Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I think there is way too much emphasis on interprovincial representation here... Lets be honest looking at the draw , there are sure to be a few outside bets in the quaters and then semis. Clongowes got a very nice draw, as did Roscrea, then you have Newbridge or KH and Pres or Kilkenny. The draw is very even and i think we shouldnt rule out Clongowes yet.. Marys in with a shout too

You don't think having 8 or 9 Ireland schools players entitles you to some sort of favouritism?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Quint2010 wrote: »
    You don't think having 8 or 9 Ireland schools players entitles you to some sort of favouritism?

Michaels dont have 9 Ireland schools representatives.

Michaels dont have 9 Ireland schools representatives.

They have 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

They have 8.
    Name them? I don't remember them having 8 in last Springs European championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Name them? I don't remember them having 8 in last Springs European championship
    He is talking about(i assume) the number that have made the irish schools squad for their 2 internationals in the spring. u18 Schools not competing in FIRA championships in 2013 as the Irish Youths side are rightfully back competing in the FIRA comp
    and afaik nobody has 8 in the squad. some schools have 5/6 but def not 8

• Advertisement

Sorry it's 7-Kelleher, Molony for the 19's and McCarthy, Byrne, Adam Leavy, Ryan and Murphy for the 18's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Sorry it's 7-Kelleher, Molony for the 19's and McCarthy, Byrne, Adam Leavy, Ryan and Murphy for the 18's

(10 minutes later)

Quint2010: They have six

(20 minutes later)

Quint2010: They have five

...I see a pattern

:P

• Site Banned Posts: 157 ✭✭yougottagoboy

they haven't represented anyone yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kococo

any word to be said about kh this year ?

Kococo wrote: »

Seen them once. Three rep players. I was surprised to see them play such an expansive game,they really come out of the blocks all guns blazing and throw the ball around wonderfully. That said defence leaves a bit to be desired as does their rucking intensity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭FatFosi12

Kococo wrote: »

Mpiko is a big unit but not a good player. Fitzpatrick is a quality operator in the backs though.

FatFosi12 wrote: »
    Mpiko is a big unit but not a good player. Fitzpatrick is a quality operator in the backs though.

Graham Reynolds is a handy player as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

they haven't represented anyone yet

Same could be said for a lot of players from schools who have been the talk of this forum yet they're still considered Irish reps.

Same could be said for a lot of players from schools who have been the talk of this forum yet they're still considered Irish reps.

well yes I would say the same for the players in question and I wouldn't consider them Irish reps yet. Would you say Stephen Archer is an Ireland player because he trained with the squad?

well yes I would say the same for the players in question and I wouldn't consider them Irish reps yet. Would you say Stephen Archer is an Ireland player because he trained with the squad?

Hear hear

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

The reps thing is only so important in a thread about the senior cup. The same schools, michaels in particular, seem to have huge amiunt of reps every year. 3 years ago michaels team had far more reps than cwc, yet cwc beat them out the gate. Following year similar story.

In my own year alone, kh and newbridge had more players involved with leinster than we had, yet we hammered them both. Could the people who have gone to watch schools play give there opinions on teams and let us not have people giving an opinion based on hearsay or based on the fact that they have so many rep players. Would give people with a passing interest a lot more info than having them troll through the thread.

easy peasy wrote: »
    The reps thing is only so important in a thread about the senior cup. The same schools, michaels in particular, seem to have huge amiunt of reps every year. 3 years ago michaels team had far more reps than cwc, yet cwc beat them out the gate. Following year similar story.

In my own year alone, kh and newbridge had more players involved with leinster than we had, yet we hammered them both. Could the people who have gone to watch schools play give there opinions on teams and let us not have people giving an opinion based on hearsay or based on the fact that they have so many rep players. Would give people with a passing interest a lot more info than having them troll through the thread.

hear hear

Also any chance the moderators could keep an eye on posters who come on here just to big up their own school and insult us frequent posters who are actually genuinely interested in this thread and have intelligent things to say?

Also any chance the moderators could keep an eye on posters who come on here just to big up their own school and insult us frequent posters who are actually genuinely interested in this thread and have intelligent things to say?

couldn't have put it better myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Use the report button if you have any queries and we will look at it. Generally these posters pop up when we may not be actively reading the forum so reporting the posts helps bring it to our attention a lot quicker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Oldboy 92

Ok gent's! Let's get back on track and put a little bit of realism on the table. If schools have injuries and are only playing certain players in certain games, then so be it. However we all know come the opening round of the Cup they will put their strongest 15 on the field! So... Terenure's strongest 15 v Belvederes's strongest 15, should be a win for Terenure. Lets move the thread along now and get some quality insight into what really promises to be a cracking Senior Cup. For what its worth I predict a Nure win, with Michaels their biggest danger, the remainder are going to be competitive as usual, but these two stand out!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BigmanSCT13

Anything on newbridge this year? Apparently they have a good few reps anyway. Big fan of senior cup and went to see newbridge in the semi final v Roscrea could of won that day but they do look sharp on the ball! Don't write them off! The team is made up of a junior cup final team and semi finalist team

Anything on newbridge this year? Apparently they have a good few reps anyway. Big fan of senior cup and went to see newbridge in the semi final v Roscrea could of won that day but they do look sharp on the ball! Don't write them off! The team is made up of a junior cup final team and semi finalist team

that JCT from 2011 really should've made the final,bottled a 20 or so point lead if I remember with Michaels scoring in the last play,some handy players. Think they only have one rep by the way,Hugh O'Donnell,one big unit,but correct me if I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BigmanSCT13

that JCT from 2011 really should've made the final,bottled a 20 or so point lead if I remember with Michaels scoring in the last play,some handy players. Think they only have one rep by the way,Hugh O'Donnell,one big unit,but correct me if I'm wrong

No they got Bryan Hayden and charle ryan Leinster 19 mark sutton Hugh and Jonathan phelan all 18s and a Connacht u19s scrum half

Any friendly results from yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 brennanhuff

easy peasy wrote: »

i have been told that michaels huge amount of reps is partly due to their representation on the underage leinster coaching staff laehy, mcwilliams etc. You'll find that clongowes, rock and nure would all have players just as capable of playing at interpros level. i also wouldnt take much notice of the interpros when it comes to rock due to these rumours that until this summer their players were not allowed to play interpros by their school

• Registered Users Posts: 9 brennanhuff

When I said 13, I meant Marks.
    He played 15 in the league final but was 13 in most games so far this year.

Caslin is not a below average player, he was just out of position the last day. He's normally a winger.
    ok sorry my mistake i was judging him on his performance at 13. still seems to have poor footwork though, dont think he will cause blackrock any problems especially now that they have sean coughlan on the wing

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AhLeaveItOuh

Blackrock have jumped up to second in the poll. I still feel its very even between them, CWC and Michaels though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Blackrock have jumped up to second in the poll. I still feel its very even between them, CWC and Michaels though

No Terenure??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 AhLeaveItOuh

its_phil wrote: »
    No Terenure??
    apologies I meant for the second favourites spot, think its undeniable that Terenure will be the team to beat

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RugbyMan10

I wouldn't really pay too much notice to the pole to be honest. I mean 47 votes for 'Other' is hardly a true reflection of the likely winners. It's mainly people voting for their school rather then who they think will win it.

Also, I don't see why Michael's are being so underrated? Considering all current senior years have made it to a Jct final and the amount of reps they have they also have the some experience of winning a senior cup from last year. Clongowes on the other hand have a poor crop of 6th years for their standards(as have Blackrock) and none of the current senior years even made it to a final of the junior cup yet they are being hyped up as much as Michael's? In my opinion it is a year to early for Rock!

RugbyMan10 wrote: »
    I wouldn't really pay too much notice to the pole to be honest. I mean 47 votes for 'Other' is hardly a true reflection of the likely winners. It's mainly people voting for their school rather then who they think will win it.

Also, I don't see why Michael's are being so underrated? Considering all current senior years have made it to a Jct final and the amount of reps they have they also have the some experience of winning a senior cup from last year. Clongowes on the other hand have a poor crop of 6th years for their standards(as have Blackrock) and none of the current senior years even made it to a final of the junior cup yet they are being hyped up as much as Michael's? In my opinion it is a year to early for Rock!

At the start of the season I would have considered them favourites. But they have had alot of injuries apparently and their friendly form has been patchy. Even still I would have them only just behind Terenure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Woody1997

RugbyMan10 wrote: »

I can understand our feeling that it is a year too early for rock, especially with a team like Terenure in the competition but I dont think you can call this years sixth years a weak crop of players, there are numerous interpros (well the ones that were allowed) and many of them have experience on last years team. However I agree that the rock team next year looks like it could be brilliant, junior cup winners, some incredibly talented players, many of whom are gaining valuable experience in the senior set-up this year( whether on the sct or in the training panel.)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Leinster5

At the start of the season I would have considered them favourites. But they have had alot of injuries apparently and their friendly form has been patchy. Even still I would have them only just behind Terenure.

Why does everyone think St. Michaels have had a poor pre-season ? If you take their 2 losses to Blackrock & St. Mary's with injury ravaged sides out of the occasion, they've won all their other games against good sides, including a Terenure side that was only missing 4 players while Michaels were probably missing a few more. Also, after watching Clongowes vs Pres Bray the other week, I can safely say that this Clongowes side won't be winning the cup.

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Why does everyone think St. Michaels have had a poor pre-season ? If you take their 2 losses to Blackrock & St. Mary's with injury ravaged sides out of the occasion, they've won all their other games against good sides, including a Terenure side that was only missing 4 players while Michaels were probably missing a few more. Also, after watching Clongowes vs Pres Bray the other week, I can safely say that this Clongowes side won't be winning the cup.

Its because they haven't really run up a big score against anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Its because they haven't really run up a big score against anyone.

True though that is I think it's working out quite well for Michael's. The uneasy title of favourites is resting with Terenure but Michael's have shown they're very much in with a chance of taking this cup. The pre-season results have been a little all over the place for everyone but I think when it comes to crunch time Michael's and Terenure will win games easily until they eventually meet (hopefully the final).

True though that is I think it's working out quite well for Michael's. The uneasy title of favourites is resting with Terenure but Michael's have shown they're very much in with a chance of taking this cup. The pre-season results have been a little all over the place for everyone but I think when it comes to crunch time Michael's and Terenure will win games easily until they eventually meet (hopefully the final).
    Dont think title of favourite is resting uneasy on nure. There is several strong teams this year with Nure and Michaels the top 2 on the season so far with Clongowes, Roscrea next best.
    lads why ye refer to months and months of games as "pre season". IMO its things like that that makes me believe the structure of the cup needs changing. are the cup games the only "in season" games?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

ormond lad wrote: »
    Dont think title of favourite is resting uneasy on nure. There is several strong teams this year with Nure and Michaels the top 2 on the season so far with Clongowes, Roscrea next best.
    lads why ye refer to months and months of games as "pre season". IMO its things like that that makes me believe the structure of the cup needs changing. are the cup games the only "in season" games?

Well it's only really 6 schools that have this pre-season anyway. Everyone else plays some form of league competition. AFAIK if the big 6 wanted they could join the league. I think the current system works fine tbh. Any schoolboy rugby player will tell you that there's something special about running out knowing that it's do or die. No feeling quite like it.

The "big 6" schools play other big schools from around Ireland and often abroad. I think its a great idea as an alternative to the League that the other schools are a part of.

Great advertisements for Leinster Rugby and schoolboy rugby in Ireland when they go abroad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 HRB

Totally agree. If they introduce a back door type system like Munster why would schools bother putting out there strongest 15. It would also just increase the chances of the bigger teams winning.

• Advertisement

Well it's only really 6 schools that have this pre-season anyway. Everyone else plays some form of league competition. AFAIK if the big 6 wanted they could join the league. I think the current system works fine tbh. Any schoolboy rugby player will tell you that there's something special about running out knowing that it's do or die. No feeling quite like it.

I doubt that they'd be allowed join the League, if they all requested to be put into the League I'd say they'd be put into their own Round Robin kinda league.

They will say that i know but its ridiculous that the hundreds of hours of work are all aimed at the 70mins of the 1st round in the cup. Half the kids who play in the cup are out after round 1 which is ridiculous

IMO the top 16 schools in Leinster should be in 4 groups get 3 games. this could be played post xmas
    Schools could play schools from other provinces etc pre xmas. Everyone wins, more games for everyone. depending on format every(or virtually every) game could be do or die.
    Sorry for bringing thread slightly OT

Any other results from this weekend
    Crescent Comp beat Garryowens u19 side 10-6 today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Since when did Rock overtake Michaels in the pecking order?Yes some of their results have been hit and miss but come cup time,with everyone fit and firing,Michaels will be very hard to stop.Last year they were written off after a poor 1st round showing and now its the same this year after only a few friendlies.This will suit them down to the ground.I'd still only have Terenure slightly ahead them as favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sharkzap

A little out of the blue but has anyone any idea when Paddy Power and the rest of them release their odds?

Also, sorry for breaking up the conversation a little but is there a clear favourite for the juniors? Wouldn't mind putting a few shillings on a Junior/Senior outright winner bet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Sharkzap wrote: »
    A little out of the blue but has anyone any idea when Paddy Power and the rest of them release their odds?

Also, sorry for breaking up the conversation a little but is there a clear favourite for the juniors? Wouldn't mind putting a few shillings on a Junior/Senior outright winner bet!
    AFAIK the J's is between Rock,Belvo and Michaels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

funtime93 wrote: »
    Since when did Rock overtake Michaels in the pecking order?Yes some of their results have been hit and miss but come cup time,with everyone fit and firing,Michaels will be very hard to stop.Last year they were written off after a poor 1st round showing and now its the same this year after only a few friendlies.This will suit them down to the ground.I'd still only have Terenure slightly ahead them as favourites.

If you are seriously taking a poll on the internet as Gospel then I'd worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Leinster5 wrote: »

Injury ravaged? Bit melodramatic no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sharkzap

funtime93 wrote: »
    AFAIK the J's is between Rock,Belvo and Michaels.

The usual suspects. Thanks for that

Injury ravaged? Bit melodramatic no?

In a school with Michaels's depth I'd hardly call 5 or so squad injuries ravaging. The have so many good players they can still compete very well

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ar_14

In a school with Michaels's depth I'd hardly call 5 or so squad injuries ravaging. The have so many good players they can still compete very well

Except for the fact that there was 20 squad injuries in 'Michaels at one point. Also, 'Michaels dont have the strength in depth that Belvo or Rock should have. Only 95 per year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement