Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think Shay Given is fit?

• 14-06-2012 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hes not IMO and is showing why he was a doubt for so long.

Do you think he's fit? 9 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Not sure but, he could be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Not my type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I'd tap it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I did not think he was fot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I fink he iz well fit init.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Not fit and possibly past his best but i think Westwood is a decent replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Apparently retiring from international football after the Italy encounter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

A fit Shay Given would have kept out Mandzukic's first goal, Torres' first and the cheeky Silva pass into the net, IMO. Possibly Torres' second, will have to watch that one again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I would :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Im sure some would find him "fit"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Not that I'm a Roy Keane fan (sometimes I agree with him, sometimes I don't) but he mentioned something a couple of years back about players like Shay Given and Robbie Keane trying to amass as many caps as they can, and unfortunately I think this is the case here.

Shay Given has been a fantastic servant over the years and we probably wouldn't be at the Euro's without his heroics in the qualifiers but he doesn't look fit and he has cost us around 3 goals at this tournament; my cat would have saved that first Croatian goal! Westwood should have started if Given wasn't 100%, he's a more than adequate replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I dont think dunne was fully fit either - along with the loss of form of a few - doyle / hunt - injuries have plagued john o'shea too , the whole spine of the team is a lot weaker than a year ago - even with everyone fully fit and in top form , we would have struggled , but would been a lot more competive in losing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The most overrated goalkeeper of the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Lovely arse on him and a nice smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭BlueBaron

Paully D wrote: »

i actually quite liked your posts and all the threads you start, but after that comment i will not take you seriously anymore, a ridiculous statement!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I hope it's just a case of fitness and he has a couple of years left in him. On his day he is damn near unbeatable and will be a big loss when he hangs up the gloves. Westwood is decent but still quite a step down. Things could get very bad if we lose Given, Dunne, O'Shea, Duff and Keane in quick succession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Never mind the thread, the fact there is a poll for this is amusing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Westwood in for Italy please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Clearly not, but has made some good saves the 2 games. Punching the ball into the box for silvas goal was horrendous stuff.

Definately not the most overrated keeper the last decade thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Think Given can be blamed directly for at least 3 of the goals conceded in the tournament so far, and could have done better on all 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

0,,10265~10951750,00.jpg

Doesn't look very fit here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Yeah Id give him one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Silly comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

A fit Shay Given would have kept out Mandzukic's first goal, Torres' first and the cheeky Silva pass into the net, IMO. Possibly Torres' second, will have to watch that one again.

What the **** would fitness have to do with Torres' first goal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Its actually really annoying that we get to our first tournament in 10 years and clearly Given,Dunne and O Shea are not 100% fit or near their best. Combined with Duff and Keane getting on in years and is it any wonder we are not at the races.

Its also bad management that Westwood was not used more in friendlies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

BlueBaron wrote: »
    i actually quite liked your posts and all the threads you start, but after that comment i will not take you seriously anymore, a ridiculous statement!!!!

Just my opinion, I really couldn't care less if someone on an internet forum takes me seriously or not.

The way the vast majority of Irish go on you'd think he was Lev Yashin. At his best he was an excellent shot stopper with insane reflexes, but was never good enough at the other aspects of his game. He doesn't command his area, is as scared of crosses as Dracula, not the best at organizing his defence and his distribution is poor

Lets be honest, if he was as good as some make out the top clubs wouldn't have overlooked him time and time again when they needed to sign a goalkeeper. When he got his big move he lasted a season and a half before he was relegated to bench warming duties for a 21 year old with one season of Premier League experience.

Good goalkeeper, no doubt about that, but overrated IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Just my opinion, I really couldn't care less if someone on an internet forum takes me seriously or not.

The way the vast majority of Irish go on you'd think he was Lev Yashin. At his best he was an excellent shot stopper with insane reflexes, but was never good enough at the other aspects of his game. He doesn't command his area, is as scared of crosses as Dracula, not the best at organizing his defence and his distribution is poor

Lets be honest, if he was as good as some make out the top clubs wouldn't have overlooked him time and time again when they needed to sign a goalkeeper. When he got his big move he lasted a season and a half before he was relegated to bench warming duties for a 21 year old with one season of Premier League experience.

Good goalkeeper, no doubt about that, but overrated IMO.

Agree with that. Don't agree he was the most overated in a decade (or whatever it was) but defo overrated. Tired of hearing how there's an excuse for every goal he ever lets in (either it was some other players fault or now the old reliable that he's not 100% when he does inexcusable stuff like in the past two games).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Being quite honest I was too drunk to give an honest critical assesment of his play during the Croatia match, but against Spain he was 100%, a lower level of keeper would have conceded twice as many. Clearly he has been an injury worry for weeks now and maybe was not at his sharpest, but retirement is a bit quick to call for.

Advertisement