Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Leinster5

fox_1973 wrote: »
    Last years thread was partly ruined with hear says and Ive heard from a friend from a friend type of stories, Its no secret that I may be swaying towards Terenure but Im also a fan of good rugby, at this stage, all cup teams are working hard in the gym and in the field Im sure, and form can only be taken from previous junior cup meetings, previous senior cup appearances and provincial appearances

Michaels have Leinster reps everywhere bar 2 positions in their pack and 1 in the back line, from what I hear they are a lot bigger and better than last year. I've seen most of these Terenure players play and bar Brewer and Dardis, the rest are standard players. Michaels seem to be more skilled, and a lot more physically developed than Terenure. Just my opinion, I was a former Newbridge and Belvedere coach so I've kept a firm eye on Schools Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Michaels have Leinster reps everywhere bar 2 positions in their pack and 1 in the back line, from what I hear they are a lot bigger and better than last year. I've seen most of these Terenure players play and bar Brewer and Dardis, the rest are standard players. Michaels seem to be more skilled, and a lot more physically developed than Terenure. Just my opinion, I was a former Newbridge and Belvedere coach so I've kept a firm eye on Schools Rugby.

By my calculations, Terenure will have in their squad this year 13 Leinster Interprovincials. This squad have been unbeaten all the way up and hammered 'Michaels 31-9 in the Junior Cup final in 2010. They also won the thirds cup in 2011. Pretty much the same squad pushed Clongowes all the way in the semi's last year. To say the majority of their squad are standard players might be underestimating them a tad. But you go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rugbyman2015

Think he forgot to mention Stephen O'Neill as well, if he's not talent then what is really? Scorer of one try against Saints U19 on Saturday.

Wonder who will be the stars of the tournament this year, Leinster U19 captain Jack O'Neill from 'knock is one I'm desperate to see in the interpros as well as Nick Timoney from 'rock for the U18.

Do people here think Brewer is really a centre? He tends to cut inside a lot, classic trait of a player not comfortable with the position and looking for the safety of contact instead.

Think he forgot to mention Stephen O'Neill as well, if he's not talent then what is really? Scorer of one try against Saints U19 on Saturday.

Wonder who will be the stars of the tournament this year, Leinster U19 captain Jack O'Neill from 'knock is one I'm desperate to see in the interpros as well as Nick Timoney from 'rock for the U18.

Do people here think Brewer is really a centre? He tends to cut inside a lot, classic trait of a player not comfortable with the position and looking for the safety of contact instead.

O'Neill is a super player-at centre. He played out half in the cup last year and didn't look great. I would like to see Dardis moved to OH and Tim Schmidt to full back. For me Brewer is an 8. But I think he will play centre this year again.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    By my calculations, Terenure will have in their squad this year 13 Leinster Interprovincials. This squad have been unbeaten all the way up and hammered 'Michaels 31-9 in the Junior Cup final in 2010. They also won the thirds cup in 2011. Pretty much the same squad pushed Clongowes all the way in the semi's last year. To say the majority of their squad are standard players might be underestimating them a tad. But you go ahead.

By me saying standard, I mean players that wouldn't cut it at professional level. Clearly it's very early to tell what players and teams will win, we'll get a better indication in a few weeks when the friendlies start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Man with a problem

My only hope for the Senior Cup this year is that there is no repeat of the disgraceful first Roscrea Michaels match when Roscrea were robbed of victory by the Ref playing nearly 20 minutes of injury time at the end of the second half with Roscrea 3 points up and getting no penalties in spite of infringement after infringement by Michaels.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

By me saying standard, I mean players that wouldn't cut it at professional level. Clearly it's very early to tell what players and teams will win, we'll get a better indication in a few weeks when the friendlies start.

O'Neill is an age-grade international to be fair. Also, how many of the guys in this year's cup will become professionals? 4 or 5 at a push could play HEC. Players who won't make it professionally can still be way above standard at this level.

Well all we can go on are the interpro representation at the moment. Each school has 2 each on the U19's Blue team. Lets see who has what when the other squads are announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Are any of these players still playing schools?
    Billy Dardis
    Rory O'Loughlin
    Cian Kelleher
    Eoghan Quinn
    Eoghan McKeever
    Shane Delahunt
    Dylan Donnellan
    and Conor McKeon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Hagz wrote: »
    Billy Dardis
    Rory O'Loughlin
    Cian Kelleher
    Eoghan Quinn
    Eoghan McKeever
    Shane Delahunt
    Dylan Donnellan
    and Conor McKeon
    Billy dardis is

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

fox_1973 wrote: »
    Billy dardis is

As is McKeon

Billy Dardis
    Rory O'Loughlin
    Cian Kelleher
    Eoghan Quinn
    Eoghan McKeever
    Shane Delahunt
    Dylan Donnellan
    and Conor McKeon

Dardis, Donnellan and Kelleher are. Not sure about the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Billy Dardis
    Rory O'Loughlin
    Cian Kelleher
    Eoghan Quinn
    Eoghan McKeever
    Shane Delahunt
    Dylan Donnellan
    and Conor McKeon

Rory O'Loughlin definitely isn't anyway.

Tight game between U19 blue's and Connacht. Interesting what will happen in interpro's

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rugger Bugger Nut 93

My only hope for the Senior Cup this year is that there is no repeat of the disgraceful first Roscrea Michaels match when Roscrea were robbed of victory by the Ref playing nearly 20 minutes of injury time at the end of the second half with Roscrea 3 points up and getting no penalties in spite of infringement after infringement by Michaels.

EVERYONE LISTEN UP. Ye tried to almost dodge the topic. This was never made as public as it aught to be. What a disgrace. I heard it was like 25 minutes extra time. That referee should be put out on his arse. Talk about a way to crush confidence in the young lads. This is classic big Dublin school influences on schools rugby. Its this type of going ons that create a country versus city mentality in schools rugby. He should be ashamed of himself.

• Advertisement

EVERYONE LISTEN UP. Ye tried to almost dodge the topic. This was never made as public as it aught to be. What a disgrace. I heard it was like 25 minutes extra time. That referee should be put out on his arse. Talk about a way to crush confidence in the young lads. This is classic big Dublin school influences on schools rugby. Its this type of going ons that create a country versus city mentality in schools rugby. He should be ashamed of himself.

Most of the papers seem to be saying there was a total of 17 minutes injury time. I wasn't at the game but it does seem overly long. The Clongowes match winning try in the semi final against Terenure also should not have been awarded as the players leg was in touch. You just have to let it go.

Tight game between U19 blue's and Connacht. Interesting what will happen in interpro's

Very tight!! wish I could of made the match (damn traffic in wet weather...grrrr, that's another thread) they won't meet again, but with a good win against ulster and the whites beaten today, Id go for Connacht in the final in the pros, just the exciles to beat I think, anybody any idea of the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Lads try your best to keep the discussion on this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rugger Bugger Nut 93

Most of the papers seem to be saying there was a total of 17 minutes injury time. I wasn't at the game but it does seem overly long. The Clongowes match winning try in the semi final against Terenure also should not have been awarded as the players leg was in touch. You just have to let it go.

Bit of a difference though! That try was an innocent mistake from a referee and his subordinates overlooking theobvious, this however was an innocent ref fallin asleep for 17 minutes and snoring so loud with the whistle in his mouth he woke himself. ITS HARD TO LET THAT GO!

Pre-season friendlies for most schools start on the 5th and 8th of September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

is that young German lad still at Clongowes looked like a decent player from watching them play on tv.did the bryne twins get an academy after look like good players for the future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

is that young German lad still at Clongowes looked like a decent player from watching them play on tv.did the bryne twins get an academy after look like good players for the future?

They're on the Leinster Academy Squad page with updated pics, so I assume so...

.ak wrote: »

You have to love some of the biog's. Dan Leavy is no more 6ft 3"..

Pre-season friendlies for most schools start on the 5th and 8th of September.

Do you mean "training"? Thought the friendlies didn't start until October?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

.ak wrote: »

oh rite hopefully they`ll get some game time in the B&I cup

Do you mean "training"? Thought the friendlies didn't start until October?

No, from what I've been told, Michaels, Zaga, Roscrea, Castleknock etc all have games next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭specttator

Leinster U 18 match scheduled for Donnybrook, wed afternoon. will other maayches clash with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

specttator wrote: »
    Leinster U 18 match scheduled for Donnybrook, wed afternoon. will other matches clash with this.
    no matches will clash with the interpros. schools generally wont be playing many games at all in september. games dont really start up until early october

Leinster U18 schools are a very handy team, keen to see them in action

Leinster U18 schools are a very handy team, keen to see them in action

Any idea of the team?

• Advertisement

No idea as of yet but one's to look out for certainly are the likes of Dardis, Timoney, Brewer et al

LEINSTER SCHOOLS (UNDER-18): 15: Billy Dardis (Terenure College)
    14: Cormac Brennan (Cistercian College Roscrea)
    13: Fergal Cleary (Clongowes Wood College SJ)
    12: Harrison Brewer (Terenure College)
    11: James McCormack (Castleknock College)
    10: Ross Byrne (St. Michael's College)
    9: Nick McCarthy (St. Michael's College) CAPTAIN
    1: Oisin Heffernan (Cistercian College Roscrea)
    2: Graham Reynolds (The Kings Hospital)
    3: Oliver Jager (Blackrock College)
    4: David O'Connor (Blackrock College)
    5: Rory Moloney (Cistercian College Roscrea) LEADER
    6: Josh Murphy (St. Michael's College)
    7: Patrick Thornton (Terenure College)
    8: Nick Timoney (Blackrock College)
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Andrew Roche (Terenure College)
    17: Eric O'Sullivan (Templeogue College)
    18: Hugh O'Donnell (Newbridge College)
    19: James Ryan (St. Michael's College)
    20: Alex Penny (St. Michael's College)
    21: Tim Schmidt (Terenure College)
    22: Michael Courtney (CBC Monkstown)
    23: Andy Marks (Gonzaga College SJ)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GAA_PUNTER

The Leinster Schools (U18) team, sponsored by Newstalk, will play Ulster on Wednesday in Donnybrook at 2:30pm, and most of the top schools are represented.

Billy Dardis, a name to look out for in the future is well worth his place at fifteen. It will be a big year for Ross Byrne & Nick McCarthy who will be hoping to win the Leinster Schools Senior Cup with St Michaels playing at number 10 and 9 respectively.

.............................. more on http://ow.ly/dqckm

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RugbyMan10

Clongowes: Will be strong but not anywhere near as strong as last few years. Fergal Cleary from the Ireland Youths set up has moved there and will provide a very interesting partnership with Fromm the 12 back from last year.
    St Michaels: Will be just as strong as last year although losing players like Dan Leavy they still have promising players like Ross Byrne at out half and Cian Kelleher at either Full Back or wing. A combination of three very good Junior teams from 4th 5th and 6th year that all came so close.. will be interesting to see how they all gel!
    St Marys: In my opinion will have another poor year unfortunately. with the current 5th and 6th years having had two very average junior cup teams. What has happened to them?
    Terenure: Many peoples favourites. Star-studded team will be very hard to stop. Don't think much else needs to be said.
    Belvedre: With no current Leinster players in 6th year and having lost to Wesley at junior cup I dont think this will be a very promising year. Current crop of 5th years arent bad though.
    Blackrock: Will be very strong and powerful up front with some monsters in the pack. Not sure have they got much behind the scrum though!
    Castleknock: Wont have many 6th years as many of the promising junior team of '10 have gone off the rails as far as i know. Promising 5th years.
    Newbridge: Very talented group of 5th years and a decent group of 6th years.. expecting a good year for this squad.
    Gonzaga: Half Backs could tear any team apart not sure if they have the talent around the park though to compete against the big teams!
    Kilkenny: Will be strong once again this year. 6th years are a very talented group. Very underrated last year in my opinion.
    Roscrea: Have a good few Leinster reps, expect a decent league campaign not so sure they are as good as last few seasons though!

Players To Look out for: Fergal Cleary (Clongowes), Billy Dardis, Harrison Brewer ('Nure), Ross Byrne, Cian Kelleher (Michaels), Nick Timony ('Rock), Darragh Henry ('Knock) and Conor McKeon ('Zaga)

Verdict: Terenure or Michaels. Not a matter of if they will play against each other but when. Will be a cracker!

RugbyMan10 wrote: »
    Clongowes: Will be strong but not anywhere near as strong as last few years. Fergal Cleary from the Ireland Youths set up has moved there and will provide a very interesting partnership with Fromm the 12 back from last year.
    St Michaels: Will be just as strong as last year although losing players like Dan Leavy they still have promising players like Ross Byrne at out half and Cian Kelleher at either Full Back or wing. A combination of three very good Junior teams from 4th 5th and 6th year that all came so close.. will be interesting to see how they all gel!
    St Marys: In my opinion will have another poor year unfortunately. with the current 5th and 6th years having had two very average junior cup teams. What has happened to them?
    Terenure: Many peoples favourites. Star-studded team will be very hard to stop. Don't think much else needs to be said.
    Belvedre: With no current Leinster players in 6th year and having lost to Wesley at junior cup I dont think this will be a very promising year. Current crop of 5th years arent bad though.
    Blackrock: Will be very strong and powerful up front with some monsters in the pack. Not sure have they got much behind the scrum though!
    Castleknock: Wont have many 6th years as many of the promising junior team of '10 have gone off the rails as far as i know. Promising 5th years.
    Newbridge: Very talented group of 5th years and a decent group of 6th years.. expecting a good year for this squad.
    Gonzaga: Half Backs could tear any team apart not sure if they have the talent around the park though to compete against the big teams!
    Kilkenny: Will be strong once again this year. 6th years are a very talented group. Very underrated last year in my opinion.
    Roscrea: Have a good few Leinster reps, expect a decent league campaign not so sure they are as good as last few seasons though!

Players To Look out for: Fergal Cleary (Clongowes), Billy Dardis, Harrison Brewer ('Nure), Ross Byrne, Cian Kelleher (Michaels), Nick Timony ('Rock), Darragh Henry ('Knock) and Conor McKeon ('Zaga)

Verdict: Terenure or Michaels. Not a matter of if they will play against each other but when. Will be a cracker!

Thats a fair enough assessment Rugbyman. Think 'Rock will be real dark horses. Alot depends on the draw though. Look at last year-'Michaels were haunted in the first round and ended up going all the way.

Yeah i think 'Rock will be stronger than last year anyway. They have a fair few representatives at both 18s and 19s but as far as i know they are all forwards! Just dont know if they will have enough quality in the backs if they come up against 'Nure, Michaels or even Clongowes!

Would probably say Jack O'Neill from 'Knock warrants a mention there too. Ireland Schools player and captained Leinster U19 Blues to win against Northampton.

Very excited for Terenure vs Michael's match end of this month. Will the Leinster reps be back?

Would probably say Jack O'Neill from 'Knock warrants a mention there too. Ireland Schools player and captained Leinster U19 Blues to win against Northampton.

Very excited for Terenure vs Michael's match end of this month. Will the Leinster reps be back?

yea possibly give him a mention although he has never had a good schools cup game in my opinion.
    As far as i know i dont think the reps are back for a while.

yea possibly give him a mention although he has never had a good schools cup game in my opinion.
    As far as i know i dont think the reps are back for a while.

They(Michaels and Terenure) played each other around the same time last year. Strange thing was that Terenure played all their Leinster reps while Michaels didn't play any. I'm pretty sure the interpro's end in the first few days of October so I doubt they'll play. Anyone hear of any friendlies this week on Wednesday or Saturday ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

They(Michaels and Terenure) played each other around the same time last year. Strange thing was that Terenure played all their Leinster reps while Michaels didn't play any. I'm pretty sure the interpro's end in the first few days of October so I doubt they'll play. Anyone hear of any friendlies this week on Wednesday or Saturday ?
    All the interpro's that have schools players will be finished by the end of this month. only the youths interpros and schools a(not the big schools) interpros are played in october.
    fairly sure there's no games until the end of this month

The champs St. Michaels kick start their pre season at home this weekend on Saturday against CBC Monkstown. Might watch it with a mate of mine who's little brother is starting for CBC.

Got to watch the Michaels v CBC Monkstown earlier. Michaels were very impressive considering they were missing roughly 10 starters, or so I was told. Michaels dominated the set-piece and most of the game. 2, 3 and 13 for Michaels were impressive. Very few CBC players stood out, their 7 had a decent showing.

Anybody have any idea when Michaels face Terenure, or when Rock face Clongowes ?

Got to watch the Michaels v CBC Monkstown earlier. Michaels were very impressive considering they were missing roughly 10 starters, or so I was told. Michaels dominated the set-piece and most of the game. 2, 3 and 13 for Michaels were impressive. Very few CBC players stood out, their 7 had a decent showing.

Anybody have any idea when Michaels face Terenure, or when Rock face Clongowes ?

Terenure v Michaels is scheduled for 29th of this month in Michaels, will be interesting to see as both teams will still not have their inter-pro players back

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭specttator

Is that the case re return of interpro players? i thought they would be free after Wed next the last of the three matches.

Is that the case re return of interpro players? i thought they would be free after Wed next the last of the three matches.

I think the 18's are finished some time next week, so I'd imagine they could be back for it. But from what I was told yesterday at the game, Leinster 19's don't finish up for another few weeks.

• Advertisement

I think the 18's are finished some time next week, so I'd imagine they could be back for it. But from what I was told yesterday at the game, Leinster 19's don't finish up for another few weeks.
    The 19 playoffs are not till the 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oldboy 92

Michaels play Clongowes on the 20th of October!!!

Oldboy 92 wrote: »
    Michaels play Clongowes on the 20th of October!!!

Any idea which school is hosting?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oldboy 92

Any idea which school is hosting?

It was in Michaels last year so assume it will be down there this year.

Oldboy 92 wrote: »
    It was in Michaels last year so assume it will be down there this year.

Terenure playing Clongowes this year which I believe they haven't done for the past couple of seasons. (in friendlies thats is)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement