Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are People forgetting about Sega and Nintendo

Options
  • 15-06-2012 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

with the new generation of gamers who wouldnt know about nintendo or sega rivalry back in the day i have noticed people dismissing these two companies for sony and microsoft. granted sega have being out of the console business for 11 years but it seems the nintendo way and sega way is being dismissed by i can only describe and the new mainstream gaming. for an example my sister and few of my close friends who when they see me play a nintendo game they say:

1. it looks kiddy
    2. not as good as past games or
    3. i rather play call of duty or they have grown up and cant play those games anymore cause they arent mature games.

when it comes to sega people say sega are **** now or dont even acknowledge any of their titles except sonic.

i think its a very worrying thing ,to me atleast going down this narrow path where movie like experienced games are over shadowing the two veteran companies who have being pumping out some of the best titles and both who have done wonders to make console gaming the way it has being up to this point. i have nothing against sony or microsoft but one couldnt exsist without nintendo and the other couldnt exsist without sega in the gaming hardware business.

i have being more of a sega fan than nintendo but i appericate both equal cause they have being doing the same things they have being doing since the beginning , sega stays true to its arcade feel while nintendo makes experiences and wow fun factor. with sony and microsoft i cant help but feel they are going for the movie like experience where its cut scene over gameplay.

i end it by saying this , its really sad to see people say sega should just close down or nintendo should stop making consoles cause despite everything these two Japanese giants have had and still have a important part in this industry and i don't think its right to criticize them for everything they have done and bringing smiles to millions of peoples faces.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

'Tis a new generation. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

lol, What are you on about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I stopped about line 4. Paragraphs, please. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I can see a case for Sega becoming increasingly irrelevant among a newer generation, but Nintendo essentially ran away with this era, at least financially, with the Wii selling 30 million more units than its closest competitor globally (360), and the DS coming in at over double the sales of the PSP.

Now assuming the auld "gamer" maxim that "Nintendo only make games for children", I'll vouch for the fact that there'll another generation popping up, and another generation popping up et al, that'll have been raised on good, AAA Nintendo games, and as a consequence, will demand similar games, a niche none other than Nintendo can only fill. They'll be fine.

Unless, of course, they release a 32X and a CD add-on in quick succession, then as rapidly drop support for both in favour of a new console, which they rush to market, screwing retailers and developers not having had time to acquaint themselves with the system tech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Sorry lads , dont know what i was thinking :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Sorry lads , dont know what i was thinking :pac:

Lay off the booze Richy.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

What about the Commodore ! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What about the Commodore ! :cool:

Pffft. Spectrum was better. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Pffft. Spectrum was better. :)

Nah man, Atari Jaguar all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Abacus ftw! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nowadays everybody wants to talk like they have got something to say. But nothing, nada, comes out when they move their lips. It's just a bunch of gibberish! So I ask you: where are the mother****ers at? They forgot about Sega.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Mr Saturn makes a fair point in post 5 but I'd go even further and say rather than gamers abandoning nintendo, nintendo abandoned gamers. At least, their traditional support base. Now I know nintendo is not my friend, it is a big company and its goal is to make money and they have done that with the Wii, but as someone who grew up with a SNES, N64 and Gamecube I feel betrayed by the Wii.
    I never saw nintendo as 'kiddyish,' different, original and refreshing certainly but not kiddyish because regardless of how games looked they were always fun, brilliantly crafted and value for money.
    With the Wii what you have is a deluge of third party pick-up-and-play knock offs that get boring after 10 minutes.
    I know that's not nintendos fault, I know there are a number of real gems on the Wii, but by and large I feel like nintendo said "fuck you, were gonna hang out with these assholes who have loads of money and like Wii Sports."
    Childish and stupid I know but I cant help it.
    I have an XBox now and while it too has some gems (portal, de blob) it's littered with FPS clones and I often find myself longing for a Mario or Zelda.

PS - Im fully aware of what a loser I am, I have learned to accept it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I remember asking my brother what games he wanted for Christmas since he had a 360. So he told me something similar to Mario. After much searching(as in looking at the list of 360 games on wiki) the only retail game I could find was Banjo and Kazooie as the only platformer. This was before Rayman Origins

• Registered Users Posts: 27,336 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

To be honest I'm doing my best to forget about Sega. Aside from Valkyeria Chronicles and Vanquish at a push, they've done little worth bothering about this generation.

To be honest I'm doing my best to forget about Sega. Aside from Valkyeria Chronicles and Vanquish at a push, they've done little worth bothering about this generation.

Bayonetta? it was fuckin awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Even if you think they haven't done much in this current gen, they still have a massive back catalog of amazing games which can still be played. I somehow doubt you've played them all! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Now I know nintendo is not my friend, it is a big company and its goal is to make money

Um...I hate to break it to you, but that's the goal of every company. From that point of view Nintendo have never been your friend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Me and Shigeru go way back, yo.

tumblr_lwas7oOYWm1r8umx7o1_500.jpg

if we were back in 2003-2008 i would agree with you but since then sega has redeemed there selves and a rapidly improving

this gen im not counting their games they published have brought out

House of the Dead 4 and House of the dead overkill
    Sonic Colours , Sonic 4 episode 1 and 2 and sonic generations
    Yakuza 3,4 and dead souls
    Valkyria chronicles 1 and 2
    Sega rally
    Total war series
    Spiral Knights
    Football Manager
    Rhythm theif and the emperor treasure
    porting over a remastered version of JSR and talks of shenmue and skies of arcadia.
    Nights Journey of dreams ( despite its bashing by critic one of my favourite games this gen )
    sonic and sega all star racing series
    bringing over wonder boy games , alex kidd and monster world 4
    Binary Domain
    Shinobi 3ds
    Phantasy Star online 2 and Phantasy star portable 1 and 2
    Etc..
    all fantastic titles sega have up in the past 4 years , they are doing just as much if not more than other companies this gen , but hey im a sega fanboy so prob you think all these titles are **** :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Opinicus wrote: »
    Nah man, Atari Jaguar all the way.

most polls would agree with you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks like people want to talk about this, so I formatted the OP. Sorry Richy. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    Looks like people want to talk about this, so I formatted the OP. Sorry Richy. :)

No worries rather see this post terminated at this point since seemed bit weird to post , my fanboy heart got the best of me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I always enjoyed the rivalry between Sonic and Mario. Sickening to see they are in the same games these days.

Soooooooo Sonic or Mario?

mario-vs-sonic-1b4x.jpg

Um...I hate to break it to you, but that's the goal of every company. From that point of view Nintendo have never been your friend.

.......:confused: I know. That's exactly what I say in my post

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

That Sega collection game yokey on PS2 eyetoy was sooooooooo good until I scratched the disc :rolleyes: Sonic heroes was really fun too.
    Other than that Sonic kart racing game I don't think I've played and a sega game on xbox 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

.......:confused: I know. That's exactly what I say in my post

If you know that, then how can you possibly feel "betrayed"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

People also think the Wii has "no games". Say what you want about the power of the console or the reliance on motion control but that statement in itself is ****ing dumb so it doesn't really surprise me if those same people are forgetting about Nintendo.

As for SEGA, they've been responsible for two of my fave games this generation, Vanquish and Bayonetta, as well as a bunch of other ones I've enjoyed the hell out of such as Condemned, Mad World and Binary Domain. They're also publishing Ron Gilbert / Double Fine's new game, The Cave as well as (hopefully in EU/US) Anarchy Reigns, Hell Yeah! and Aliens:Colonial Marines. So yea, anyone who says they should just close down can go and **** themselves to be honest.

The problem with Sega is that they aren't as good a developer as they once were. As good as Platinum's output are, Sega are merely the publishers for a third-party studio. And while there has been good first party Sega output - such as Yakuza (and despite the enjoyability of those games, there is a slight reek of cheap money-making franchise there, hopefully rectified by the next entry), Rhythm Thief etc... - they are without a doubt no longer the creative force they once were.

Nintendo, on the other hand, have made a few 'false' steps quality wise, but increasingly few commercially. They've been responsible for several of the most inventive, ambitious and enjoyable games of the last decade, and with recent titles like Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, Kid Icarus etc... they show no sign of stopping.

The problem with Sega is that they aren't as good a developer as they once were. As good as Platinum's output are, Sega are merely the publishers for a third-party studio. And while there has been good first party Sega output - such as Yakuza (and despite the enjoyability of those games, there is a slight reek of cheap money-making franchise there, hopefully rectified by the next entry), Rhythm Thief etc... - they are without a doubt no longer the creative force they once were.

Nintendo, on the other hand, have made a few 'false' steps quality wise, but increasingly few commercially. They've been responsible for several of the most inventive, ambitious and enjoyable games of the last decade, and with recent titles like Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, Kid Icarus etc... they show no sign of stopping.

Sega first party studios still make great games , that being said i agree they are not what they once where but thats cause i believe when they were console manufacture they had to create great games , but now they dont have create much and just publish games but the list i made above are number of fantastic titles that show they are still revelent , after when simon jeffery left and soon michael hayes sega are driving forward to make the sega name mean something again. Thing is its hard for sega to get back to old titles cause they were on dying systems .. Im thinking thats why when jsr comes out if it sells well there might be new addition in the series, even great to see vitua fighter 5 surpassing sega ambition in japan alone in one week , judging by psn its near 1000 players from people who rated the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

The problem with Sega is that they aren't as good a developer as they once were.

Fully agree with this (posted something similar in the Sega forum). For me their decline as a developer coincided with their demise in the console business. Still love them but their output just isn't up to their standard of old (with the exception of Valkyria Chronicles which I love).

Advertisement