Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Leinster5

Quint2010 wrote: »
    11 of this years Terenure team started the senior semi final against Clongowes last year with a further three coming off the bench. Granted they have no senior cup medals but 9 of the team won the Junior cup in 2010 and and 5 of them also won the junior cup in 2009. So in terms of experience Terenure are more than a match for 'Michaels. Also-Terenure's lline out has improved massively since Rob Lalor has come into the team. They now have height on the second and back row's that maybe they didnt have earlier in the season. Don't forget-Terenure have put a combined total of 130 points on 'Rock, Clongowes, Belvedere and 'Mary's. They are favourites for a reason.
    They key thing is that, the St. Michaels players who won it last year who are back again this year, are the only players in the whole cup who know what it takes to win a Senior Cup. And I'm a big believer in experience. Different prospect playing in front of 10-13,000 people in the RDS than a bunch of 14 and 15 year old's in a Final in Donnybrook. I'm not saying Terenure don't deserve to be favourites, they do deserve to be favourites based on form. I just have a funny feeling St. Michaels will be the team to beat come cup time

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cup13

Anyone know score in rock andrews match yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Leinster5 wrote: »
    They key thing is that, the St. Michaels players who won it last year who are back again this year, are the only players in the whole cup who know what it takes to win a Senior Cup. And I'm a big believer in experience. Different prospect playing in front of 10-13,000 people in the RDS than a bunch of 14 and 15 year old's in a Final in Donnybrook. I'm not saying Terenure don't deserve to be favourites, they do deserve to be favourites based on form. I just have a funny feeling St. Michaels will be the team to beat come cup time

I think Junior Cup results between sides is hugely relevent. I think it's what helped 'Michaels in the final this year (the fact they had beaten Clongowes in 2009) and I think Terenure's hammering of 'Michaels in the 2010 junior final will also be relevent-when Terenure didn't even have Dardis playing for them. 'Michaels have a talented side no doubt but have yet to prove this year that they have the best pack or line out.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

The cup dates and venues are up on the leinster site, sorry I can't link, on phone, first game is terenure v belvo 27th in donnybrook, looking forward to it all ready!

I think Junior Cup results between sides is hugely relevent. I think it's what helped 'Michaels in the final this year (the fact they had beaten Clongowes in 2009) and I think Terenure's hammering of 'Michaels in the 2010 junior final will also be relevent. 'Michaels have a talented side no doubt but have yet to prove this year that they have the best pack or line out.
    Well I've only seen 3 St. Michaels games, but those games were against Blackrock, Clongowes and Terenure. In every game bar Blackrock, they dominated the opposition pack. And I'm 99% certain they didn't lose a single line-out in any of those 3 games. So I'm basing my theory on those performances against the big teams, because I can remember Clongowes having a horror show at the set-piece against Michaels and that ultimately cost us the chance of beating St. Michaels that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭FatFosi12

fox_1973 wrote: »
    The cup dates and venues are up on the leinster site, sorry I can't link, on phone, first game is terenure v belvo 27th in donnybrook, looking forward to it all ready!

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/schools/school_draw.php

Well I've only seen 3 St. Michaels games, but those games were against Blackrock, Clongowes and Terenure. In every game bar Blackrock, they dominated the opposition pack. And I'm 99% certain they didn't lose a single line-out in any of those 3 games. So I'm basing my theory on those performances against the big teams, because I can remember Clongowes having a horror show at the set-piece against Michaels and that ultimately cost us the chance of beating St. Michaels that day.

Well winning all their line out's in those games is indeed very impressive. Actually what was the score in the Clongowes 'Michaels match?

FatFosi12 wrote: »

Matches in Tallaght Stadium. Excellent!

How could you say Byrne isn't the best 10 in the competition ? He was outstanding last year, his goal kicking was outstanding and it looks like he's improved his defence. And McCarthy is Leinster u18's Captain and is also a quality player. And after all, we won't be seeing the Zaga 9/10 for long in this years competition once Rock deal with them.

How could you say that McKeon isn't the best 10 in the competition? He was Gonzagas best player against Nure last year and both him and Lavelle were the starting halfbacks for the 19's. You're being very hasty in some of these statements, I'd let cuptime and Ireland selection come first before you start making assumptions to who are the best players for their position. Wait for the games to unfold, we could see an upset this year from Gonzaga or Belvo, or from anyone. We say it every year that one of the smaller schools will do it but you never know.

• Advertisement

Well winning all their line out's in those games is indeed very impressive. Actually what was the score in the Clongowes 'Michaels match?
    Was a draw. We(Clongowes) scored 10 points in the last 5 minutes to draw, Michaels were missing a few but fell apart in the last 10 minutes and could of lost.

Was a draw. We(Clongowes) scored 10 points in the last 5 minutes to draw, Michaels were missing a few but fell apart in the last 10 minutes and could of lost.

Thanks. So Michaels won all their line out in those games yet only managed to win one of the matches? And the one they did win-Terenure were missing their two main line out protagonists in Somerville and Lalor. 'Michaels could really struggle if their line out malfunctions so.

• Site Banned Posts: 157 ✭✭yougottagoboy

How could you say Byrne isn't the best 10 in the competition ? He was outstanding last year, his goal kicking was outstanding and it looks like he's improved his defence. And McCarthy is Leinster u18's Captain and is also a quality player. And after all, we won't be seeing the Zaga 9/10 for long in this years competition once Rock deal with them.

I can say he isn't the best 10 in the competition beacuse I don't think he is the best 10. His kicking is fantastic,absoultely class. But his play with ball in hand doesn't compare with McKeon's,he's an incredibly exciting player to watch and a superb all round footballer. And bear in mind Byrne got continous front foot ball off a very dominant pack,just like Jonny Wilkinson in 2003. Gonzaga struggled last year to give McKeon decent ball but he still made the most of it and was considered by many the best player on the pitch after they lost to Nure in the quarter last year. I also wouldn't say there's much between McCarthy and Lavelle. McCarthy has a brilliant pass and offers quality service but Lavelle possesses an attacking threat,great jackling ability and physical presence second to none at this level.

Thanks. So Michaels won all their line out in those games yet only managed to win one of the matches? And the one they did win-Terenure were missing their two main line out protagonists in Somerville and Lalor. 'Michaels could really struggle if their line out malfunctions so.

Is rob lalor niall lalor's brother quint?

No idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GOKING69

have heard very little on the smaller cup schools compared to recent years. is there any notable talent in the likes of Andrews, Kilkenny, newbridge?

• Advertisement

GOKING69 wrote: »
    have heard very little on the smaller cup schools compared to recent years. is there any notable talent in the likes of Andrews, Kilkenny, newbridge?

Kilkenny have a couple of good backs Simon Williams,Sam Sterling and Bailey-Kearney. But they really miss the grunt of last years pack which was pretty large as packs go with Deacon,Foot and Delahunt

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rugbyfan2012

Drew in last match; Gerards and Pres are scheduled to play another derby at Greystones friday week under lights; last time they drew but i think Pres will beat them decisively this time...

Next wednesday night 7pm, going to be a great game

Kilkenny have a couple of good backs Simon Williams,Sam Sterling and Bailey-Kearney. But they really miss the grunt of last years pack which was pretty large as packs go with Deacon,Foot and Delahunt

Are deacon or foot involved in the Leinster set up? I've heard of Delahunt alright! deacon must have been the biggest 8 in the tournament last year? Hard to miss also.. Did any of thoes 3 first mentioned play inter pro? ( my son is in Kilkenny, hence the interest? thought I might give them a cheer )

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Are deacon or foot involved in the Leinster set up? I've heard of Delahunt alright! deacon must have been the biggest 8 in the tournament last year? Hard to miss also.. Did any of thoes 3 first mentioned play inter pro? ( my son is in Kilkenny, hence the interest? thought I might give them a cheer )

any talent in the vinnie murray? i always love to see if there is any emerging talent hidden away

Yeah Deacon and Foot were both with the Leinster 20s this summer,now plying their trade with Lansdowne 21s. Both great players. Yeah all those three lads have played rep,flanker Michael Triggs as well.

• Advertisement

Lalor played in that game vs St. Michaels I'm fairly sure. While Michaels were without Moloney in the 2nd row. Yeah seems that it could be Michaels backline that's the issue ? I'm not sure, I guess we'll find out in just over a months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 breffnimartin1

so gerards arent going to make much of an impact this year? from what iv heard pres and gerards are both very small teams?

All the tall pres guys are playing basketball! http://presbray.com/sports/basketball/

But pres are not without talent - here is Jack Keating's second try against Clongowes yesterday http://youtu.be/bZt0YFNr7DM

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rugbyfan2012

so gerards arent going to make much of an impact this year? from what iv heard pres and gerards are both very small teams?

No gerards arent great at all this year, there 13s not bad but nothing special

All the tall pres guys are playing basketball, with some success:
    http://presbray.com/sports/basketball/ ; its also harder for the day schools to get leaving year kids to play...

having said that pres are far from without talent, here's a fine try by jack keating in the clongowes game yesterday http://youtu.be/bZt0YFNr7DM - i'd give pres a good chance of beating kilkenny in the first round - after that it depends...

http://presbray.com/sports/basketball/ ; its also harder for the day schools to get leaving year kids to play...

having said that pres are far from without talent, here's a fine try by jack keating in the clongowes game yesterday http://youtu.be/bZt0YFNr7DM - i'd give pres a good chance of beating kilkenny in the first round - after that it depends...

So Kilkenny or Pres?

So Kilkenny or Pres?

I'm gonna say Kilkenny but pres pulled it out of the bag last year so you don't know!

He is but with a lot more talent imo

He is but with a lot more talent imo

Yeah wasn't sure-thought Rob Lalor was a different gene pool altogether. He freakin' massive!

So Kilkenny or Pres?

I'll go Kilkenny. They have the backs to do it, and a classic tough pack. Triggs is a quality operator at 7, hugely aggressive and a good poacher to boot.

• Advertisement

Looks like a great artificial pitch they have down in Clongowes!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

FatFosi12 wrote: »

Looks like a great artificial pitch they have down in Clongowes!

Ye that pitch has been there since 2005, was one of, if not the first of its kind in the country. Fairly sure the irish team used it when they're pitches were flooded a few years ago. They have built a new gym and sports hall down there as well. Incredible facilities for a secondary school.

Yeah wasn't sure-thought Rob Lalor was a different gene pool altogether. He freakin' massive!
    Over the last year he has just turned into a monster! I love watching him play, can't wait to see how he does in the Ireland schools set-up, very talented for a 16 year old

Over the last year he has just turned into a monster! I love watching him play, can't wait to see how he does in the Ireland schools set-up, very talented for a 16 year old

Yeah noticed he started at 6 on Saturday with O'Sullivan in the second row and Mike Murphy only on the bench? Do you think they'll start the cup like that? Be tough on Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Scrum got destroyed against Marys and lost 3 or 4 lineouts.

Yeah noticed he started at 6 on Saturday with O'Sullivan in the second row and Mike Murphy only on the bench? Do you think they'll start the cup like that? Be tough on Murphy.

Wow I'm really looking forward to seeing this Lalor fella in action. Thought his brother was a great player,very unlucky not to have played rep 20s imo. Really sly,dogged tough player who knew how to play the ref. Murphy seemed to be their lineout marshall last year and a good footballer,says alot for the competition in Nure! I'd love to see Lalor up against JC Carter from Gonzaga,he turned down a place in the Leinster u19s squad this summer to focus on his Art portfolio. That'd be some tussle!

Wow I'm really looking forward to seeing this Lalor fella in action. Thought his brother was a great player,very unlucky not to have played rep 20s imo. Really sly,dogged tough player who knew how to play the ref. Murphy seemed to be their lineout marshall last year and a good footballer,says alot for the competition in Nure! I'd love to see Lalor up against JC Carter from Gonzaga,he turned down a place in the Leinster u19s squad this summer to focus on his Art portfolio. That'd be some tussle!

He won't thank you for mentioning that....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

JC Carter is such a jock name.

Hagz wrote: »
    JC Carter is such a jock name.

Asked a few Gonzagans I know and he's named after his great-grandfather who captained Castleknock to the Senior Cup in 1913 and then died at the Battle of the Somme in 1916

• Advertisement

Gonna be honest id love to see a small school make a breakthrough and win the cup, or even a team from the vinnie murray go far, nothing better than a success story...will probably be nure and michaels though

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Asked a few Gonzagans I know and he's named after his great-grandfather who captained Castleknock to the Senior Cup in 1913 and then died at the Battle of the Somme in 1916

I'm pretty sure his name is James Carter, at least according to the team sheets yesterday. I think he's only called JC because they're his initials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 julio tuqiri

Scrum got destroyed against Marys and lost 3 or 4 lineouts.

Absolute farce, I was at that match and think michaels at least matched up, if not dominated themselves. In my opinion the marys loosehead was lucky to escape that match uninjured, his technique leaving a lot to be desired!

Absolute farce, I was at that match and think michaels at least matched up, if not dominated themselves. In my opinion the marys loosehead was lucky to escape that match uninjured, his technique leaving a lot to be desired!

I wonder who you are?

I'm pretty sure his name is James Carter, at least according to the team sheets yesterday. I think he's only called JC because they're his initials.

I was wondering, JC sounded very Afro-American!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 julio tuqiri

I wonder who you are?

just a former prop, who would rather the new blood learned the fundamental skills, before trying to pack on as many kgs as possible

• Advertisement

just a former prop, who would rather the new blood learned the fundamental skills, before trying to pack on as many kgs as possible

I agree that's why I quite admire the Marys prop bout under 100kgs which is quite rare these days and technically strong.

I agree that's why I quite admire the Marys prop bout under 100kgs which is quite rare these days and technically strong.

who are marys key players ? am very surprised with how highly rated they are

His middle name is Cecil!

Wouldn't say they're really highly rated. Very much a team harder to comment on individuals.

any team coached by Vinny Hammond I expect to be challenging!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement