1st Year too! :L

Eh, the journal's really easy and it's not too boring either. You do them in 2nd Year or 3rd Year. Here's some examples of projects http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S_92_11_Prescribed_Titles_for_Religious_Education_Journal_Work_Junior_Certificate_2012_and_2013.pdf .

You don't really do a journal, you must carry out your project (this might be just doing some research) and then do a journal (report) on it. The report booklets is here:
    http://www.examinations.ie/exam/JC_Religious_Education_Journal_Booklet.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭orlaxxx

our religion class do nothing! our teacher does nothing but show us youtube videos! dreading exam next year :(

• Advertisement

orlaxxx wrote: »
    our religion class do nothing! our teacher does nothing but show us youtube videos! dreading exam next year :(

Make it your job to do some work by yourself next year :)

orlaxxx wrote: »
    :O ARE YOU A SECOND YEAR!?!? :D

:O ARE YOU A SECOND YEAR!?!? :D

DAMN F**KING RIGHT!! XD

Advertisement