Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Laird wrote: »
    They are the latest odds quoted at 4pm today.
    There is no way one would get Terenure at 9/4,
    some bet if youcould get those odds.

Well they are now 19/8 so fill your boots! 'Michaels have come in to 13/3 along with 'Rock.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

I thought Michaels were meant to be the second best team? Thats what I was informed anyway. I've also heard Castleknock are surprisingly good this year???

If Castleknock are 35/1 I might take a punt. Do they not have 4 Irish internationals on their team?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

Does anyone know what Roscrea and Kilkenny are like this year, I have noticed a serious improvement in the level of schools outside of Dublin in recent years and am wondering does the trend continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mano14

The very fact that the "Others" combined are polling in place at 24% shows there should be more choices - it's not as if there's 100 schools to list!!

My only other contribution (I was there in '76) is C'MON C.B.C. !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

SpermDoner wrote: »
    Clongowes at 7/1 is very generous, they would be in the 35/1 range for me

I think you mean they are short and therefore not generous at all. Situation is this though, CWC would probably beat 12 of the other 15 teams in the competition so fair enough odds for me. They are the best of the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Laird wrote: »
    Paddy Power latest cup odds.

Terenure 5/4, Rock 3/1, Michaels 5/1, Clongowes 7/1, Roscrea 10/1,

Marys 25/1, Belvo 25/1.

The rest 35/1 and upwards.

Mr. Power and his chums could stand to lose a lot of money with Michael's at those odds.....

And don't forget the open draws this year.. 35 to 1 or higher is well worth a punt on some of the "rank outsiders" Who is to say that an on-form dark horse can't win three matches in a row? Do that and you've the cup in your hand! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Leinster5

Mr. Power and his chums could stand to lose a lot of money with Michael's at those odds.....
    Feel ashamed to say this, but me along with 5 other Clongowes past pupils have stuck our money already on St. Michaels. Couldn't believe we got them at 4/1. Terenure at 11/8 is complete madness, considering their recent slump.

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Feel ashamed to say this, but me along with 5 other Clongowes past pupils have stuck our money already on St. Michaels. Couldn't believe we got them at 4/1. Terenure at 11/8 is complete madness, considering their recent slump.

I'll be hitting the bookies to put some cash on them too. Think the odds on Clongowes and Roscrea are far too short, but will certainly be putting a sly fiver on the 'Rock.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Sly tenner on rock for me. This BRewer mantra and nure will walk it is pure drivel.

• Advertisement

Leinster5 wrote: »

Ha I love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SpermDoner

easy peasy wrote: »
    I think you mean they are short and therefore not generous at all. Situation is this though, CWC would probably beat 12 of the other 15 teams in the competition so fair enough odds for me. They are the best of the rest.

Not judging by their pre season... Few players in the squad that can spark anything

• Site Banned Posts: 23 CDM001

Common Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oldboy 92

Understrength Pres beat CUS 25-10 on Friday in a 3 25 minute side training game - a few clips here: http://www.youtube.com/user/breffnimartin

Pres lads report that CUS filthiest team they've played so far (and Pres are no shrinking violets) - match finished in a brawl but all smiles and handshakes afterwards - CUS will struggle to beat Andrews in the vinnie murray on that performance.

The constant yelling of instructions at the ref from the CUS coach didn't help their cause!

Heard there was a massive brawl between Michaels and Pres Cork also! Wouldn't like to see this creeping into the game and be seen as some sort of macho bull.

Oldboy 92 wrote: »
    Heard there was a massive brawl between Michaels and Pres Cork also! Wouldn't like to see this creeping into the game and be seen as some sort of macho bull.

I didn't see a proper closed fist punch in schoolboy rugby until we hosted DLSC in 5th year and the punches were thrown after the game :pac:. Can't see that kind of carry on being tolerated at this level for too long...

What was it about DLSC that got your team so upset? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Andrew.cole

Wesley beat pres 9-8 today

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭gfitz95

Putting money on rock to win this year is madness in my opinion.They simply do not have the calibre of players across their 15 to beat Michaels nd Terenure.Next year my money will be on Rock but this year I can only see a two horse race.With probably Terenure prevailing.Hope the two teams are kept seperate until the final though.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 breffnimartin1

Wesley beat pres 9-8 today

watched the match - ill put up some video later. Pres were understrength playing an experimental set up with new scrum half - very error laden game in the cold but both sides giving their all in this pre cup friendly - always impressed by this....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Milkinitlarge6

I think mr Power knows what's he's doing tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

gfitz95 wrote: »
    Putting money on rock to win this year is madness in my opinion.They simply do not have the calibre of players across their 15 to beat Michaels nd Terenure.Next year my money will be on Rock but this year I can only see a two horse race.With probably Terenure prevailing.Hope the two teams are kept seperate until the final though.

I think there's 3 teams in it all capable on their day of beating each other. Michaels beat Terenure, Terenure beat Rock, Rock beat Michaels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I think there's 3 teams in it all capable on their day of beating each other. Michaels beat Terenure, Terenure beat Rock, Rock beat Michaels.
    Marys also beat Michaels so are they one of the favourites?Pre-season results mean nothing.

funtime93 wrote: »
    Marys also beat Michaels so are they one of the favourites?Pre-season results mean nothing.

Pre-season form, injuries, players back from last year, average age of the squad, results from junior cup 2/3 years ago, no of interprovincial reps. all go into determining who the pre-tournament favourites will be. So pre-season results do mean something but are only one of a number of factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

De La Salle are currently beating High School 10-5 in the Vinnie Murray Cup according to Twitter. Anybody know the score from the CUS v St Andrews game?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Legits

Score at half time was Andrews 6 CUS 0.
    CUS had alot of possesion and teretory but lacked a cutting edge.
    Andrews looked lively and if their pack can get the ball the backs will score.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

De La Salle beat High School 13-12 and St Andrews beat CUS 11-0

• Registered Users Posts: 44 breffnimartin1

I thought andrews would nail cus - gerards also beat templeogue about 17 - 3

an experimental understrength pres were beaten 9 - 8 by wesley at wesley in a friendly yesterday (http://www.youtube.com/user/breffnimartin)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

BDJW wrote: »
    De La Salle beat High School 13-12 and St Andrews beat CUS 11-0

Andrews have a pretty decent team I heard (from son)

When I played De la salle and high school were both tier 1 teams (long time ago ;-(

I think mr Power knows what's he's doing tbf

Not so sure he does...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SpermDoner

I know it's early days and the 2013 cup hasn't even begun, but the rumour is that St. Marys have 3 Samoan brothers coming into the school next year. One will be in 6th year who plays back-row and is 6 foot and 110 kg and is a rocket. The other 2 are twins that will be in 5th year both centre/wingers, around the same height but only in the early 90 kgs...

• Advertisement

funtime93 wrote: »

If pre season means nothing why would they bother having 5 months of it? It matters when some teams are going in with form behind them and others have been a little inconsistent in performance. As quint said it's only one of a few factors but to discard it entirely is utterly stupid.

Not so sure he does...

Do you know something other people don't?..The odds on a Terenure win seem quite generous compared to what Boyle Sports are offering..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Full Vinny Murray 1st round results from today:

CUS 0 v 11 St. Andrew’s College,
    The High School 12 v 13 De La Salle College Churchtown,
    St. Gerard’s School 48 v 3 Templeogue College,
    CBS Wexford 21 v 25 Skerries CC,
    Mount Temple 27 v 20 St. Patrick’s Classical Navan

Based on those results and looking at the draw, Gerards look certainties to come through to meet Clongowes. Andrews possibly favourites (over DLS and Wesley) for other qualifier spot to play Roscrea?

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Do you know something other people don't?..The odds on a Terenure win seem quite generous compared to what Boyle Sports are offering..

Nope no inside info but based on Paddy Power's odds as of 24 hours ago I think it's win-win for anyone looking to hedge bets on Michaels, Terenure (and Rock if they are so inclined) and at worst win back their stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GOKING69

Does anybody know the result between Kilkenny and Gonzaga this week??

Terenure playing at home to Methody tomorrow at 12 noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭clsmooth

SpermDoner wrote: »
    I know it's early days and the 2013 cup hasn't even begun, but the rumour is that St. Marys have 3 Samoan brothers coming into the school next year. One will be in 6th year who plays back-row and is 6 foot and 110 kg and is a rocket. The other 2 are twins that will be in 5th year both centre/wingers, around the same height but only in the early 90 kgs...

The next Tuilagis. I doubt it. Who are Mary's coaches btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 countrychap

GOKING69 wrote: »
    I heard kilkenny won

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 countrychap

Have been watching roscrea they are a team that can cause all team major problems. They are way ahead of some of the so call big six

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

clsmooth wrote: »
    The next Tuilagis. I doubt it. Who are Mary's coaches btw?

Hugh Hogan's Head Coach believe Vinny Hammond has some role as a consultant as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

GOKING69 wrote: »

Kilkenny gave a very under strength Gonzaga team a bit of a pasting.

Is there any betting on Junior Cup or is that not allowed? Wouldn't mind joining the two together I a bet

Methody beat Terenure 17-13. Very poor performance from Terenure. They were badly beaten up up front and all three of the Methody tries came from driving mauls from lineouts. Was speaking with a Methody guy and he said it was the exact same team thrashed by Blackrock last week. Can't see Terenure winning the cup on todays form.

I hear 'Michaels beat 'Munchins 14-8 and Blackrock beat CBC Cork 15-8.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Methody beat Terenure 17-13. Very poor performance from Terenure. They were badly beaten up up front and all three of the Methody tries came from driving mauls from lineouts. Was speaking with a Methody guy and he said it was the exact same team thrashed by Blackrock last week. Can't see Terenure winning the cup on todays form.

I hear 'Michaels beat 'Munchins 14-8.
    Going on todays performance from nure, what do you think needs to be done to improve them? the amount of penalties given away was shocking

I know Blackrock were without 5 or 6, were michaels and Terenure the same?

fox_1973 wrote: »
    Going on todays performance from nure, what do you think needs to be done to improve them? the amount of penalties given away was shocking

I really don't know to be honest? Think they missed Paddy Thornton badly-do you know why he wasn't playing? But other than him don't think there were many others missing? They were just badly overpowered up front. That Methody guy said that Terenure looked lightweight compared to Blackrock. Think Trenier needs to start at tight head as the scrum improved when he came on. Good to see Jody Carroll back too. And O'Neill took his try well. Dardis was excellent as usual but I thought Brewer was very poor. Might be a wake up call for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

I really don't know to be honest? Think they missed Paddy Thornton badly-do you know why he wasn't playing? But other than him don't think there were many others missing? They were just badly overpowered up front. That Methody guy said that Terenure looked lightweight compared to Blackrock. Think Trenier needs to start at tight head as the scrum improved when he came on. Good to see Jody Carroll back too. And O'Neill took his try well. Dardis was excellent as usual but I thought Brewer was very poor. Might be a wake up call for them.

Maybe this is the best thing to happen to Terenure ? It seems that they have felt they can coast through the season running teams over easily. I would imagine that this will make them take teams more seriously. I think the simple problem is that they are talked up way too much ?

Maybe this is the best thing to happen to Terenure ? It seems that they have felt they can coast through the season running teams over easily. I would imagine that this will make them take teams more seriously. I think the simple problem is that they are talked up way too much ?

It might be a good thing. It could also affect their confidence. Maybe they were over confident today after what 'Rock did to Methody. Personally I always think a tough close game-albeit a defeat-is always a good thing before the cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

The first thing I noticed was the pack size difference alright, not sure why Thornton wasn't playing but I do know that a few of the team were out during the week with the flu bug thing thats going around. Delighted for o Neill with the try and for Jody, but I definitely agree about brewer, he just doesn't seem on form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

fox_1973 wrote: »
    The first thing I noticed was the pack size difference alright, not sure why Thornton wasn't playing but I do know that a few of the team were out during the week with the flu bug thing thats going around. Delighted for o Neill with the try and for Jody, but I definitely agree about brewer, he just doesn't seem on form

Is Carroll playing hooker ? And will he be fit for the cup ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement