Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Younger

When are match dates and venues released?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 What The?

CCR are the league champions - 18-14 win over Gonzaga

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Anyone know the result of the senior 2nds game between terenure and michaels this afternoon? It was 8 3 to terenure when I had to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cup13

Kilkenny less than comfortabley beat wesley 10-7 , both sides with chances, kilkenny just came out on top

• Site Banned Posts: 157 ✭✭yougottagoboy

What The? wrote: »
    CCR are the league champions - 18-14 win over Gonzaga

I want to know more about this league final? sounds a thrilling game.
    who was good/poor,chances etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭FatFosi12

What do you think.there strengths and weaknesses are in the team ? Very underestimated every year, no one really talks about them

They're a small side, and lack a cutting edge going forward. Weak in defence with what I saw of them too. But they might just have had a rough day.

I want to know more about this league final? sounds a thrilling game.
    who was good/poor,chances etc.

Gonzaga flyhalf missed two penalties, CCR kicker didnt have the shooting boots on either. Gonzaga were insistent on tapping and go-ing, keeping pace of game up and cut CCR up but couldn't finish. CCR will feel very lucky to be champions, Gonzaga really did deserve it in my opinion. But can't argue with a league title for the alma mater!

Gonzaga hooker, number 6, scrummie and 15 had excellent games.
    CCR's Rory Maloney was excellent but Walsh and Heffernan weren't as good as expected, Heffernan being the better of the two today.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Leinster5

I think Clongowes and St. Michaels will be happy with the way there's a lot of hype surrounding Terenure and Blackrock. If I'm honest, I was expecting St. Michaels to be considered favourites for the cup since they won it last year and beat Terenure earlier on this year, but it looks like Terenure have got the tag above their heads. Still don't think Blackrock are as good as Terenure or St. Michaels. And it'll be interesting to see how my Clongowes cope with being big underdogs for the cup for the first time in 4 or 5 years.

FatFosi12 wrote: »
    Gonzaga flyhalf missed two penalties, CCR kicker didnt have the shooting boots on either. Gonzaga were insistent on tapping and go-ing, keeping pace of game up and cut CCR up but couldn't finish. CCR will feel very lucky to be champions, Gonzaga really did deserve it in my opinion. But can't argue with a league title for the alma mater!

Gonzaga hooker, number 6, scrummie and 15 had excellent games.
    CCR's Rory Maloney was excellent but Walsh and Heffernan weren't as good as expected, Heffernan being the better of the two today.

Thanks FatFosi very informative. How was Andy Marks the 13? I see huge potential in that kid. And was the 6 of which you speak JC Carter?

Thanks FatFosi very informative. How was Andy Marks the 13? I see huge potential in that kid. And was the 6 of which you speak JC Carter?

Marks was playing 15. And from the team sheet here it says the guy is called Carter yes. Made a huge tackle on Heffernan when he was at full tilt running at him. Must be a good 20kgs in the difference but he picked him up and drove him back alright.

• Advertisement

Marks was playing 15. And from the team sheet here it says the guy is called Carter yes. Made a huge tackle on Heffernan when he was at full tilt running at him. Must be a good 20kgs in the difference but he picked him up and drove him back alright.

This guy Carter is one to look out for,I've watched the schools cup for nearly 30 years and never have I seen someone with his intent and fire for the game. I was so taken with him I even ventured to Gonzaga last year to watch him play 2nds games. The guy is a maniac on the field,literally has a demonic glint in his eye,if he can be controlled and gain weight he could be a very useful addition to the professional setup either here or abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Leinster5 wrote: »
    I think Clongowes and St. Michaels will be happy with the way there's a lot of hype surrounding Terenure and Blackrock. If I'm honest, I was expecting St. Michaels to be considered favourites for the cup since they won it last year and beat Terenure earlier on this year, but it looks like Terenure have got the tag above their heads. Still don't think Blackrock are as good as Terenure or St. Michaels. And it'll be interesting to see how my Clongowes cope with being big underdogs for the cup for the first time in 4 or 5 years.

No Terenure won't be happy being favourites but somebody has to be I guess. Before the year started I would have put St.Michaels as favourites but they just don't seem to be improving or gelling at all. This might be down to injuries I don't know. But this Terenure team has been tipped for a while now and in fairness they are living up to their hype friendly wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

This Terenure team is unbelievable. They were always going to be favourites, just look at some of the players they have

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

The league final was a dreadful game today. Both teams are going to have to improve if they want to leave a mark on the cup this year.

The Roscrea pack could be the most destructive I've seen since Jordi Murphys at Blackrock. Massive scrumming unit. The rucking and lineouts by Roscrea were poor though. Badly need to improve. Roscrea didn't play Sean O'Brien their Irish international and Connacht U20 captain. Looked injured.

I'd imagine they will both improve come cup time. Zaga 10 was the stand out player, lovely little step and nice pass

This Terenure team is unbelievable. They were always going to be favourites, just look at some of the players they have

I wouldn't go that far now. Yes they're very good but not "unbelievable". As for their players they're on a par with Michaels imo

its_phil wrote: »
    The league final was a dreadful game today. Both teams are going to have to improve if they want to leave a mark on the cup this year.

The Roscrea pack could be the most destructive I've seen since Jordi Murphys at Blackrock. Massive scrumming unit. The rucking and lineouts by Roscrea were poor though. Badly need to improve. Roscrea didn't play Sean O'Brien their Irish international and Connacht U20 captain. Looked injured.

I'd imagine they will both improve come cup time. Zaga 10 was the stand out player, lovely little step and nice pass

If their rucking was poor how are they that destructive?

I wouldn't go that far now. Yes they're very good but not "unbelievable". As for their players they're on a par with Michaels imo

There are few Micheals players who would get into Terenures team, McCarthy and Bryne would

its_phil wrote: »

I was at the game myself and I didnt think that they were that destructive. Lineout was poor, you're right there. There was tonnes of overthrown ball and a few steals at the front by the Gonzaga 5. And scrum wasn't half as destructive as you'd expect it to be, Walsh and Heffernan as I said before, big units but not superb today by any means. 7 was a good scavenger alright but gave away quite a few penalties and was binned eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

Lads, terenure are the favourites. No doubt about that, they are a brilliant side and will be the best team in the cup.

All this talk of michaels and blackrock putting it up to them reminds me of the clongowes side 2 years ago. Every wanted to believe that michaels would be good enough but in reality, cwc blew them out of the water in the 2nd half when it really mattered. I have a feeling terenure will do the same to all this year.

Obviously i'm hoping that teams will be able to put it up to them so the competition will be a decent spectacle but can't see it.

Michaels may be the holders but as stupid as this may seem, I still only think they were the 3rd best side in the cup last year! They caught clongowes on the hop and would lose to that clongowes side 8 times out of 10, but on the day tactics were right and they got the result. They also were lucky enough to be on the easy side of the draw.

Terenure for me. cwc could have a decent cup, lots of experience in their side as well so wouldn't write them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

If their rucking was poor how are they that destructive?

The scrum was very strong. They just didn't commit the numbers, but when the forwards carried they made yards.

• Advertisement

easy peasy wrote: »
    Lads, terenure are the favourites. No doubt about that, they are a brilliant side and will be the best team in the cup.

All this talk of michaels and blackrock putting it up to them reminds me of the clongowes side 2 years ago. Every wanted to believe that michaels would be good enough but in reality, cwc blew them out of the water in the 2nd half when it really mattered. I have a feeling terenure will do the same to all this year.

Obviously i'm hoping that teams will be able to put it up to them so the competition will be a decent spectacle but can't see it.

Michaels may be the holders but as stupid as this may seem, I still only think they were the 3rd best side in the cup last year! They caught clongowes on the hop and would lose to that clongowes side 8 times out of 10, but on the day tactics were right and they got the result. They also were lucky enough to be on the easy side of the draw.

Terenure for me. cwc could have a decent cup, lots of experience in their side as well so wouldn't write them off.

You do know 'Michaels beat Terenure 20-10 in the first match of the season don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ar_14

There are few Micheals players who would get into Terenures team, McCarthy and Bryne would

So the rest of their International and Provincial players wouldn't? Must be bias here

Quint2010 wrote: »
    You do know 'Michaels beat Terenure 20-10 in the first match of the season don't you?

Yep. The first match of the season. Players unavailable, out with the provinces etc; Means very little 5 months down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RugbyMan10

i wouldn't really agree with you on Michaels this year i think they have a better pack and all round squad then terenure have tbh.. as for saying only McCarthy and Bryne would get into terenures team i think thats a bit harsh.. denis coulsen at prob definetly would and kelleher on the wing

RugbyMan10 wrote: »
    i wouldn't really agree with you on Michaels this year i think they have a better pack and all round squad then terenure have tbh.. as for saying only McCarthy and Bryne would get into terenures team i think thats a bit harsh.. denis coulsen at prob definetly would and kelleher on the wing

Yes coulson would, Terenure have very good wings i must say especially O ' Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rugbyfan2012

Pres lost very narrowly 13-12 to Clongowes today, kick in final minute won it for Clongowes, 2 great tries from Pres' Leinster rep Keating but a penalty won it for Clongowes in final kick of game

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BigboyP

Belvedere have not been the same since that 08 Team? Why ?

BigboyP wrote: »
    Belvedere have not been the same since that 08 Team? Why ?

I'd mainly put it down to the fact that in all schools except for blackrock, success tends to come in cycles and Belvedere are waiting for another good side to come through again. One good year usually means 2 good sides. Can't imagine a school as big as belvedere wait long for another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 slackers88

Pres lost very narrowly 13-12 to Clongowes today, kick in final minute won it for Clongowes, 2 great tries from Pres' Leinster rep Keating but a penalty won it for Clongowes in final kick of game
    Interesting result.....i'll assume it wasnt clongowes first team, but what sort of team did they have out?

• Advertisement

I rate Kelleher very highly, think he's one of the best backs I've seen playing Schools for a long time. Would love to see him in the 20's squad and then moving into Leinster A contention etc. Top finisher, great speed, great feet, plus very strong.

I rate Kelleher very highly, think he's one of the best backs I've seen playing Schools for a long time. Would love to see him in the 20's squad and then moving into Leinster A contention etc. Top finisher, great speed, great feet, plus very strong.

Have you seen Dardis? Would you rate Kelleher higher?

Have you seen Dardis? Would you rate Kelleher higher?

I've seen Dardis play as well yeah, Kelleher has been playing full back and played there for the 19's this year. He's a top player, as is Dardis. They're different in a way, Dardis is more fleetfooted and glides over the turf, Kelleher could be used as a crasher as well.

I've seen Dardis play as well yeah, Kelleher has been playing full back and played there for the 19's this year. He's a top player, as is Dardis. They're different in a way, Dardis is more fleetfooted and glides over the turf, Kelleher could be used as a crasher as well.

I think Dardis is rated higher TBH. He was full back for Ireland U18 Schools last year-ahead of Kelleher despite being a year younger.

I think Dardis is rated higher TBH. He was full back for Ireland U18 Schools last year-ahead of Kelleher despite being a year younger.

That was before Kelleher was shifted to fullback though in fairness. Both cracking players though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

How is Dardis a year older?They're both in 6th year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

funtime93 wrote: »
    every one isnt the same age... some are u17 in 5th year and u18 in 6th while others are u18 in 5th year and u19 in 6th

slackers88 wrote: »
    Interesting result.....i'll assume it wasnt clongowes first team, but what sort of team did they have out?

Clongowes coaches said that it was a mix of firsts and seconds, much improved performance from the undersized Pres, they play Gerards next wednesday night at 7pm under floodlights in Greystones

funtime93 wrote: »

Dardis is a year younger than Kelleher ie he plays for Leinster 18's as opposed to Kelleher who plays for the 19's. By a year-he could actually be only a day younger in reality

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oldboy 92

Pres lost very narrowly 13-12 to Clongowes today, kick in final minute won it for Clongowes, 2 great tries from Pres' Leinster rep Keating but a penalty won it for Clongowes in final kick of game[/QUO

Clongowes seem to be struggling this year, very up and down. No disrespect to Pres but they bearly made the League Quarters. If the draw in the Vinnie Murray goes as predicted could Gerards surprise Clongowes? They drew with Pres!!!!

That was before Kelleher was shifted to fullback though in fairness. Both cracking players though.

And Kelleher had only played 20 mins of rugby since before the cup due to a torn hamstring,very tight call to say who's better..I'd love both players on my team!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

Oldboy 92 wrote: »
    Pres lost very narrowly 13-12 to Clongowes today, kick in final minute won it for Clongowes, 2 great tries from Pres' Leinster rep Keating but a penalty won it for Clongowes in final kick of game[/QUO

Clongowes seem to be struggling this year, very up and down. No disrespect to Pres but they bearly made the League Quarters. If the draw in the Vinnie Murray goes as predicted could Gerards surprise Clongowes? They drew with Pres!!!!

Can't see Gerards causing any upsets this year. SCT made up of mostly 5th and 4th years so if they have any chance of causing an upset it more then likely it will be next year than this year.

amtw wrote: »
    Oldboy 92 wrote: »

Can't see Gerards causing any upsets this year. SCT made up of mostly 5th and 4th years so if they have any chance of causing an upset it more then likely it will be next year than this year.

are gerards not better than pres bray? bit odd that they are in the vinnie murray?

amtw wrote: »

are gerards not better than pres bray? bit odd that they are in the vinnie murray?

Gerards better than Pres you must be a havin a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 44 breffnimartin1

Gerards better than Pres you must be a havin a laugh

Drew in last match; Gerards and Pres are scheduled to play another derby at Greystones friday week under lights; last time they drew but i think Pres will beat them decisively this time...

Drew in last match; Gerards and Pres are scheduled to play another derby at Greystones friday week under lights; last time they drew but i think Pres will beat them decisively this time...

so gerards arent going to make much of an impact this year? from what iv heard pres and gerards are both very small teams?

so gerards arent going to make much of an impact this year? from what iv heard pres and gerards are both very small teams?

From what I'd imagine Gerards golden years,with Toal Lennon,Crosbie Conan etc have departed

This Michaels team is one of the most experienced cup sides ever to play in a Senior Cup. Junior Cup winners, Senior Cup winners and many Leinster/Ireland reps in their squad. I think they'll be quietly confident of winning the cup for the 2nd year in a row. They have the best 9/10 combination in the Cup in McCarthy and Byrne, the best pack and by far the best lineout in the competition. Clongowes aren't good enough this year, don't have the power up front like the past 4 years sadly. Having said that, they have a very useful backline.

This Michaels team is one of the most experienced cup sides ever to play in a Senior Cup. Junior Cup winners, Senior Cup winners and many Leinster/Ireland reps in their squad. I think they'll be quietly confident of winning the cup for the 2nd year in a row. They have the best 9/10 combination in the Cup in McCarthy and Byrne, the best pack and by far the best lineout in the competition. Clongowes aren't good enough this year, don't have the power up front like the past 4 years sadly. Having said that, they have a very useful backline.

a bold statement,many on this thread would see Gonzaga as having the best halfbacks in the tournament

a bold statement,many on this thread would see Gonzaga as having the best halfbacks in the tournament
    How could you say Byrne isn't the best 10 in the competition ? He was outstanding last year, his goal kicking was outstanding and it looks like he's improved his defence. And McCarthy is Leinster u18's Captain and is also a quality player. And after all, we won't be seeing the Zaga 9/10 for long in this years competition once Rock deal with them.

11 of this years Terenure team started the senior semi final against Clongowes last year with a further three coming off the bench. Granted they have no senior cup medals but 9 of the team won the Junior cup in 2010 and and 5 of them also won the junior cup in 2009. So in terms of experience Terenure are more than a match for 'Michaels. Also-Terenure's lline out has improved massively since Rob Lalor has come into the team. They now have height on the second and back row's that maybe they didnt have earlier in the season. Don't forget-Terenure have put a combined total of 130 points on 'Rock, Clongowes, Belvedere and 'Mary's. They are favourites for a reason.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement