Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many pages a day do you read?

Options
  • 14-06-2012 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

I never really go above 60 - 80 myself, depending on the book of course.
    Start to get antsy around the 50/60 mark.

Very rarely will I go to 100 and beyond.

Probably read for about 1.5-2 hours on average per day

wbu?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I generally only read at night before I go to sleep so it depends how tired I am. 40-50 on average I'd say.

Of course there was the time I read a book about super rats that take over London in a mass horde. I couldn't sleep after I put it down so I read the whole thing in one night. *shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I read over 200 pages today. I was reading The Client and it was very unputdownable. I usually read around 100 pages a day. I'm not working at the moment. The company I worked for closed down and I'm finding it impossible to find another job in this recession. Reading helps to keep my mind active.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

depends on how tired i am
    i generally read about 100 pages an hour, so it depends on how long i'm going for
    last night i read "sleep pale sister" cover to cover, i think that's 400 pages
    if i enjoy the book i'll just read it through
    if it's a slightly tougher read i might break it up in batches - i don't think i could devour "the magic mountain" as easily, for example

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Sorry, I only deal in percentages now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

bluewolf wrote: »
    depends on how tired i am
    i generally read about 100 pages an hour, so it depends on how long i'm going for
    last night i read "sleep pale sister" cover to cover, i think that's 400 pages
    if i enjoy the book i'll just read it through
    if it's a slightly tougher read i might break it up in batches - i don't think i could devour "the magic mountain" as easily, for example

100 pages an hour? That's nuts. On a good day that would take me maybe 3 hours.
    Between being a slow reader, and having two small kids who don't sleep, I do well to manage about 40 or 50 pages a night. That's assuming the eyelids will let me. I'll sometimes manage 100, but that will keep me up to the wee small hours.
    I miss the days when I could pick up a book at 11 am on a Saturday morning and write off 6 or 8 hours to it. Books aren't meant to be read in small chunks, imo. Not fiction anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I used to read a small amount every day, during the day. Now I have a baby, and I read a lot while feeding him at night...so I suppose I reading 100+ pages every day at least. I've read about 40 books in the 4 months since he was born. (Kindle is great, you can turn pages with one hand!)

Sorry, I only deal in percentages now :p

How many percent do you read in a day?
    :)

How many percent do you read in a day?
    :)

Depends on how long the book is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

It depends on what it is that you're reading. Thrashy fiction I can fly through and finish the book in a day or two. Then again at the moment I'm reading Descartes and lucky if I can get through more than 20 pages a day.

Depends on how long the book is :)

An average book - Say 100%?

Don't answer that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

When I read I usually just keep reading until I get tired or if I have to go to do something, I've never set myself a certain number of pages but I'll always finish the chapter before I do whatever.

An average book - Say 100%?

Don't answer that :pac:

It does vary quite a bit with the length of the book, but I reckon I read an average of about 7-8% per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

For me I used to read far more, would easily have read a book in a night or if it was a bit more challenging of a book it would have taken me four/five nights.

However, this last year my pesky work life is interfering - being a manager and single parent does not leave much time for reading! Now I only read about 50/60 pages a night due to being tired and if i am really exhausted about 3 pages and I fall asleep with said book in my hand.

Except Song of Ice and Fire, I ate those books, I stayed up half the night reading them(but would be exhausted altogether the next day - I even skipped wine nights so I could read them!), flew threw all the current books, I miss having the time to read at that intensity but such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Kiever Sher

Around 120, usually read two-two and a half hours a day. If it's something like Infinite Jest or Against The Day I'll fall under that a fair bit but that's my average for most stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I read a lot of history books and I like to take notes while I read them, so 20-25 pages an hour would be good going on that front.

With fiction, it depends. If I am really engaged with a book, I can fly through hundreds of pages without even noticing. A few weeks back, I read over 400 pages of A Dance with Dragons in a few hours. The problem with that though, is that the details are sometimes lost. Sometimes when I'm in the middle of such a read, someone will ask me the name of the author, or even that of the book, and I'll be stumped!!:o

With fiction with which I am not so attached, but which I am nevertheless enjoying, I might get through 50-70 pages per day reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    I read over 200 pages today. I was reading The Client and it was very unputdownable. I usually read around 100 pages a day. I'm not working at the moment. The company I worked for closed down and I'm finding it impossible to find another job in this recession. Reading helps to keep my mind active.

I read The Client a few years back and I was the same. I just kept on reading and reading. It's one of the most addictive books I've ever read.

It depends on the book I'm reading. If it's a heavy one then I'd be lucky to get through 30. I read late at night though.

If it's a thriller or something along those lines then I could read half the book in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I love reading late at night too. The house is so quite and there's no distractions. I can read twice as fast, especially if its a really good novel. I've been known to start reading at 12am and then before I know it, it's 5am and the sun is starting to rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

PurpleBee wrote: »
    Any good forum moderator who interferes with the free expression of the members of the forum should always explain the reasons for said interference especially when it appears that there is absolutely no justification for it.

I await an explanation or restoration of my post.

Sure. I didn't remove the post but here's why it was correct to do so: If you don't like the thread, don't participate in it. From the perspective of the thread, your post was at best absolute nonsense; at worst being dickish. Neither does anything for the thread.

I've removed the exchange since. If you've any further questions, feel free to send me a PM. Discussing moderator actions on-thread does nothing useful for the thread either.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

I thought argument was allowed on boards. Whoever reported my post should be allowed see what I think of his actions. Aside from that I think it's healthy to argue about the point of threads in general. For example the thread about the Great American novel, people could quite rightly point out that it doesn't exist. Here I'm questioning the point of a thread about counting pages read.

Perfectly allowable. How I went about it... not nonsense, not dickish... who did I offend? Unless there are poor innocents out there who can't read the word arse without weeping into their curtains. If this post is deleted then I'm gone from here and the literature forum can continue without a ripple upon the surface of its consensual banality.

plus... I appreciate the explanation even though I don't agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Snudge

I always read two books at once. Not as difficult as it suggests. :eek: Usually a fact based book (currently on a book by Antonia Frazer about the wives of Henry the 8th) and something fictional ( right now the hunger games by Suzanne Collins). I always read at night and hate when the eyes start drooping and the words go fuzzy so a quick book change stimulates the mind and I'm fresh for another few chapters....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I could easily read 100 pages, but it depends on what I'm doing that day. Usually it's in bed that I read, so if I don't get to sleep, then you could be looking at a few hours of reading.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It depends on the nature of the reading matter.
    Difficult text that has to be master is by its nature slow and labourious to read.
    The latest summer light novel read, on the other extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Have no idea how many pages I read - but then I am using a Reader - so don't really notice the pages going.

I am not working at the moment, other than the hour I spend on laptop at night, I spend all my time reading (Housework? What housework? Kids? Honest they are not mine!!!). I am reading at least five books a week & then I read two or three books at a time. I vary between the heavy going & lighter reading. So reading an Anne Bishop fantasy book & Christopher Hitchen's memoir at the moment (and a few others).

I also re-read books - at the moment I am reading a series of books that I read about two years ago to check were they as good as I thought they were :rolleyes::o They were:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I read in chapters. I hate stopping in the middle of a chapter. Depending on the book, I could read maybe three or so chapters a day, kids permitting!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Depends largely on the book. I borrowed "Critical Mass" off a chap at work and had to force myself to read even a few pages a day. Conversely, I absolutely blazed through "A Storm of Swords". I think I was reading a hundred pages a days on days where I was commuting to work and a few hundred on days I wasn't.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

currently reading a song of Ice and Fire and have definitely become more compulsive reading this series. this third book is by far the best and I've read about 300 pages in the last two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

I read in chapters. I hate stopping in the middle of a chapter. Depending on the book, I could read maybe three or so chapters a day, kids permitting!

I do this also. How many chapters I get through depends totally on the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    I love reading late at night too. The house is so quite and there's no distractions. I can read twice as fast, especially if its a really good novel. I've been known to start reading at 12am and then before I know it, it's 5am and the sun is starting to rise.

Recently discovered the joys of reading in the bath myself, though you have to be careful to keep one dry hand for page turning purposes and it rules the Kindle out completely too!

My reading is very sporadic these days and surfing the net etc also eats into time that in the past would hev been reading time. I also find that as time has gone on using the net has affected my attention span - ie you read more in short sharp bursts whereas a book is more constant.

Recently discovered the joys of reading in the bath myself, though you have to be careful to keep one dry hand for page turning purposes and it rules the Kindle out completely too!

On the contrary, I took the Kindle into the bath once and it was grand. Lots of people seem to use ziploc bags to put them in, but I just took the chance to have it bare and trusted myself not to be clumsy with it. Worked out fine!

• Advertisement
Advertisement