Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus driver giving out to Spanish

• 14-06-2012 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

My girlfriend was on a bus just now when two Spanish girls tried to get on with a ticket, turns out they had bought child tickets by mistake. He shouted at them saying "you're not children, get off the bus". They were trying to understand what he meant and he was shouting at them to speak English, not Spanish (when they were speaking English).

They apologised straight away, offered to pay cash, he wouldn't listen, was just giving them loads of stick. Said he'd call the guards if they didn't get off the bus. It was pissing rain outside. After about ten minutes of abusing them, he let them pay on. I can't believe this, tourists are people who should always be treated well. Mistakes happen, its not a big deal.

When my girlfriend got off, she wrang the bell a little late and he said "should have went to specsavers" when she got off. How fcuked up is that?

I'm going to make a complaint in the morning, its a fcuking joke. I can't believe no one spoke up on the bus either, I'd have gone mad at him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Spain just beat us, he was probably in a bad mood. Bus drivers, was he Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

True story: once a Dublin Bus driver got off the bus to help a little old lady across the road. I thought "Ehh...has she paid her €2.20 to have him help her get somewhere?!" The prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Clearly a tad upset about the football...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

My girlfriend was on a bus just now when two Spanish girls tried to get on with a ticket, turns out they had bought child tickets by mistake. He shouted at them saying "you're not children, get off the bus".

Your girlfriend is a bloke?

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Clearly a tad upset about the football...

All the nationalities in the world and they had to be Spanish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

hondasam wrote: »
    Spain just beat us, he was probably in a bad mood. Bus drivers, was he Irish?

He was Irish, in his 40s. Regardless of any football match, that siht shouldn't happen. My girlfriend isn't Spanish.

Two young tourist girls, they didn't deserve that. Makes me livid.

He was Irish, in his 40s. Regardless of any football match, that siht shouldn't happen. My girlfriend isn't Spanish.

Two young tourist girls, they didn't deserve that. Makes me livid.

I'm sure they will get over it. There is rude people everywhere, just ignore them.

Your girlfriend is a bloke?

I deserved that. WHY DIDN'T I PROOF READ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

My girlfriend was on a bus just now when two Spanish girls tried to get on with a ticket, turns out they had bought child tickets by mistake. He shouted at them saying "you're not children, get off the bus". They were trying to understand what he meant and he was shouting at them to speak English, not Spanish (when they were speaking English).

They apologised straight away, offered to pay cash, he wouldn't listen, was just giving them loads of stick. Said he'd call the guards if they didn't get off the bus. It was pissing rain outside. After about ten minutes of abusing them, he let them pay on. I can't believe this, tourists are people who should always be treated well. Mistakes happen, its not a big deal.

When my girlfriend got off, she wrang the bell a little late and he said "should have went to specsavers" when she got off. How fcuked up is that?

I'm going to make a complaint in the morning, its a fcuking joke. I can't believe no one spoke up on the bus either, I'd have gone mad at him.

Sounds to me like he needs a slap to teach him some manners!!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It was probably closer to 2-3 minutes then 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

This never really happened, did it OP?
    Come on, be honest........

I deserved that. WHY DIDN'T I PROOF READ? :pac:

You are far too busy getting irate over two spanish girls.

I'm sure they will get over it. There is rude people everywhere, just ignore them.

I just spent a week in Poland for the football, couldn't believe how well we were treated by people when we spoke zero of the language. We had no trouble getting around on Public transport even though we had no clue where we were going most times.

I remember thinking, I hope tourists get treated this well back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

You are far too busy getting erect over two spanish girls.

AMIRITE?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The bus driver should have spanked their little naked Spanish asses.

I just spent a week in Poland for the football, couldn't believe how well we were treated by people when we spoke zero of the language. We had no trouble getting around on Public transport even though we had no clue where we were going most times.

I remember thinking, I hope tourists get treated this well back home.

Tourists get treated well here and sometimes we get treated like crap in other countries it's life. I would not worry about it.
    If they were not Spanish I might be a little annoyed but I hate Spain right now:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im just back from the uk. the bus drivers there greeted me when i got on the bus and said thanks as i got off
    DB has a lot to learn

im just back from the uk. the bus drivers there greeted me when i got on the bus and said thanks as i got off
    DB has a lot to learn

It always amuses me in the UK when you speak to the bus driver, he looks like something is wrong with you, people don't generally say thanks to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Well if it stops these Spanish students from coming over every summer and congregating in shop entrances, hanging out of walls and crowding the buses, generally being a pain, I'm ALL for it. Everyone should go around barking at the Spanish students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Steal our fish, well you gotta expect some comeback

• Advertisement

Moral of the story: the guys a cnut

I hope he gets lifted out of it when I make a complaint, but he probably won't.

In a time when the country is most desperate for tourists, this guy is abusing young women randomly. I bet had they been men, he'd have said fcuk all.

Moral of the story: the guys a cnut

I hope he gets lifted out of it when I make a complaint, but he probably won't.

In a time when the country is most desperate for tourists, this guy is abusing young women randomly. I bet had they been men, he'd have said fcuk all.

TBH you seem more bothered about the Spanish girls than your GF who is Irish.
    He was rude but making a complaint is most likely just wasting your time. The have cctv on the bus so they can check it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm a bit undecided about Dublin Bus drivers.

In the sense that if you come across such a dickhead of a driver. Is he really a dickhead? or just had a fu*ked up day? I cant help but feel the amount of crap they see and deal with is an eye-opener.

But of course even within saying that, no need to be a dick to someone who doesnt deserve so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

should have let them on, tried to arrange an inspector to meet him somewhere along the way and get them for ticket fraud. 200 quid to DB rather than nothing in the end...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

I see them let their mates ride for free if they stay up front next to the ticket machine. And you can't say it's just plain clothes Dublin Bus employees who are getting this sort of treatment. e.g I once saw a couple of chavs get onto a 16 or 16A headed towards the Yellow House Pub. ''Decoooo'' one of them shouted. ''You finally got a job for yourself'' and put the hand in the pocket to buy a ticket. ''Don't worry about the fare lads'' the driver replied as though it was his fooken bus and I had to sit there and watch them chat for 20 minutes blocking up the exit after I had paid but they hadn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I see them let their mates ride for free if they stay up front next to the ticket machine. And you can't say it's just plain clothes Dublin Bus employees who are getting this sort of treatment. e.g I once saw a couple of chavs get onto a 16 or 16A headed towards the Yellow House Pub. ''Decoooo'' one of them shouted. ''You finally got a job for yourself'' and put the hand in the pocket to buy a ticket. ''Don't worry about the fare lads'' the driver replied as though it was his fooken bus and I had to sit there and watch them chat for 20 minutes blocking up the exit after I had paid but they hadn't.

I know what you mean.
    But you get that every where man. From bouncers to even members on the Gardai. Things are a different story if you know them (and more importantly if they like you)

But to add more to my post.
    Dublin Bus drivers can have a hard job dealing with the public. Alot of a*sholes out there. But, they should be a dick to those who deserve. If some dublin bus driver gives loads to a poor ol' divil because some skanger annoyed him twenty minutes ago? thats not on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

I really do hope you complain about him tomorrow. Definitely deserves it. Remember, time, location, and bus number of incident.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Not so long ago a Dublin Bus driver refused me entry onto a bus until I said "please" when paying the fare. What harm it was probably the one time in the blue moon that I didn't say it, but I was very taken aback. Didn't think we had to beg them to take our money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I can't believe no one spoke up on the bus either, I'd have gone mad at him.

Why didn't your girlfriend say something? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Larianne wrote: »
    Well if it stops these Spanish students from coming over every summer and congregating in shop entrances, hanging out of walls and crowding the buses, generally being a pain, I'm ALL for it. Everyone should go around barking at the Spanish students.

I'd rather Pedro and his derpinas do this than Anto and the crew from the methadone clinic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Larianne wrote: »

My Spanish Students are due next week:eek:........Gonna have to work on the OH......he's not best pleased with the Spanish at present:o

He's already told me not to get all fancy with their dinners, he'll be taking the fuse out of the immersion and removing all but one light bulb from their rooms and he's fecked if he's ever giving them a lift anywhere:eek:

This from the most generous man I have ever encountered:eek: Hoping he'll make some sort of recovery prior to their arrival!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Absolute tard, that driver. I nearly ended up in a fight with a driver because I was wearing a football shirt he took a disliking to (he had a strong desire to bestow upon me his unreasonable and xenophobic views) - I wouldn't mind but the shirt was underneath a jumper! Hard to believe that he went out of his way to incite it too. Is it that hard for them to mind their bloody own, stop being an arse, and do their job?

That's not an AH answer, I know..:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Sounds like a moron alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

In the sense that if you come across such a dickhead of a driver. Is he really a dickhead? or just had a fu*ked up day? I cant help but feel the amount of crap they see and deal with is an eye-opener.

But of course even within saying that, no need to be a dick to someone who doesnt deserve so.

I agree, but........ When you're heading into Spanish Student season, and you have to wait while 14 of them scan their tickets, only to alight at the next stop (a minute walk away) while you're on your way to work, you lose sympathy for them. Unfortunately the innocent Spanish get caught in the cross-fire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Domo230 wrote: »
    I remember when it was snowing heavily and I was the only one on the bus (single decker).

I was standing up beside the driver chatting to him about what it's like to drive a bus and how it handles.

"sure it takes a bit of gettin used to but watch this"

There were no cars about and he pulled a massive powerslide around the corner that nearly sent me flying as he struggled to regain control of the bus in the heavy snow.

legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I'd rather Pedro and his derpinas do this than Anto and the crew from the methadone clinic.

They have buses in Carlow now? :confused:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Sounds like a dick, the spanish are a nice bunch of people. I'm looking forward to the students coming over, spanish birds are fit as fuuuuuuuuuuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Once had a bus drive off on me with my hand in the door but lately I've had ok experiences with them. Service to my part of Dublin is a bit crap though by comparison with independent alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Was having a smoke at the bus stop one day on the way to work, bus coming along, driver mimed a smoking gesture, then a 'no' finger wag and drove right past the stop. What a mental Cnut!

Did he honestly think I was going to stroll, smoking, onto the bus?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Oh noes!

Not fecking Spanish students time. They are awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

well considering the Spanish students always:

- try to crowd on before anyone has gotten off, I've seen old ladies nearly getting trampled by them

- shout at each other at 200 decibles for the whole journey

- press the bell 27 times, and then don't even get off because they pressed it too early.

- when they don't get off as mentioned above because of realising they want a later stop, they make sure to create a wall blocking anyone else from getting off.

and people are wondering why drivers or other passengers hate them so much?

Why didn't your girlfriend say something? :confused:

I asked her the same question, she said she felt intimidated by him, the way he was shouting. She just wanted off the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

you should take the 16a from the airport and listen to the abuse the tourists get. they are 5 mins in the country so how are they to know in Dublin you cannot pay for a bus ticket with a notes, only coins and if you do not have the exact fare you get a receipt instead of change.

do complain or better still both of you complain individually. make sure you have the bus no. , time, place and description of the driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

mikemac1 wrote: »
    It was probably closer to 2-3 minutes then 10

So about 12-13 in total?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Its stupid that bus drivers don't take notes. I was buying 2 tickets and gave him a fiver. Was told coins only. I said sorry I didn't know, keep the change. Still wouldn't take the money! Makes no sense at all!

Its stupid that bus drivers don't take notes. I was buying 2 tickets and gave him a fiver. Was told coins only. I said sorry I didn't know, keep the change. Still wouldn't take the money! Makes no sense at all!

only in Dublin do they not take notes and only here do they seem to need a protective glass.
    if they want things to run smoothly there should be signs up in a few languages (yes, not just English, not every tourist speaks it) stating what you need to do to buy a dublin bus ticket and warning them what they will not accept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

it's because the drivers aren't allowed carry cash because:

1. they can't be trusted not to steal it themselves.

and

2. they would be targeted for robberies and their safety would be put at risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

They were perfect targets. I've seen it time and time again. Wanker bus drivers only try to intimidate people who they think won't/can't stand up to them. They usually only pick on young women/teenagers. If its a foreigner that can't speak back then that's even better. A big burly, Irish bloke gets on the bus- will you hear a peep out of this driver?......will you ****.

Pathetic.

it's because the drivers aren't allowed carry cash because:

1. they can't be trusted not to steal it themselves.

and

2. they would be targeted for robberies and the their safety would be put at risk.

so why are so trusting of bus eireann drivers with other towns and cities, who accept notes. could they not all feck off with the cash?

• Advertisement
Advertisement