Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Schools Rugby 2012-2013 [Provincial Schools Thread Link in Post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Is Carroll playing hooker ? And will he be fit for the cup ?
    Yes he is and today was his first match back so remains to be seen if he makes the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

fox_1973 wrote: »
    The first thing I noticed was the pack size difference alright, not sure why Thornton wasn't playing but I do know that a few of the team were out during the week with the flu bug thing thats going around. Delighted for o Neill with the try and for Jody, but I definitely agree about brewer, he just doesn't seem on form

I would definitely have Carroll in the squad for his sheer size. And Terenure need that. Brewer actually looks tired to me. He's played alot of rugby this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Quint2010 wrote: »

I would definitely have Carroll in the squad for his sheer size. And Terenure need that. Brewer actually looks tired to me. He's played alot of rugby this year.
    They definitely need him for his size, the forward pack just don't look big enough, really think its the week link

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭TheTalk

Pre season means nothing, lack of motivation at this stage. Terenure will win the cup. And brewer, dardis , Fromm and jack o'neill will go strait to the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Leinster5

It is quite clear that Blackrock and St. Michaels have the two biggest packs by some distance. St. Michaels battered Terenure upfront earlier this year, while Blackrock just got torn apart by Terenure's backline. Heard that Terenure and Michaels were missing a few players, especially St. Michaels who are still without Kelleher according to their site.

• Advertisement

Leinster5 wrote: »
    It is quite clear that Blackrock and St. Michaels have the two biggest packs by some distance. St. Michaels battered Terenure upfront earlier this year, while Blackrock just got torn apart by Terenure's backline. Heard that Terenure and Michaels were missing a few players, especially St. Michaels who are still without Kelleher according to their site.

Terenure were only missing one player-Paddy Thornton-today.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭gfitz95

Michaels were missing 4 internationals today,Mccarthy,Kelleher,Molony nd Murphy.Think they were full strength apart from that however.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 redsoxallday

gfitz95 wrote: »
    Michaels were missing 4 internationals today,Mccarthy,Kelleher,Molony nd Murphy.Think they were full strength apart from that however.

michaels have a thing on their site, that gives the team and scorers from matches and has their last two games in it. i don't understand why lots of their main players aren't playing. I saw them against Saint andrews and they were missing loads. the four internationals today, looks similar last week,no steve harold and leinster players on the bench. I find it highly improbable that all these are injured

[QUOTE=redsoxallday;82655274]michaels have a thing on their site, that gives the team and scorers from matches and has their last two games in it. i don't understand why lots of their main players aren't playing. I saw them against Saint andrews and they were missing loads. the four internationals today, looks similar last week,no steve harold and leinster players on the bench. I find it highly improbable that all these are injured[/QUOTE]

Have a link to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

• Advertisement

gfitz95 wrote: »
    Well the fact they've won their last 4 or 5 games without these players, just shows the strength in depth they have. That's one of the main reasons I've stuck my money on them, they have the quality to come off the bench and also have next to no weaknesses, unlike Blackrock and Terenure who have a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Vanilla_Ice

Well the fact they've won their last 4 or 5 games without these players, just shows the strength in depth they have. That's one of the main reasons I've stuck my money on them, they have the quality to come off the bench and also have next to no weaknesses, unlike Blackrock and Terenure who have a few.
    When are you going to admit that you didn't go to clongowes but went michaels instead? You are far too biased towards them to be from anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Marys beat Wallace 26-10.

Terenure's pack is hardly small it's plenty big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

If they've no weaknesses and Terenure and Blackrock do would Michaels no be favourites?

Blackrock now second favourites ahead of 'Michaels..

When are you going to admit that you didn't go to clongowes but went michaels instead? You are far too biased towards them to be from anywhere else.
    Maybe if you've followed this thread and last years, you'd know I went to St. Michaels for a few years before moving to Clongowes for the Senior Cycle. I don't see how I'm being bias, considering I was constantly gloating about Clongowes' "dream team" last year and look how we ended up. So, please explain to me on why St. Michaels don't have a chance this year ?

Blackrock now second favourites ahead of 'Michaels..
    Interesting, but I doubt any team really focus on what odds hang over them during the competition. Sure I remember Clongowes being 2/5 at some stage during last years Cup and look what happened!

Maybe if you've followed this thread and last years, you'd know I went to St. Michaels for a few years before moving to Clongowes for the Senior Cycle. I don't see how I'm being bias, considering I was constantly gloating about Clongowes' "dream team" last year and look how we ended up. So, please explain to me on why St. Michaels don't have a chance this year ?
    Very sorry for not having known the history of your second level education and I really dont recollect saying michaels have no chance, I just think your bias has gone too far. Michaels are a great side but you constantly make them out to be miles better than every other team, make up excuses for them when they do badly, and you seem to rebute anyone else who talks up other teams. Maybe just broaden your mind and try to look past michaels and clongowes? Also if you went to michaels for three years why did you say you were ashamed to say you had put money on them?

Very sorry for not having known the history of your second level education and I really dont recollect saying michaels have no chance, I just think your bias has gone too far. Michaels are a great side but you constantly make them out to be miles better than every other team, make up excuses for them when they do badly, and you seem to rebute anyone else who talks up other teams. Maybe just broaden your mind and try to look past michaels and clongowes? Also if you went to michaels for three years why did you say you were ashamed to say you had put money on them?
    The only team I've talked down this year is Clongowes, because they just simply aren't good enough. St. Michaels, Terenure & Blackrock are all potential winners, I just think St. Michaels are the best team this year, which isn't a ridiculous statement. I was ashamed for sticking money on St. Michaels because I, along with several other Clongowes past pupils have stuck money on Clongowes for the past 4 years, and since I spent more than 6 years in Clongowes, it felt weird sticking my money on another school other than Clongowes. Out of curiosity, who are you tipping for the cup this year ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Michael's are a very good side this year, and that's coming from a Belvo man. This thread is by far the most biased one on Boards, but having said that I hate it when people throw around the "you're biased for saying X is going to beat Y". I don't think it's fair to single out Leinster5 on the old "bias" charge when, in fact, to talk up Michael's and talk down Clongowes is a rational opinion based on pre-season form and representatives.

• Advertisement

The only team I've talked down this year is Clongowes, because they just simply aren't good enough. St. Michaels, Terenure & Blackrock are all potential winners, I just think St. Michaels are the best team this year, which isn't a ridiculous statement. I was ashamed for sticking money on St. Michaels because I, along with several other Clongowes past pupils have stuck money on Clongowes for the past 4 years, and since I spent more than 6 years in Clongowes, it felt weird sticking my money on another school other than Clongowes. Out of curiosity, who are you tipping for the cup this year ?
    I think rock will do it

I think claiming a schools team has next to no weaknesses is slightly OTT.

I honestly wouldn't like to call it until I see them all in their first games. The last few pre season games for each (with the exception of Rock in Methody) have been half team and as a result performances haven't been realistic. First games will be the first time in a while they all go for it properly and easier to judge against each other. It's going to be very close I feel.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I honestly wouldn't like to call it until I see them all in their first games. The last few pre season games for each (with the exception of Rock in Methody) have been half team and as a result performances haven't been realistic. First games will be the first time in a while they all go for it properly and easier to judge against each other. It's going to be very close I feel.
    Good post! Apart from Blackrock, most of the other schools haven't fielded their strongest 15 thus far. It's good that Blackrock, St. Michaels & Terenure all have big tests in the opening rounds. Could there be an upset ?

Good post! Apart from Blackrock, most of the other schools haven't fielded their strongest 15 thus far. It's good that Blackrock, St. Michaels & Terenure all have big tests in the opening rounds. Could there be an upset ?

Of course there could be-Michaels were haunted last year not to go out in the first round. Don't think there will be any cricket scores this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 podo

Knock will put it up to Michaels, I wouldnt say that it will be foregone conclusion. There was time when knock would hockey Michaels and it was that long ago. These things go in cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Gonzaga are more than capable of beating Blackrock . With Mckeon and Lavelle they can match anyone on their day . As for Castleknock vs Michaels- that will be some game !!

Gonzaga are more than capable of beating Blackrock . With Mckeon and Lavelle they can match anyone on their day . As for Castleknock vs Michaels- that will be some game !!
    I'd expect Blackrock to beat Gonzaga, but not by much. St. Michaels must perform or could be in for a big test. One upset that hasn't been discussed is Belvedere beating Terenure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

I'd expect Blackrock to beat Gonzaga, but not by much. St. Michaels must perform or could be in for a big test. One upset that hasn't been discussed is Belvedere beating Terenure?

They came close to upsetting Clongowes and Rock during the pre-season and if they perform they can definitely cause Terenure some headaches. Can't see them actually beating them but could certainly run them close if they get up and running.

• Advertisement

They came close to upsetting Clongowes and Rock during the pre-season and if they perform they can definitely cause Terenure some headaches. Can't see them actually beating them but could certainly run them close if they get up and running.
    Saw Belvo' play against Blackrock and Clongowes earlier this year. They don't have a great backline, but their pack are huge. Their scrum is their weapon, very like Clongowes' scrum last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Thoughts on Paddy Power's odds? 6/5 on 'Nure perhaps a little generous? I'd probably rate Michaels joint second favourites with Blackrock rather than third

Thoughts on Paddy Power's odds? 6/5 on 'Nure perhaps a little generous? I'd probably rate Michaels joint second favourites with Blackrock rather than third

In fairness Rock at 5/2 and Michaels 13/5 they're basically calling them joint 2nd, there's very little in that.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    In fairness Rock at 5/2 and Michaels 13/5 they're basically calling them joint 2nd, there's very little in that.
    The odds will change every week. In schools rugby it's very hard to have accurate odds on 16-18 year olds. I expected Terenure to be favorites, but I didn't expect St. Michaels to be 3rd favorites prior to the cup. Clongowes shouldn't be near 7/1, Roscrea should be ahead of them.

By generous you mean not generous at all ie they should be longer odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Player14

I think Nure vs Belvo will be much closer than people think. Belvo will be able to challenge them up front as their pack is much bigger but i doubt there backs will. Also, all three junior teams that make up the Castleknock SCT were knocked out by the same school, Michaels. Should make for an interesting game. Gonzaga also very underrated with one of the top two half-back pairings in the cup.

• Advertisement

By generous you mean not generous at all ie they should be longer odds?
    Well yeah I mean at 6/5 that's nearly evens, don't get me wrong Terenure have a brilliant team and they deserve the place of favourites but I just don't think they're good enough to warrant 6/5 odds is all

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Younger

Belvo had a good win in Crescent at the weekend. Again the pack played very well and scored a couple of tries. Defence was excellent, only leaking a dodgy try in the last minute. Coming along nicely.

Younger wrote: »
    Belvo had a good win in Crescent at the weekend. Again the pack played very well and scored a couple of tries. Defence was excellent, only leaking a dodgy try in the last minute. Coming along nicely.
    Yeah to be honest I think the pack is a part of the game in which Belvo will probably be able to dominate Terenure - this years Belvo pack is the biggest I've ever seen at school level...although Terenure backs will obviously outclass Belvo's

Yeah to be honest I think the pack is a part of the game in which Belvo will probably be able to dominate Terenure - this years Belvo pack is the biggest I've ever seen at school level...although Terenure backs will obviously outclass Belvo's

Well no harm for Terenure to have faced another enormous pack in Methody. Problem is Methody scored 3 tries of driving mauls from line outs. Perhaps an area for Belvedere to target.

Well no harm for Terenure to have faced another enormous pack in Methody. Problem is Methody scored 3 tries of driving mauls from line outs. Perhaps an area for Belvedere to target.
    Yeah definitely, I'm sure Terenure are aware of this though - they'll presumebly come up with a strategy to prevent that happening, although the pack could be an area of vulnerability to be exploited if they faced the likes of 'Rock or Michaels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Vullet93

I've heard from a few lads in Belvo that One of their props; Stephen McDonnell is an absolute mutant, Healy-esque. He also does amateur powerlifting outside of rugby too, Haven't seen the team play yet but should be interesting to see what kind of havoc the pack cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

What's with all this hype surrounding Belvo all of a sudden?They've done nothing to suggest being genuine contenders,they were poor at J's level 3 years ago and have virtually no Leinster reps yet people seem to think they can beat Terenure.

funtime93 wrote: »
    What's with all this hype surrounding Belvo all of a sudden?They've done nothing to suggest being genuine contenders,they were poor at J's level 3 years ago and have virtually no Leinster reps yet people seem to think they can beat Terenure.

Terenure being beaten by Methody seems to have sent shock waves all over Leinster. Belvedere may think they have a genuine chance now. Can only be good for Terenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Terenure being beaten by Methody seems to have sent shock waves all over Leinster. Belvedere may think they have a genuine chance now. Can only be good for Terenure.

Im always of the opinion that any team with a huge pack and tactical 9 and 10 can cause upsets. Judging by what iv heard about Belvo's pack they might have a chance then.

funtime93 wrote: »
    Nah they're probably not contenders, Terenure's backs will make sure of that - all Belvo have is their monstrous pack which may cause problems...Blackrock didn't have a particularly difficult time with them, although Terenure's pack is on the smaller side by comparison

Nah they're probably not contenders, Terenure's backs will make sure of that - all Belvo have is their monstrous pack which may cause problems...Blackrock didn't have a particularly difficult time with them, although Terenure's pack is on the smaller side by comparison
    I was at the Belvedere vs Blackrock game a few weeks ago. Blackrock only just beat Belvedere. Belvedere will certainly be no pushovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

In the run up to the cup last year, people on here started talking up belvo saying that an upset was on the cards against clongowes. They then got hammered.

I have seen them this year and nothing I saw led me to believe that they were capable of doing much and all that improved from last year. Terenure by 15+ for me.

All Belvo need to cause Terenure a bit of trouble is for the weather to be bad. Rain and wind may lead to a forwards battle which would be closer.

I was at the Belvedere vs Blackrock game a few weeks ago. Blackrock only just beat Belvedere. Belvedere will certainly be no pushovers.
    Yeah you're right there although I'm fairly sure Blackrock were without their Leinster players for that match

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Vullet93

Any word on how KH is looking? i know their team is meant to be much better than last years, such a shame that one of their strongest ever teams in 2010 drew one of the strongest ever schools teams in the first round, talk about bad luck.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement