Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus driver giving out to Spanish

2»

Comments

im just back from the uk. the bus drivers there greeted me when i got on the bus and said thanks as i got off
    DB has a lot to learn

I spend a lot of time in the UK and the passengers there tend to speak to the driver when they board the bus and say "thanks" when they get off. DB passengers have a lot to learn.

Remember this guy?

I'm not making excuses for the driver in the OP (who is clearly a first class díck) but I get 4 Dublin buses every week day and 90% of the people can't see past the machine to the actual human being sitting at the wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I'm sure they're well used to it (the Spanish chicas).....Spanish bus drivers are obnoxious. Have got shouted at on various occasions. At this stage I'm kind of, "meh" about it. Must be a pain in the hole job.

Edit: the bus driver in this story acted the prick though. No justifying it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Fuinseog wrote: »
    so why are so trusting of bus eireann drivers with other towns and cities, who accept notes. could they not all feck off with the cash?

of course they could, Dublin Bus probably had higher instances of it in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Its stupid that bus drivers don't take notes. I was buying 2 tickets and gave him a fiver. Was told coins only. I said sorry I didn't know, keep the change. Still wouldn't take the money! Makes no sense at all!

It's because they were getting held up by junkies with dirty needles during the 90s. Having no access to the money deterred further attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

It's because they were getting held up by junkies with dirty needles during the 90s. Having no access to the money deterred further attacks.

Was that a regular occurrence? Surely taxi drivers are going to be targeted more often since they will have a few hundred and are on their own with no cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Was that a regular occurrence? Surely taxi drivers are going to be targeted more often since they will have a few hundred and are on their own with no cameras.

Quite a few taxis now have cameras installed, and I'm fairly sure that taxi drivers would not carry hundreds on their person. They probably drop money off after a certain period of being on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

only in Dublin do they not take notes and only here do they seem to need a protective glass.
    if they want things to run smoothly there should be signs up in a few languages (yes, not just English, not every tourist speaks it) stating what you need to do to buy a dublin bus ticket and warning them what they will not accept.
    Ever notice in Dublin Airport, all the signs are in English and Irish only!
    Would it kill the DAA to put up a few signs in Spanish/French/German/Polish/Russian/Chinese?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dejopadu

look lets be honest here, the spainish girls/women prob knew what they were doing, buy kids tickets & save some money. if they caught they play the 'i dont understand game'.....happens all the time.

as for your one ringing the bell late, she got off lightly, at least the driver managed to stop, he could have easily just dropped her off at the next stop & said he hadnt enough time to stop safely.

dublin bus drivers are grand, ive lived in other countries & i'd say there above the average - helpful, friendly, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Some bus drivers are just wánkers.
    My grandad used to get the bus at the terminus, and if he arrived early the bus driver would make him stand outside the bus till it was 10am, even if it was raining (a few years ago the old age bus pass didn't cover you till off peak times). Dickhead driver sitting on a bus reading the paper making a 78 year old man stand in the rain.

Most bus drivers are ok, but it's a profession that seems to have a higher percentage of knóbends than anything else.

• Advertisement

dejopadu wrote: »
    look lets be honest here, the spainish girls/women prob knew what they were doing, buy kids tickets & save some money. if they caught they play the 'i dont understand game'.....happens all the time.
    yah i'd say theres a good chance of that, spanish tourist are notoriously tight with money, four of them nursing 1 pint of guinness and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

When my girlfriend got off, she wrang the bell a little late and he said "should have went to specsavers" when she got off. How fcuked up is that?

I'm going to make a complaint in the morning, its a fcuking joke. I can't believe no one spoke up on the bus either, I'd have gone mad at him.

She should have told him to go fûck himself tbh.

What a dickhead.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Some bus drivers are just wánkers.
    My grandad used to get the bus at the terminus, and if he arrived early the bus driver would make him stand outside the bus till it was 10am, even if it was raining (a few years ago the old age bus pass didn't cover you till off peak times). Dickhead driver sitting on a bus reading the paper making a 78 year old man stand in the rain.
    Thats pretty ****ing disgusting. What a cnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

yah i'd say theres a good chance of that, spanish tourist are notoriously tight with money, four of them nursing 1 pint of guinness and so on.

yeah, that's part of why Leisureplex in Stillorgan started charging admission for a while (refundable if you played bowling, pool, etc), you had 15 of them sitting around one guy who bought a coke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

So, OP, did you call DB today and complain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Sent an email asking for the complaints departments details. Ill ring someone today anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

When I worked in town last year. If the local junkies would wait at the same bus stops as me, I quickly learned to move onto the next bus stop. The busmen just drove past, regardless of how many other passengers were waiting.
    Ps, I dont think Dublin Bus keep their CCTV for too long. it's wiped every few days. So hope your complaint is lodged in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Would it kill the DAA to put up a few signs in Spanish/French/German/Polish/Russian/Chinese?

and the Irish is there for decorative purposes only. for a supposedly multi cultural country where tourism is one of the most important industries there seems to be lack of tolerance for Johnny foreigner.

your average aer lingus hostess will not be able to speak another language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

There was a high profile rape case in Nottingham recently, a young student was not allowed travel on their equivalent of the last Nitelink because she was 20p short.

She was raped and badly beaten before her mum came to collect her.

That driver and other passangers should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ilovefridays

you had 15 of them sitting around one guy who bought a coke.
    i hope he shared his coke with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ilovefridays

My girlfriend was on a bus just now when two Spanish girls tried to get on with a ticket, turns out they had bought child tickets by mistake. He shouted at them saying "you're not children, get off the bus". They were trying to understand what he meant and he was shouting at them to speak English, not Spanish (when they were speaking English).
    How did your girlfriend know they were spanish?? they could have been Italian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Sent an email asking for the complaints departments details. Ill ring someone today anyway!

ring whatever garage the bus operates from and ask for the manager

Slightly off topic but the main language in Singapore airport is English. All staff speak English fluently and one was speaking to a customer in Italian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

and the Irish is there for decorative purposes only. for a supposedly multi cultural country where tourism is one of the most important industries there seems to be lack of tolerance for Johnny foreigner.

your average aer lingus hostess will not be able to speak another language.

the olympics are in the uk in a few weeks. the only language on any bus stops there is english

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the olympics are in the uk in a few weeks. the only language on any bus stops there is english

that is cos the Brits are a superior race and the world has to learn their language.

Tourism is important in England, but not to the same extent as it is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭BasedHobbes

Domo230 wrote: »
    Why should the driver be ashamed, for just doing his job :confused:

It's typical of bus drivers nowadays. Speaking from experience, I've seen bus drivers drive by the "rabble" of a bunch of first year schoolchildren trying to get home in the p*ssing rain because he was "afraid they'd mess up the bus". This wasn't the regularly scheduled Dublin Bus route either, but a much less frequent Bus Eireann route. Bus drivers are, with a few exceptions, overzealous when it suits them, and completely ignorant when it doesn't. Anyone who would leave a young girl in a city in the middle of the night because of 20p (which he could have easily paid himself) doesn't deserve to be working with the public at all.

As for the story with the Spanish students, they can annoy me as much as anyone. However, if our state subsidises the salary of bus drivers who aren't even willing to show a little leniency to someone visiting our country, it's a damn disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Have to agree with the previous poster. Pragmatism. If it's the last nitelink and she's only short by 20p, then I should think some human sensibility should kick in,especially when the alternative is to send a girl away,in the night, on her own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

This below : It costs them nothing to let someone ride for free and they do it all the time for their own selfish reasons. He probably gets a few tax free pints out of it for letting mates hop on for nothing.
    I see them let their mates ride for free if they stay up front next to the ticket machine. And you can't say it's just plain clothes Dublin Bus employees who are getting this sort of treatment. e.g I once saw a couple of chavs get onto a 16 or 16A headed towards the Yellow House Pub. ''Decoooo'' one of them shouted. ''You finally got a job for yourself'' and put the hand in the pocket to buy a ticket. ''Don't worry about the fare lads'' the driver replied as though it was his fooken bus and I had to sit there and watch them chat for 20 minutes blocking up the exit after I had paid but they hadn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

There should be trailers put on the back of buses for Spanish students. A flat fare should be charged. The bell should be set up to ring once for each bus stop and they should be forced off at the next stop after pressing it.

There should be trailers put on the back of buses for Spanish students. A flat fare should be charged. The bell should be set up to ring once for each bus stop and they should be forced off at the next stop after pressing it.

A soundproofed trailer :D

• Domo230 wrote: »

Because his actions directly contributed to a girl getting beaten and raped. Sure, she should have had the money. But she didn't. As the driver of a late-night bus (the last bus in this case), you should realise that your bus is the only way for people to get home safely and have the cop on to make case by case decisions. She clearly wasn't just taking the p*ss - she was only 20p short. He was being a jobsworth. There was no good reason to do what he did and leave her stranded.

I used to live on the continent and the bus drivers there never expected payments for the night buses. You were supposed to validate your ticket in the middle of the bus, but they all turned a blind eye. It was seen as a public service to make sure people got home safely rather than a money spinner. Some routes had a minibus service which was officially free. Ahhh. Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

]Moral of the story: the guys a cnut

I hope he gets lifted out of it when I make a complaint, but he probably won't., this guy is abusing young women randomly.

was the bus drivers name Larry?

Advertisement