Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know how to register a Business name?

Options
  • 15-06-2012 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Does anyone know how to register a Business name or register as a Sole Trader, does it take a long time and if there is any way to make the process faster, I read about a person who called to explain that until the Business name was registered he could not invoice or open a Bank account, he spoke to a person in the Registration department who processed the application over the phone, is it possible to do this and does anyone know if there is anything I could do to make the process any faster?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

http://www.cro.ie/ena/business-registration-business-name.aspx

CRO website - register as an individual. Not sure on the waiting times at the minute, usually its not that long 2-3 weeks id say. Don't know of any way to speed it up but would doubt the details of the above are correct that someone registered over the phone as this is the process everyone has to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

It should't take more than a week. Did one recently.
    They examine each application in detail these days, so if your business address and home address are the same, they want to know why..... had mine returned for this reason!
    Make sure you print the 'signing page' in high quality..... they are fussy about the quality of the bar code on the page, had mine returned for this reason a second time!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭karlkarlson

so if your business address and home address are the same, they want to know why.

earpiece, I'm curious as to what the issue would be here if they are one in the same?

earpiece, I'm curious as to what the issue would be here if they are one in the same?

So was I..... to quote the reason on the accompaning letter:

"....it appears that the business is located at your residential address. Given the nature of your business it would seem more appropriate that your business would be better located at a commercial premises. If you will be using your residential address as your place of business please return your application with a cover letter setting out how you will be carrying out business at your residential address, ie confirming if you will be using a workshop/home office......"etc.

As if it should matter to them, after all it is 'registration of a name'...... had me steaming.
    For the record, my business is light manufacturing of consumer electronics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

The only time that I have come across this is where the nature of the business was such that it was clear that the business address and the home address could not be the same. ie it could not be a work from home type business.

Regards

dbran

• Advertisement

earpiece, was it straightforward once you put the cover letter together i.e. no issue with the addresses being the same?

earpiece, was it straightforward once you put the cover letter together i.e. no issue with the addresses being the same?

It was no trouble, just sent them a letter saying that there was a plan to move elsewhere once I could open a bank account in the name of the business .... which I needed the business name registered for!
    It would seem to me, that the first step you take in starting a business is to register the name, so most likely a business start up would begin at home, then bank accounts, then premises, etc.
    I have registered business names in years past in which I used just my home address and this is the first time it was queried...... my guess is that the CRO are not as busy as they used to be and are now perhaps a bit more attentive.

Good to hear, earpiece.

One last question on that (sorry to hijack the thread but I think OP's question is perhaps answered):

Have you ever been subject for charges for running a home business? I haven't investigated it yet but I thought I saw some talk elsewhere about paying rates for operating out of your home so I'd like to know since we'll likely be doing this for at least 12 months.

Good to hear, earpiece.

One last question on that (sorry to hijack the thread but I think OP's question is perhaps answered):

Have you ever been subject for charges for running a home business? I haven't investigated it yet but I thought I saw some talk elsewhere about paying rates for operating out of your home so I'd like to know since we'll likely be doing this for at least 12 months.

Rates are a council issue, if the building is zoned retail/commercial/industrial etc, then it would be rated. If you are using a shed or a room in your house, then I'd say you'd have to apply for change of use and have it rated..... but really I reckon unless you have a very large outhouse or agri building, it's not something you have to worry about.
    Above said though, there may be others here whom might be able to give you more solid advice on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

My wife and I are running our businesses from our home and I asked the accountant if we would be eligible for rates. His answer from what I remember was that the nature of our businesses and the fact we were only using 1 room as an office meant we didn't have to pay rates.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies, I'll check it out for sure.

Advertisement