Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ear hematoma

• 15-06-2012 2:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭

So I think my dog has burst a vessel. Brother touch the dogs ear and thinks it feels like what he had before on the other ear.

Is there anything I can do without going to the vet. Last time he stuck needle in his ear for the blood to come out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

No he will need a vet. Generally they make an s shaped incision, drain and flush it and suture it back up using something like buttons, card or plastic to hold it tight together. Then bandage the whole head and stick on a cone. Not sure why they only drained it with a needle the last time, was the whole ear flap swollen?

I'd get them to check inside his ears too. Usually these form because of constant head shaking or scratching at the ear, which would indicate an infection or mites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭cena

Zapperzy wrote: »
    No he will need a vet. Generally they make an s shaped incision, drain and flush it and suture it back up using something like buttons, card or plastic to hold it tight together. Then bandage the whole head and stick on a cone. Not sure why they only drained it with a needle the last time, was the whole ear flap swollen?

I'd get them to check inside his ears too. Usually these form because of constant head shaking or scratching at the ear, which would indicate an infection or mites.

It was swollen but not major. This vet doesn't do any operations at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Some vets will drain it with a needle if they dont think its serious but if it reoccurs surgery is nearly always indicated. With the surgery there is a reduced risk of the haematoma developing again, compared to just draining it with a needle so talk to your vet about it, they probably have a partnering vet who they refer surgical cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭cena

All is fine guys. Not thing wrong his ear. Brother touched the wrong ear

Advertisement