Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Ar_14 wrote: »
    Except for the fact that there was 20 squad injuries in 'Michaels at one point. Also, 'Michaels dont have the strength in depth that Belvo or Rock should have. Only 95 per year.

20 squad injuries? What are they doing to them over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Except for the fact that there was 20 squad injuries in 'Michaels at one point. Also, 'Michaels dont have the strength in depth that Belvo or Rock should have. Only 95 per year.

There's barely 150 in Roscrea altogether

Top tier school problems, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 HRB

Theres only 15 out on the pitch at any one time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Podhod7

Sharkzap wrote: »
    A little out of the blue but has anyone any idea when Paddy Power and the rest of them release their odds?

Also, sorry for breaking up the conversation a little but is there a clear favourite for the juniors? Wouldn't mind putting a few shillings on a Junior/Senior outright winner bet!

I was told by Paddy Power the odds for Senior Cup would be up on the site mid-Janurary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 brennanhuff

Injury ravaged? Bit melodramatic no?
    i dont know about marys but against blackrock they were missing max 4 players, where blackrock were missing missing 2 themselves

20 squad injuries is a poor excuse when i bet the majority of that 20 wont be near the team come cup time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

i dont know about marys but against blackrock they were missing max 4 players, where blackrock were missing missing 2 themselves

My point exactly not much of a difference.

• Site Banned Posts: 157 ✭✭yougottagoboy

So you're saying at one point the Michaels SCT consisted of 10 of the Senior 2nd XV and 5 3rds players?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭FatFosi12

20 injuries? That sounds very exaggerated to me, if you can name all 20 players that were injured I'd be more inclined to believe you and then as brennanhuff says, very unlikely that these guys will be near the fold come cup time, or the majority of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Leinster5

FatFosi12 wrote: »
    20 injuries? That sounds very exaggerated to me, if you can name all 20 players that were injured I'd be more inclined to believe you and then as brennanhuff says, very unlikely that these guys will be near the fold come cup time, or the majority of them.
    I heard about this as well. Had to cancel 2 fixtures I believe because of it. Even for the Blackrock game, Michaels had their 4th and 5th choice Props playing. You wonder if we'll ever see St. Michaels' full strength team this year.

Why does this always seem to happen to Michaels though? Every year its the same! All season, they're always going to have an excuse that they were missing certain players through injury.

Then again, come cuptime they're a serious force! Just a very strange situation down there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ar_14

Lads, I said 20 SQUAD injuries. Thats what I was told and wasn't the only one. Listen to Leinster5.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ar_14

its_phil wrote: »

There's barely 150 in Roscrea altogether

Top tier school problems, eh?

Not necessarily a problem for Michaels but it is for the likes of Roscrea. All I said was that the likes of Gonzaga and Michaels have half the students that Rock and Belvo have.

Well if they have carried that many injuries you have to wonder how they will get on come cup time considering their first choice fifteen wont have played together which will make them even longer shots to go the whole way. Be interesting to see what price the bookies have them at.

• Advertisement

Lads, I said 20 SQUAD injuries. Thats what I was told and wasn't the only one. Listen to Leinster5.
    Quint2010 wrote: »
    Well if they have carried that many injuries you have to wonder how they will get on come cup time considering their first choice fifteen wont have played together which will make them even longer shots to go the whole way. Be interesting to see what price the bookies have them at.

Michaels always have a squad of roughly 40 anyway.
    I've found in recent years the bookies haven't a clue what's going on,always just out the big six with the lowest odds

Anyone know who was playing scrumhalf for Rock seniors against Andrews recently? My friend was at the game and said he was the smallest player at Senior level he's ever seen.

Anyone know who was playing scrumhalf for Rock seniors against Andrews recently? My friend was at the game and said he was the smallest player at Senior level he's ever seen.

Charlie Rock is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 countrychap

Yeah Deacon and Foot were both with the Leinster 20s this summer,now plying their trade with Lansdowne 21s. Both great players. Yeah all those three lads have played rep,flanker Michael Triggs as well.
    kilkenny back are not bad, but I am told they have not played well keep dropping balls wrong choice of pass. Triggs is one of the best flankers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Tristan Brady

• Advertisement

What was the score? Presume 'Rock won?

Hagz wrote: »
    Tristan Brady

Yeah thought it wouldn't have been Rock, even though he is quite small himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

20-12 to Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Enigma625

I've found in recent years the bookies haven't a clue what's going on,always just out the big six with the lowest odds

this opinion wouldnt happen to have anything to do with the fact that zaga always end up with the dogs odds would it?
    correct me if im wrong here but they've never gotten further than a quarter final isnt that right?
    Ive always found the odds that paddy power offer to be quite accurate anyway, even right down past the big 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dmurphy101

Brady something might be a 4th i was talking to the terenure coach at a coaching session in donnybrook apparently he is the next peter stringer. very slow around the park but an extremely good pass. apparently he is a chain smocker though the coach was saying which cant help his chance

Enigma625 wrote: »
    this opinion wouldnt happen to have anything to do with the fact that zaga always end up with the dogs odds would it?
    correct me if im wrong here but they've never gotten further than a quarter final isnt that right?
    Ive always found the odds that paddy power offer to be quite accurate anyway, even right down past the big 6.

It's not just Gonzaga? They throw nearly everyone apart from the big 6 at a lottery between 33, 50, 66 and 100-1. The bookies have no idea how well the smaller schools might do.

It's not just Gonzaga? They throw nearly everyone apart from the big 6 at a lottery between 33, 50, 66 and 100-1. The bookies have no idea how well the smaller schools might do.

Yes but they normally only offer outright winner odds and only one school outside the top 6 has even got to a final in the past 13 years.

Yes but they normally only offer outright winner odds and only one school outside the top 6 has even got to a final in the past 13 years.

Yeah but we're also talking about schools like Gerards and Kilkenny that'll throw in an upset every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lad95

kilkenny back are not bad, but I am told they have not played well keep dropping balls wrong choice of pass. Triggs is one of the best flankers

Ye i seen them play monkstown a while ago in a league group stage, they seemed like they werent really interested in the first half but then came to life in the second half and the back line when they get it right can be dangerous, nearly snatched the game at the end. But mistakes like you said of dropping the ball and what not, wont make them much of a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 The roast

Ye it is Tristan Brady. He has been injured since third year rugby with a horrible knee injury and it stunted his growth. apparently with his spare time he went to the gym and has a seriously strong upper body and worked on his pass which is now one of the best i have seen. the only thing is that with the knee injury he isnt the quickest around the park but with his strong upper body he can make his small presence felt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Leinster5

Last year I'm pretty sure they only played their "full 15" in the Final. Always seems to be case with the lads from Ailesbury Road. To say it's a good or bad thing remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Enigma625

Yeah but we're also talking about schools like Gerards and Kilkenny that'll throw in an upset every year.

Just think about it like this, what are the odds that clongowes, michaels, blackrock and terenure all bottle the cup this year? Id say at least 100/1.

As far as i can see, the only reason you dont see every other team outside of the big 6 (with the exception of maybe 1 team every year from an outsider school) each with odds upwards of 100/1, is that they look to cultivate the notion that other schools have a look in, to encourage the students/alumni/parents of players from the big league schools like kilkenny, gerrards etc to keep putting the loyalty fiver on their team every year, when in fact the bookie is going home at night safe in the knowledge that theyre never paying out for these bets because the chances of the big 6 all choking in any single given year are incredibly low.

Anyway this is off topic i think, appologies :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Who is first choice scrumhalf for Terenure at the moment? Is it Tim Schmidt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BigmanSCT13

Anyone think the pressure will get too Michaels rock and nure.??.. Anything can happen on the day an underdog team could produce something special...

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

Anyone have the score from the clongowes game against leinster youths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Bookies are very good at making money and the odds they've been giving since I started following schools rugby have yet to let them down.

Wattle wrote: »
    Who is first choice scrumhalf for Terenure at the moment? Is it Tim Schmidt?

Not sure. They have both scrum halves from last year (Schmidt and Conor Weakliam) plus Gary Clarkin who was injured battling it out for the 9 jersey.

Enigma625 wrote: »

I wasn't in Gonzaga?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Not sure. They have both scrum halves from last year (Schmidt and Conor Weakliam) plus Gary Clarkin who was injured battling it out for the 9 jersey.
    IMO Clarkin should start with Schmidt at fullback and Dardis at 10 but they wont play it like that.

• Advertisement

funtime93 wrote: »
    IMO Clarkin should start with Schmidt at fullback and Dardis at 10 but they wont play it like that.

No don't think they will be moving Dardis from full back any time soon. Besides-if O'Neill can fill in for the Leinster U19's at OH he can definitely play there for Terenure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Weakliam has been playing on the wing as far as I know.

wouldn't go moving Dardis from fullback,Schmidt should start though. What is the backline at the moment?

wouldn't go moving Dardis from fullback,Schmidt should start though. What is the backline at the moment?

I think the backline in the cup will be:

Dardis, Madigan, Carroll, Brewer, O'Brien, O'Neill and either Schmidt or Clarkin at SH.

Weakliam has been playing on the wing indeed so he'll be on the bench I'd say as cover for both wing and scrumhalf.

Weakliam has been playing on the wing indeed so he'll be on the bench I'd say as cover for both wing and scrumhalf.

Maybe as wing cover he will although he hasn't even started many games for the firsts on the wing. Schmidt is more likely to cover the back 3 if he doesn't claim the 9 shirt.

• Advertisement

I think the backline in the cup will be:

Dardis, Madigan, Carroll, Brewer, O'Brien, O'Neill and either Schmidt or Clarkin at SH.

what are 11 and 13 like? Haven't heard of them

Pretty sure Carroll was winger last year?

I'm mistaken, Bagnall and O'Brien were the wingers last year.

11 is Tom O'Brien. Played left wing last year and scored the first try in the semi against Clongowes

No Carroll didn't play last year. Pretty sure he's sixth year though.

funtime93 wrote: »
    why would they not leave O' Neill at ten? granted he's fit. Also I dont think Dardis would be good at 10 as he is only at his best outside Brewer who creates space for him, together they are a one trick pony if you ask me, shut down brewer and you shut down dardis. Also is Schmidt not a bit small to be at 15? even if he does have the pace?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement