Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

why would they not leave O' Neill at ten? granted he's fit. Also I dont think Dardis would be good at 10 as he is only at his best outside Brewer who creates space for him, together they are a one trick pony if you ask me, shut down brewer and you shut down dardis. Also is Schmidt not a bit small to be at 15? even if he does have the pace?

Seriously? Have you seen Dardis play this year? He doesn't need anyone to create space for him-he could beat three men in a telephone box.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 breffnimartin1

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Yes but they normally only offer outright winner odds and only one school outside the top 6 has even got to a final in the past 13 years.

I wonder if a pools format would work better, four pools of five, eliminate the bottom four after home and away matches, and knockout for the last 16. This would give a lot more players exposure to all levels and could reveal some hidden talent; it would also mean at least eight or nine matches for most teams in autumn term?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭FatFosi12

why would they not leave O' Neill at ten? granted he's fit. Also I dont think Dardis would be good at 10 as he is only at his best outside Brewer who creates space for him, together they are a one trick pony if you ask me, shut down brewer and you shut down dardis. Also is Schmidt not a bit small to be at 15? even if he does have the pace?

O'Neill is a far better centre than he is an outhalf. But he's still a quality operator in the 10 jersey. But I think a partnership of Brewer and O'Neill would be a very good choice, with either Dardis or Clarkin at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Enigma625

I wasn't in Gonzaga?

well from the knowledge you have of their side as well as the amount that you've had to say about the quality of the players, i hope you wont blame me for assuming some connection to the school..

Enigma625 wrote: »
    well from the knowledge you have of their side as well as the amount that you've had to say about the quality of the players, i hope you wont blame me for assuming some connection to the school..

Why would you assume he's lying? It hardly matters anyway but if he says he wasn't in it then it should be left at that. Back to rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ar_14

Anyone think the pressure will get too Michaels rock and nure.??.. Anything can happen on the day an underdog team could produce something special...

I don't think so. Especially with the combined experience in Leinster cup games that these schools have over the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Not sure. They have both scrum halves from last year (Schmidt and Conor Weakliam) plus Gary Clarkin who was injured battling it out for the 9 jersey.

Clarkin was excellent in the 2010 Junior final scored two tries. I guess Nure just have an abundance of talented backs.

• Site Banned Posts: 157 ✭✭yougottagoboy

FatFosi12 wrote: »
    Why would you assume he's lying? It hardly matters anyway but if he says he wasn't in it then it should be left at that. Back to rugby.

I happen to live in the area and have some free time on wednesday afternoon in which I choose to indulge in my interest of schools rugby at the local establishment and I attend the home games when I can. I am a friendly sort of individual and enjoy making friends on the sidelines and expanding my already vast schools rugby knowledge. As for the amount I have to say about the quality of their players I was merely expressing my opinion about their halfbacks in particular who seemed to be written off by some here because they didn't attend a top school. Subsequent to this rebuttal of mine I intend to return all posts to purely rugby related matters. I appreciate FatFosi sticking up for me as I was incommunicado per se and didn't see this until now. Thank you and good day Enigma,back to Bletchley Park with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

Jcarroll07 wrote: »
    heard clongowes beat them well but I hear its the clongowes 3rds you want to look out for beating all teams around them by a mile!

That'll mean clongowes have a strong 5th year so. Only won that competition for the first time in '09. Team was packed with lads who won the cup the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 brennanhuff

Seriously? Have you seen Dardis play this year? He doesn't need anyone to create space for him-he could beat three men in a telephone box.
    yes but brewer also draws in at least two defenders nearly every time which allows Dardis to do his thing, not disputing he's a top class player im just saying he is better when playing outside brewer

• Advertisement

yes but brewer also draws in at least two defenders nearly every time which allows Dardis to do his thing, not disputing he's a top class player im just saying he is better when playing outside brewer

Possibly. Have seen him make and score numerous tries on his own too though. Hopefully neither of them gets injured..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 brennanhuff

Possibly. Have seen him make and score numerous tries on his own too though. Hopefully neither of them gets injured..
    for nures sake anyway, somehow i dont think the other schools would be devastated by the news if one of them was out of action

That gerards pres rematch is tonight at 7:30 at greystones, not friday...

have nure any games over the xmas break? Id like to suss them out for myself

They are playing Pres Cork on the 29th away. However I'd say alot of players will be away in the Ireland Schools training camp so might be a second string outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dazzler454

By all accounts the Conleths SCT team this year have an Argentinian front row weighing in at around 135kg. Apparently however there are some issues with his legitimacy in this country so not so sure how long he will be around for. one to look out for anyway in the category B league

Im not so sure if they do. They have planned a 10 day trip to Polish ice baths apparently so as to prevent injury over the hectic cup campaign. Think this is taking place over the Chrsitmas break but not too sure

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

They are playing Pres Cork on the 29th away. However I'd say alot of players will be away in the Ireland Schools training camp so might be a second string outfit.
    They are also playing munchins on the 6th Jan but that is away aswell

Any ideas on Roscrea this year? I've heard many things about a supposed 100+kg centre? Anyone confirm this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Gd194

dazzler454 wrote: »
    Any ideas on Roscrea this year? I've heard many things about a supposed 100+kg centre? Anyone confirm this?

its true. i heard they have 5 internationsals.. very little talk of them in this years thread but they work best as underdogs as we saw in the 10/11 season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

any more "gossip" in relation to any player that isn't related to on the field play will be a straight 2 week ban at the least

• Registered Users Posts: 43 AndrewHoey2012

Anybody have any information on the loosehead belvo have coming back from injury? Iarlaith Forkin I believe is his name? Dubbed to be the best thing to come out of belvo since Cian Healey? Hear he can clean lines like a man possessed.

Anybody have any information on the loosehead belvo have coming back from injury? Iarlaith Forkin I believe is his name? Dubbed to be the best thing to come out of belvo since Cian Healey? Hear he can clean lines like a man possessed.

The two props I heard about from Belvo are Ivan something and Stephen something, apparently two huge lads. My friends trains at the same gym as them, says one of them is nicknamed "Quadzilla". Havent heard of him playing or anything though, and hasn't been involved in rep before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RuggerLad222

None of what AndrewHoey2012 is 'Gossip', The two props for Belvo are Stephen McDonnell and Ivan Soroka (Originally from Ukraine). I'm a past pupil of belvo myself and am good friends with them, if you don't believe me heres a picture of Stephen McDonnell https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3645081732651&set=a.1374105399662.2046105.1442614464&type=1&permPage=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

The two props I heard about from Belvo are Ivan something and Stephen something, apparently two huge lads. My friends trains at the same gym as them, says one of them is nicknamed "Quadzilla". Havent heard of him playing or anything though, and hasn't been involved in rep before this.

Nice nickname in fairness. One of Marys props is I'm told simply known as "The Brick" another is a nasty looking lad missing a tooth called "Mad Mannion" props?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Dazzler has been banned and posts removed

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RugbyMan10

that would be Ivan the hooker. Huge legs! Stephen McDonnell isnt very tall but is very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Younger

RugbyMan10 wrote: »
    that would be Ivan the hooker. Huge legs! Stephen McDonnell isnt very tall but is very strong.

He's Ivan the prop these days. Playing very well.

Pres beat Gerards 10 - 7 at Greystones last night in a tight match - a few clips here, i'll put up some more later: http://www.youtube.com/user/breffnimartin

Gerards are qualifier 2 and will meet Clongowes in draw...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RugbyMan10

Younger wrote: »
    He's Ivan the prop these days. Playing very well.

Apologies I heard he had played prop a few times this year but thought he'd moved back. I would agree with you probably one of Belvedere's best this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Pres beat Gerards 10 - 7 at Greystones last night in a tight match - a few clips here, i'll put up some more later: http://www.youtube.com/user/breffnimartin

Gerards are qualifier 2 and will meet Clongowes in draw...

It's the weakest Clongowes outfit since '09 if ever there was a time for someone to take them.....

It's the weakest Clongowes outfit since '09 if ever there was a time for someone to take them.....

full pres gerards deby + clongowes pres matches here: http://www.youtube.com/user/breffnimartin

personally i've no idea what the full clongowes team is like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

full pres gerards deby + clongowes pres matches here: http://www.youtube.com/user/breffnimartin

personally i've no idea what the full clongowes team is like...

Good work Breffni- I would have liked to get to that match but couldnt on the night.

Great idea to bill what was essentially a meaningless friendly as a "local derby" under lights -it looked like a huge crowd in a festive mood. In terms of the standard of play, it didnt look very good - so many lineout losses especially. Conditions were probably tough were they?

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Good work Breffni- I would have liked to get to that match but couldnt on the night.

Great idea to bill what was essentially a meaningless friendly as a "local derby" under lights -it looked like a huge crowd in a festive mood. In terms of the standard of play, it didnt look very good - so many lineout losses especially. Conditions were probably tough were they?

A few photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/breffni/sets/72157632296048520/

Yep, a large lively crowd and great effort from both sides, Hubie in good form. Play very scrappy, error laden. The fact that Gerards failed to score from so many good positions would be a worry faced with Clongowes, but also testimony to Pres defense. Pres have a decent back row and back line but scrumhalf being overwhelmed resulting in poor ball a problem. Can't understand the lineout issue - apparently works fine in practice - maybe nerves. Nothing that can't be drilled out - I think they'll give Kilkenny a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭TheTalk

Everyone sems to be underrating clongowes big time this year. Lets not forget they have sebastian fromm who is every bit as good as brewer if not better. And a new outhalf in cleary who is again just as good as oneill/mckeown/byrne. No-one knows much about these guys and they could give every team in the cup a run for there money.

TheTalk wrote: »
    Everyone sems to be underrating clongowes big time this year. Lets not forget they have sebastian fromm who is every bit as good as brewer if not better. And a new outhalf in cleary who is again just as good as oneill/mckeown/byrne. No-one knows much about these guys and they could give every team in the cup a run for there money.

Is that Fergal Cleary who played centre for Leinster earlier this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Is that Fergal Cleary who played centre for Leinster earlier this year?
    I imagine it would be. He played quite a bit in navan rfc u15/17 at 10 and last year he played at 10 for the leinster youths

ormond lad wrote: »
    I imagine it would be. He played quite a bit in navan rfc u15/17 at 10 and last year he played at 10 for the leinster youths

He's a very good centre but don't think he's as good a 10 as Ross Byrne though.

Id like to wish all fellow schools rugby enthusiasts a happy Christmas and the very best for the new year,heres to a fantastic cup! xxx

I've heard some really good things about cleary, he's meant to have it all pace power and tekkers. But byrne is quality although cleary is still only in 5th year. Byrne kicks at the highest level possible and has balls of steel.

• Advertisement

Terenure will win it though no arguments. Brewer deserves the hype, he's sick but should play 8. Dardis should play 10. But it shows there versatility. CWC coaches need to pick the best team as max McFarland not starting in 5th year in 2011 was criminal. Apparently he repeated 5th year and if he didn't we wouldn't have seen a quality player in the most recent cup. Michaels are great team collectively but have no individual stars. Believe me if Fromm was Irish and lived for Ireland you world all be talking about him, in the same light as brewer and dardis

I've heard some really good things about cleary, he's meant to have it all pace power and tekkers. But byrne is quality although cleary is still only in 5th year. Byrne kicks at the highest level possible and has balls of steel.
    Terenure will win it though no arguments. Brewer deserves the hype, he's sick but should play 8. Dardis should play 10. But it shows there versatility. CWC coaches need to pick the best team as max McFarland not starting in 5th year in 2011 was criminal. Apparently he repeated 5th year and if he didn't we wouldn't have seen a quality player in the most recent cup. Michaels are great team collectively but have no individual stars. Believe me if Fromm was Irish and lived for Ireland you world all be talking about him, in the same light as brewer and dardis

think Byrne is in 6th year. I think Dardis's best position is 15,you want to give him a chance to come into the line and counterattack,thats what he's best at. Nure have a handy pack anyway id leave brewer in the centre he suits is well. and did you not just say Byrne is quality?

When I mean stars I mean the type if player who will go straight on to the leinster academy and represent leinster or Ireland professionally

By the way cwc have cian o'donague and cillian Burke two players to watch out for who are still in 5th year. Which players do people think are going straight to the leinster academy after this cup?

id say they'll take 2 or possibly 3 in not sure who though

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

When I mean stars I mean the type if player who will go straight on to the leinster academy and represent leinster or Ireland professionally

You see these threads are always a mine field because it usually the player's friends or the player's themselves posting in it.

From what I've heard Dardis is the best of the bunch. I asked a friend about Brewer and he said he was very good but not ' the next d'arcy/o'driscoll good'

Higher wrote: »
    You see these threads are always a mine field because it usually the player's friends or the player's themselves posting in it.

From what I've heard Dardis is the best of the bunch. I asked a friend about Brewer and he said he was very good but not ' the next d'arcy/o'driscoll good'

Would agree with this although Brewer is a different type of player than either of those two-he is already a big physical specimen with a brilliant sidestep and swerve and is a superb passer. But he is no speed merchant which may prevent him from playing at a higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Enigma625

Agreed that they are a quality breed, and definitely contenders albeit 4th favorites this year in my opinion (with tight enough margins separating each of the obvious top 4, who are miles ahead of the chasing pack IMO). Id have to agree though that when you look to the quality squads coming out of clongowes in the last few years, i wouldnt rate this years bunch in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Agreed that they are a quality breed, and definitely contenders albeit 4th favorites this year in my opinion (with tight enough margins separating each of the obvious top 4, who are miles ahead of the chasing pack IMO). Id have to agree though that when you look to the quality squads coming out of clongowes in the last few years, i wouldnt rate this years bunch in comparison.

Oh yeah Terenure, Michaels, Rock and Clongowes are clearly miles ahead of everyone and close together.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The difference between clongowes this year and last year is the sheer quality of the front row. backs this year are as good as last year. Apparently they have a winger who's in top form and could be someone to watch out for.
    It seems last year all the best players in the cup were forwards but it seems this generation the best players in the cup are backs. This could lead to more entertaining rugby possibly? Believe me, Brewer is fast!
    Gonzaga have top quality half backs and have their best team in a long while, castleknock are qualtity as so are roscrea and even Mary's are dark horses! I don't think the top 4 are miles ahead of everybody! This is going to be a quality cup and we should appreciate the fact that we won't get a cup with so many quality teams in a long time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement