Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Important; I need everyone's feedback re. a training blog sub-forum.

• 15-06-2012 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

In a recent feedback thread an important/interesting point was raised ~ that maybe we should have a training blog sub-forum.

Initially this was of great interest to me, its an idea which works well in other forum on boards.ie.

However we're a little different here in so far as most of us will have opponents who might feed off a training blog which we might contribute to and concerns' were raised along those lines when I enquired further.

Personally I like the idea, I think new contributors to the forum would be interested in how some of us train, contest prep etc ~ however I am mindful that our competitors might find this information useful in their training goals too.

Thoughts please, would you contribute. Do you think its a good or bad idea ~ any feedback is appreciated as always.

Yes:No to the question in the above thread. 11 votes

Yes I think its a good idea and would contribute.
    0%
    No, I think the concerns raised at legitimate and I will not contribute.
    100%
    smaclbjj-fighterjust-joeChris Dowling00MARTZ00scottie pippenEnjoyChokeslammer187irateghostSpideog RuaRNC 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

I would like to think I would contribute, although it would probably end up being not so often, if at all.

I'm not sure about other martial arts/sports, but as a judoka, I don't think any details I would write would effect my performance in competition, regarding opponents reading it. Even if you said you were practicing a particular throw or technique, although an opponent could try to practice defence for this technique, I don't think it would give any advantage.

I guess I mean that, a lot of the time you already know your opponent's tokui-waza, or you can see him/her do it on competition day in a fight before your own. And then they throw you with it anyway!

So for me it sounds like a good idea, and it would be a good source of inspiratipon for training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I regularly keep a training/diet log on my clubs own forum and find it very helpful for a number of reasons, one being the name and shame factor, if you know you have to post it in your log there is that extra incentive to stick to your diet or do that extra run/conditioning.
    Its also very useful for checking what foods are working on your weight etc.
    I also love the idea of seeing what other people are trying and browsing logs for ideas or tips.

That said, I think the concern re opponents is a real one and I wouldn't contribute to an open public forum* for this reason. You pretty much have to state your injuries as your logs don't make sense otherwise and bending the truth hide injuries completely defeats the point of the log.

Also daily training logs and the final weight cut constitutes hundreds of hours of personal/club research into effective training/dieting methods for your specific sport, while I have no problem sharing them with fellow boardsies I would be reluctant to share them with direct competitors.

Again I have no problem sharing my logs with other boardsies that I know, feel free to PM anyone that wants a look.

*I understand there are private/invite only boards on here but I'm not very familar with them so not sure how they could work in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

It could be a good idea, and maybe could it be done on a test basis first?

I like the idea, but not sure how regularly I'd actually contribute, but could be good motivational factor, and interesting to see what others are up to.

I think the competition issue is a concern, but I'm sure those with issues with that just won't post, while those without issues will post regardless. Personally, I would think there should be no major issue if people posted their training in "off season" / when no competition is coming up, but then just didn't post for the 6 weeks or so coming up to a comp / fight, then they wouldn't be giving too much away to competitors etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

There's a really simple solution - if you're worried about a competitor seeing your log, don't post one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Personally, I'm the same as Peetrik more or less (we train at the same club and post our training logs in the same private forum). I wouldn't post my training regime publicly for lots of reasons, all of them competitive and all of them he has already mentioned.

Of course it's convenient for me that I have the other forum to post in. If enough people would post in a sub-forum here, we'll create it.
    Hanley wrote: »
    There's a really simple solution - if you're worried about a competitor seeing your log, don't post one.

We're not thick to be fair. This thread is about seeing whether there are enough people concerned to warrant having the forum. This is different from fitness logs or other forums that have logs because people may or may not have privacy concerns here. If they don't: Great. We'll fire it up. If they do: well there's not much point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

I only train for fun/fitness, usually train in kickboxing about 3 times a week, took up martial arts quite late in life (not too old, but defo not a young lad) only been in two competitions & one was a an inter-club
    so I'm not sure how much people would get out of my training log.

but - it might be of interest to older guys who think that they might not be up for it any more :D

I usually track MA/weight training on fitocracy, but would log here in instead

How detailed should a log be? I tend to keep it simple, and add a comment about anything significant, and changes to routine

I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of info in regards to trainee's diets.

Advertisement