Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BitFenix Case + AsRock Mobo

Options
  • 14-06-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Building my PC at the moment and I've gotten as far as the "Front Panel Header", the annoying bit with all the small wires. I can't seem to relate the pins on the header to what I have from the case. I'm finding the manual a bit tough to follow. Has anyone else got a Bitfenix case and an AsRock board? I reckon they're probably all very similar. Here's a beautiful diagram I drew in paint of what I'm seeing. mobo_front_panel_header.png

Anyone know what I should plug into what?

Edit: I notice some triangles on the 2-pin wires, so drawing them in my "diagram" and putting in my colour-coded guesses, what do you guys reckon now? Here's the updated artwork.
    mobo_front_panel_header_2.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I was about to post, but yeah you got it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Power LED+ -> pled+
    Power LED- -> pled-
    Reset SW -> resetbtn and the gnd next to it
    Power SW -> pwrbtn and the gnd next to it
    HDD LED -> hdled+ and hdled-

All the writing on the pins should be facing upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Great, thanks guys. I'll wire it in the morning, let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

beautiful paint skills!

I can draw a stick man if anyone wants to see?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    beautiful paint skills!

I can draw a stick man if anyone wants to see?

Hah, it's a well-kept secret that all the best electronic engineers use Paint for their circuit diagrams. Autocad's for noobs :P. I think I have those cables in correctly now. Just gotta put the GPU and another fan in, and I think I'm done.

While I'm here, I've two more questions:
    Q1. I have two SATA3 ports, and I've plugged my boot drive into one. The other one's empty at the moment. Is there any point plugging my optical drive into it (instead of a SATA2 port)?
    Q2. There's an 8-pin CPU power socket at the top of the board, but the PSU has only two 4-pin cables. I stuck them both in. Is that correct?
    Q.3 Similar to Q2, there's a 24-pin motherboard power socket at the side of the board, but the PSU supplied a 20+4 cable, so I just plugged the 20 into the first 20 pins, and the four into the remaining four. Is that correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

1.) No point, it won't make any difference as the CD drive doesn't need the bandwidth.
    2.) Yep
    3.) Yep, the 20+4 is for compatibility with older motherboards that only have a 20pin power socket.

:)

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    1.) No point, it won't make any difference as the CD drive doesn't need the bandwidth.
    2.) Yep
    3.) Yep, the 20+4 is for compatibility with older motherboards that only have a 20pin power socket.

:)

Fantastic, thanks. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions before I get this thing up and running!

Ok, things seem to be up and running and I've installed w7 and the GPU driver. Now I'm looking at the motherboard installation CD and to me it gives the impression that I should have used that before I installed windows?
    Also, what stuff can I get away with not installing? I don't really want that VirtuMVP stuff or any of the XFast stuff either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You just use it before you install windows when windows can't find drivers for hard drives to install.

You're best off going to the website and getting the latest drivers. To find out what you don't have drivers yet, open the device manager: Windows button + pause/break key, then click on device manager.
    You usually need chipset drivers anyway and graphics card ones from AMD/nVidia.

Monotype wrote: »
    You just use it before you install windows when windows can't find drivers for hard drives to install.

You're best off going to the website and getting the latest drivers. To find out what you don't have drivers yet, open the device manager: Windows button + pause/break key, then click on device manager.
    You usually need chipset drivers anyway and graphics card ones from AMD/nVidia.

Grand, actually I installed a few things from the installation disk that came with the motherboard. I should have some sort of LAN driver, SATA3 driver, INF driver etc now. Next step is to see if I can route this ethernet cable downstairs to the router (wish me luck with that, i've 60ft of cable, kicking myself for not getting more)

• Advertisement
Advertisement