Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are People forgetting about Sega and Nintendo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I don't think Sega promote themselves enough, maybe it's a by-product of ceasing to make consoles. Sony/Nintendo/MS push really hard for their hardware and games, and even the bigger publishers do as well with Ubisoft having a huge presence this year at E3. They have their history and that is how most remember them but when speaking of newer stuff the fact that it's theirs is second in my mind.

I love Creative Assembly games but i forget Sega has anything to do with it until their name pops up on the screen. They make some great games but they need to tie it to their own brand better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

...even great to see vitua fighter 5 surpassing sega ambition in japan alone in one week , judging by psn its near 1000 players from people who rated the game.

Is that not because it was free with PS+ this month? :P

Nintendo will be around for a long time, as no matter what Sony and MS try, Nintendo will be the family favourite and usually the first console bought by parents for children (it keeps my 5 year old Autistic nephew entertained for hours, whereas i don't believe the PS3 or 360 would). Nintendo have a children-friendly image, and they always will imo, but they do also do "adult" titles, like Mad World, and the difficulty in the newer Mario games can verge on hair-pulling at times.

As for Sega, they are imo very western and their best games seem to be Western ports. Again, my opinion and could be well off, but if i'm not mistaken they're doing well in the West?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Is that not because it was free with PS+ this month? :P

Nintendo will be around for a long time, as no matter what Sony and MS try, Nintendo will be the family favourite and usually the first console bought by parents for children (it keeps my 5 year old Autistic nephew entertained for hours, whereas i don't believe the PS3 or 360 would). Nintendo have a children-friendly image, and they always will imo, but they do also do "adult" titles, like Mad World, and the difficulty in the newer Mario games can verge on hair-pulling at times.

As for Sega, they are imo very western and their best games seem to be Western ports. Again, my opinion and could be well off, but if i'm not mistaken they're doing well in the West?

hmm i think you are probably right bout ps subscribers lol ..
    sega make a majority of thier money in europe , then japan then america.
    their biggest hitters in the west are sonic , total war series and mario and sonic games , everything else sales well but those titles are very good.
    its hurts me when i see sega keeping their big guns at japan .. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I grew up with Sega, it was my choice, them over Nintendo. But with the Arrival of the PS1, N64, games started looking better and Sega and Nintendo became retro for me quickly, and looked pretty childish. And I still think the same now. I'm not a mainstream gamer exactly, I just tend to play games with a lengthier time investment and a nice reward from the end , most recently LoL, WoW, Diablo etc. (Still have Max Payne 3 in wrapping , got it day before release)

I would be hard pushed to ever look at Nintendo or Sega again, for me, obviously Nintendo only in this regard, are just for young children..

Gaming now has spawned a large choice for gamers, before it was just play single player games, or have mates in the house to play. Now you have games hitting so many depths and so many genres and play styles. I tend to focus more on the MP games where I consisntently play with the same group of fellas, and we tend to all pickup new games together

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I've noticed the name Valkyria Chronicles being tossed around a lot in this thread, so I decided to investigate, and see what it's all about by checking out a few vids on youtube. Not sure if it would be my cup of tea, gameplay-wise, be my god it's a beautiful! Absolutely stunning looking game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

deathrider wrote: »
    I've noticed the name Valkyria Chronicles being tossed around a lot in this thread, so I decided to investigate, and see what it's all about by checking out a few vids on youtube. Not sure if it would be my cup of tea, gameplay-wise, be my god it's a beautiful! Absolutely stunning looking game.

Pah, turned off the video when I saw it was turn based. I facking hate turn based, only game I played through that was turn based was some mech game on the PS1. Turn based ruins games for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Pah, turned off the video when I saw it was turn based. I facking hate turn based, only game I played through that was turn based was some mech game on the PS1. Turn based ruins games for me.

I'm not a huge fan of this style myself either. I was more the art-style that caught my eye. It just looks really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

People who dont like valkyria chronicles have no soul :pac:

Im serious :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Turn based for some, miniature American flags for others.

Advertisement