Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

degree in italian?

• 14-06-2012 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone.
    I'll be taking on an arts degree soon enough, the subjects I've chosen being English, history, Italian and psychology. I will most definitely be dropping psychology and was going to dump either history or English after year one is done. I would like to get a degree in Italian as I've never been mad about French tbh but I'm wondering before I go making any crazy decision's and as someone who's hoping to go into teaching at some stage, is there any point in pursuing a degree in Italian? I know French and German are of course taught in secondary schools but is Italian even on the radar or is it just French and German. The last thing I want to do is discover in three years I've only the English or history that I can use. Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Sorry about the + symbols, its the android phone. Does it all the time for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

If you can find a website that tells you how many people do each Leaving Cert subject, that would give you a good indication of whether or not it's worthwhile.

This has the figures for 2011, it's probably quite similar each year.
    26,766 – The number of people who took Leaving Cert French at any level. That’s far higher than any other foreign language – 6,955 took German, 4,004 took Spanish, and 361 took Italian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Togepi wrote: »
    If you can find a website that tells you how many people do each Leaving Cert subject, that would give you a good indication of whether or not it's worthwhile.
    This has the figures for 2011, it's probably quite similar each year.
    26,766 – The number of people who took Leaving Cert French at any level. That’s far higher than any other foreign language – 6,955 took German, 4,004 took Spanish, and 361 took Italian.
    Thanks togepi. That doesn't bode well tbh looking at that, bit of a balls really. Noticed Arabic was on there, didn't even think that would be on there. Will have to think on it so. Really wanted a second language. Anyway, thanks again for your help. Much appreciated :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We do Italian in our school and every year for a few years there we were churning out at least two Italian teacher trainees. They couldn't have much of a chance getting a job as only a few hundred do Italian in the whole country.

There are no jobs in teaching anyway, but especially not in subjects with a tiny take-up.

Most of the Arabic sitters are among the Libyan students who traditionally sit the Leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭No.5

Hello everyone.
    I'll be taking on an arts degree soon enough, the subjects I've chosen being English, history, Italian and psychology. I will most definitely be dropping psychology and was going to dump either history or English after year one is done. I would like to get a degree in Italian as I've never been mad about French tbh but I'm wondering before I go making any crazy decision's and as someone who's hoping to go into teaching at some stage, is there any point in pursuing a degree in Italian? I know French and German are of course taught in secondary schools but is Italian even on the radar or is it just French and German. The last thing I want to do is discover in three years I've only the English or history that I can use. Thanks everyone.

Hey I can't say anything about how useful a degree in Italian would be as I really have no idea buutttt I did finish first year arts this year. Italian was one of my subjects. To be honest I really have no idea why I picked the subject. I always loved French in school and believed Italian to be something similar, which in some ways it is. However, in university the pace of learning really was sped up and with Italian I did find it difficult to keep up. You have to grasp grammar concepts incredibly quickly or risk falling behind. And trust me with Italian there was a hell of a lot of new concepts :P
    Where are you considering studying if you don't mind me asking? I'm in NUIG and to say the least, Italian adds a lot of hours to your timetable. You've at least 3 language classes a week, plus a lab hour, a conversation class, a culture class and an extra optional tutorial on a Friday. Plus a lot of the language classes are held in the evenings, often between 5-6. This becomes a pain and it's often very tempting to skip these late classes, which is never a good move because with Italian it was very easy to fall behind.
    In saying that however, the small class size of Italian was very useful in making friends, because often in the large Arts lecture one really does be lonely.
    Also, the Italian department in NUIG are a very friendly bunch.
    The culture lecture tended to be very interesting too and you do a project with another person.

• Advertisement
Advertisement